• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
What is an "acceptable" profit margin? For example Ubi last year had non-IFRS operating income of €34.2 on €1,594M sales, which is an extremely low profit margin. Is that still too much? EA's profit margins are similar to what they were in the PS2 days. If it's too much now, it must have been too much then, but I don't remember people complaining this much back then. Just wondering where the line is. Should game publishers be allowed to have the 24% profit margins that Apple has, or the 34% that Microsoft has?

That's interesting info. It's what I ask myself when I see these threads. What amount of profit is acceptable?

Jun 13, 2020
Mock all you like, but it is the truth. This isn't water or food or medicine. These are luxury toys at luxury prices. The creators are happy with these prices and the market seems willing to pay. There is no controversy here.
Do you have any idea how privileged that sounds? Would you be okay with games only being available to wealthy people? As Jim points out there's no need to increase prices, games are already massively profitable, more than ever.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
There's clearly a controversy when you consider that this is an ongoing discussion in every pocket of the industry, has spawned countless videos & articles, and has a robust discussion within this very topic.
All of those things combined make up a tiny percentage of the actual market. These issues are always massively inflated by internet noise but have little bearing in the real world.

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to call foul on this.

Companies spend a lot of money on graphics because it helps them stand out in an increasingly crowded field and it helps them stand out because gamers like better graphics. Yes, the PS2 era had a much healthier bang for your buck ratio when it came to development costs, but can you imagine the outcry if the next Final Fantasy/Uncharted/GTA/etc. looked like a PS2 game? It's not even good enough to look as good as the last game, because gamers and reviewers will dock your game if each game doesn't look noticeably better than the last. People are desperately trying to buy the new systems because they want better graphics (and load times) with the only big exclusive at the moment being a remake of a PS3 game (admittedly, a rather good PS3 game).

Likewise, spending a ton of money on marketing is a necessary evil for big budget games in the modern era because there's so much competition. I'm not even sure what the logic is supposed to be here - that if you spend less money on marketing, you can charge less? No, if you spend less money on marketing, you generally make less money. The trick is to figure out the optimal amount to spend and these companies have a better idea of what that optimal amount is than random pundits.

Marketing + graphics are how you get people to notice your game in the first place. The best game in the world does you no good if nobody knows about it.

There are some games that aren't the most graphically intense that manage to succeed, but they generally have other factors behind their success (Fortnite & Hearthstone, for example, are made by some of the most powerful videogame companies in the world who have the marketing muscle to outspend competitors, same thing with anything that Nintendo puts out). Trying to make the next Minecraft or Among Us is not a viable business strategy since games like that are one in a million.

I say all this as an indie developer who would love to do a NES-style JRPG, but thinks that anything less than "Advanced SNES or PS1 2D" graphics at this stage will render an RPG unlikely to recoup development costs because people will ignore it. You can't do "Basic SNES" graphics in an RPG, because RPGMaker has made that market very saturated and going NES or Game Boy doesn't have the same level of nostalgia for most people. You can do more retro graphics if you're incredibly stylish (see World of Horror) but that's a tough trick to pull off. And for every Shovel Knight, there are hundreds of retro-style games that go unnoticed.
I feel like bringing indie devs into this discussion kind of misses the point when indie devs aren't charging anywhere near $70 in the first place as price of admission.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Mock all you like, but it is the truth. This isn't water or food or medicine. These are luxury toys at luxury prices. The creators are happy with these prices and the market seems willing to pay. There is no controversy here.

You can defend pretty much anything under the auspices of "the market is willing to pay". Not covering Pre existing conditions? The market is willing to pay. Using slave labor to reduce costs in order to make a profit selling these consoles? The market is willing to pay.

No one is even arguing people won't pay it, people are asking why it's being raised and there's no information that makes sense besides it's been a long time or something.

How is that different from anything else in a capitalist society?
Exactly my friend.

May 9, 2018
Technically speaking, the development cost for a video game is irrelevant to the price of a video game per microeconomic theory, as there is no fixed/opportunity cost for distributing said games (except physical Switch cartridges but that's another issue entirely).

Increasing the price with a new console generation is good timing from a willingness-to-pay perspective, though. That's not unethical. Again, it's about price elasticity: pricing anything other than willingness-to-pay results in leaving money on the table.

It really makes no sense that the middleman, a publisher, gets more cut of the profit than the creatives who actually made the content customers are buying.
Smaller game companies can and do self-publish.

