• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
The 7th console gen (especifically PS3 and 360) is a very interesting one, since because it was the first one to do the full jump to HD the graphics were pretty outstanding at the time and it felt like a massive jump from the consoles of the previous generation and the Wii, unfortunately looking back I think it's one of the generations that has aged the worst, since this change to working with way more complex hardware and engines, plus also having the complex PS3 hardware in mind ment that while the games had more complex textures, character models, scale and effects, it also meant a sacrifice on framerate, since in the previous generation it was very easy to see games running at 60fps or at a solid 30fps, then it was a rarity for non fighting games, with most games running between 20 and 30 fps, a clear downgrade on gameplay, but also the games had things like screen tearing or overall glitches way more often than before, not to mention things like games being overly brown or gray or the bloom effect also isn't something that looks that good now

For all those reasons it can be difficult to look back to that generation since while I have seen some people saying the 8th gen didn't do a big enough jump, that's really not the case since the games not only looked better but it was way easier to see games at a solid 30fps or even 60fps, with not as much screen tearing or bugs and also with a bigger color palethe. I think for the 7th gen if you have the opportunity you should try to play a PC port or a PS4, One or even Switch remaster of the game if that one is good enough, and I know that can be said for every gen, but not at the level of this one, since for example the 5th gen (PS2, GC, Xbox and Dreamcast) you can play the games on it's original hardware and they for the most part will run and look fairly well, with only a few gray realistic games that have not aged that well, not to mention before the 7th gen many games didn't come to PC or the ports sucked so you still need to play them on original hardware or with an emulator, something that most PS3 or 360 games do not suffer from

For those reasons I think is kind of hard to go back to the 7th gen and It makes me happy to see a game for those consoles get a PC port if it didn't have one before or a remaster of port to newer hardware, even the Switch since that at least can make the games run at a solid 30fps with no screen tearing aside from being portable. What do you think?

(EDIT: and also I wat to say that I don't have a problem with most of the games themselves but more with how the consoles presented them, that's why I say it's the generation where it's most commendable to play the games on newer hardware or pc, it's easily the generation where it's the easiest to avoid playing them on original hardware if you have the option)

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of games in that era (2006-2013), both on handheld and home console, that will be lost forever if nobody ports them to newer consoles and that's a real shame. I s'pose we'll always be able to emulate them on PC but that just isn't the same.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I find it far easy to go back to 6th gen games vs 7th.

I also think I'm more repelled by some of the design trends during that gen too.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Completely disagree, I still play a lot of games from that gen and they still hold up very well, some could easily pass for 8th gen games with slightly better graphics.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
it was a fairly weak generation to begin with. recently i dropped most 7th gen games from my backlog since i never end up liking them

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I never liked the gen, for some reason grounds look really odd and like a vast majority of the gen was brown or had a piss filter

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's ages remarkably well. If all of my consoles combusted and I was stuck with a 360 for a year I think I'd be totally happy.

A vast amount of the biggest games/genres now have barely changed gameplay-wise since 360/PS3. Which is surprising when you consider they were fifteen years ago. Shooters, action games, third person adventure games, racing games etc.

Like, I could happily play the 360 Forza Horizon or Uncharted 2 or The Last of Us or Gears of War 3 or Black Ops 2 or Bioshock or whatever and not bat an eyelid. GTA5? Minecraft? Still the biggest games in the world. And totally fine on 360/PS3.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
The Wii was the best console in the 7th gen. Great library of games with plenty of gems.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
7th gen games are completely fine when played in modern day screen resolutions and framerates.
The only part of 7th gen which aged poorly is the lack of proper b/c with 7th gen on some newer consoles.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So many classic franchises started then, and despite some trends, there was insane variety. It kind of was the last gen that gave us so much crapware though, stuff we are seeing far less of now with mid budget and lower tier games which jammed the shelves. The rise of indies gave an outlet to lower budget games it felt that worked better on digital platforms

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fully disagree.

