• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
- "series" is a cop-out really
- Game Boy Camera as a game is eh
- No Dragon Warrior Monsters is a crime

If I'm going to critique I should attempt, so:

30. Harvest Moon GB
29. The Sword Of Hope
28. The Sword Of Hope 2
27. Final Fantasy Legend III
26. Kirby's Pinball Land
25. Kid Dracula
24. Trip World
23. Final Fantasy Legend II
22. Kirby's Dream Land
21. Final Fantasy Adventure
20. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
19. Avenging Spirit
18. Mercenary Force
17. Ikari no Yousai 2
16. Balloon Kid
15. Duck Tales 2
14. Pokémon Yellow
13. Bionic Commando
12. Gargoyle's Quest
11. Super Mario Land 2
10. Kirby's Dream Land 2
9. Mole Mania
8. Wario Land 2
7. For Frog the Bell Tolls (Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru - never released west, Link's Awakening used this engine [Prince Richard in LA is a reference to this game] - translation available here - https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1623/)
6. Tetris
5. Mega Man V
4. Donkey Kong '94
3. Dragon Warrior Monsters
2. Super Mario Land 3 : Wario Land
1. The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening

I haven't played a few of Jeremy's picks (Chalvo 55/Cave Noire/Heiankyo Alien), so they may deserve to supplant some of my selection for all I know

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Mystic Quest (FF Adventure) is probably my favourite one that's missing, along with Probotector (Contra: Operation C). Also, Darkwing Duck.

Such a huge part of my childhood, from long car journeys to night-time gaming. I had so many weird accessories for it too.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Mystic Quest (FF Adventure) is probably my favourite one that's missing, along with Probotector (Contra: Operation C). Also, Darkwing Duck.

Might want to check again for FFA lol

Such a huge part of my childhood, from long car journeys to night-time gaming. I had so many weird accessories for it too.

I always wanted this:

220px-Handy_Boy_ad_for_original_Game_Boy.jpg

Glad I never got it though, apparently it was crap

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Might want to check again for FFA lol

I always wanted this:

220px-Handy_Boy_ad_for_original_Game_Boy.jpg

Glad I never got it though, apparently it was crap
Hah, it's always 'Mystic Quest' first to me so I missed that, thanks! :D

My GB looked a bit like that when decked out- I had a similar magnifier/light that I always used. The most important 'accessory' to me was the rechargable batteries and charger that my dad got me, I think he got fed up of me asking for AA batteries all the time!

derder

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The list looks fine, surprisingly, but I'd swap Tetris and game boy camera. The game boy camera Will be lost to history but those games will live forever

Oct 29, 2017
The list looks fine, surprisingly, but I'd swap Tetris and game boy camera. The game boy camera Will be lost to history but those games will live forever

The Game Boy Camera lives on through Instagram and all of those silly filters and things on your mobile phone today.

They were all, absolutely, inspired by the Game Boy Camera.

The Game Boy Camera also had an ongoing legacy within Nintendo itself; with the DSi (and its myriad of DSi Camera based games) and 3DS Camera.

It'll probably make another return some day with future Nintendo hardware too.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I think there's a mistake in the GB Camera entry. But the shmup there is Space Fever II, a sequel to the old Nintendo arcade title. Solar Striker is a completely different brand new Nintendo game for Game Boy (it's also a pretty decent game).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Too many "series" usage.
Let the entries fight, because we all know that Dream Land 2, Mario Land 2 and Wario Land 2 are the superior picks to their counterparts
Behold the power of LAND 2, even DK land gets this as derivative as DKL2 was compared to the other members of its trilogy.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Too many "series" usage.
Let the entries fight, because we all know that Dream Land 2, Mario Land 2 and Wario Land 2 are the superior picks to their counterparts
Behold the power of LAND 2, even DK land gets this as derivative as DKL2 was compared to the other members of its trilogy.

Dunno about Wario Land. 1>2 for me

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
You put Heiankyo Alien into the list, but not the other great Meldac GB title Mercenary Force? I'm surprised, honestly. Both at that, and that Heiankyo being at a lower ranking on the list, given how much you go on about the game in general.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You put Heiankyo Alien into the list, but not the other great Meldac GB title Mercenary Force? I'm surprised, honestly. Both at that, and that Heiankyo being at a lower ranking on the list, given how much you go on about the game in general.
Jeremy likes Mercenary Force, I think the other titles just beat it out.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Opinions and all that, but I'm not sure how anything but Tetris can be number one.

Nothing against DK 94, Pokémon or the Game Boy Camera (which is great pick), but Tetris is a timeless classic

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game Boy Camera is a WTF choice and Pokemon ranks way too high as always but overall it's a quality list with some good variety. I would have included Battletoads, Burai Fighter Deluxe, and Operation C but it's nice to see more obscure stuff on the list.

Parish on Space Invaders said:
This was a U.S.-exclusive release
Canada still exists.

I hope the Lynx gets a top 30 list for its 30th birthday.

