• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
and anything I might need to separate the print from the bed

Just the spatula is enough. And if the bed of the Ender 3 is the same as the 5 I have, it's a magnetic flexible bed and you can remove it super easy.
A lot of channel suggests to replace the bed by a piece of mirror, to have even easier removal of the print, and also a super smooth finish under it !

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Along the Saturn, seems that Elegoo will update the Mars series with monochrome screens this September.

I'm tempted to grab one Pro 2 and try to sell my regular Mars 1 for cheap. The printing times you get with the monochrome screen are stupid.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I haven't even received my pre-ordered Saturn yet (coming next month hopefully) but I just had to pre-order this when I saw it go up

phrozen3d.com

Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K Resin 3D Printer

The Sonic Mini 4K is the most beginner-friendly 4K 3D printer on the market, offering ultra-high resolution with 722 PPI! Check it!

So why would I grab this if I'm already getting a Saturn? Just like the Saturn it's 4k monochrome but the screen is much smaller ( 135 x 75 x 130 mm build volume) which translates to a resolution of 35 microns! So in theory it should be able to pull off better detail prints than the Saturn. Plus it's only $330 shipped with a 1L bottle of resin added.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Anyway, wanted to ask.. what stuff should I go and buy ahead for machine maintenance and print cleanup, etc? I have done some research but the information is a bit all over the place. I'm thinking of all the stuff like whatever alcohol-ish stuff to clean parts of the machine after a print, and anything I might need to separate the print from the bed, etc. Thanks!

I've always just used Tamiya, Mr Hobby or Gaia Notes Acrylic (not lacquer) paint thinners whenever I want to wipe the bed on my Ender. The acrylic paint thinners from those makers are just alcohol with a bit of retarder for the most part. I have a butt load of them so that's why I use them. If you don't have them already one benefit of these is they can be found in hobby sections of electronic shops. A box of Kimu wipes maybe good. Nothing else is really needed though I think.

Though I believe you are in Japan like me so did want to mention about the noise. If you have a small apartment the noise may get to you after a while on a long print. I have a spare room I keep mine in so doesn't bother me so much but you may want to invest in a silent board such as the BIGTREETECH SKR Mini E3 V2.0.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Anycubic's new Photon Mono and Photon Mono X went live for pre-order earlier:

www.anycubic.com

3D Printing Innovation: New Arrivals

Experience the future of printing! Explore our selection of the newest printers, featuring cutting-edge technology for stunning results. Shop now & unlock printing possibilities.

Mono X is sold out already though. Bit more than the Elegoo Saturn but has a slightly taller Z-axis (245 vs 200) and built in wi-fi. The smaller Mono is still available and a pretty good deal at only $209.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
The BIQU BX has gone live on Kickstarter:

www.kickstarter.com

BIQU BX-World's Lightest Direct Extruder FDM 3D Printer

219g Direct Extruder | 32Bit 400MHz | Raspberry Pi Expansion | 7" Touch Screen | 0.9° Stepping Motor | Your Creative Idea Achiever

This one seems promising as BIQU is the company that makes a lot of the popular upgrades for the Ender. Plus direct drive. But meh kickstarter. After the Creality Cr-6 they all seem to be going the kickstarter route though.

Edit: Kickstarter met funding goal in 5 minutes after start.

Last edited:

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
New tablesaw needed a new motor fan so I drew it up and printed it. This was 2.0 as the original had blades that were a bit too thin.
50570803517_91a77feca3_b.jpg

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Holy hell that's so cool. Just being able to make what you want is awesome.
Its the nice thing about having the printer. But you really need to learn some kind of cad software to get the most out of it. My knowledge of Fusion is at a very beginner level but I was still able to draw that up.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Hi all! We got ourself a prusa mini recently and now we are happy thing printers as well :)

Made nothing super special so far, a lot of models from thingiverse and a lamp surrounding I made myself. Measurements where spot on and it fits nicely :)

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
So...anyone gonna be getting the creality belt fed printer? Interested in how folks do with 45 degree print nozzles and massive prints.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
So...anyone gonna be getting the creality belt fed printer? Interested in how folks do with 45 degree print nozzles and massive prints.

