• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
5b0586ff1ae66252008b498a

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Priyanka Chopra is a really shitty person and a hypocrite who should not be celebrated at all:
www.cnn.com

Pakistani actress: The problem with Priyanka Chopra | CNN

Rather than use her position as a US-based celebrity to broaden what it means to be an Indian celebrity, with a tweet -- and then scoffing comment in response to a questioner over Kashmir -- UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Chopra fell into the same jingoistic role that her fellow countrymen are...
^she made on apology for that this year… after years of profiting from it

Damn I didn't know she was that awful before this thread. Only thing I've actually seen her in is the White Tiger, and her character in it is hilariously fitting for her in hindsight now that I think about it

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read the whole thread but the premise doesn't sound morally repugnant like the OP is implying to me. The show still serves as a platform to raise awareness of the participants causes, regardless of whether they win the competition. If a game show is what gets people's eyeballs then so what? This doesn't have to be a zero sum game. Everyone besides the winner potentially benefits from the increased exposure. A lot will depend on the tone of the show, and how they handle points and eliminations. They have to be careful of not conveying a message that eliminated participants causes were not worthy enough.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't read the whole thread but the premise doesn't sound morally repugnant like the OP is implying to me. The show still serves as a platform to raise awareness of the participants causes, regardless of whether they win the competition. If a game show is what gets people's eyeballs then so what? This doesn't have to be a zero sum game. Everyone besides the winner potentially benefits from the increased exposure. A lot will depend on the tone of the show, and how they handle points and eliminations. They have to be careful of not conveying a message that eliminated participants causes were not worthy enough.

It does sound that bad...there are limits...this gross for so many reasons. While obviously the resourcing the 'winner' achieves could make a difference to them, I think the wider message this sends is much more problematic. It trivialises and infantalises the work that many activists do. The choice of hosts are also problematic. Its crude, it is shallow, and its unhelpful to many of us fighting to take us beyond the mindnumbing state of much contemporary culture.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It does sound that bad...there are limits...this gross for so many reasons. While obviously the resourcing the 'winner' achieves could make a difference to them, I think the wider message this sends is much more problematic. It trivialises and infantalises the work that many activists do. The choice of hosts are also problematic. Its crude, it is shallow, and its unhelpful to many of us fighting to take us beyond the mindnumbing state of much contemporary culture.
I think it really does depend on the execution. It's not like fundraising or charity work is limited to making calls or going door to door. Charities run concerts, lotteries, dinners, social media events (eg the ice bucket challenge) and use many other strategies which engage an audience through shallow entertainment. All of this still raises awareness and funds. Some of this may be fleeting and not deep engagement but it's worthwhile nonetheless.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I think it really does depend on the execution. It's not like fundraising or charity work is limited to making calls or going door to door. Charities run concerts, lotteries, dinners, social media events (eg the ice bucket challenge) and use many other strategies which engage an audience through shallow entertainment. All of this still raises awareness and funds. Some of this may be fleeting and not deep engagement but it's worthwhile nonetheless.

Awareness is one part. Cooption, trivialisation and sanitization is another. Sure it might provide resources. I am involved in quite a number of campaigns and we could always do with more resources. I am not sure if I know any activists who would like this shit though. Some NGOs might though...and my experience is obviously anecdotal...it is a huge field. But I see this is having limited positive impact overall, and more problems by association and trivialisation. It is about resources and awareness, but it is not only that. Ultimately, to me this just looks like too much of a fucking piss take.

Menthuss

Oct 27, 2017
Christ, how morally depraved do you have to be in order to think this is even remotely a good idea?

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Justice signaling monetization of activism. They might well have called it Oppression Olympics to top it off. Who the hell greenlit this?! So these entities have the actual wherewithal financially & the resources, to help people but first they need to go through trivial song and dance for consideration? I agree with everyone in this thread how this is morally bankrupt.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I'm out of the loop. What did these hosts do prior to this show that makes people think "Yeah, those three people are exactly the type to host a show like this"?

Edit: I mean apart from Priyanka, who I remember reading about when I first saw this thread.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I didn't know she was that awful before this thread. Only thing I've actually seen her in is the White Tiger, and her character in it is hilariously fitting for her in hindsight now that I think about it

Ah yes, forgot she was a crappy individual for other reasons. Cannot stand this woman. She's like the Indian sister of Gal Gadot, I swear. The less stuff they are in, the better. Already annoyed she's in Matrix 4, ugghhhhh.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
The linked twitter thread a few posts up sadly removes all benefit of the doubt.

