• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Kickboxer is on #8 now.
MV5BZGYzZDQ2ZWItNjE4ZS00ZTgzLTk3ZjctZjAwZDUyM2I4Nzg5L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYxNjkxOQ@@._V1_.jpg
Kickboxer_2_FilmPoster.jpeg
Kickboxer_3.jpg
20135968_PA_Kickboxer%204.jpg
Kickboxer_5.jpg
Kickboxer_Vengeance_poster.jpg
Kickboxer_Retaliation.jpg
MV5BNjVhZjJiYjgtNzI1Yy00ZDIzLThiMzAtYzNlZWIxN2ZmYWMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY5NzkyMjA@._V1_.jpg

Wait, the guy in Kickboxer 2-4 was Cody from Step by Step?!

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't look too hard to see if it was posted but Tremors definitely fits the bill.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MV5BNWExNzg3MmMtYjc3MS00MzFlLWJiOWQtNWYxZTgxNjhlZTQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

Followed by:

• Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation
  • Starship Troopers 3: Marauder
  • Starship Troopers: Invasion
  • Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Oh god, I just looked it up and, they somehow made three sequels.

• Jarhead
  • Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (2014)
  • Jarhead 3: The Siege (2016)
  • Jarhead: Law of Return (2019)
This just seems bizarre, when Jarhead was based on the book, but the sequels just use brand recognition to sell unrelated action films.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I had to find out what the fuck was happening in Kickboxer Armageddon, unfortunately it is not a movie about kickboxing in Thailand to save the earth from a meteor like I initially thought.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
There are like 20 Amityville and Children of the Corn movies

There's only 4 true Amityville Horror flicks and the Reynolds remake. All the others are not related to the originals or the original studio in any way. The use of the word Amityville is free reign so there's 40+ films that have used the word Amityville in it's title, but they aren't part of a series in any form.

Think there's a few videos out there about this but the rights holders at one point were just morphing any random script they had into a hellraiser script so they could keep the rights.

It's true, former Dimension and Weinstein company execs have openly talked about it. They tried a few times to come up with ways to bring Hellraiser back in a bigger form for theatrical but they could never get it off the ground so they kept tossing the films into DTV territory. They also did this with The Prophecy, Children of the Corn, and bunch of other horror films with having them all producing at same time, sharing sets, and filming multiple movies at once to release back to back sequels and save lots of money. The first couple Hellraiser sequels that were DTV were essentially just filmed back to back in same way.

Last edited:

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Winnie-the-Pooh might be one of the few franchises that alternated between theatrical and direct-to-video for a time. I guess any future movies either go theatrical or straight to Disney+ now.

Are there any franchises that started in theaters, went DTV, then went back to theaters while sticking to a single continuity (and not relegating the DTV entry/entries exclusively to spin-off territory)?