Hey I dug up this thread to post about this. Definitely one of the most unique 3D printers out there! For those who are browsing this thread and maybe don't know well about how 3D printers work, with a 3D printer your print size will be limited by the X, Y, Z print volume of the printer. My Ender 3 for example has a volume of 220x220x250mm. With the belt printer however you only are limited by the X and Y axis and Z is infinite (depending on the size of your room I guess). So a design like this will make printing long things like swords possible without needing to break it into a million pieces. Or a continuous stream of similar prints.

It went live on Kickstarter at midnight for anyone interested:

www.kickstarter.com

Creality 3DPrintMill(CR-30)- Belt 3D Printing For Everyone

An Infinite-Z volume 3D printer created by Naomi Wu & Creality3D, building on the work of Karl Brown and Bill Steele.

It is kickstarter so even though you pay you aren't guaranteed it would come. Though Creality is an established company so I'm not worried. Also their last kickstarter the CR-6 SE was met with a fair bit of criticism. Though Naomi Wu who's one of the drivers behind this belt printer is aware of the CR-6 problems and claims they will do better with this one.

This is also really a new ballgame with the treadmill so it's more of a beta type product and definitely not something that should be anyones first printer (Get an Ender 3!). It will definitely have problems I'm sure. That said I still backed it. I managed to get in the first early bird and it looks like even the second one is now sold out. The third one is still available at $688. Regular price is reported to be $1000 after the kickstarter.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Creality has a Black Friday sale going on:

Creality 3D printer | Ender series 3D printer | Creality official store

Creality 3D printer official store. Creality latest 3D printer in stock. Buy the affordable desktop 3D printer, filament, and upgrade kits from the Creality online store. Most Countries Shipping Free and Tax-Free. Insisting the best affordable 3D printer for beginners and 3D printing enthusiasts.

I wasn't planning to get one but ordered the Ender-3 V2. What sold me was they had a ship from Japan option which I had never noticed they had before on the Creality store. Not all items sadly but the V2 was there. $236 and free shipping is a deal

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, started to grab models and subscribe to a coupe of patreons for models despite not having a resin printer yet. Whoops!

Probably grab the Phrozen Mini 4k in the next couple of months, just need to make sure I have the table space in my hobby room for it.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Do resin printers give off any toxic fumes? I am tempted to nab one sometime this year for minis - I've been printing out scenery objects for Gloomhaven recently, although actual miniatures are a little awkward on an FDM printer. I mean, they work, and they look pretty good, but sometimes the supports are a pain.

I think I've put more than 5kg of filament through my Ender 3 since September...I'm at the point where if my printer is sitting idle it feels weird. And I think I have nearly 20 colors of filament in various boxes/bags now.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, started to grab models and subscribe to a coupe of patreons for models despite not having a resin printer yet. Whoops!

Probably grab the Phrozen Mini 4k in the next couple of months, just need to make sure I have the table space in my hobby room for it.

These resin printers are really, really compact. You should look more to clear enough space for all the cleaning post-impression process. Not that it requires that much space, but you may want to reorganize some things.

Do resin printers give off any toxic fumes? I am tempted to nab one sometime this year for minis - I've been printing out scenery objects for Gloomhaven recently, although actual miniatures are a little awkward on an FDM printer. I mean, they work, and they look pretty good, but sometimes the supports are a pain.

Yes. Nothing that a room with good ventilation doesn't solve tho, and depending on your printer model you may only note the fumes when opening the case to grab the printing for the post-processing. But in my case I have a printer without decent filters and if I try to paint while it's printing (have the printer on the same desk) I feel some annoyance after a while even with the good ventilation.

