• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing the extent people will go to in order to justify why they just don't feel like paying more for their video games despite the monumental leaps the industry has made in providing these experiences to players. As always, people will vote with their wallets. As always, I expect no impact to the companies (rightfully) raising their prices.

We've made monumental leaps in the industry yet the most monumental games don't rely on monumental leaps.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Truly wage stagnation does not exist because wages have very slightly gone up
real-gdp-per-capita-median-weekly-earnings-1980-2013.png
This is depressing

May 19, 2020
this isnt really a defense, its an explanation of capitalism.
customers had a chance to say no to stupid cosmetic DLC and predatory MTX but all they did was willingly embrace it, along with pretty much most of the game industry's gouging and money shakedowns. i guarantee some of yall bought that stupid horse armor that basically lead to all this lol. moralism about this is basically useless when anyone who needs to hear that the price hike does not actually benefit labor either don't care or will never hear it because they are outside the bubble of online video game discourse.

but yeah jim sterling gets reddit karma because he preached to the choir as usual i guess haha.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Well shit, good to know we won't be hearing stories of worker exploitation now right? Problem solved, right?

Where did I say it'd be an end-all solution? If you're suggesting that raising prices won't help the problem at all, you're mistaken.

Game developers should be paid better, especially QA. Games are getting bigger. The amount of time it takes to create an art asset for a AAA game has skyrocketed because visual integrity is so high now. These things cost money.

Games need to sell more to break even because of it. Developers/publishers look to trim costs by lowballing developers, and underpaying them, regularly. Having an industry that embraces AAA games being $10 more is a huge safety net that could lead to more stability or higher pay. Will it mean executives get paid more? Yes, but again, it's not an end-all solution.

The price of goods has all gone up over time. The fact that games maintained a $60 price point for nearly 15 years is absolutely bonkers, especially looking at the cost increases of every single principle that makes a game, and considering the cost of living in cities where games are built, which tend to almost exclusively be big and expensive.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Video is filled with cherry picked arguments.
For example, he tries to debunk the claims of "gamers demand higher fidelity visuals" by holding up games like Fortnite and Among us. Meanwhile he cleverly ignores massive system sellers like GTA, TLOU2, GoT, God of War etc that are visual showpieces.

Heck, even on Era, We've had massive threads of folks complaining about games being 'cross-gen' and demanding 'next gen showcases'.

He also Says games haven't been $60 for a while because of 'digital deluxe editions' that only a fraction of gamers buy.

He does make some good points, especially with regards to how developer pay is relatively stagnant and the growing user base, but it's an undeniable fact that games ARE getting more expensive to make.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not happy with the higher prices, but I tend to buy all my PSN wallet at around 15% off so that helps soften the blow slightly.

But now I'm far more selective in what I buy, I certainly won't be buying as many games, and there's no chance of me buying any additional content if I'm paying £70 for a game.

Oh and I'll be buying even more games during a sale. It will have to be something special that makes me pay full price on day one.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also people arguing that the from an economic standpoint that companies are justified in putting it out at whatever price people will pay for it consider this: We have just as much a right to try and debunk or contest the reasons the companies use to justify their price increases as they have to give them. If they're entitled to defend their decision in an attempt to make it more palatable to consumers, how can you justify that consumers aren't allowed to give a rebuttal in an attempt to convince other consumers?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
The part where this actually bothers me is digital VS physical. A digital item shouldn't cost the same as physical item. I wish that hadn't been a thing we all accepted. Day one there should be a cheaper price for digital items even if it's just a few bucks.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where did I say it'd be an end-all solution? If you're suggesting that raising prices won't help the problem at all, you're mistaken.

Game developers should be paid better, especially QA. Games are getting bigger. The amount of time it takes to create an art asset for a AAA game has skyrocketed because visual integrity is so high now. These things cost money.

