• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
you get more game(s) for less $ than at anytime in the history of video games. just play something else until they drop to a price that's worth it to you.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It never surprises me anymore, but there really is a defence force for everything

The silver lining is that it's easy to avoid paying that as the market is saturated with good games and prices fall fast, but it just makes me feel like people paying top price for games are being ripped off, you have to be a mark to pay $70 for a single video game at this point.

I only payed full price for 2 or 3 games last gen, and before that it was dozen of games, but now it's just a bad value proposition, and the price hike makes it even worse

None of the extra money is going to go to developers, it will just go to those at the top. Jim makes good points, but it seems like a lot of people who defend this are happy to give developers they like the extra cash not really understanding that it's not going to the talent, it just means someone on the executive team gets a bonus of 7.8 million dollars this year and not the 5.4 million he would have normally got

Developers will still get crunched, games will still be stuffed full of shitty MXTs, people will still get laid off once the game is out, and game prices will still drop after a few months
This is why their needs to be profit sharing. Employees are treated as though they should be grateful to have a job and paid at all. When their actions contribute to the overall success of the product.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is why their needs to be profit sharing. Employees are treated as though they should be grateful to have a job and paid at all. When their actions contribute to the overall success of the product.

Yeah I agree, but it's going to be a hard sell to ask those making all the money if they're happy to give up even some of that and give it to others

I think CDPR give 10% of profits to everyone, but a) that's only 10% (I wonder how many people get the remaining 90%) and they can probably get around that to some degree by letting people go once the game is done, or having people on fixed term contracts so they miss the pay out, and b) as far as I'm aware they're the only AAA studio who even offer this at all

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
To me, I could see $70 sorta okay, but not when they sell deluxe versions of games, pre-order bonuses, and buying candy bars or pizza to get codes to unlock content. Why are people having to pay more while they still piecemeal content out?

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Being the editor of a hobbyist site gives me a lot of perks, including review codes (and on the odd occasion a code for personal use after launch if we're tight with the PR). It's a privilege, and I try and take it into account when I review stuff. I'm in a relatively well paid full time job on top of it so if I need to I can pick up anything that's missed that we need to pick up for coverage.

Disclosure out of the way, it's 100% right that $70/£60 is too much for the vast majority of games out there. Maybe if companies were to quit making those at the top rake in 8 or 9 figures a year in bonuses while firing entire teams after a project's done, there'd be a bit more sympathy with the decision (ha! Just got to that point in the vid). Also, EA makes over a billion dollars a year from FIFA Ultimate Team. Plus the base cost of the game. Spare me the sob story. When an executive could essentially make everyone in the company a millionaire without breaking a sweat on their personal bottom line, I fail to see the argument.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
But that's the point - increasing prices won't solve this problem, the extra money the few chosen ones will now get will be used in part to increase the budget further and then they will point to this budget to justify the next increase - it's an endless circle.
It's telling that this push comes from the companies responsible for the biggest games and these games are often mentioned as the justification, despite being the ones that are already raking in absurd profits.
They sell the increase to people as pouring water over a fire, but in reality they are pouring oil.

I agree about companies that are pushing it the hardest are the ones who are already raking in massive profits and their games are usually littered with microtransactions etc.

When Activision increased the price of CoD I said at that time that they had a lot of cheek due to the fact CoD rakes in record profits usually and actually, if we think about it, increasing the barrier of entry is detrimental to the purchase of microtransactions etc.

In regards to expanding budgets it is the classic question of whether we as a gaming audience are driving it through our actions, or whether it is publishers just thinking what the gaming audience wants. Whatever it is, the costs keep going up and that inevitably leads to the things I listed previously.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The discussion is almost always about Americans having issue with a 'slight' increase and not the constant increase to game prices being ridiculous outside the US, because it's harder to defend that and they don't want to I guess. But also because most game discussion is generally just based on America, unfortunately.

Yeah it's sadly exactly like you said. I get that the US is a major market and many things are US-centric but gaming and many other things are just as huge outside of the US too and Europe doesn't even have it the worst, look at how bonkers things are in South America. And then there's the whole issue with companies just swapping out $ to € with prices, I know US prices don't always include VAT which they always do here but in general these kind of practices should be discussed and looked at way more.