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
I haven't read the whole thread but the premise doesn't sound morally repugnant like the OP is implying to me.

Conceptually, it isn't at all.

There are people who repulsed by the idea of activists going on a shark tank style pitches when in reality it's perfectly normal in the non profit sector for activists to make pitches to potential donors. Activists spend their time and they deserve to be compensated for it, so seeking funds is a necessary part of activism.

There are those who are repulsed by the idea of them having to compete for funding, and to be honest this isn't necessarily a bad thing either. There a lot of organizations who have the best of intentions but don't have the strategic or operational skills to follow through on their goals. They may genuinely want to change the world but they often lack the basic competencies you would expect from a non profit and to give them money is just wasting money you could have given to someone who knows what they are doing. Not to mention there are non profits that are straight up scams.

It's understandable to not like this being turned into a TV show for entertainment, but even if you lose the competition the free press you might get from being on a TV may be worth tens if not hundreds of thousands that the non profits won't be able to make on their own. Yeah, some shitty Hollywood producer may be getting new sports car out of the deal, but there is still quite of bit of incremental value for the non profit sector.

Again, I say that there isn't much wrong with this conceptually. As we've seen earlier in this thread, there are clearly some people who are less than fully reputable attached the project.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017

There are people who repulsed by the idea of activists going on a shark tank style pitches when in reality it's perfectly normal in the non profit sector for activists to make pitches to potential donors. Activists spend their time and they deserve to be compensated for it, so seeking funds is a necessary part of activism.

There are those who are repulsed by the idea of them having to compete for funding, and to be honest this isn't necessarily a bad thing either. There a lot of organizations who have the best of intentions but don't have the strategic or operational skills to follow through on their goals. They may genuinely want to change the world but they often lack the basic competencies you would expect from a non profit and to give them money is just wasting money you could have given to someone who knows what they are doing. Not to mention there are non profits that are straight up scams.

It's understandable to not like this being turned into a TV show for entertainment, but even if you lose the competition the free press you might get from being on a TV may be worth tens if not hundreds of thousands that the non profits won't be able to make on their own. Yeah, some shitty Hollywood producer may be getting new sports car out of the deal, but there is still quite of bit of incremental value for the non profit sector.

Again, I say that there isn't much wrong with this conceptually. As we've seen earlier in this thread, there are clearly some people who are less than fully reputable attached the project.
Activists go head-to-head in challenges to promote their causes, with their success measured via online engagement, social metrics, and hosts' input.
I would say the quoted bit suggests even the concept is flawed. Those elements do not inherently signify successful activism, just marketing and branding. None of this is going to demonstrate operation skills, abilities to reach/persuade stakeholders, organize, etc. It's just surface level stuff.

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
I would say the quoted bit suggests even the concept is flawed. Those elements do not inherently signify successful activism, just marketing and branding. None of this is going to demonstrate operation skills, abilities to reach/persuade stakeholders, organize, etc. It's just surface level stuff.

I missed that. That's a big Oof.

It sadly isn't surprising that the only metrics they care about are the intersection of what the non-profit needs and what can be used to sell ads.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Being Made for TV fundamentally changes this though. Let's look at Shark Tank as an analogous setup. The types of pitches being made to Shark Tank "investors" are NOT the types of pitches a startup/someone with a product idea would make to actual investors. There's a disingenuous amount of dramatization made for dumb TV audiences and even more dumbing down than usual. I think that's the biggest issue with this.

These activists aren't being asked to pitch their orgs/ideas for funding in earnest. They're being asked to tailor them to be game show competition worthy and it's gross

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Being Made for TV fundamentally changes this though. Let's look at Shark Tank as an analogous setup. The types of pitches being made to Shark Tank "investors" are NOT the types of pitches a startup/someone with a product idea would make to actual investors. There's a disingenuous amount of dramatization made for dumb TV audiences and even more dumbing down than usual. I think that's the biggest issue with this.

