• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I only just noted that Wario Land 3 is considered a different platform sequel in the Parish perspective

Ya know I think this is a real odd approach (is there really much else exclusive to the GBC that could make a strong top 30?)
List master Parish will have to educate me in the next polygon rankathon

30 strong GBC games is pretty difficult imo. Ones I remember liking:

Warioland 3
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
Toki Tori
Spy vs. Spy
Magical Tetris Challenge
Pokemon Crystal
Pokémon Pinball
Pokémon Puzzle Challenge
Mega Man Xtreme 2
Lufia: The Legend Returns
Dragon Warrior III
Puyo Puyo~n
Warlocked
Bomberman Max
Donkey Kong Country
Tom and Jerry: Mouse Attacks
Hunter X Hunter: Kindan no Hihou
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Samurai Kid
Metal Gear Solid
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Project S-11
Shantae
Wendy: Every Witch Way
Blaster Master : Enemy Below
Magical Chase
Cannon Fodder

I haven't played a lot of them since they were released though. Curious as to how some of them have aged. Feels like cheating to put Link's Awakening DX in so I didn't - the extra dungeon sucked, and colour took away from the vibe of the game imo

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf? I've never looked into DK94 bc I thought it was a port of the arcade one or something. Is it really undeniably better than something like LA?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Note that this list also didn't include hybrid GB/GBC black carts (unless I accidentally included something, but I tried to double check all my selections to be sure I stuck to grey-only... well, and red/blue). There's tons of great stuff in the black-and-clear cart zone.
I think the only hybrid there is Wario Land 2.
I wonder how limited the non colour Wario Land 2 was, it was the version I owned and I felt jipped when I saw a colour version not long after.

30 strong GBC games is pretty difficult imo. Ones I remember liking:

Warioland 3
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
Toki Tori
Spy vs. Spy
Magical Tetris Challenge
Pokemon Crystal
Pokémon Pinball
Pokémon Puzzle Challenge
Mega Man Xtreme 2
Lufia: The Legend Returns
Dragon Warrior III
Puyo Puyo~n
Warlocked
Bomberman Max
Donkey Kong Country
Tom and Jerry: Mouse Attacks
Hunter X Hunter: Kindan no Hihou
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Samurai Kid
Metal Gear Solid
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Project S-11
Shantae
Wendy: Every Witch Way
Blaster Master : Enemy Below
Magical Chase
Cannon Fodder

I haven't played a lot of them since they were released though. Curious as to how some of them have aged. Feels like cheating to put Link's Awakening DX in so I didn't - the extra dungeon sucked, and colour took away from the vibe of the game imo
I always remember a UK nintendo mag hyping up Wendy: Every With Way.

That's not too bad a lineup, with a surprising amount of solid licensing tie ins.
Alas WWF Betrayal is not good enough to join them, what an interesting game that was.

[redacted]

Dec 28, 2017
Didn't expect to see Chalvo there. Maybe not a favorite of mine but does have some cool ideas for a game of its time.

For JP-only GB games I really liked Astro Rabby.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"While Metroid II is admittedly the weakest of the numbered Metroid games"

uhh Metroid II is the ONLY numbered Metroid game lol

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
DK belongs at the top, but where the hell is this?

1200px-MGGBC_Cover.png
Yeah this was top 30. Mole mania too low. Links Awakening too low. I had the camera. It was cool. Not top 10.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
DK94 is so good that I'd even rank it among top games unrelated to the gameboy.

I can play DK94 on GBA and 3DS right? Yeah it's the best game on those systems too, fuck it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Please stop listing Game Boy Color games!

As for Jeremy's list, it's pretty perfect. I would have liked to have seen James Bond 007 on there, and For Whom the Frog Bell Tolls. Much like Cave Noire it relies on translation patch to play in English.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Dragon Warrior Monsters is an utterly bizarre and glaring omission. DWM2 is the best game on the Game Boy. The list is decent otherwise.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super Metroid is called Metroid III on the title screen, too. Turn in your badge, kittens, you're off the force.

Also, Metroid: Zero Mission (despite that being a remake of what's implicitly Metroid 1, though I guess they could retcon it and say that Metriod NES/Zero Mission is "Metriod 0" and the Prime series collectively is Metriod 1).

Last edited:

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Although the list doesn't explicitly say so, historical importance seems to be as important to its composition as the question of what someone should play today is. From a historical standpoint, the Game Boy Camera is certainly one of its more important features. (Although including it on a list of greatest games is still a bit of a stretch, as the writeup acknowledges.

No one had that thing. Its really not that important.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I wondered where For Frog The Bell Tolls was too, since Cave Noire made it on. It feels like the great untranslated grey cart to me.

Oct 28, 2017
My obviously superior list:

30. Dexterity
29. Dexterity
28. Dexterity
27. Dexterity
26. Dexterity
25. Dexterity
24. Dexterity
23. Dexterity
22. Dexterity
21. Dexterity
20. Dexterity
19. Dexterity
18. Dexterity
17. Dexterity
16. Snow Bros
15. Dexterity
14. Dexterity
13. Dexterity
12. Dexterity
11. Dexterity
10. Dexterity
9. Kid Dracula
8. Trip World
7. Dexterity
6. Dexterity
5. Gargoyle's Quest
4. Dragon Quest Monsters
3. Link's Awakening
2. Dexterity
1. Dexterity

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fusion is Metroid 4 on the title screen!
Super Metroid is called Metroid III on the title screen, too. Turn in your badge, kittens, you're off the force.
Also, Metroid: Zero Mission (despite that being a remake of what's implicitly Metroid 1, though I guess they could retcon it and say that Metriod NES/Zero Mission is "Metriod 0" and the Prime series collectively is Metriod 1).
Damn I have been thoroughly debunked! I knew about Super Metroid but not Fusion, and Zero Mission is a good catch.

Also I've had this article in an open tab since seeing this thread yesterday, and I gotta say I've been really enjoying reading through it. I've really got to find a way to play some of these games, I'm really curious.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Some deep cuts on this list... but it's a good one. I feel the GB doesn't get enough love in retro communities. FF Adventure is my favorite and glad to see it's on there! But I kind of expected to see Great Greed on the list too...

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Some deep cuts on this list... but it's a good one. I feel the GB doesn't get enough love in retro communities. FF Adventure is my favorite and glad to see it's on there! But I kind of expected to see Great Greed on the list too...
Great Greed was originally on the list—I even wrote it up. It ended up being bumped (along with one or two others) after I completed the first draft and realized I had overlooked some essentials.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Good list.
Maybe I would have added Motocross Maniacs.

I thought that the "Zero Mission" title was a nod at the flashback you get near the end of the newly created for the remake "zero suit mission".

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, I loved the Sword of Hope! I've never seen anybody else even acknowledge it before.
I didn't play a lot of different gb games, tbh. Approximately 95% of my times with the system was with different Pokémon games.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that the "Zero Mission" title was a nod at the flashback you get near the end of the newly created for the remake "zero suit mission".

Nah, I think it was more just a happy coincidence than a deliberate choice. "Zero" implies a start or point of origin, and it sounded cooler than, say "Mission One," so it seemed like a good choice for the title, while "Zero" also implies a lack or absence of something, which makes sense for the Zero Suit as Samus is basically stripped down of all her gear. Also, Samus's monologue at the start of the game states that the story of the game is that of "[her] so-called Zero Mission," so the title is clearly referring to the whole game and not just the Zero Suit section.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
It's crazy that Heiankyo Alien is on that list.

Then again, I remember when I was a kid and I figured out to play it, I would play it for HOURS.