It's also why I find the notion of buying a Digital Only console ridiculous in most places of the world, I mean I like my physical games but even if not you get royally ripped off on PSN and the Microsoft Store if not in the US. Sure you can make an US account and get games like that cheaper, especially if you select a VAT free region but that comes with its own issues and is technically tax-fraud.

The only company I'm relatively fine paying high-prices for is Nintendo because for all their faults they are usually well priced without offensive microtransanctions and I know they tend to treat their employees well.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
At $70 I would only get my most hyped games. Everything else would wait for price drops.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Couldn't disagree at all with Jim here--vote with your wallets people.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It really makes no sense that the middleman, a publisher, gets more cut of the profit than the creatives who actually made the content customers are buying.
...O M G, are you implying that workers...should SEIZE... the means of production!? >=D

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
IMO, it's not that the game price hike is defensible or indefensible. It's that it doesn't need to be defended.

If a game is 70$*, and you don't feel it's worth 70$... You don't buy it. You can wait until the price lowers, or if you're so sick and tired about everything the triple-A industry (read this in Jim's voice) does, maybe don't buy it at all. It's not rocket science, this is capitalism and prices are dictated by demand since supply isn't much of a factor with digital existing. We can argue for moving on from capitalism as a whole if you wanna, I'm game, but in the system as it is there's nothing to defend if some company wants to sell their product at 70 (or higher) and people are down to buy it at that price.

It's also odd to talk about a price point being insanely high in absolutes. There are games (and I'm not talking about just indies, many AAA ones there) that I'd deem a bad value at 10€ or even for fucking free, there are games I spent 70€ on and didn't feel cheated out of my money. There are most likely gonna be a few games I'll pay 80€ or close to for next gen (so far I've found preorders below MSRP), and some will be worth it to me, some won't. Of course, all things equal I'd obviously prefer if prices were lower (this just in: paying less is better) but there's not one magical price point where every AAA is good value for everyone, and 1$ higher it's "indefensible".

* Kinda funny as an European to see the complaints, when even taking taxes into account Europeans were paying more than that if they were paying launch MSRP last gen.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still likely to buy games day one if they're things I'm really into. But I am starting a virtual backlog - anything I won't immediately play goes on a list - and I won't buy unless I have nothing to play or really want to play that game. That seems a logical approach and the likely outcome is I'll just skip as many games as I currently do - except I won't have bought them first, and number of other games will be cheaper because I bought them later, and more games will be free via either game pass or PS+/GwG/Epic store.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
PS5 games selling well doesn't give me confidence things will change anytime soon.

£70/€80 games are a fucking joke.

Last edited:

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Games didn't increased priced but gamers increased.

When they speak about gaming costing as much as today, those games were selling very well when they were selling 500.000 copies.
Now, AAA games sells 5 millions copies or more.

Also, the half the cost of AAA it's marketing to sell those millions copies.

And digital games had increased revenue for publishers, that are keeping the same price tag of printed copy even if they get from them more money.

So, no, price increased it's not defendable with the arguments they are using.
They are not losing money, nor the market is little, nor the few games skyrocketing budget justifies for every game to have the same cost.

Wages also didn't increased at all with inflation.
I will wait for sales and play games after three years, but I will not pay more. And I'm a power user, I buy lots of games. Let's see if they can all survive with casual market that buys two games in 7 years.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has already risen. Season passes, ultimate editions, etc. games are making more profit than ever. why should anyone be ok with being charged 10-25 extra when these corporations are making bank already?

Those aren't part of the base price or needed for the base experience.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Any "soaring development cost" argument goes out the window the second the publishers release quarterly results, boasting, yet again, record profits. I don't understand how anyone can still use the dev cost argument. It's a weak excuse if that. The same with pretending that the devs will actually see any money from the higher game prices.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Unless someone can point to some documented price fixing or collusion there is nothing to defend. I've already bought three different games at three different price points on PS5. So like it's ever been pay if you think a game is worth it or don't.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding development costs: how much development is out sourced to countries with weaker industrial relations laws/costs etc?

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Pricing is a mess in my region, bought the regular version of Demon Souls for $80 when it would have been $60 on PS4... with Sackboy and Spiderman both being $60.

I don't like it and it's making move even further away from ever buying anything but exclusives on consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Just as you are dismissive of the reality of inflation and steeply increasing development costs.

But hey whatever it takes to convince yourself that videogames should be the one product that is never allowed to raise its price in a economic system where literally everything else follows inflation, you do you.