There are many very good reasons why self-publishing is uncommon, and none of them are unethical. (the obvious one being that without the support of a publisher, the game likely would not exist at all)

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
Correction: the fatcat suits are are happy with the prices. The creators- the actual devs and artists- don't have a say in this.
They might not have had a say in deciding it but they are not objecting to it either. In fact every dev who I've seen reacting to the new price point seems perfectly happy with it.

Jun 13, 2020
They might not have had a say in deciding it but they are not objecting to it either. In fact every dev who I've seen reacting to the new price point seems perfectly happy with it.
Why does that matter? They have nothing to lose with a price increase. In the case of Activision, they'll just get fired in bulk no matter how much money the company makes.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
You can defend pretty much anything under the auspices of "the market is willing to pay". Not covering Pre existing conditions? The market is willing to pay. Using slave labor to reduce costs in order to make a profit selling these consoles? The market is willing to pay.

No one is even arguing people won't pay it, people are asking why it's being raised and there's no information that makes sense besides it's been a long time or something.
Game prices were stagnant for a long time and were long overdue for an increase. Development costs have kept increasing, and will increase further this generation. This was always coming.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What amount of profit is acceptable?

Guys, its not about how much profit is acceptable.

Seriously. We not only see takes from people who would pay hella money if the livelihoods of devs increased as a direct result, but no one would give a flying shit about an increase in price if their buying power had increased too.

That's the point. No one gives a shit if the industry has record profits if all the people in the industry and elsewhere ALSO BENEFIT. The problem is that people who actually work their asses off don't benefit from this.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Judging by the rising costs of living and game development, it is abso-fuckinglutely defensible and justified. Hell, it probably should have been that price in 2013.

Obviously what is indefensible is the monetization practices atop that ala NBA 2K. But then again, most consumers know by now that the game drops in price fairly quick. So just wait a month or two and it'll be $40

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because it doesn't actually matter lol; It's not going to change their wages nor will gamers actually stop buying games, because it's a scientific principle at this point that gamers cannot actually withhold giving money to billionaires, no matter how ludicrous the exchange ultimately is. You're right, in a way. This topic is quite useless, but that's not an indictment on Jim and the people who agree with him.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Game prices were stagnant for a long time and were long overdue for an increase. Development costs have kept increasing, and will increase further this generation. This was always coming.

We were told that MTX (and their many variations) were to offset the development costs that have kept increasing.

So..........Either we were lied to then or we're being lied to now.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
Probably because it doesn't actually matter lol; It's not going to change their wages nor will gamers actually stop buying games, because it's a scientific principle at this point that gamers cannot actually withhold giving money to billionaires, no matter how ludicrous the exchange ultimately is. You're right, in a way. This topic is quite useless, but that's not an indictment on Jim and the people who agree with him.
Gamers dont have to stop buying games. There are plenty of games that are not 70 dollars. Indie games are released all the time at lower prices. Games go on sale all the time. There are subscription services that offer good value. There are still used games and rental services. Just because the top end AAA games are getting more expensive it doesn't mean that we can't afford to play games anymore.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I'm going to have to call foul on this.

Companies spend a lot of money on graphics because it helps them stand out in an increasingly crowded field and it helps them stand out because gamers like better graphics. Yes, the PS2 era had a much healthier bang for your buck ratio when it came to development costs, but can you imagine the outcry if the next Final Fantasy/Uncharted/GTA/etc. looked like a PS2 game? It's not even good enough to look as good as the last game, because gamers and reviewers will dock your game if each game doesn't look noticeably better than the last. People are desperately trying to buy the new systems because they want better graphics (and load times) with the only big exclusive at the moment being a remake of a PS3 game (admittedly, a rather good PS3 game).

Likewise, spending a ton of money on marketing is a necessary evil for big budget games in the modern era because there's so much competition. I'm not even sure what the logic is supposed to be here - that if you spend less money on marketing, you can charge less? No, if you spend less money on marketing, you generally make less money. The trick is to figure out the optimal amount to spend and these companies have a better idea of what that optimal amount is than random pundits.

Marketing + graphics are how you get people to notice your game in the first place. The best game in the world does you no good if nobody knows about it.

There are some games that aren't the most graphically intense that manage to succeed, but they generally have other factors behind their success (Fortnite & Hearthstone, for example, are made by some of the most powerful videogame companies in the world who have the marketing muscle to outspend competitors, same thing with anything that Nintendo puts out). Trying to make the next Minecraft or Among Us is not a viable business strategy since games like that are one in a million.