Games need to sell more to break even because of it. Developers/publishers look to trim costs by lowballing developers, and underpaying them, regularly. Having an industry that embraces AAA games being $10 more is a huge safety net that could lead to more stability or higher pay. Will it mean executives get paid more? Yes, but again, it's not an end-all solution.

The price of goods has all gone up over time. The fact that games maintained a $60 price point for nearly 15 years is absolutely bonkers, especially looking at the cost increases of every single principle that makes a game.

Why are consumers the party that is required to fix a problem that management of developers created for themselves?

These takes are actually bonkers.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For example, he tries to debunk the claims of "gamers demand higher fidelity visuals" by holding up games like Fortnite and Among us. Meanwhile he cleverly ignores massive system sellers like GTA, TLOU2, GoT, God of War etc that are visual showpieces.

Heck, even on Era, We've had massive threads of folks complaining about games being 'cross-gen' and demanding 'next gen showcases'.

He also Says games haven't been $60 for a while because of 'digital deluxe editions' that only a fraction of gamers buy.

He does make some good points, especially with regards to how developer pay is relatively stagnant and the growing user base, but it's an undeniable fact that games ARE getting more expensive to make.
Most of the games you mentioned aren't even remotely as profitable or popular as the ones he mentioned. The only one that might be is GTA, but GTA5 was a crossgen game at launch and continues to sell amazingly despite being over 7 years old so holding it up as a bastion of cutting edge, top end visual showpieces seems a bit weird to me

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Title alone says, he's not wrong.

Maybe devs should learn better management and cost savings ideas instead of making the biggest fucking game ever (see AC Valhalla) with absolutely stupid team sizes and passing that cost down because they refuse to change or streamline

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Why are consumers the party that is required to fix a problem that management of developers created for themselves?

These takes are actually bonkers.

Developers created customers standards on what AAA games need to look like, how long they need to be, etc? What are you even talking about?

For a game to compete visually in the AAA space it needs insanely detailed character models, high resolution textures, complex VFX and shaders, etc. That shit ain't cheap.

Games are so long these days because data shows that longevity is what is perceived as value to a lot of customers. Developers feel like they need to add as much as possible to a game so it can compete with the goliaths like GTAV, Witcher 3, or even F2P games like Fortnite.

I get that feeling is different here (and I'd gladly pay $60 for shorter games!) but the root of all of this is we on this forum are the vocal minority.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Developers created customers standards on what AAA games need to look like, how long they need to be, etc? What are you even talking about?

For a game to compete visually in the AAA space it needs insanely detailed character models, high resolution textures, complex VFX and shaders, etc. That shit ain't cheap.

Yes, that's how marketing works. Developers created the demand, sold you on the message, and put you into this cycle of thinking that every installment of something needs to be drastically better than the last.

Want to know why?

Once they stop selling you on "what you need" and you take the reigns from them and uphold the demand, that's less work for them to convince you of "what you need" because you're just doing it yourself.

That's literally how the marketing works.

Fortnite, Valorant, League of Legends, CSGO, World of Warcraft, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, are all games that have lasted longer and make more money than the majority of the "triple a" games you want to reference.

The best selling games of all time, with the exception of GTA, are not these visual masterpieces.

ShadowFlare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surprising so many people here don't understand economics when most post-secondary institutions make you take an intro econ class your first year. Prices can either be determined by the market or the state. There's really no in between. With a market economy now, publishers are testing the waters to see if they can charge more, it really doesn't matter if it's for legitimate reasons or not. If the market can bear it, that's what the price will be. This is good for the publishers because they can charge different prices for different market segments and good for the consumer because if you're patient, you can take advantage of the huge swings in prices by waiting. A lot of people seem to be indirectly arguing for some kind of limit or control on profits which I understand the concern, but think about the implications of this on different industries and innovation, and who should ultimately be making these decisions. I think the bigger issue with the gaming industry now is how massive takeovers are occurring which will leave only a few big names making all the decisions.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

All the games you mention are massive successes, including GTA V, probably the most successful game in terms of revenue of all time.

