• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Imagine picking Paris of all cities as the only French representative and putting it at number one.
Is this a list of the most beautiful cities in the world according to the idealistic vision people have of them ?

If I had to choose a single French city for its beauty, it would be Strasbourg imo

L176

Jan 10, 2019
These sites sound really look beyond huge metropolis to find the real beauties. Brugge or Chur anyone?

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
NYC is incredibly beautiful to me, even the new stuff and all of the new towers going up in Manhattan. But 1940s NYC in particular was absolutely stunning to me. I don't think another city at another point in time will ever come close for me personally. Hell, even those black and white shots of 80s Manhattan with all of the graffiti and smoke and grime have their own beauty. I'd personally put NYC at #1, but like you said, it's in the eye of the beholder.

1940's through 1960's, I'd agree with you.

But NYC (even if you "disregard" the other four boroughs -Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island- and just count Manhattan like a lot of people seem to do) and the sights it offers can be very situational. At a far distance certain downtown segments look phenomenal. Up close, it's one nice sight followed by square miles of eyesores and smells. The recent rise in crime in NYC isn't helping either!

I will say this --- NYC easily, quite easily falls into the #1 spot when for me when it snows at night. It's snow covered silhouettes are amazing.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
New York is a great city but New York at #2 on "Most beautiful cities" makes no sense to me... but London also doesn't make sense, at least it makes more sense than New York. Vancouver is a good example of a beautiful city where you have contrast, enormous hovering mountains surrounding a dense city center with a vibrant skyline, and then surrounded by water on all sides. It's a contrast between nature and the city. New York has no contrast. It's an inescapable urban cityscape and, sure, central park is good, but it's a planned urban park that is as natural as a skyscraper. I love visiting New York, have a great time there, but the suffocating density of New York and the inescapability of the city makes it difficult for me to consider it "beautiful."

Vancouver looks like it's out of a scifi videogame, like one of those things where you'd think it's too fantastical to be real, with enormous mountains, water on all sides, and then this insane dense urban skyline packed onto a tiny island.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
San Francisco is beautiful? NYC has some great spots.

SF is a shit show (lit shit everywhere).

been to 10 cities on this list (6 in the top 10), not sure about Paris being number one but I would change Venice out if he top 5 and slide in Barcelona at its spot. (I thought Rome was much better than Venice).

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I was drinking through a couple spots yesterday night I. Queens and they're was so much trash in the streets lol.

I'm surprised we're so high up but ayyyyyy it's all good.

N E R O

Oct 25, 2017
Mississauga, ON
just got from back Dubai, Went to Marina Walk, The one palm Jumaira, Mirical garden, La me're beach & JBR

I would recommend those places to anyone

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of cities just here in Rio that I would put above New York
Not so sure about Lisbon and Rio.

The nature in Rio is amazingly beautiful, but the city itself is awful, especially if you leave the richer zones. From Brazil, I think Curitiba or FlorianĂłpolis (especially the nature) are more beautiful.

Lisbon is great, but there's lots of buildings that desesperately need some maintenance, also there's too many 70-90's buildings outside of the historic centre that are awful.

Chicago is amazing.
Of course someone from the south would say that. Rio's problems aren't worse than those cities, they are just more well known because the biggest media is here
Anyway there is nothing in those cities that come as close to being as beautiful as Tijuca forest for example. Hell I would put most northeast capitals above any south one
Sao Paulo is way better than Rio de Janeiro
It isnt, not only it has nothing as beautiful as the beaches, the Tijuca forests and other things, it is fucking polluted in a way that is impossible to live well if you have respiratory problems.

Last edited:

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The nature in Rio is amazingly beautiful, but the city itself is awful, especially if you leave the richer zones. From Brazil, I think Curitiba or FlorianĂłpolis (especially the nature) are more beautiful.
Yep. All pictures of Rio being considered beautiful are of the ocean and/or the surrounding nature. If the city even shows up, it's just a small part from far away, while hiding the favelas as best as they can.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There are plenty of cities just here in Rio that I would put above New York

Of course someone from the south would say that. Rio's problems aren't worse than those cities, they are just more well known because the biggest media is here
Anyway there is nothing in those cities that come as close to being as beautiful as Tijuca forest for example. Hell I would put most northeast capitals above any south one

It isnt, not only it has nothing as beautiful as the beaches, the Tijuca forests and other things, it is fucking polluted in a way that is impossible to live well if you have respiratory problems.
Rio's beaches are overrated and the city sucks.

Sao Paulo, culturally, is way cooler. Yeah, it's a big sprawling monstrous behometh of a city, but I found it way nicer than Rio.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been to 12 and was born in one of those. But I don't know that I agree with the #1 on the list. Prague was way more beautiful for me than Paris was. Though to be fair I spent more time in Prague than I did in Paris.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Rio's beaches are overrated and the city sucks.

