• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was your highlight moment from this year's Oscar ceremony?

• Spike Lee winning his first Oscar; leaping into Samuel L. Jackson's arms

• Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga's heartfelt rendition of Shallow

• Olivia Colman's genuine elation at winning the Best Actress Oscar

• Melissa McCarthy's bunny-laden dress as tribute to Queen Anne in The Favourite

• The online salt mill erupting upon Green Book taking home Best Picture

Results are only viewable after voting.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's no surprise sadly, figured Roma wouldn't win for the Anti-Netflix reasoning

It being foreign language is a barrier too. It might have been too much for it to be the first Netflix and the first foreign language best picture winner in history. It was good, but personally I preferred Cold War when it comes to the foreign language category. That would have gotten cinematography from me as well.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao wow, Viggo said people don't say Nigger anymore? My son is 4 and has been called that twice by racist strangers on the street.

Some homeless lady got mad I didn't give her money and said my then 1 yr old "nigger son" would be in jail soon. Fuck Viggo and Green Book.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't watch the Oscars, but a newscast just showed a snippet of Lady Gaga's speech and I can only shake my head.
I can't take it serious when the rich and famous talk about "I worked so hard", "It's all about to never give up" and so on. In my PoV, the world doesn't work like that. It slightly implies that other people don't work hard (also I don't think that hardship has anything to do with success). Of course it is important to never give up easily. But many stuff has to do with circumstances, having connections, and luck.
And if you're rich, it's much easier to take months of time off for focusing to compose music tracks.

But I'm probably far too cynical.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
bkUomHx.png

This is a picture I never saw happening.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fine.

But it still sends a message and leaves a bad taste.

In the end the presentation still is that the Black character was the supporting role.

Even if it's arbitrary it's still what they chose to put forward
I mean everything about it really leaves a bad taste. It's a lame ass movie designed to make white people feel good about themselves and absolve white guilt.

But I'm still happy for Ali, regardless of category. He's incredibly talented. But fuck this movie winning a screenplay award, let alone best picture. At least with best picture you can kind of blame the whole convoluted weighted voting system and the campaign against Netflix, but there's no such excuse for the screenplay award.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't watch the Oscars, but a newscast just showed a snippet of Lady Gaga's speech and I can only shake my head.
I can't take it serious when the rich and famous talk about "I worked so hard", "It's all about to never give up" and so on. In my PoV, the world doesn't work like that. It slightly implies that other people don't work hard (also I don't think that hardship has anything to do with success). Of course it is important to never give up easily. But many stuff has to do with circumstances, having connections, and luck.
And if you're rich, it's much easier to take months of time off for focusing to compose music tracks.

Well it's part of the narrative that anybody can make it big if they work hard enough and all that bullshit. Nope, if you're born poor you'll die poor, if you're born rich most probably you'll die rich, unless you're a useless moron, and even then it's hard to lose all. There's not much more to it. Outliers are veeeeery few and poor people becoming rich is mostly luck and has nothing to do with merits or hard work.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
OMG fuck yes Bohemian Rhapsody <3 <3 <3

Lmao wow, Viggo said people don't say Nigger anymore? My son is 4 and has been called that twice by racist strangers on the street.

Some homeless lady got mad I didn't give her money and said my then 1 yr old "nigger son" would be in jail soon. Fuck Viggo and Green Book.

that is a disgusting situation, but It's not like this movie caused racism.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

Exactly how I felt about the Green Book win.

Couldn't believe dude really said that bout Viggo....

Only Mahershala mentions Don Shirley! It's just all fucked up

That's what stood out the most to me in the moment as well. A movie about racism about real people and they avoid talking about racism at all with vague platitudes about loving each other, then Farrelly goes straight to giving Viggo all the praise with a brief mention of Mahershala and wrapping back around to Viggo.

It felt so aggressively tone deaf.

Jan 10, 2018

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OMG fuck yes Bohemian Rhapsody <3 <3 <3

that is a disgusting situation, but It's not like this movie caused racism.
Green Book and the fools behind it are proliferating the same type of tone deaf racism that Jordan Peele addressed in Get Out.

Look at the email that the producer Wessler sent a critic of the movie. Problematic people are telling a Black Man's story. They should have named the movie something else and not even invoke "Green Books" at all. They were a too important part of Black American history for tone deaf self-congratulatory White people to helm a project invoking them.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
People say the word all the fucking time especially when committing hate crimes, especially in private.

This idea that the word is dead ridiculous.

No one says the N word anymore is an utterly foolish thing to say.

Frankly nothing he says after that excuses how and why he chose to drop the N word on a press tour.

Honestly I Think that is his Danish shining through. When we use the "people dont...anymore" in Danish it means that in general the public agrees to not do or say a cerrain thing, and not that no one uses it. Danish phrases are much less literal than American, which can lead to situations like this.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017

Well it's part of the narrative that anybody can make it big if they work hard enough and all that bullshit. Nope, if you're born poor you'll die poor, if you're born rich most probably you'll die rich, unless you're a useless moron, and even then it's hard to lose all. There's not much more to it. Outliers are veeeeery few and poor people becoming rich is mostly luck and has nothing to do with merits or hard work.
Of course it's mostly fabricated that people can make it if they try hard enough. Still though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Gaga saying that. Kind of weird to take a stance opposed to a speech that is meant to inspire good. I wouldn't be surprised if she was similarly inspired to keep going because of words from her idols. The message in America about working hard rings false, but Gaga gave a speech that seemed genuine in order to use her vast influence positively. It doesn't hit home for me but think of all the teens in the world who got inspired by that for example. That stuff matters.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What movie should've won then?
Roma or The Favourite seem like the obvious choices to me. There was a campaign to stonewall Roma on best picutre because some of the Hollywood establishment are salty about Netflix buying up movies that they feel deserve more theatrical promotion.