*Shrug*
you're old enough to have been buying games 27 years ago but not experienced enough to understand how economies of scale work?

You think game developers are selling games to the same niche audience of people who played games 27 years ago? Or do you think that audience has expanded by, perhaps, an order of magnitude or more? How do you think that impacts sales performance and gross earnings, especially combined with the impact of digital distribution saving developers and publishers money left and right vs the days when games required actual silicon and chips, big boxes and lengthy instruction manuals? How does your mind tabulate the reality that companies were reaching record profits this generation? Let you tell it, they've been struggling just to make ends meet.

$70 is not only less likely to save fringe companies that are just barely hanging in there; it's more likely to doom them as gamers more frequently take a wait and see approach to buying games.

The industry absolutely cannot go back a niche audience size with niche buying habits. It would collapse.

You know what $70 is going to do? It's going to make the richest companies richer and it's going to make the smallest companies fold up. People better hope that GamePass is wildly successful going forward.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah. I wouldn't defend it. makes me feel bad about the other countries where it's gonna get even more expensive.

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
So games should be free from any price change? It needs to be 60 dollars for eternity? Or less? For like... ever?

I'm 28 years old and every single thing or service that can be bought gets price change in time. I mean literally everything.

I don't understand the backlash about this stuff. And games are more than 100 dollars in my country which I couldn't even buy Miles Morales because i used all my money to PS5.

I think there is a percentage of players in the world just want to pay 0 dollars for games. I truly believe that.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Devs talk all the time about how few of a playerbase actually stick around for season passes and purchase deluxe editions. Iceborne is a good example because you could get the base game and the expansion for $60 (now even cheaper), and Iceborne is a MASSIVE expansion on top of World's free updates. And yet only about a third of the playerbase bought it.
World isn't the best example because we saw a significant portion of the player base transition from console to PC (inflating numbers with double dipping). IB held well over 30% retention on PC in all markets and it's only 8 months old, it'll probably double that in time.

Iceborne is also a sizable $40 investment, making the total price $100 if you bought both upfront.

Hexcalibur

Jun 24, 2020
For all intents and purposes, this only serves one purpose and that is to line the pockets of those at the top. Nothing else, nothing more, to try and defend or paint this as anything but is just lying to yourself ultimately lol.

The corporate apologia this thread is rife with should come as no surprise to most of you, we've had an uptick in defending everything from scalping to nonsensical artificial problem solving recently because capitalism ho! The armchair business/econ major arguments have been going hard in the paint to give publishers more money since forever now.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Publishers are seeing record profits and sales, and we're being told that the prices need to get higher ? Fuck that noise.
I give no fucks about publishers profits. I'll be even worse: even if that money was evenly split between developpers, I give no fucks about developpers profits. Why should I care ? Because they make video games ? Suddenly because they make something I like, I should give them more importance than anyone else ?

I'm already giving 60 bucks for a new game. Be grateful already. Next what ? I'll have to kiss your fucking ass ? Gtfo with that shit.
That industry is the worst. What's even worse is the cult of personnality and the pseudo "friendship" shit going on with publishers, manufacturers and developpers. You make a game. If I like it, I buy it. You're not my friend and I'm not yours.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
In fact, let's try the following: Games are too expensive to makes ? Well then, why don't we lower the bonuses and salaries of the top management ?
That's not enough ? Well, why not lower the salaries of developpers ?
Wait, suddenly, that becomes shitty ? But asking regular people to pay more is okay ?

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Paying money for goods and services is inevitable.
Paying more money as opposed to less money is not favorable for the consumer.

With that said; the $USD spent to content received (quality and quantity) value of a video game purchase far exceeds any other art medium.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I can't defend it and won't defend it until I see that wealth distributed more evenly to all development staff. For starters the increased money could go to help hire and retain more staff instead of making the existing ones crunch... But like that will fucking happen.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all intents and purposes, this only serves one purpose and that is to line the pockets of those at the top. Nothing else, nothing more, to try and defend or paint this as anything but is just lying to yourself ultimately lol.

The corporate apologia this thread is rife with should come as no surprise to most of you, we've had an uptick in defending everything from scalping to nonsensical artificial problem solving recently because capitalism ho! The armchair business/econ major arguments have been going hard in the paint to give publishers more money since forever now.
How should the price of a product be determined?