As far as the special editions, some publishers are gating early access to games through this, really tickling that FOMO itch that people have. You can lay 30 dollars more and play the game three days early! Yay!

Yes games are more expensive to make. The clear issue here is the few studios that are going with excessively high end graphics. You can't have video games without developers and the industry's continued way of chewing through and spitting them out faster than an NFL running back is out of the league is terrible. They are paid less than web developers, and many other forms of IT, and as someone with experience in that industry, it's far easier to do.

The industry is seeing record profits this year, in the midst of a pandemic. In some cases, it isn't just 70 dollar games, it's companies like Nintendo charging 60 dollars for games that came out almost four years ago, or their fans defending full price ports of WiiU games. This is the sad thing, that people will defend corporations no matter what they do. Whether it's because they identify with the corporations more than the developers, I'm looking at you CDPR, or what I have no clue. But it's incredibly disappointing.

We exchange money for products here, yes it's okay to be a fan of a game or series but when you decide to defend a corporation, you are falling down into neoliberal hell.

Surprising so many people here don't understand economics when most post-secondary institutions make you take an intro econ class your first year. Prices can either be determined by the market or the state. There's really no in between. With a market economy now, publishers are testing the waters to see if they can charge more, it really doesn't matter if it's for legitimate reasons or not. If the market can bear it, that's what the price will be. This is good for the publishers because they can charge different prices for different market segments and good for the consumer because if you're patient, you can take advantage of the huge swings in prices by waiting. A lot of people seem to be indirectly arguing for some kind of limit or control on profits which I understand the concern, but think about the implications of this on different industries and innovation, and who should ultimately be making these decisions. I think the bigger issue with the gaming industry now is how massive takeovers are occurring which will leave only a few big names making all the decisions.
I will directly advocate for a ceiling on profits. In such cases there is less need to subjugate your workers. The people ultimately making decisions are people like Bobby Kotick. Why you'd argue on their behalf as a consumer unless you're some sort of conservative libertarian is beyond me. I know there are quite a few on here, defending Steam from the horrors of curation, but it's still puzzling.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Rising budgets of game development are strategic. Publishers tell us "look at these newest cutting edge high budget graphics, this is the future, and it's good, so you should want this". What they're doing is convincing people to want a type of product that can essentially only be made by those few rich publishers. There can't be a huge number of games at that level. A larger portion of the market buys those few games, and the publishers rake in money by the truckload. They make record profits.

If publishers didn't think increasing their budgets further would be even more profitable, then they wouldn't do it.

For that reason, I do not think a price hike is needed in any way, shape, or form. We do not need to "compensate" for an extremely lucrative and successful strategy by giving them even more money on top of the massive amount they're already making.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
1: don't preorder
2: be more selective with your purchases
3: wait for sales
4: DO NOT BUY INTO MICRO TRANS.

Problem solved. If the majority of us don't treat every major release as DAY 0!!! HAVE TO HAVE!!! This price change wont effect us. Additionally, prices can be reduced if publishers see that sales go down in direct relation to the price hike. This isn't set in stone.

I'm years behind on games. Theyre all about 5$ for me lol.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The part where this actually bothers me is digital VS physical. A digital item shouldn't cost the same as physical item. I wish that hadn't been a thing we all accepted. Day one there should be a cheaper price for digital items even if it's just a few bucks.
Apparently it was the large brick and mortar retailers like Walmart and GameStop who pushed for digital not being cheaper (and of course, publishers and Sony etc. are happy to collect the higher margins). The retailers sell the big bulky consoles at low margins and need to sell the games and accessories at high margins. To be under-cut by the digital stores at launch for the games would be devastating for them.

An argument could be made too that the higher margins from digital sales helped stave off game price increases for this long. PS4 games cost the same as PS3 games.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What percentage of games are even AAA efforts in the first place? And why the fuck isn't all the microtransaction and merchandise and convention money these studios take going into the development costs? If anything, the upfront price should've actually fuckin' fallen.