I say all this as an indie developer who would love to do a NES-style JRPG, but thinks that anything less than "Advanced SNES or PS1 2D" graphics at this stage will render an RPG unlikely to recoup development costs because people will ignore it. You can't do "Basic SNES" graphics in an RPG, because RPGMaker has made that market very saturated and going NES or Game Boy doesn't have the same level of nostalgia for most people. You can do more retro graphics if you're incredibly stylish (see World of Horror) but that's a tough trick to pull off. And for every Shovel Knight, there are hundreds of retro-style games that go unnoticed.
fair points, but I don't think any of the above are reasons to pass the buck onto the user. Is there proof of game dev budgets exploding? I'm not sure. Is there proof of Dev execs making more money than they ever have? Yes. The number of game buyers has never been bigger, so the increase during a pandemic of all things, goes to show that they are just trying to milk their audiences. Yes. I know a companies literal existence is to make money, but that still doesn't make it less shitty.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like bringing indie devs into this discussion kind of misses the point when indie devs aren't charging anywhere near $70 in the first place as price of admission.

There are plenty of reasons to argue against higher prices without misunderstanding how the game industry works. Every single high paid executive would love to sell millions of copies of games with PS1/PS2 level budgets instead of the budget monstrosities they're making now, but the marketplace doesn't allow them to. And since the very beginning of videogames, gamers have wanted better and better technology - it's not a new thing.

There's really 3 primary ways to make money in the game industry.

1 - You outmuscle everyone else. This is increasingly expensive as games get more and more advanced.
2 - You innovate. This is difficult and unreliable, because if you make something that nobody else is making, it's anyone's guess how well it'll sell, because there's no precedent. Sometimes you make Splatoon and other times, you make Wonderful 101. And W101 is a far more likely outcome.
3 - You find a niche. This is the typical indie approach - I can make a silly game about Cthulhu and Christmas with 16-bit-inspired graphics, because nobody else is doing that. And yeah, not a lot of people are willing to buy our weirdness, but it still works because our costs are low enough that we don't need many sales.

And after saying all that, I agree that charging $70 in a pandemic is incredibly tone deaf.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
All of those things combined make up a tiny percentage of the actual market. These issues are always massively inflated by internet noise but have little bearing in the real world.
Let's pretend that you're actually correct on this (you're not). But let's pretend that these issues are only inflated by "internet noise" as you put it.

You are posting on a gaming enthusiast forum.

Are you really trying to pop in and convince us that there's nothing to see, nothing to discuss, and that this is a non-story? Because you've got one hell of an uphill journey ahead of you if that's the case.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Guys, its not about how much profit is acceptable.

Seriously. We not only see takes from people who would pay hella money if the livelihoods of devs increased as a direct result, but no one would give a flying shit about an increase in price if their buying power had increased too.

That's the point. No one gives a shit if the industry has record profits if all the people in the industry and elsewhere ALSO BENEFIT. The problem is that people who actually work their asses off don't benefit from this.

Right. But how do we know that the people participating in the industry aren't benefiting? It is an assumption I'm seeing here, but I don't know that it is true. I haven't seen in it Sterling's video either. What is the evidence that devs don't participate in it?

Also, if profit margins are already in the in the single digits, why would we expect to see an increase in benefits with no corresponding increase in price or revenue streams? Or are devs and publishers supposed to give up profits to increase those benefits.

Now, I understand the argument that we shouldn't trust that an increased price would lead to increased benefits. That I get. But I don't know why would we expect an increase in benefits without increased revenues.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
The new gen games are $90 before tax here in Canada. Yeah, I can chill on those prices, and thank GAWD for the used games market.

Last edited:

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Good video. Counter arguments along the lines of "this is long overdue" or "they just charge what people will pay" are ignoring the special editions and recurring monetization that are definitely not going away, and a higher price may actually contract the market for new games. The AAA games industry is stuck in the typical big business cycle of maximizing profits to the exclusion of all other concerns related to consumers or their own workers. There's already little consideration paid to whether the market can bear another huge GAAS time/money sink every year, and putting a higher barrier to entry on the front end may be a bad idea when so many people are out of work.

Hard to say if there will be an actual crash, but with oncoming economic depression I wouldn't rule it out. Note in this case by crash I don't mean video games go away, just that some or all of the big GAAS-focused publishers shut down or scale way, way back.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
To be fair, we pay $120-$130 now here in NZ.....so $70 seems amazing to us.