Last edited:

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
These resin printers are really, really compact. You should look more to clear enough space for all the cleaning process post-impression. Not that it requires that much, but you may want to reorganize some things.

Definitely! Would like to have a little printing station with an ultrasonic cleaner and curing station to keep everything together.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Yes. Nothing that a room with good ventilation doesn't solve tho, and depending on your printer model you may only note the fumes when opening the case to grab the printing for the post-processing. But in my case I have a printer without decent filters and if I try to paint while it's printing (have the printer on the same desk) I feel some annoyance after a while even with the good ventilation.

Good ventilation is pretty much impossible here in the winter, and part of the reason I avoid printing an ABS (though PETG seems a superior all-around alternative anyway). I figured the resin might be bad too as my wife has some craft resin she uses in small molds for various projects and it absolutely reeks.

I'll have to keep an eye out for printers that have a good enclosure/filter.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
so, did i do well?
I saw someone on FB selling a CR-10S. The print bed is way bigger than what I currently have. He said he replaced the wiring and the extruder, but I might need to redo some of it for reliability. He was selling it for $200, with a box of unused filament.
PxaYqRtl.jpg
5mt1F40l.jpg

He said some of the filament might be bad cause it wasn't kept sealed, and we have humidity here in FL. I heard you can stick it in the oven a a low temp to revive it?

So I thought that was a great deal by itself...
Then while we were talking about meeting up for the deal, he said, "Do you want this resin printer? its missing the power supply" and I said, "Ok, how much extra?" and he said, "no, you can have it included."
f4jPuAjl.jpg

I'm pretty stoked. I've never used SLA, it has everything but the power supply. Even gave me some resin. I've wanted to get into SLA printing but never took the step. Gotta start looking up how to use it.

So $200 for all of the above. I think I did pretty well.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You did good, the CR-10S is a great FDM printer and the Elegoo mars is a good resin from my understanding. I got the new creality resin printer and need to set it up.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
You did good, the CR-10S is a great FDM printer and the Elegoo mars is a good resin from my understanding. I got the new creality resin printer and need to set it up.
Thanks! Sorry, just saw the reply. Hope you got the resin printer up and running. I got mine in and printed out some stuff but was wondering why it kept producing prints with holes. Found a file for "Elegoo Mars Screen Test" and printed it and lo and behold, there were multiple spots that were producing holes. So I ordered a replacement screen, should come in a week or two.

I LOVE the CR-10S though. I am still learning some of its kinks (mainly, changing filament is a pain because I guess you're supposed to push it forward first then pull it through otherwise it gets stuck?), but printing full size helmets is great. I never used to print in PETG before, but now I love it for helmets.
A few things I've printed in the past month.
OnpLiOXl.jpg

aug4JBIl.jpg

Blue Spirit mask from Avatar: The Last Airbender
This was my first large, multi-day print. I think it turned out well, except the layer shift in the middle.

Upk3pzFl.jpg

Helmet from the Mandolorian
I was excited for this one, but ultimately disappointed in the final product. A few mistakes here:
- Scaled it too small because I measured my head for the wide part of the helmet and not the narrow (front)
- Used way too much "filler resin", which was resin mixed with powder to fill layer lines. It went on uneven and made it splotchy
- uneven sanding. I resolved this in the next print by buying a power sander.

2aBX7KRl.jpg

Magneto Helmet (bought model from etsy for $15)
Actually pretty proud of this one. Learned from the other ones and I think this came out relatively well. Made a few issues here, but ultimately I am happy with it.
Wasted nearly an entire can of red spraypaint though, as i kept trying to fix some mistakes. The crest was made with the resin printer, had to use wood filler to fix the aforementioned holes due to a bad LCD. This is a bday gift for a friend and I can't wait to give it to him.