Like, I guarantee you I alone bought enough Lucio merch to feed the entire OW dev team for a fuckin' year. Where the fuck is this money going, and how can anyone be confident that the price hike is definitely going to help with graphical fidelity and the devs quality of life?

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

Games are so long these days because data shows that longevity is what is perceived as value to a lot of customers. Developers feel like they need to add as much as possible to a game so it can compete with the goliaths like GTAV, Witcher 3, or even F2P games like Fortnite.

I get that feeling is different here (and I'd gladly pay $60 for shorter games!) but the root of all of this is we on this forum are the vocal minority.
Nah, same shit happens here. I just saw someone saying GoT has ps2 level textures for its rocks

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Most of the games you mentioned aren't even remotely as profitable or popular as the ones he mentioned.

Have you ever seen anyone cite Among Us or Fall Guys as a 'system seller' for consoles?

The only one that might be is GTA, but GTA5 was a crossgen game at launch and continues to sell amazingly despite being over 7 years old so holding it up as a bastion of cutting edge, top end visual showpieces seems a bit weird to me

Not exactly a 'visual showcase' in terms of raw GFX, but definitely hits a high level of detail/content. Similar to RDR 2.
I really should have used RDR2 as the example.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
My dear summer child, launch games are 80€ now, not 70€, because fuck Europe.

I got Demon's Souls for 70€ on Amazon, but the actual price is 80€ (on PSN for example). Yay, digital.

I wouldn't know, the only games I bought in the past two months were used/heavily discounted/on the US store. But I think I'm going to stick to that pattern.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of weird to be making the "players don't actually want better graphics and production values" argument even as the PS5 and Series X are shattering any and all hardware launch records despite having an asking price that is like 20% more than the last round of consoles.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever seen anyone cite Among Us or Fall Guys as a 'system seller' for consoles?

Not exactly a 'visual showcase' in terms of raw GFX, but definitely hits a high level of detail/content. Similar to RDR 2.
I really should have used RDR2 as the example.
Whether they're system sellers is irrelevant, since the question here is whether the intense demand for better graphics is being driven by consumers or marketing. The question is whether consumers have a desire to play games without cutting edge graphics, so what platform a consumer buys them on is irrelevant

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
$70 for hours of entertainment is well worth the cost. Even if I play a game for one night, I find it to be worth the money. It's no different than going out for dinner, some drinks or to an event. That'll all usually cost just as much, if not more.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I blame marketing for this. Somehow.

Read what I wrote earlier about marketing in this industry. Again, as I stated before, the most successful games of all time are not ray traced DaVinci's in playable form, and to say that marketing has no part in creating and upholding these ridiculous standards and demands is literally choosing to not acknowledge reality, or how capitalism works.

What people don't understand about the point of "people are demanding more," Is that it's a point that doesn't actually start with the consumer.

The consumer isn't demanding bigger and better initially, it's the companies who tell the consumer through marketing that they can get bigger and better if they buy their product and in turn, when the next installment comes around, the consumer is demanding bigger and better because the company has created the expectation that they are owed more.

That's how this entire triple AAA industry operates. The companies create the demand, create the status quo, and use FOMO in the grossest way possible to manipulate people into these mindsets that if they don't get the latest and greatest, the bigger and better, they're missing out, so what's an extra $10 bucks if I can play the newest game? And that's the problem.

Video game companies aren't increasing the price of video games so that they can raise the wages of their workers, increase the health of their work environments, and use that money to fund innovative, long lasting titles. They want to exploit the worker and the consumer to increase profits year over year so that their stockholders get more money. So that the leadership gets more money.

And if you notice, all of these features that gaming companies are putting into their games to entice people to buy them are just novelty. They're not innovative. And that novelty is what drives people to spend their money on these games that are big and better, because its quick, easy, and in the moment very satisfying.