Yada yada "but the US dollar is worth more", but in terms of earnings, people don't earn much more here in terms of dollars vs US salaries, less in a lot of industries.

I guess it's what you're used to vs change.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
So you're saying that slave labor is fine because capitalism. Right?
Yes that is exactly what I'm saying and this matter is the exact equivalent of that......

We were told that MTX (and their many variations) were to offset the development costs that have kept increasing.

So..........Either we were lied to then or we're being lied to now.
MTX is not a forced necessity either, people are choosing to pay for it. I've never paid a penny for MTX in my life and I've been perfectly fine enjoying video games without them.

Let's pretend that you're actually correct on this (you're not). But let's pretend that these issues are only inflated by "internet noise" as you put it.

You are posting on a gaming enthusiast forum.

Are you really trying to pop in and convince us that there's nothing to see, nothing to discuss, and that this is a non-story? Because you've got one hell of an uphill journey ahead of you if that's the case.
I didn't say there is nothing to discuss. I said it's not a controversy and certainly not 'indefensible'. Discuss away all you like. I'm just giving my opinion on it too.

Oct 25, 2017
I already stopped paying full price for games last gen, so I'll be buying even fewer games--or waiting even longer for sales--when I'm ready to hop into the new gen. As others have said, by and large your average dev is not treated well while publishers keep on getting richer.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
EBITDA would be useful if I was taking a more comprehensive picture of the companies, but considering how I already needed to remove some strange results for European/Japanese companies(see edit) I'd want to stay closer to topline if possible, and moreover, for this particular case, I'm interested less in the overall strength of the company, but moreso the expansion of portions of their OpEx.

Further margins could include all sorts of stuff, like S&M or G&A which I don't know how relevant they'd be to this. I could pull the EBITDA, or EBIT (which I personally prefer) but like I said, I'm not sure what would be the most helpful.
I don't think focusing on R&D is exactly the right approach here - we know some companies may invest more on it, due to having hardware development (in Nintendo's case) and engine development (Nintendo, EA, UBi, among others) but I think you'd need to go to the financial statements and see the composition of the opex if you want to see what's the biggest driver of it. Personally, I'm betting on revenues - the game industry is heavy on human talent and the development of current games mean having huge teams - many of those in your list have opened studios in different part of the world in the last decade. It would be interesting to see how the opex increases coincide with building a new studio.

And as someone else brought that point, marketing will probably have increase its weight in relation to the total amount of opex - the advertising nowadays is a million years away from what we had in the PS2 era.

Jun 13, 2020
Yes that is exactly what I'm saying and this matter is the exact equivalent of that......
That's not what I said. You defended this by saying that "it's just capitalism". If "that's just how this works" automatically makes this fine, then it should also make any other practice fine, by the same logic. Otherwise, it's not a valid defense.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right. But how do we know that the people participating in the industry aren't benefiting? It is an assumption I'm seeing here, but I don't know that it is true. I haven't seen in it Sterling's video either. What is the evidence that devs don't participate in it?

Also, if profit margins are already in the in the single digits, why would we expect to see an increase in benefits with no corresponding increase in price or revenue streams? Or are devs and publishers supposed to give up profits to increase those benefits.

Now, I understand the argument that we shouldn't trust that an increased price would lead to increased benefits. That I get. But I don't know why would we expect an increase in benefits without increased revenues.

If people were benefitting in a way that increased the health of their work environments (this includes wages, time off, general benefits), we would not be hearing about crunch. We would not be hearing about exploitation of workers in the workplace.

We can also infer just based off of how capitalism works, especially in the U.S., that the people working in this industry are not getting what they are owed.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like posts like this that indicate a person is not actually engaging in the OP's topic by either watching the content or at least seeking out the cliff notes on the first page should be thread banned.

You are clogging up this thread with reactionary hot takes and given this specific point was addressed in the video and the cliff notes a poster was kind enough to provided, and you are not addressing that in any meaningful way but simply regurgitating the talking point, indicating you are either being intentionally dishonest or you didn't actually engage the material this topic is centered around. Either way it bogs down the discussion when things already addressed keep getting regurgitated

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just the next stage from Jim Sterling complaining about DLC and MTX for the last six years. And the answer is still the same. If it's worth to you at the price point given out, buy it. If it's not worth it to you, don't buy it. In six months it'll be a lot cheaper unless it's a Nintendo game then you're fucked.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I didn't say there is nothing to discuss. I said it's not a controversy and certainly not 'indefensible'. Discuss away all you like. I'm just giving my opinion on it too.
You're entitled to your opinion. Opinions can also be flat-out wrong, though. Like if you presented your opinion that you believe the earth is flat, then ok. Have that opinion. This price increase has generated a present moment controversy, whether or not you believe in it.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I posted a pdf here earlier from a game developer survey of thousands of devs. Tons of them get bonuses, stock options, stock grants, etc. So yes, most definitely some of the money does go in their direction.

