• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Except all this retro arch thingy, can somebody tell me what series s can do in terms of native retro compatibility?
I mean (sorry for the stupid question I'm out of the whole MS loop) if I insert an old Xbox or Xbox 360 game, it runs the actual disk?
Series S doesn't have a disc drive.

Series X will run the same BC games as Xbox One. It doesn't run from the disc but it will download a native version of the game when you insert a disc. Some games are enhanced to close to or at 2160p depending on the system.

Might be a better list somewhere but here is IGNs list.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
Except all this retro arch thingy, can somebody tell me what series s can do in terms of native retro compatibility?
I mean (sorry for the stupid question I'm out of the whole MS loop) if I insert an old Xbox or Xbox 360 game, it runs the actual disk?
There's no disc reader in series s, so you can only play downloaded games.

Edit: Better explanation above!

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017

Only X has a disc slot, not the S.

Microsoft has a selected number of original Xbox and 360 games compatible through their backward compatibility programme.

Here are their 38 supported original gen games.

Here are their 478 supported 360 games.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
I understand everything in this video except where to get retrospective - is this there a link to download this as a package that I can sideload in dev mode?
Retrospective is just the name of the Retroarch program on retail (maybe to avoid getting it removed quicker?) , if you have the dev mode version it would just be the Retroarch folder I am guessing.

Smilator

Apr 18, 2019
Series S doesn't have a disc drive.

Series X will run the same BC games as Xbox One. It doesn't run from the disc but it will download a native version of the game when you insert a disc. Some games are enhanced to close to or at 2160p depending on the system.

Might be a better list somewhere but here is IGNs list.
There's no disc reader in series s, so you can only play downloaded games.

Edit: Better explanation above!
Only X has a disc slot, not the S.

Microsoft has a selected number of original Xbox and 360 games compatible through their backward compatibility programme.

Here are their 38 supported original gen games.

Here are their 478 supported 360 games.

Thank you guys, yeah forgot about the disk :P

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
New video from ETA PRIME with the XSX and Retroarch/PPSSPP.

haha was coming into this thread to post this. good video, seems like he's having the same ps2 issues I am

I might cave and buy the file explorer app, because I think winscp might be leaving temp files over ftp

MachRc

Oct 6, 2020
dom in discord said the app is now updated with duckstation a ps1 emulator this morning. I forgot to bring my controller to remote into the seriex to "work" on more stuff at "work"

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Okay, I think I've *mostly* figured this stuff out for Retail Retroarch at this point, but have a few questions...
  1. At this point, I can't play any of the PS1 games I have (Dino Crisis/Parappa, etc.). The roms show up (.7z), but when I click them, they just bring me to an option to load archive or load library. Does that mean I'm missing a Bio to play them?
  2. I've been using My Files Explorer to bring the roms onto Internal. Is there a limit to how many games I can bring on (would love to have Mario Kart Wii/Super Mario Galaxy 1&2). If so, can I just go through the same steps I did before, but add them all to my External Hard drive instead of Internal XSX?
  3. Any suggested bios to add that aren't already there (I just added PCSX2) so far.
Thanks!

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, this is being removed next week?

If I don't have it installed now, should I install it?

Where do I get it?

Thanks!

Sep 29, 2020
Okay, I think I've *mostly* figured this stuff out for Retail Retroarch at this point, but have a few questions...
  1. At this point, I can't play any of the PS1 games I have (Dino Crisis/Parappa, etc.). The roms show up (.7z), but when I click them, they just bring me to an option to load archive or load library. Does that mean I'm missing a Bio to play them?
  2. I've been using My Files Explorer to bring the roms onto Internal. Is there a limit to how many games I can bring on (would love to have Mario Kart Wii/Super Mario Galaxy 1&2). If so, can I just go through the same steps I did before, but add them all to my External Hard drive instead of Internal XSX?
  3. Any suggested bios to add that aren't already there (I just added PCSX2) so far.
Thanks!

1. I'm pretty sure none of the PSX cores support zipped isos.
2. 16gb limit iirc.
3. Whatever system you want to emulate? I don't think any bois files are included but some emulators don't need them.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Anybody got any tips for GameCube?
I managed to get Rogue Leader to boot, but everything else just hangs on a black screen

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I sent an email to be whitelisted and it's been several days. Does it take this long typically?

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody got any tips for GameCube?
I managed to get Rogue Leader to boot, but everything else just hangs on a black screen

There's a required sys folder to be copied to internal for Dolphin. This made a previously glitchy mess Monkey Ball work for me. If you google 'libretro github docs dolphin' it's explained there. You'll need to use the 'My Files Explorer' app to copy the content.

Also some are having problems with the core switching back to gl. There are instructions above too to stop this (although I didn't have this issue).

Games can take a good few minutes to load, so wait a bit longer than you would expect. Hope this helps.

broderm

Jun 15, 2020
I downloaded the retail version of RetroArch and the PSP emulator to both my old One X and the Series X last night. I only played around on the old One X version so all these comments only apply to using an Xbox ONE X.

- The FTF program works pretty flawlessly, though it took me a while to figure out the folder structure. I'm using Filezilla over a wired gigabit connection and speeds were very reasonable for transferring data.

- The standalone PSP emulator works pretty well on the One X at a 3X scale. I only tested one title but it ran well. It might go higher but I felt 3X was good enough.