As a result, these games don't last as long as games that are innovative but don't look anything like these AAA titles. League of Legends, Fortnite , CSGO, World of Warcraft, Minecraft, and numerous other games that aren't graphically intensive in the slightest all have higher player counts year over year than games that get regular installments.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017

The price of goods has all gone up over time. The fact that games maintained a $60 price point for nearly 15 years is absolutely bonkers, especially looking at the cost increases of every single principle that makes a game.

GTA5 is the most profitable piece of media ever yet the stories of crunch followed the release of RDD2

Activation/Blizard had record-breaking profits followed by mass layoffs.

EA makes insane profits with gambling surprise mechanics year on year yet and is still dogged with stories of Crunch and abusive work practices.

Randy Pitchford has bonuses from the publisher sent to him so he does not have to share them with the workers.

What makes you think that it will be different this time? When you look at their past few decades of AAA developer/publisher behavior it is clearly shown that record-breaking profits has resulted in little to no change in pay/working conditions and in some cases a drop.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
This topic is in dire need of more cumulative industry data from both sides of the argument. By which I mean, lest someone thinks that's just a drive-by, I would be very interested to see it.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Just wait for games to drop to £15~ or less: you'll have months worth of bug fixes for the best experience and a lot of the time you'll have all the DLC bundled in too.

The £70 price tags are rubbish but then so were the £60 price tags last generation, this changes nothing about my buying habits as I will always be well catered by the excellent digital sales on PSN.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
The worst part about this are the people defending billion dollar corporations posting record profits and revenue.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Avengers: Endgame had a budget of $356 million USD and you could buy a bluray of it for $40 on release, or stream it for a monthly fee of $12.

Demon's Souls is a remake of an 11 year old PS3 game (originally made under a budget of $10 million dollars) using a lot of the same code but with a new budget of anywhere under $100 million for graphical and technical enhancements selling at a retail release of $70 on PS5 (or $90 if you opt for the exclusive items in the deluxe edition).

The most expensive video game ever created was Grand Theft Auto V at $265 million. For reference, the budget of Thor 2: The Dark World was $170 million. Yet somehow, the Hollywood movie industry manages to make billions of profit despite costing twice as much to make, half as much to purchase, and without any sort of additional microtransactions to buy to, I dunno, unlock Ghost Rider in Avengers: Endgame. And weirdly enough, the video game industry is the most lucrative entertainment industry in the world despite the apparent crippling development costs that seemingly justify a price increase.

There's absolutely nothing justifying games costing $60, let alone $70.

Last edited:

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
GTA5 is the most profitable piece of media ever yet the stories of crunch followed the release of RDD2

Activation/Blizard had record-breaking profits followed by mass layoffs.

EA makes insane profits with gambling surprise mechanics year on year yet and is still dogged with stories of Crunch and abusive work practices.

Randy Pitchford has bonuses from the publisher sent to him so he does not have to share them with the workers.

What makes you think that it will be different this time? When you look at their past few decades of AAA developer/publisher behavior it is clearly shown that record-breaking profits has resulted in little to no change in pay/working conditions and in some cases a drop.

It's been pretty fucking wild hearing my friends say how they ''only'' spent an extra £40 to get themselves started on Fifa Ultimate Team, the game mode that they could play a few days early thanks to the ''Champions'' edition they paid a crisp £80 for. The very same edition that is now on sale for 55% off just under two months later.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely galls me that these executives are raking in millions of dollars of ever growing profit, massively underpaying their workforce, avoiding paying their taxes AND are still arguing that game prices NEEDED to rise as they cost too much to make.

Its fucking disgusting. And so is anyone who defends it.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Avengers: Endgame had a budget of $356 million USD and you could buy a bluray of it for $40 on release, or stream it for a monthly fee of $12.

Demon's Souls is a remake of an 11 year old PS3 game originally made under a budget of $10 million dollars using a lot of the same code but with a new budget of anywhere under $100 million for graphical and technical enhancements for a retail release of $70 on PS5 (or $90 if you opt for the exclusive items in the deluxe edition).