So, lessons learned. Ready for the next thing. Maybe another smaller mask, or maybe a weapon. still deciding.
Also, Resin smoothing is pretty cool, look it up. For big holes that need to be patched, you can mix resin with baby powder (lots of it) to thicken it, then UV cure it, then sand it. Just don't be dumb like me and use it on your entire print. You can "paint" your full print with resin though to help speed up the smoothing process though.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Sorry, just saw the reply. Hope you got the resin printer up and running. I got mine in and printed out some stuff but was wondering why it kept producing prints with holes. Found a file for "Elegoo Mars Screen Test" and printed it and lo and behold, there were multiple spots that were producing holes. So I ordered a replacement screen, should come in a week or two.

I LOVE the CR-10S though. I am still learning some of its kinks (mainly, changing filament is a pain because I guess you're supposed to push it forward first then pull it through otherwise it gets stuck?), but printing full size helmets is great. I never used to print in PETG before, but now I love it for helmets.
A few things I've printed in the past month.
OnpLiOXl.jpg

aug4JBIl.jpg

Blue Spirit mask from Avatar: The Last Airbender
This was my first large, multi-day print. I think it turned out well, except the layer shift in the middle.

Upk3pzFl.jpg

Helmet from the Mandolorian
I was excited for this one, but ultimately disappointed in the final product. A few mistakes here:
- Scaled it too small because I measured my head for the wide part of the helmet and not the narrow (front)
- Used way too much "filler resin", which was resin mixed with powder to fill layer lines. It went on uneven and made it splotchy
- uneven sanding. I resolved this in the next print by buying a power sander.

2aBX7KRl.jpg

Magneto Helmet (bought model from etsy for $15)
Actually pretty proud of this one. Learned from the other ones and I think this came out relatively well. Made a few issues here, but ultimately I am happy with it.
Wasted nearly an entire can of red spraypaint though, as i kept trying to fix some mistakes. The crest was made with the resin printer, had to use wood filler to fix the aforementioned holes due to a bad LCD. This is a bday gift for a friend and I can't wait to give it to him.

So, lessons learned. Ready for the next thing. Maybe another smaller mask, or maybe a weapon. still deciding.
Also, Resin smoothing is pretty cool, look it up. For big holes that need to be patched, you can mix resin with baby powder (lots of it) to thicken it, then UV cure it, then sand it. Just don't be dumb like me and use it on your entire print. You can "paint" your full print with resin though to help speed up the smoothing process though.
Is that the mask for Avatar that Zuko wears as the spirit?
Edit: Woops yea you said it is.

I have not had a chance to print with it yet sadly. Still getting my new office space setup.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any experience with any prebuilt/easy kit CoreXY printers?

I've been looking at saving up for the Vivedino/Formbot Troodon since it's prebuilt and has a large print size (300x300x400 or 400x400x500), but I can find almost no info on it.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Not a easy intro to resin printing, picked up a voxelab proxima, really affordable 2K LCD SLA printer by a flashforge related company. Unit itself feels really well built and the software is nice but the levelling function which sets the Z height as 0 doesn't work for me. So had started a few prints with the build plate flush with the resin vat/FEP, leading to prints sticking to the film rather than the build plate. Took awhile to troubleshoot and figure that out, ending up having to improvise on the levelling and used an A4 sheet folded over 3 times to get the right height.

Now I'm learning slicing all over again for this style of printing, Chitubox crashes a fair bit but managed to export an example model that came with the printer (nozzle for draining the vat). Took me a few prints where the supports were printing fine but the actual model itself wasn't to realise that supports aren't as simple as they are in FDM. I think I've got a working print now but not being able to see the actual print on the build plate until an hour or two into the print sucks big time.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Not a easy intro to resin printing, picked up a voxelab proxima, really affordable 2K LCD SLA printer by a flashforge related company. Unit itself feels really well built and the software is nice but the levelling function which sets the Z height as 0 doesn't work for me. So had started a few prints with the build plate flush with the resin vat/FEP, leading to prints sticking to the film rather than the build plate. Took awhile to troubleshoot and figure that out, ending up having to improvise on the levelling and used an A4 sheet folded over 3 times to get the right height.