Good for them but i still fail to see why Publisher have to have raise prices when they have been making records profits for years now.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
That's not what I said. You defended this by saying that "it's just capitalism". If "that's just how this works" automatically makes this fine, then it should also make any other practice fine, by the same logic. Otherwise, it's not a valid defense.
It's not about the right or wrong of it, I'm just stating what it is. If you think it is wrong, then don't support it. If you continue to support it, then it will continue being what it is.

May 19, 2020
This is just the next stage from Jim Sterling complaining about DLC and MTX for the last six years. And the answer is still the same. If it's worth to you at the price point given out, buy it. If it's not worth it to you, don't buy it. In six months it'll be a lot cheaper unless it's a Nintendo game then you're fucked.
pretty much. gamers do love to hear their own thoughts parroted back to them by a man in a longform youtube video though, the mindshare economy for that is still open for business and roaring clearly lol.

Jun 13, 2020
It's not about the right or wrong of it, I'm just stating what it is. If you think it is wrong, then don't support it. If you continue to support it, then it will continue being what it is.
You wrote multiple posts defending 70$ games and that was one of your lines of defense. You weren't just saying that because it's what it is, you were using it as a defense.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Starting to wonder if reset era has an astroturfing problem or if people here are too well off and American to care about people being priced out of the hobby?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
To be fair, we pay $120-$130 now here in NZ.....so $70 seems amazing to us.

Yada yada "but the US dollar is worth more", but in terms of earnings, people don't earn much more here in terms of dollars vs US salaries, less in a lot of industries.

I guess it's what you're used to vs change.
That $70 is before sales tax. The equivalent with NZ's VAT then is $113.

May 9, 2018
Starting to wonder if reset era has an astroturfing problem or if people here are too well off and American to care about people being priced out of the hobby?
Even at $70 per game, video gaming is one of the cheaper hobbies out there.

Despite that, that's why games often go on sale (price discrimination), so they capture both segments. There is no inalienable right to be able to buy a game Day 1.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Gamers dont have to stop buying games. There are plenty of games that are not 70 dollars. Indie games are released all the time at lower prices. Games go on sale all the time. There are subscription services that offer good value. There are still used games and rental services. Just because the top end AAA games are getting more expensive it doesn't mean that we can't afford to play games anymore.
I'm not telling gamers to not take part in playing games. I'm telling people to stop doing stupid shit and giving away their hard-earned money their money to billionaires who don't give a damn about you or even their developers, and people insist on going "No, you don't understand; here is WHY I absolutely need to purchase the Horse Armor on Day 0." Like.... guys. Stop. I'm trying to help you. And I'm serious about the hard-earned part. I know y'all work long hours to afford all this shit. Keep that $10 in your pocket.

May 19, 2020
if you can't actually afford your hobby or luxury good you probably shouldn't be involved in it? i was dirt poor in college and didn't play video games for 5 years. you'll be fine.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
I feel like posts like this that indicate a person is not actually engaging in the OP's topic by either watching the content or at least seeking out the cliff notes on the first page should be thread banned.

You are clogging up this thread with reactionary hot takes and given this specific point was addressed in the video and the cliff notes a poster was kind enough to provided, and you are not addressing that in any meaningful way but simply regurgitating the talking point, indicating you are either being intentionally dishonest or you didn't actually engage the material this topic is centered around. Either way it bogs down the discussion when things already addressed keep getting regurgitated
So my opinion is different from Jim Sterling so I should be banned? Is Jim Sterling the arbiter of truth around here?

You wrote multiple posts defending 70$ games and that was one of your lines of defense. You weren't just saying that because it's what it is, you were using it as a defense.
As I already said, you don't have to like it or support it. But it is what it is. It was always going this way and the market will go with it. And like I also said, this only applies to new AAA games, it doesn't mean that people can't ever play games anymore. You and some others here are acting like people are dying out there because of $70 games.