• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
List additions
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Two more for the list (highlighting here since they're being slotted into the existing order).

Reclamation

ActualWebbedAmericancurl-size_restricted.gif

A claymation Metroidvania.
Developer: HatHair Games
Release Date: TBA
Platforms: TBA
Twitter

Refactor
BlackHauntingFowl-size_restricted.gif

Refactor is a physics-based platformer taking elements from classic Metroidvanias. Placed in a world that is a puzzle itself, you can literally turn the world upside down by rearranging the map and building your own pathways through the game. Uncover secrets, acquire new abilities and upgrades, and discover where you fit in the world.
Developer: NextGen Pants
Release Date: Spring 2020
Platforms: PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch
Twitter
Official Site

Last edited:

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, OP. It warms my heart seeing the metroidvania genre thrive like this, I can't get enough of these games. So much potential for surprising gems!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Savior is one of my most anticipated titles this year. I even made a thread on it. My god the combat and dynamic movement has me so excited. You can even use enemies as platforms mid fight to vault away.

The kickstarter trailer was one of the best ones I've seen. It does a great job selling the game.

List additions #2
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
3 more, same deal with being added into the existing alphabetical order:

Apocalypse Cow
AstonishingOpenBlobfish-size_restricted.gif

In the digital universe, the city of Prime is a beacon of prosperity and order. But the complacency of its citizens is challenged when a glitch causes them to stop respawning and are faced with their own mortality.
Developer: Monsters
Platforms: PC, Xbox One
Steam
Twitter
Official Site

Alwa's Legacy
VigilantMelodicHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif

Alwa's Legacy is a modern retro game full of dangerous dungeons, magical items and ancient secrets. By upgrading your magic, any way forward is right in this non-linear adventure game full of exploration
Developer: Elden Pixels
Release Date: April 2020
Twitter
https://eldenpixels.com/
Kickstarter

Raygun Gadabout
AnchoredWildCoqui-size_restricted.gif

Travel the cosmos aboard your ship, explore alien worlds. Upgrade your abilities and your ship. The final frontier is yours to discover in this epic intergalactic adventure!
Developer: Quantum Duck Studio Ltd.
Platforms: PC
Steam
Twitter
Official Site

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Thankful for the thread. Having never played a castlevania or a metroid game, I'm pretty lttp on metroidvania games, but hollow knight is one of my all time favourite games, so I'm definitely interested in more metroidvania goodness.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Thank you for this thread. A lot of interesting games here that I most likely wouldn't have known about. Bushido and Savior look absolutely fantastic.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Thankful for the thread. Having never played a castlevania or a metroid game, I'm pretty lttp on metroidvania games, but hollow knight is one of my all time favourite games, so I'm definitely interested in more metroidvania goodness.

There are plenty of already released titles out there as well. You certainly have a lot of options!

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
This has become my favorite genre and glad it's doing well enough to get regular new releases. I know some people are getting fatigue but I'll play two or three a year. Thanks for this thread OP. You showed me a few I didn't know about that look interesting!

List addition #3
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Another addition:

9 Years of Shadows
AnxiousDependableFlatcoatretriever-size_restricted.gif

An abandoned orphanage lay submerged in dark secrets. Explore the memories of its missing orphans to rip the world from the curse that has befallen it.
Developer: Halberd Studios
Release Date: TBA, Kickstarter in March
Twitter
Official Site

Last edited:

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dan Crane you are consistently posting the indie love, so wonderful to see! I've found so many great games because of one of your posts. Thank you!

List addition #4
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
This is an awesome list so far, there are actually a bunch I wasn't aware of for me to wishlist.
Also, if it's alright, I'd like to humbly suggest the metroidvania I'm currently working on right now; it's made the popular upcoming list on Steam but still seems to fly under the radar for a lot of fans of the genre.

Certainly!