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How should the price of a product be determined?
That's what market research is for.
And if an industry is making record revenue and asking for even more cash on top of their MTX, Season Pass, DLC, Pre-Order shit then they don't need this more cash to outweight their costs, but because Bobby and Co. need another Yacht

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
read the thread. watch the video.

that'll be a good start for you.
I read it. I watched it. Still does not make any sense. There is not a single post in this thread (that you accused me not reading it) that examines cost-revenue research in modern games development.

Do you know how games development costs? Can you give me more than one example which details how cost manifacturing works in a modern game product? (Marketing, bonuses, salaries, etc.)

Have you seen last Sony quarterly report? Which is a very good information that how much revenue and "record breaking sales" in gaming industry works. More than 40 percent of all game income came from "add-on content" which is nearly 3 times bigger than "60 dollars game sales."

These companies makes record breaking income because of their monetization efforts like ps plus and MT. Game sales are not bread and butter for big companies like Sony and they want to make more money from that. This is a very simple thing to "understand".

We don't even know what a Rockstar games title costs. More than one thousand people worked RDR 2 for 8 years. There are maybe thousands of people working on EA Sports titles alone. Medium is growing, costs are growing, and the money has to grow more than that.

If you want to criticize the capitalism behind it. I'm with you. If you want to criticize why gaming executives makes millions of dollars. I'm with you. If you can't understand than i can't help you.

And last of all, you may want to stop cynically replying to a user. Hope you'll read it.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Launch pricing is strictly a FOMO tax. Simply wait for the price to drop if $70 is so outrageous. If it's about crunch and pay, then only buy games from companies that share your beliefs (get ready to boycott Nintendo).

Bitching online about pricing and crunch only works if you stop buying their products. If you still buy their shit, then whining online makes you a hypocrite that wants to feel good about bullying others around for not joining in on your charade.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read it. I watched it. Still does not make any sense. There is not a single post in this thread (that you accused me not reading it) that examines cost-revenue research in modern games development.

Do you know how games development costs? Can you give me more than one example which details how cost manifacturing works in a modern game product? (Marketing, bonuses, salaries, etc.)

Have you seen last Sony quarterly report? Which is a very good information that how much revenue and "record breaking sales" in gaming industry works. More than 40 percent of all game income came from "add-on content" which is nearly 3 times bigger than "60 dollars game sales."

These companies makes record breaking income because of their monetization efforts like ps plus and MT. Game sales are not bread and butter for big companies like Sony and they want to make more money from that. This is a very simple thing to "understand".

We don't even know what a Rockstar games title costs. More than one thousand people worked RDR 2 for 8 years. There are maybe thousands of people working on EA Sports titles alone. Medium is growing, costs are growing, and the money has to grow more than that.

If you want to criticize the capitalism behind it. I'm with you. If you want to criticize why gaming executives makes millions of dollars. I'm with you. If you can't understand than i can't help you.

And last of all, you may want to stop cynically replying to a user. Hope you'll read it.
Sony is a platform holder, they get so much money from "add-on content" because they get a cut of everything sold on the PlayStation store. That being 40% of game revenue tells us nothing in regards to the necessity of raising game prices, it just tells us that a lot of people buy add-on content (no shit, we know this).

Most of the publishers are NOT platform holders, but ARE making record breaking profits off of game sales and the MTX/DLC those games are a vehicle for. If they are making record breaking profits and posting good financials then there is no 'need' to raise prices. Now, do they want to raise prices to wring more money out of consumers? Of course. But it's not because games are more expensive to make or because they are in danger of not making profit. It's because they want more money.

TheVoidDragon

Jan 16, 2018
Some people are defending this ? How ?...

They don't even seem like reasonable "defenses" to me, but rather excuses that just avoid addressing the actual issue. Saying things like "Just don't buy it" or "Wait for a sale" or trying to just semantics to say Jim is wrong because he said the word "indefensible" when it's not literally indefensible and it's possible to think of absurd reasons for it, are all something that seem to miss the core of the problem which is that there isn't really a justification for the price increase that seems to have much substance to it. Basically going "Just ignore it!" doesn't then make the price increase reasonable and something that should just be accepted and supported, it's just deflecting from the issue.