There are so many great games that are basically forgotten these days because of the lack of access. Resistance 3, Infamous 1 and 2, Tokyo Jungle, Motorstorm Apocalypse etc etc

There is a reason many people want BC with PS3.

Oct 27, 2017
I could have a ps3 or 360 for the rest of my life and probably not run out of stuff to play.

A lot of these sub hd, no vync, unstable 30fps are AAA trash from when very intelligent internet people were arguing abt the resolutions and framerates the human eye could see

On the flip side, a lot of games *don't* look better with their piss filter turned off. Resident Evil 5 isnt supposed to be vibrant like a mario game ffs

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Fully disagree.

There are so many great games that are basically forgotten these days because of the lack of access. Resistance 3, Infamous 1 and 2, Tokyo Jungle, Motorstorm Apocalypse etc etc

Christ, put me down in front in front of a PS3 with Tokyo Jungle and Pacific Rift and I'm good for the next month. Great generation, full of classics that are still totally great today.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, graphic wise (specially the early gen games), but hell no in the gameplay department.

So much from that gen is still in the current gen, and its still awesome.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Fully disagree.

Totally this. It's not aged any worse than any other has in the past..

bluemax38

Nov 3, 2020
I had better memories of 7th gen than 8th gen. Could've just been the period of my life where I had more free time or whatever. Or it could also be because Left 4 Dead came out on the 360.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think it's because subsequent console generations since 2005 have been "the same, but better". There's no more big shift to 3D or shift to HD, it's just gradually improving fidelity. So those games end up feeling like smaller, uglier versions of today's games rather than games from another era

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Christ, put me down in front in front of a PS3 with Tokyo Jungle and Pacific Rift and I'm good for the next month. Great generation, full of classics that are still totally great today.
I still have my PS3 hooked up to play those games. The worst part about it is the PS3 itself because it is lacking features we take for granted these days along with the DS3.

There are just so much games on it that I would love to play on modern hardware.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's because subsequent console generations since 2005 have been "the same, but better". There's no more big shift to 3D or shift to HD, it's just gradually improving fidelity. So those games end up feeling like smaller, uglier versions of today's games rather than games from another era

I think this is a very good take.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. I can (and do) still go back to PS3 games with no problem at all. In fact, I just finished Fallout 3 on PS3, even though I could've played it in 4K on the One X, I had started on PS3 12 years ago and wanted to finish it on that. I had no issues whatsoever.

I think games have changed very little since 7th gen, other than resolution. I still love playing PS3/360 games.

Jun 20, 2018
The majority of the games I play are from that gen and I think they hold up fine. Easier to play those games now, then it was to play PS2 era games at the start of last gen.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure. I played the fuck out of that gen. But 3D graphics in general don't hold up well.
N64 and PS2 graphics look fugly as shit and the games often run like ass.

Anumariku

Jan 8, 2020
7th gen is & was by far my least favorite gen (specifically referring to PS3 & 360. Wii was alright, handheld games were great)

Nov 18, 2020
7th gen was really weird.

You had the DS with a mix of classic pixel art and experimental 3D / touch screen games.
The PSP that tried to be a miniature PS1 + PS2.
The 360 / PS3 that were obsessed with HD aesthetics and then motion control in their later life.
And the Wii which was a crazy popular short-lived fad.

I felt like it was a lot less cohesive than prior gens. Felt like the gaming industry going through growing pains tbh.

And personally I'm not a fan of how the retro aesthetic was abandoned in the gen. The DS / PSP featured any last real attempt at it, but it was in steep decline. Eurogamer even called it the "end of an era."

www.eurogamer.net

Pixel Art: The End of an Era?

Does the demise of the DS spell the end for classic video game pixel art as developers move onto more powerful platforms? Nintendo, Wayforward, Capybara Games a

It was brought back at the tail end with the beginnings of an indie renaissance, but it's like everyone tried to chase graphical fidelity or gimmicky motion controls for gaming and it all came crashing down.