Last edited:

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
LA shouldn't ever rank lower than #2 on a best GB list and putting Pokemon series is cheating, good list otherwise.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
My reminder not to overlook Mega Man IV, which is just as good as V even if it doesn't have as much original content

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Metroid 2 should be much higher imo. I also miss Qix and Mortal Kombat 2 in that list, I really loved these games. I also had a pool game which I played a lot. Can't remember the name tho.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really argue with DK'94

It is so so good, and definitely underrated in the broader gaming world. Every year I hope we get DK'20XX and it never happens.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Nobody ever mentions Revenge of the 'Gator. It's a fantastic pinball game with great music. A true hidden gem.
Also, I'd add Solomon's Club over a good handfull of games on that list.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I thought number 1 was that Donkey Kong platformer I played on it back in the day. Tetris is my number 1 though. Followed by Link's Awakening. Super Mario Land 2 is better than 1.

Nov 2, 2017
I see where you're coming from, but I think bunching series up like this gives the author of the list more freedom to focus on what makes each game unique. If he had to write about each Game and Watch Gallery, and why one might be better than the other, I don't think that would make for a compelling article. This way, he can just say "you should play them and here's why," instead of "here's why you should play each one."
Agreed. I understand the series copout argument but Jeremy breaks it down well for a list like this and that choice allowed him to focus on other titles. I would certainly have my own additions but a great list.

Always torn about Tetris' ranking. Probably should be higher. While I also think the GB version is the "official" version of the game, the lack of save features (suspend play/high scores) was always a knock for me, even back in the day. I probably ended up playing more Tetris DX just because it saved high scores.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I have zero compunctions about grouping certain series into a single entry and giving lesser-known greats some breathing room. A list glutted with breakouts for individual Mario, Wario, Final Fantasy Legend (etc.) titles would have pushed things like Chalvo 55 out of the article, and the whole point of this exercise was ultimately to let people know, "Hey, these are things you should track down and play"—which is exactly how a lot of readers are using it. Losing all the worthwhile entries at the lower ranks of the list in favor of explaining why both Mario Land AND Mario Land 2 are really good would have accomplished nothing of any actual value.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero compunctions about grouping certain series into a single entry and giving lesser-known greats some breathing room. A list glutted with breakouts for individual Mario, Wario, Final Fantasy Legend (etc.) titles would have pushed things like Chalvo 55 out of the article, and the whole point of this exercise was ultimately to let people know, "Hey, these are things you should track down and play"—which is exactly how a lot of readers are using it. Losing all the worthwhile entries at the lower ranks of the list in favor of explaining why both Mario Land AND Mario Land 2 are really good would have accomplished nothing of any actual value.
I figured this was likely the case, to avoid the known franchise overload.

Then again I also personally find a number of the grouped titles to have quite a gulf between them in some instances, all is forgiven though now i notice Awakening is in on its own merits and that dastardly overworld mess Oracle of Seasons isn't riding its coattails.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figured this was likely the case, to avoid the known franchise overload.

Then again I also personally find a number of the grouped titles to have quite a gulf between them in some instances, all is forgiven though now i notice Awakening is in on its own merits and that dastardly overworld mess Oracle of Seasons isn't riding its coattails.
Oracle games are GBC

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Oracle games are GBC
Oh yeah, I only just noted that Wario Land 3 is considered a different platform sequel in the Parish perspective

Ya know I think this is a real odd approach (is there really much else exclusive to the GBC that could make a strong top 30?)
List master Parish will have to educate me in the next polygon rankathon

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Donkey Kong Land 2 didn't even make it? Oh wel...
Nice to see Bubble Ghost mentioned here too by other user.
Another of my favourites were the Crazy Castle series by Kemco, specially Mickey's Magic Wands and Soreyuke Kid. At least they got in with the Sword of Hope series.

I guess this list gives us a look at what a possible Game Boy Mini lineup would have looked like, but I don't know if they would have dared to include around 40 titles for that.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Ya know I think this is a real odd approach (is there really much else exclusive to the GBC that could make a strong top 30?)
Note that this list also didn't include hybrid GB/GBC black carts (unless I accidentally included something, but I tried to double check all my selections to be sure I stuck to grey-only... well, and red/blue). There's tons of great stuff in the black-and-clear cart zone.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty good list. And number 1 is absolutely spot on.

Took me 15 years to complete Donkey kong. That game has so much content.

Nov 2, 2017
Note that this list also didn't include hybrid GB/GBC black carts (unless I accidentally included something, but I tried to double check all my selections to be sure I stuck to grey-only... well, and red/blue). There's tons of great stuff in the black-and-clear cart zone.
Great list Jeremy. What are your thoughts on the Kirby GB spin-offs (Pinball, Block Ball, Star Stacker)? I just love the Pinball game (would be a personal top 10), and would rank Block Ball and Star Stacker pretty high. Played Revenge of the Gator for the first time, courtesy of the 3DS VC … great stuff, as well. I've also been playing through Balloon Kid and Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters via 3DS VC.

Look forward to checking out some of the games on your list I'm not familiar with.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this series of articles btw. I think the Donkey Kong list is the only one that I didn't super disagree with for one reason or another, but I feel like the reasoning is always really informative and they always expose me to something I'm unaware of because they're so thorough.

I was a little disappointed that some of these games don't have images accompanying them but I can understand if there were some issues because some are so obscure.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Really interesting list, Jeremy, thanks for that. Brought back some memories for me, at least!