Rune Fencer Illyia
DeterminedTalkativeAardvark-size_restricted.gif

Rune Fencer Illyia is an intense, atmospheric action-platformer with a heavy focus on exploration and combat. Traverse an enormous, mysterious and dangerous world, meet strange allies and enemies, and outfight your numerous foes with fast-paced swordplay and powerful runic magic.
Developer: Nootbox Games
Release Date: 2020
Platforms: PC. Switch
Steam
Twitter

Last edited:

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I need a "wishlist all" button.

Seriously tho, I need strong RPG elements to stay invested in these.

Oct 24, 2019
The Last Faith looks like an utter Bloodborne rip off from that gif lol. Could be good regardless.

Being & Becoming is the only thing that really caught my eye (aside from known quantites like Carrion and Hollow Knight Silksong of course)

List addition #5
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
REDO! is getting an enhanced edition on console:

REDO! - Enhanced Edition
ZigzagCrazyCommabutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Inspired by the works of Tsutomu Nihei and Lovecraft, and presented in a non-linear, open format, REDO! provides a dark and mysterious narrative within a gloomy and vastly interconnected decaying city.
Developer: Robson Paiva
Release Date: Q3 2020
Twitter

The Kickstarter is live now:

www.kickstarter.com

9 Years of Shadows

A Heartfelt Metroidvania Experience

Updated, thanks.

List is now over 50 games!

Last edited:

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely INCREDIBLE thread!!! As a massive Metroidvania fan, this is truly a godsend. I had not heard of most of these! Hope a good number come to Switch!

List addition #6
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Good stuff, added that and Environmental Station Alpha 2.

Environmental Station Alpha 2
KlutzyHappygoluckyDuckbillcat-size_restricted.gif

I couldn't help myself and started development on a new metroidvania straight after finishing ESA. This game continues the story and explains some of ESA's more mysterious elements. The game is still fairly early in development but I definitely hope it won't take as long as ESA did.
Developer: Hempuli
Dev Log
Twitter

Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
DangerousMessyFly-size_restricted.gif

Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is a 2D-syle Metroidvania (action-exploration) game based on Record of Lodoss War. Immerse yourself in the gorgeous pixel animations, and take advantage of abilities such as swapping weapons, and get help from elemental spirits on your journey to solve the arcane mysteries of the labyrinth.
Developer: Why so serious?/Team Ladybug
Platforms: PC
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1203630/Record_of_Lodoss_WarDeedlit_in_Wonder_Labyrinth/

Last edited:

GrahamGoring

Nov 8, 2017
Well, this has made me feel terrible about the Metroidvania I've been making for the past God-know's how many years... ;)

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's still wondering "where the hell is ghost song" I've been a bit quiet publicly lately and part of the reason for that is I just signed with a pretty major publisher to provide some much needed assistance and ensure the game will be as good as it can be. I'm not able to say who it is yet as it's not been publicly announced and may not be for a bit yet, but things are going well!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's still wondering "where the hell is ghost song" I've been a bit quiet publicly lately and part of the reason for that is I just signed with a pretty major publisher to provide some much needed assistance and ensure the game will be as good as it can be. I'm not able to say who it is yet as it's not been publicly announced and may not be for a bit yet, but things are going well!

I take it that's one of the "good things" you mentioned in December? That's awesome, congrats!

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

This game is amazing BTW. Right off the bat you start getting a few core differences from this being a purely SOTN clone. Oh dont get me wrong SOTN is in there in every moment and its wonderful but the elements that are new they add are wonderful and feel like its expanding upon SOTN in wonderful ways.

You start getting for items, in addition to the normal weapons and gear , elemental spirits. These seem to be like getting powers for Alucard like his bat form or whatever. But immediately they do things and use them in ways SOTN never had as experiences...even some of the core weapons add huge gameplay experiences as well. For example, the bow is something you can hold a button and aim 360 degrees while moving, but if it hits metal the arrow will ricochet like crazy similar to the crystal in SOTN. Unlike that tool though the arrow can cut ropes and it immediately starts having you utilize this to perform some ricochet shots to cut arrows to open passage way gates and solve puzzles!