Sao Paulo, culturally, is way cooler. Yeah, it's a big sprawling monstrous behometh of a city, but I found it way nicer than Rio.
Culture has nothing to do with beauty
SP is simply an uglier city to live: No beaches, no urban forests, no beautiful landscapes, grey skies because of the pollution etc

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen is a weird omission if Amsterdam is so high up, especially with some of the US cities being posted and not one is New Orleans.

I am writing this post from the worlds tallest hotel, and I must admit that Dubai is a beautiful city in a very modern way, hell I literally went to a pool in the Burj Khalifa today and it was surreal seeing the city around me towering up.

My overall number 1 would by far be Seoul, just an amazing city with a rich cultural backdrop and unique places to go. Dubai is a bit too modern and the old parts of Dubai is unfortunately a tourist trap hellhole, the old city is probably one of the worst places I have ever gone on a vacation.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did they watch some postcards from 20 years ago for Istanbul or why on earth is this Frankenstein of a city on that list?
That city looks like Erdogans dumbass relatives all thought they all were achitects and just plastered shit everywhere, without regarding a single principle of city planning or hell, even basic aesthetics like aligned structures.

Istanbul is lucky they still have their historical sites, because otherwise it's a fucking joke.
I'm sorry, but beautiful is not the word I associate Berlin with.
This too.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of glad my city never gets on these kinds of lists. I'm more than happy with us staying out of the spotlight as much as possible.

I do wonder if they ranked them based on skyline shots or something, cause the cities I've been to on that list aren't that pretty from street level. They have some pretty spots, but overall I wouldn't call them pretty.

I'd put someplace like Chattanooga above cities like Chicago and Toronto.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Madri on the list is nuts
Prague shouldn't be that high

The rest seem fine, I'd personally put Budapest higher because I love it.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
How on Earth did Toronto make the cut? At least Quebec City and Vancouver absolutely deserve to be there

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Of the places on that list I've been lucky enough to visit (London, Lisbon, Tokyo and Edinburgh) I certainly wouldn't argue with Lisbon, Tokyo and Edinburgh being on the list (although some of the sketchier parts of Edinburgh are proper sketchy, but this is a tourist thing so whatever). I wouldn't have London on there though. Don't get me wrong it has some beautiful places but on the whole I wouldn't class it as especially beautiful.

Surprised not to see Stockholm there either. Some cracking architecture on show there.

Oct 28, 2017
California
How is Seattle not in the Top 50? Place is absolutely gorgeous (despite being home to the filthy Seachickens).

I just looked at the first Google image for Vancouver and holy shit that is fucking beautiful.

Last edited:

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Out of the 10 cities I've been to in that list, I'd say that parts of 9 of them probably earn them a spot on this list.
While I really enjoyed my time in Berlin and certainly wouldn't mind living there, I'd never use the word beautiful to describe it.
I never knew Québec City and Vancouver looked that amazing. Canada is now absolutely a country that I'd love to visit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Outside of Portland ME there aren't really any other cities in New England.... But yeah, Portland is pretty beautiful by the water. Burlington VT is nice but it's tiny

I dunno, is Hartford any beautiful? I know the state has some decent college towns.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I've been to 13 of these places, and the one that i remembered quite a bit was Vienna (for being clean as hell). I also liked Morocco because it was just a different culture experience with lots of colors, but the air is dirty as hell.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017

Eeh, Tijuca is great, but I still prefer the nature and beaches from Floripa. As far as the urban area goes, as soon as you drive in Av Brasil, Rio is full of favelas and there's graffiti everywhere. I have some relatives living in Bangu, which I visit regularly.

Rio's still better than Porto Alegre (ugliest capital city from Brazil), BH and SP

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
New York is a great city but New York at #2 on "Most beautiful cities" makes no sense to me... but London also doesn't make sense, at least it makes more sense than New York. Vancouver is a good example of a beautiful city where you have contrast, enormous hovering mountains surrounding a dense city center with a vibrant skyline, and then surrounded by water on all sides. It's a contrast between nature and the city. New York has no contrast. It's an inescapable urban cityscape and, sure, central park is good, but it's a planned urban park that is as natural as a skyscraper. I love visiting New York, have a great time there, but the suffocating density of New York and the inescapability of the city makes it difficult for me to consider it "beautiful."

Vancouver looks like it's out of a scifi videogame, like one of those things where you'd think it's too fantastical to be real, with enormous mountains, water on all sides, and then this insane dense urban skyline packed onto a tiny island.

I've lived in Vancouver and London for most of my life and I wouldn't rate vancouver anywhere near london tbh.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Queenstown got done dirty.

eight_col_Qtown.jpg