- RetroArch took quite a bit of fiddling to get where I wanted it. I prefer the XMB interface so I had fix that and then the icons were all missing so I had to fix that too but after this it seemed to work pretty well. Again this was on a ONE X internal HDD. Some notes:

- I tried NES, SNES, and Genesis and all ran well, even with a CRT filter applied.
- File operations, as some have mentioned, are VERY SLOW on this. Expect to wait for several seconds at a black screen for even tiny games to load. Once they load they work fine. Hopefully this can be sorted in the future.
- Since the Xbox button now brings up the XB guide instead of RetroArch menu in order to quit the game or change filters, you have to go in and define a new menu hotkey combo for RA. I used L3 + R3.
- In my experience, if you have your games in .ZIPs, RetroArch will unzip them but doesn't erase the game file afterwards, making having them .zipped pointless.
- Many changes I made in RetroArch did not take affect until I closed it out and restarted it. They didn't take effect immediately like the PC version. So if you make a change and it doesn't seem to have worked, close RA and restart it.

Thanks for the post. As a Xbox One X owner, I was on the fence about it. Gonna jump in tonight.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances of some front ends being compatible? Launchbox would be dope. Would there also be a way in the future for more 360 compatibility for discs?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only for the Xbox Live Functionality, and specific 360 OS calls.
No it's broader and deeper than that. The games aren't running natively on Xbox One, which itself is a virtual machine. They're tricking the software it's running on Xbox 360 when it's running on different hardware... Literally emulation. LOL

Now Xbox One games on the other hand run on XSX/XSS natively.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
No it's broader and deeper than that. The games aren't running natively on Xbox One, which itself is a virtual machine. They're tricking the software it's running on Xbox 360 when it's running on different hardware... Literally emulation. LOL

Now Xbox One games on the other hand run on XSX/XSS natively.
Yeah, I wasn't remembering correctly.

www.eurogamer.net

Xbox One backwards compatibility: how does it actually work?

One of the most memorable of E3 reveals also happens to be one of the greatest technological achievements of the curren…

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I wasn't remembering correctly.

www.eurogamer.net

Xbox One backwards compatibility: how does it actually work?

One of the most memorable of E3 reveals also happens to be one of the greatest technological achievements of the curren…
No problem. It's a common mistake. There's a reason anytime OG Xbox games were added to Xbox One BC, the emulation trickled down to Xbox 360's BC of OG Xbox games and either fixed previous emulation issues or added a new game to BC.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
So my Retrospection crashed and then disappeared from my console. And if I click my Pin for it, it takes me to the "Something went wrong" page on the MS store. If I click the original link to download it says "Installing View in Queue" but...it ain't.

Is this the end of a beautiful dream?

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
So my Retrospection crashed and then disappeared. And if I click my Pin for it it takes me to the "Something went wrong" page on the MS store.

If I click the original link to download it says "Installing View in Queue" but...it ain't.
Reboot the Xbox. As in, select the option to reboot when you hold the Xbox button.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
So...did I somehow just lose my app or is this more widespread? Retrospection (Retail) is just gone from my xbox. When I click on the Pin, it takes me to the Store page and says I need to reload. If I try to re-download from the original link, I get told it's Installing, only it isn't. If I look up My Files Explorer, the entire folder for Retrospection is gone too. I've tried a hard reboot (both restart from controller and hard reset from the console itself).
z9Kdbhql.jpg

EOyaFQdl.jpg

fi4uwWFl.jpg

NrDEDBul.jpg

Gs2o0ull.jpg

Reboot the Xbox. As in, select the option to reboot when you hold the Xbox button.
Tried that, no luck :(

UPDATE:
Apparently Retroarch retail nuking itself was a somewhat widespread bug. Here's how to fix it if you get it...

On Xbox go to Settings > Storage > Apps
You'll see a blank app - no icon, no name. If you uninstall that, you can click the original link and re-download Retroarch. I believe you'll have to re-update the Online Updater things and re-add your ROMS, but otherwise lookin' good for me to be up and runnin' again soon!

Last edited:

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
So...did I somehow just lose my app or is this more widespread? Retrospection (Retail) is just gone from my xbox. When I click on the Pin, it takes me to the Store page and says I need to reload. If I try to re-download from the original link, I get told it's Installing, only it isn't. If I look up My Files Explorer, the entire folder for Retrospection is gone too. I've tried a hard reboot (both restart from controller and hard reset from the console itself).
z9Kdbhql.jpg

EOyaFQdl.jpg

fi4uwWFl.jpg

NrDEDBul.jpg

Gs2o0ull.jpg

I can let you know on my end here in a few minutes. I saw your post and went to go copy mine to a spare external I have just in case. Retrospection was in the middle of updating. Stopped the update and I'm copying it now.

EDIT: Let the update finish and I can still run Retroarch just fine. Idk.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
z9Kdbhql.jpg

EOyaFQdl.jpg

fi4uwWFl.jpg

NrDEDBul.jpg

Gs2o0ull.jpg

No idea what you did. I can boot up Retail Retroarch with no problem.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I can let you know on my end here in a few minutes. I saw your post and went to go copy mine to a spare external I have just in case. Retrospection was in the middle of updating. Stopped the update and I'm copying it now.

EDIT: Let the update finish and I can still run Retroarch just fine. Idk.
So now I have an update for it queued that won't start and I can't remove/cancel. App is still working just fine at the moment. Hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.