It's also the gen where lots of developers (particularly small / mid-size Japanese developers) folded or re-organized because they just couldn't properly adjust to HD budgets + the 2008 recession. Felt like a graveyard in some respects.

Last edited:

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ya, everything else looks like a bed of roses with the PS1/N64 gen to compare it to.

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I guess I should have titled this that it has aged poorly in many ways but not overall, since the games themselves are perfectly playable and many of them are fantastic, it's just that they suffer more for being played on those gens consoles and not on PC or a remaster than in other gens, that's what I focused on OP

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
I love 7th gen and i would easily pick 360/ps3 over one/ps4 if i would have to pick only one generation.

Other that some performance issues, most games hold up pretty well, especially in the gameplay department.
Forza (Horizon), Uncharted, Gears, Halo, GoW, Killzone, Ninja Gaiden and many many others feel just as fresh now as when i first played them.

Another big plus of the 7th gen was that games were so much more varied. We got a lot of AA and downloadable/XBLA titles.
So much to choose from and the games are really cheap to get.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing old Xbox og/360 games on my Series X all week and I couldn't disagree more. Especially with the great BC on there.

Ninja Gaiden Black is still a great fucking action game.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
It all comes down to art direction. Games that try to emulate realism above all else don't hold up no matter the generation. I think there was just some bad decisions made in gen 7 in particular that led to a bunch of rough looking games.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
From HD perspective I can sort of see it, but it remains my only gen where I owned a Microsoft system and the likes of Halo 3, Bayonetta, and Portal 2 were excellent on 360 and still hold up imo. Plus this was the gen where indies became a lot more well-known with the likes of Braid, Super Meat Boy, and Limbo.

This is completely ignoring the Wii and DS though, the former of which remains my favorite console of all time. Wii holds up on CRTs, but I only replay that catalog via Dolphin at 720p these days (if only it had been officially playable at 720p with true widescreen)

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
I liked the 7th gen more than the 8th gen. All 3 companies were competitive. Nintendo had an actual console. Great times

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
But the games from that generation still look great on PC. From Bioshock to Mass Effect to Portal to Dead Space to Alan Wake to Mirrors Edge. Play these games at 4k/60+ on PC and they hold up incredibly well.

Also there were tons of great smaller games that gen too, not least Geometry Wars. Something sorely missing during the 6th generation, and it was XBLA games (and later PSN games too) that basically got me excited about games again. I'll never forget the joy of Geometry Wars and trying to beat my fiends on the leaderboards, hadn't had that much for with gaming for years and years beforehand.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
I think there's probably less good will towards 7th gen then previous gens because game design have largely remained the same, so it's easier to compare them to modern titles and nitpick the worst aspects of it. We already had large chunks of DLC, MTX, auto saving, high fidelity, grand scope games, only with worse graphics, less QOL, slow loadings, inconsistent framerates. It's easy to see how people's takes are something like "It's like 'CURRENT-GEN-GAME', only much worse" or so.

Older gens have the benefit of being quite different in game design so we unconsciously forgive them for what they were going for - "you gotta understand it's retro" so to speak. They are from a different era and it makes us go easy on them and face them for what they are, rather for what our current expectations might be.

Anyway, some of my favourite games of all time are from the 360/PS3 era like Out Run 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Halo ODST, Uncharted 2, Resistance 2, PGR4, Top Spin 4, Portal, GT5 to name a few from the top of my head.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Hardware wise on the Ps3, yes. I can't believe how people think the XMB is good when it's just clunky with the Ram the system uses

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I kind of feel like games haven't really changed much since that generation. Like that was the generation of the modern game. Sure better graphics and performance, but not fundamentally different.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

You know, I was going to propose an argument as to why the N64/Sega Saturn/PlayStation era aged the poorest but I think you've made the more compelling argument.