Now I'm learning slicing all over again for this style of printing, Chitubox crashes a fair bit but managed to export an example model that came with the printer (nozzle for draining the vat). Took me a few prints where the supports were printing fine but the actual model itself wasn't to realise that supports aren't as simple as they are in FDM. I think I've got a working print now but not being able to see the actual print on the build plate until an hour or two into the print sucks big time.
Try using lychee slicer. It's better than chitubox, but it is ad supported unless you buy a license. I find it to be a better piece of software and more stable, but you have to wait 20 second before saving each file

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Try using lychee slicer. It's better than chitubox, but it is ad supported unless you buy a license. I find it to be a better piece of software and more stable, but you have to wait 20 second before saving each file

Thanks, definitely seems a bit more easier to use and the auto orientation/support function seems a great deal better than Chitubox. I've sliced a few models using the auto orientation/support generation, if they come out the goods definitely will consider paying for it

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
My latest design is just a simple case for the external SSD that I'm using for my PS5. Is has a sliding mechanism and a very satisfying notch to keep it locked in place.

www.thingiverse.com

External Playstation/Xbox SSD Enclosure by Pjotrke

"No PS5 themed SSD enclosures available for my PS5? Why don't I design and print one myself?" This case is specifically designed to go with an SSD connected to the Sabrent USB 3.1 to SATA connector. I added the STP file If tweaks are needed for your specific...
I love printing things like movie props of masks, but the most satisfying is designing functional stuff like this in Fusion that are printable with as little as supports as possible. I hate using supports.

Last edited:

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Just curious what CAD packages are people using for their designs?

The main industrial ones are prohibitively expensive for personal use.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I mostly use Tinkercad due to its ease of use, although I do have Fusion 360 installed (it's free for personal use) and Meshmixer is handy for minor tweaks/cutting STLs.

Whenever I use Fusion 360, though, I feel in way over my head.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

SolidWorks

Someone on Reddit linked to a free download directly from Dassault for hobbyists.

I only just got a personal printer after messing around with the one at work, but this is what I'll be using since I already have a lot of familiarity with it from working in a different field.
I use CATIA, but working for Dassault makes it free. 😜

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I use CATIA, but working for Dassault makes it free. 😜
That's a pretty big perk, you using V5 or the latest version?

I use TInkerCAD, super simple to use. I pretty much just use it for modifying and tweaking minis.
I predominantly just use Tinkercad since it's online and free. That said if you want more advanced curve-math based designs, this has some good suggestions too: https://all3dp.com/1/best-free-3d-modeling-software-for-beginners/
Tinkercad for simple objects, Fusion 360 for more complex. Both are free.

Will look at tinkerCAD, I thought I had looked at fusion 360 and couldn't get a free version of it. I will check
again.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still on the 'subscribing to patreon before getting a printer' train, but I should pickup some blender while I'm waiting. Will be really exciting to design something from scratch, print it then paint it. A thing that never existed and you made all of it.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
I'm afraid to ask if this was already answered, but can I get a recommendation as to wich one to buy? I started a really small repair shop at the end of last month and sometimes I need spares for appliances that are hard to come by. So my issue is wich one can do technical pieces rather decently (cogs, clamps and other pieces from really small (up tp 1 cm) to medium (up to 20cm)), and the ocasional custom figurine that doesn't break the bank.

I really don't know which one to choose because I see so many models and brands and most of the recommended ones don't even ship to Mexico or make me think is a scam when sold localy. :(

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Been using Fusion360, there's a free version for personal/hobbyist use. My design skills aren't great but there's a number of great tutorials on youtube.

Getting more adventurous with my SLA printer, took a little bit to figure a good workflow after a print was done but I've got it down now. These printers are an absolute game changer if you're into minis

ld4sBV3l.png

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to get the personal fusion 360 which is exactly what I wanted. Had to search specifically for a personal edition as I found I couldn't navigate to it on autodesk's website.