The most expensive video game ever created was Grand Theft Auto V at $265 million. For reference, the budget of Thor 2: The Dark World was $170 million. Yet somehow, the Hollywood movie industry manages to make billions of profit despite costing twice as much to make, half as much to purchase, and without any sort of additional microtransactions to buy to, I dunno, unlock Ghost Rider in Avengers: Endgame. And weirdly enough, the video game industry is the most lucrative entertainment industry in the world despite the apparent crippling development costs that seemingly justify a price increase.

There's absolutely nothing justifying games costing $70, let alone $60.
This is based

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't remember the last time i payed 60 dollars for a game since there is always deals or coupons at some store. i am absolutely not paying 70 dollars for any game this gen.

well those movies have the advantage of making millions on theater runs. with covid hitting them hard you aren't seeing them release too many movies directly on blu ray or streaming services. most of the movies they have released are movies they didn't want to delay because that would delay other movies they have on schedule. this isn't me defending 70 dollar games but there is a difference.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's been pretty fucking wild hearing my friends say how they ''only'' spent an extra £40 to get themselves started on Fifa Ultimate Team, the game mode that they could play a few days early thanks to the ''Champions'' edition they paid a crisp £80 for. The very same edition that is now on sale for 55% off just under two months later.
FIFA Ultimate Team is probably the most impressive scam in all of gaming, and god damn is it ever profitable.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have an issue with games I know I'll enjoy costing $70, or even more. However, what does it mean for new UPs or titles that won't sell Call of Duty numbers? Why is Sackboy cheaper than Miles Morales? It just shuts out potential consumers from risking their money on games they've yet to experience.

This is why I hope to see demos or trials of games - this would give the option for consumers to experience a bit of gameplay before deciding whether they want to shell out their money.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This topic is in dire need of more cumulative industry data from both sides of the argument. By which I mean, lest someone thinks that's just a drive-by, I would be very interested to see it.

Disclaimer: I have no idea where to find a more reliable outlet for data on revenue and salaries, so take this info with a grain of salt.

From NewZoo:

Newzoo_2020_Global_Games_Market_Per_Segment_Oct2020-1024x576.png

The Global Games market in 2020 will generate 174.9 BILLION dollars in revenue.

Since, I can't find more reliable numbers, I'm using glassdoor here for salaries.

Developers seem to be making around, on average, $50k to 60k in salary, not counting any potential bonuses because I can't see that.

So in a market that will generate revenue that is 2.9 Million times the average salary of a developer, and noting that this article from 2017 stated that the national average salary was 70k (its now 12k less), that means that revenues for games have gone up by almost 70 billion dollars and average salaries have literally dropped.

I'm doing some basic ass research here, but if someone wants to come in and correct me, please do, happy to update this.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
There are games I am willing to pay $70 for and those that I will not. I would pay more than $70 for some games actually. I also don't mind micro transactions that are cosmetic or season passes.

I like Jim but I'm his opposite on many of these topics and "AAA" gaming in general.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, because publishers have mostly gone with GaaS model and crammed their games with microtranctions. We only need to go back to the 360/PS3 generation when loads of studios and publishers folded because even back then production costs had increased by a lot compared to previous generations and it has only gone up.
And you believe higher game prices would have saved these companies?
These companies folded because their games flopped not because game prices weren't high enough.
Higher game prices only accelerate market consolidation, because consumers don't magically have more money just because the industry decided to up prices. Meaning higher prices will lead to less games being sold (at full price).
And the games affected by this won't be the CoD's, FIFA's or GTA's.
The "problem" of the market isn't the amount of money that's in the market it's how this money is distributed.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I blame marketing for this. Somehow.
As I was saying earlier

Yes, they are actually. This forum especially. Look at any thread about RE3 Remake's length or any thread complaining about an AA game's graphics. Gamers demand flashy graphics with bloated game length all the time.

I mean hell, just look at the discourse surrounding destruction all stars recently. Or even people discussing Returnal and how much it should cost.