These activists aren't being asked to pitch their orgs/ideas for funding in earnest. They're being asked to tailor them to be game show competition worthy and it's gross

Yes, this is my issue with the concept.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Activists go head-to-head in challenges to promote their causes, with their success measured via online engagement, social metrics, and hosts' input.

lol. In other words, they're judged by how many people tweeted about the show to help boost the network's ratings. That's really funny.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the world where people film themselves doing things like giving homeless food or clothing or paying for them and post it online. They aren't doing it for the needy they are doing it for themselves. Of course a show like this exists . They could just use the budget of the show and paycheck to all these celebs and do 10,000 times more good

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't all the contestant's organizations getting more exposure just being on the show that they would without the show, especially if it's a success? Not sure what the uproar is here

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Aren't all the contestant's organizations getting more exposure just being on the show that they would without the show, especially if it's a success? Not sure what the uproar is here
"Ladies and gentlemen, three human rights enter the stage, but only one will win. Who will it be? Text your favorite human dignity to 1800-ACTIVIST or tweet your answer with hashing #HungryChild!"

Now, a word from our sponsor.

*seagulls flying. Nice scenic view of a beach with a happy family having fun*

"Dad: ExxonMobil has been the bedrock of our community for over 50 years...."

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The money being used to produce this show could go directly to said organizations as well. Ask yourself why they aren't doing this lol.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
"Ladies and gentlemen, three human rights enter the stage, but only one will win. Who will it be? Text your favorite human dignity to 1800-ACTIVIST or tweet your answer with hashing #HungryChild!"

Now, a word from our sponsor.

*seagulls flying. Nice scenic view of a beach with a happy family having fun*

"Dad: ExxonMobil has been the bedrock of our community for over 50 years...."

Habitat for Humanity...Your performance this week in Snatch Game had all the habi-tit, but none of the habi-tat.

I'm sorry my dear but you are up for elimination.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Habitat for Humanity...Your performance this week in Snatch Game had all the habi-tit, but none of the habi-tat.

I'm sorry my dear but you are up for elimination.
"I'm sorry, Children Cancer Foundation, your retweet quota is way below The Dodo. But don't worry you'll get another chance in a few months so tell the kids to just hang in there..."

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Priyanka fuckin sucks. Its a shame she's probably the most prominent Indian actress in hollywood and I gotta see her in Matrix

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's possible that someone could use the show for good ends if they were willing to put on a show but based on what they have shown so far it didn't seem on the up and up and the uproar was bad enough that even a winner with a good heart would be also fighting negative publicity for even being on the show lol

no idea what the change to a documentary will do either

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.bbc.co.uk

The Activist: Priyanka Chopra sorry for role on reality show

The show was originally pitched as a competition series but will now become a documentary.

Lol I called it, the although the show has already been filmed, it will be remade as a documentary and some stars have apologised. There has been a lot of backlash. I'm amazed no one (senior enough) thought this was a ridiculously bad idea

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Sad Easter, Xbox.

Whether they go through with this desperate salvage attempt, or it (preferably) ends up being canceled, I hope the production companies lose a bunch of money and partnerships and the assholes up top responsible for this travesty end up in need of charity.

www.bbc.co.uk

The Activist: Priyanka Chopra sorry for role on reality show

The show was originally pitched as a competition series but will now become a documentary.

Lol I called it, the although the show has already been filmed, it will be remade as a documentary and some stars have apologised. There has been a lot of backlash. I'm amazed no one (senior enough) thought this was a ridiculously bad idea
I'm inclined to believe they were being malicious assholes rather than stupid ones. They probably did realize how grim this show was and how fellow humans would respond to it, it seems impossible not to. They just didn't care because they thought this could be beneficial to themselves, reckoned the backlash wouldn't get this bad and could be used for publicity.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Priyanka fuckin sucks. Its a shame she's probably the most prominent Indian actress in hollywood and I gotta see her in Matrix
Yup, and she continues to support the ultra right wing BJP government in India and the ethnic cleansing/genocide.

edition.cnn.com

Pakistan calls on UNICEF to drop actress Priyanka Chopra as an ambassador | CNN

Pakistan has demanded that Indian actress Priyanka Chopra be stripped of her UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador role, saying that her "support for war" and the Indian government amid heightened tensions in the disputed region of Kashmir make a "mockery" of the position.

She doesn't deserve to be associated with any activism with such a background. I don't think she still hasn't been stripped of being a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.