Tinkercad sort of reminds me of how people used to make complex objects in garrysmod which I find funny/nostalgic, but not really what I was looking for.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
TinkerCAD here as well. Still learning though. Creating functional stuff is so satisfying.

Tried to replicate the magnet holders from lego decades ago
www.thingiverse.com

Magnet Clamp Brick by CaesarIII

I wanted to recreate the magnet clamps from the old Lego Sets. So I thought this would be a great way to teach myself some tinkercad. The red one is the Lego original in comparison. You need to pause the print to insert the magnet. It's designed to hold a 10x2mm round magnet.

but the most satisfying is designing functional stuff like this in Fusion that are printable with as little as supports as possible. I hate using supports
I try to do not use support as well :) hate them.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
So I think I'm nearly ready to do my first test print, though I think I should have just printed something right out of the box instead of making a couple upgrades. I changed the springs under the bed, the coupler at the hot end, and changed from the plastic to an aluminum feeder for the filament.

Next thing up is leveling the bed and per the video I followed calibrate my e-steps. I also need to figure out which board version I have so I can update the firmware at some point. So I can be sure that thermal runaway protection is active, from what I read it's not set by default. I won't be printing overnight but I'd like that bit of piece of mind.

e5ce2EA.jpg

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I think I'm nearly ready to do my first test print, though I think I should have just printed something right out of the box instead of making a couple upgrades. I changed the springs under the bed, the coupler at the hot end, and changed from the plastic to an aluminum feeder for the filament.

Next thing up is leveling the bed and per the video I followed calibrate my e-steps. I also need to figure out which board version I have so I can update the firmware at some point. So I can be sure that thermal runaway protection is active, from what I read it's not set by default. I won't be printing overnight but I'd like that bit of piece of mind.

e5ce2EA.jpg
Looks like you got the same springs as me, they really helped me with bed levelling as I found the included ones were too loose if I got them anywhere near where they needed to be. Ended up getting a BLTouch for auto bed levelling in the end anyway but still would've needed the spring upgrade.

Jul 18, 2018
So I bought an Ender v2 and it's been a week. I made some test prints and it was fine. However I'm having problems with the bed level, I think. I raised the nozzle temp, the bed temp but sometimes the filament just will not stick to the bed.

Also bed leveling is a torture for me. Whenever I auto it, sometimes the z axis changes. When I level the bed, and print, the nozzle will sometimes adjust too close to the bed etc and it will not print. I'm just having a rough time with it atm. Should I be doing z offset during the first layer laydowns while it's doing skirts etc?

I have upgraded the springs also

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like you got the same springs as me, they really helped me with bed levelling as I found the included ones were too loose if I got them anywhere near where they needed to be. Ended up getting a BLTouch for auto bed levelling in the end anyway but still would've needed the spring upgrade.

Once I figure out all the firmware stuff I'll probably get a BLTouch too.

This has been fun so far, and I haven't even printed anything. My only experience so far is with the printer at my office which I was told to take the lead on though I'm still not sure why we have one (civil engineering company).

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Need to srot out a new screen for my Ender 3 Pro as a spanner dropped on mine from a great height. Deep joy.

EDIT:

Instead of just replacing the damaged screen for £18, I instead opted to get a new BIGTREETECH SKR Mini E3 V2.0 mainboard, TFT35 E3 V3.0 colour touchscreen and bl touch for levelling.

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

SolidWorks

Someone on Reddit linked to a free download directly from Dassault for hobbyists.

I only just got a personal printer after messing around with the one at work, but this is what I'll be using since I already have a lot of familiarity with it from working in a different field.
There's going to be a maker version of SOLIDWORKS later this year.
discover.solidworks.com

Power the Maker Within

With 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers, industry leading 3D CAD Software for hobbyists and personal project