My personal favorite movie of the year was Sorry to Bother You, which won an Independent Spirit Award last night but wasn't nominated for any Oscars.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Not sure why all the outpouring of love for the Shallow duet beyond it being sweet and courageous. Cooper looked terrified (as would most people who aren't trained pros performing in front of that crowd) and sounded like someone who was entirely self trained and not all that experienced. Gaga (while much stronger than Cooper) has sounded much better in past performances as she seemed pretty shrill any time she tried to belt anything (we won't even get into the fact that it looks like she called 45 for tips on what kind of spray tan to use). I think the audience reaction was more a product of respect for Cooper getting through that obvious "i'm in a dark tunnel on traintracks and I see a light in the distance moment" and the 'fun' of Gaga being featured at the Oscars(?).

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Not sure why all the outpouring of love for the Shallow duet beyond it being sweet and courageous. Cooper looked terrified (as would most people who aren't trained pros performing in front of that crowd) and sounded like someone who was entirely self trained and not all that experienced. Gaga (while much stronger than Cooper) has sounded much better in past performances as she seemed pretty shrill any time she tried to belt anything (we won't even get into the fact that it looks like she called 45 for tips on what kind of spray tan to use). I think the audience reaction was more a product of respect for Cooper getting through that obvious "i'm in a dark tunnel on traintracks and I see a light in the distance moment" and the 'fun' of Gaga being featured at the Oscars(?).
It's because people watched that performance and thought those two would just start making out right there.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any film that wasn't directed by a pedo (why I haven't seen the film) or wasn't just another white savior movie. I guess the white savior movie won out.

Edit: with me too in full swing, I'm surprised The Queen film was even considered. That's how you know Hollywood is full of snakes.

So you admit you haven't even seen the film yet you're deriding it as a white saviour movie that is undeserved of a win?

And what is this about Peter Farrelly being a paedophile? Because he did some stupid jokes in flashing his penis?

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe people liked the movie, like the song and enjoy seeing them perform it together live? They have great chemistry. I wouldn't say Cooper looked terrified or that he was gonna "wet himself." How fucking smug can you be to come away with that impression? Two people onstage performing together in front of the world. Like get outta here

Oct 27, 2017
Theory: maybe bohemian rhapsody won best editing because bryan singer left the movie in such a poor state that salvaging it into what it became was an oscar worthy effort

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So you admit you haven't even seen the film yet you're deriding it as a white saviour movie that is undeserved of a win?

And what is this about Peter Farrelly being a paedophile? Because he did some stupid jokes in flashing his penis?

Have YOU seen the movie? Because i sure as hell refuse to. Perhaps out of morbid curiosity I will eventually..but if YOU have, can you please explain how it's not perpetuating the same nonsense many of us are criticizing? Even the man's family has out spoken out about it.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Theory: maybe bohemian rhapsody won best editing because bryan singer left the movie in such a poor state that salvaging it into what it became was an oscar worthy effort
Or maybe because it was one of the best movies of 2018? Just maybe. Videogame nerds and actual visual art don't work together.
Kiddies just want to see a anime character fuck someone with a big sword. Also, misogynogy. Fuck all women, thats vidyagames 4 ya.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Maybe people liked the movie, like the song and enjoy seeing them perform it together live? They have great chemistry. I wouldn't say Cooper looked terrified or that he was gonna "wet himself." How fucking smug can you be to come away with that impression? Two people onstage performing together in front of the world. Like get outta here
Uh...I'm a big fan of booth Cooper and Gaga but lets be honest - he looked like a deer in the headlights and she wasn't on her vocal game. Hell, first thing my wife said - "wow he looks scared". Thats ok...I like the song, the movie and the chemistry (in the movie...didn't see it last night). That why I'm wondering if most of the gushing reactions were due to his bravery and the feels people remembered from the movie. Vocally and from a performance standpoint it was shaky.

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Or maybe because it was one of the best movies of 2018? Just maybe. Videogame nerds and actual visual art don't work together.
Kiddies just want to see a anime character fuck someone with a big sword. Also, misogynogy. Fuck all women, thats vidyagames 4 ya.
Fuck outta here with that shit bro.

Rami was fabulous, but come on, the film was a frankensteinian mess from top to bottom.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I Think that is his Danish shining through. When we use the "people dont...anymore" in Danish it means that in general the public agrees to not do or say a cerrain thing, and not that no one uses it. Danish phrases are much less literal than American, which can lead to situations like this.

And from the American side, I would agree with version of the sentiment. Back in the 90's I remember hearing the N word during summer work, probably every week. It was usually in jest, and it was usually as a part of some stupid quip that was supposed to be funny. I was more educated and was fairly well removed from my small town roots, so I remember really feeling grated by it. Nowadays, I don't remember the last time that I heard that word aside from a movie or an internet idiot.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Uh...I'm a big fan of booth Cooper and Gaga but lets be honest - he looked like a deer in the headlights and she wasn't on her vocal game. Hell, first thing my wife said - "wow he looks scared". Thats ok...I like the song, the movie and the chemistry (in the movie...didn't see it last night). That why I'm wondering if most of the gushing reactions were due to his bravery and the feels people remembered from the movie. Vocally and from a performance standpoint it was shaky.

I think you and your wife are in the minority. Seemed Like a fantastic performance to me. This thread was gushing over it live. Totally fine for you not to like it. Doesn't make anyone wrong.