Also I mentioned elemental spirits. Some walls in this game are color coded and made of fire or air or whatever. To pass through them without damage you need to hit a trigger to swap to an elemental spirit you've found and it will protect you. Sounds like a dull feature? Not when their are spirits given out early and they immediately start having puzzles with moving tornado like walls of fire and wind and you suddenly have to flip back and forth rapidly during platform IKARUGA style to stay safe! Plus each elemental has a power. Fire allows you to blow up barrels and air lets you hover and fly upwards slightly to traverse things similar to bat in SOTN.

Plus the game is very interesting. You'll be walking along then suddenly the screen will jolt with an image thats all dark and mysterious for a split second and come back and things will have changed or someone will have appeared. Its very spooky and crazy and al this together is making it an amazing experience thats not only got the greatest parts of SOTN at its every foundation but a ton of new elements to enjoy...and Im only a very very very short ways in. I havent even faced a boss yet. Who knows what it has in store down the line.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't see this thread at first, a lot of these look great. Will check them out.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Pretty wild to me how many of these games release on pc. Like, if I wanted access to every Metroidvania game, pc is the platform

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Lots of work ahead, but at least now I don't have to worry about eating and stuff!
Glad to hear you're getting a publisher and support. I was following you before Axiom Verge 1 even became a thing. You've polished, repolished and even revised many a time since those days. Still look forward to it.
Work hard and do your best!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations!

Ghost Song is one game I've been looking forward to for a long time now.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
This game is amazing BTW. Right off the bat you start getting a few core differences from this being a purely SOTN clone. Oh dont get me wrong SOTN is in there in every moment and its wonderful but the elements that are new they add are wonderful and feel like its expanding upon SOTN in wonderful ways.

You start getting for items, in addition to the normal weapons and gear , elemental spirits. These seem to be like getting powers for Alucard like his bat form or whatever. But immediately they do things and use them in ways SOTN never had as experiences...even some of the core weapons add huge gameplay experiences as well. For example, the bow is something you can hold a button and aim 360 degrees while moving, but if it hits metal the arrow will ricochet like crazy similar to the crystal in SOTN. Unlike that tool though the arrow can cut ropes and it immediately starts having you utilize this to perform some ricochet shots to cut arrows to open passage way gates and solve puzzles!

Also I mentioned elemental spirits. Some walls in this game are color coded and made of fire or air or whatever. To pass through them without damage you need to hit a trigger to swap to an elemental spirit you've found and it will protect you. Sounds like a dull feature? Not when their are spirits given out early and they immediately start having puzzles with moving tornado like walls of fire and wind and you suddenly have to flip back and forth rapidly during platform IKARUGA style to stay safe! Plus each elemental has a power. Fire allows you to blow up barrels and air lets you hover and fly upwards slightly to traverse things similar to bat in SOTN.

Plus the game is very interesting. You'll be walking along then suddenly the screen will jolt with an image thats all dark and mysterious for a split second and come back and things will have changed or someone will have appeared. Its very spooky and crazy and al this together is making it an amazing experience thats not only got the greatest parts of SOTN at its every foundation but a ton of new elements to enjoy...and Im only a very very very short ways in. I havent even faced a boss yet. Who knows what it has in store down the line.

To say this is my most anticipated game of the year would be an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!!! I can't freakin wait for RoLW DeeLit. I'm going start playing their previous game, Luahuna Nights again and give it another shot. I got stumped at the first boss and quit. When do you guys think RoLW DeeLit will leave early access and the full game released?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Faith has a kickstarter starting "soon". Need to keep my eye on it!

They recently delayed the campaign due to COVID-19.

To say this is my most anticipated game of the year would be an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!!! I can't freakin wait for RoLW DeeLit. I'm going start playing their previous game, Luahuna Nights again and give it another shot. I got stumped at the first boss and quit. When do you guys think RoLW DeeLit will leave early access and the full game released?

4 months in Early Access was the initial estimate.

Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

The Looter on Steam

The Looter is a 2D action-adventure game set in the post-apocalyptic land of Tortura, a giant forest that has slowly devoured the traces of civilization long gone. As the Looter, you set out on a mission that will take you through the most perilous corners of this dark and dangerous world