It's a price increase that does not have any gain for the customer, and little to no in the way of justification in general, but people are still trying to say it's fine regardless. Even more absurd is those just repeating points already addressed by the video.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
For all those happy to pay inflated prices for no gain to the customer, feel free to also send me money for no real gain too, since you're into that

I'd appreciate your money more than the CEOs and executives you're so eager to contribute to anyway

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I will never, ever understand why some gamers are so fond of arguing and acting against their own interests.

In this case the people arguing against the price increase are correct, but also extremely unsympathetic because they come off as very childish and as massive hypocrites, so it is hard not to want to argue against them on an emotional level.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
This was definitely not the year to raise the prices. Sony doing it themselves actually bothers me a bit. Though I think Sony and MS release song their consoles this holiday was a poor moral choice on their behalf.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Well we also have a big defense force for scalpers. This forum loves rich people and rich corporations making even more money

That blew my mind. I can only guess is that they are actively participating in scalping themselves, or plan to do so in the future and want to absolve themselves of the guilt of participating in a society.

I'm starting to think that those defending this increase so vehemently have stocks in the industry lol

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Being the editor of a hobbyist site gives me a lot of perks, including review codes (and on the odd occasion a code for personal use after launch if we're tight with the PR). It's a privilege, and I try and take it into account when I review stuff. I'm in a relatively well paid full time job on top of it so if I need to I can pick up anything that's missed that we need to pick up for coverage.

Disclosure out of the way, it's 100% right that $70/£60 is too much for the vast majority of games out there. Maybe if companies were to quit making those at the top rake in 8 or 9 figures a year in bonuses while firing entire teams after a project's done, there'd be a bit more sympathy with the decision (ha! Just got to that point in the vid). Also, EA makes over a billion dollars a year from FIFA Ultimate Team. Plus the base cost of the game. Spare me the sob story. When an executive could essentially make everyone in the company a millionaire without breaking a sweat on their personal bottom line, I fail to see the argument.
Yea, the fact that growth potentially has been massively realized by digital add-ons ranging from loot boxes, skins, season passes etc. Means that they've in many cases more than overcome much of the "development cost" increase already. If they didn't they wouldn't be raking in record profits while laying off huge swaths of employees. This is captialism in its most depressing form because the workers themselves are so limited in their power/rights in favor of the companies bottom line. Them convincing customers that they need to back whatever decision they need to increase the company value by huge percentage points a year is pretty gross. The focus of all these companies and the business people that run them is not to run a successful company that supplies it's workers with good opportunities, a health environment and produce good games. Those are secondary or tertiary effects at best. Their job is to create growth for stockholders, and that's really it.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
In this case the people arguing against the price increase are correct, but also extremely unsympathetic because they come off as very childish and as massive hypocrites, so it is hard not to want to argue against them on an emotional level.

How so? It's an an interesting position, I'd like to hear your argument.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well we also have a big defense force for scalpers. This forum loves rich people and rich corporations making even more money
No. We really don't. All signs point drastically in the other direction as this overwhelmingly. You're speaking about a personal frustration with not being able to buy a consumer electronics device. No offense, but it's a poor, entitled frame of mind. As someone who struggled through both the Nvidia launch and spent weeks trying to get a card and then the PS5 launch continuing to work alongside buddies who could not get one and still can't. It really does suck. But pretending like era loves "rich people and rich corporations" is so hilarious to me to base off the fact you can't buy a console that in the grand scheme of things is so unimportant. Our personal desires are so misaligned with important things that what you're saying kind of actually highlights what allows these companies to get away with what they're doing. It's that instant gratification, fomo, desire etc. That makes it so people go "I want it now. I want this and this and this, so I'll pay a little more" and the desire is artificial, driven by the company themselves to boot!

There's a deep deep sense of irony here, that honestly needs to be reflected on. These companies are engaging in the same practice that is making you angry at scalpers at a conceptual level lol.

The problem at it's core. You nailed though, and that is that basically people need validation and or at least cognitive dissonance for their actions. To make them feel like the decisions they are making aren't bad ones in the moment. You see this pretty starkly in gacha game threads. It basically boils down to people saying "everything is fine" while the fire of the predatory nature of the game burns on behind them.

Last edited:

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Far too many people defending this here.

Think people are just being realistic. You can argue against something being a certain price, but ultimately the seller has the right to charge what they like. The buyer is equally free to act upon wether or not they agree, by purchasing or not.

And of course, there's the argument that we aren't entitled to have something day one for a price that we want to set.