• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
Got whitelisted! Super excited to try it out; I wonder if the One S can run PSP at acceptable speeds lol

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
So how does this work to avoid piracy? I know I would have to own the game I'm emulating, but do I need to rip it myself and do I need to own the console? I'd like to maybe try out some psp games but I don't own a psp and have no idea how I would rip the game

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
the retail version is free—worst case scenario is you lose the license to it. which it will promptly be maintained by someone else shortly after.
Oh, but there's been mention here about a $20 fee to people can install it on the console side to avoid the need to switch between dev and retail modes. I'd be up for paying for this now if it means I can actually install it in a few months. My worry is this loophold will be cleared by then and I wouldn't be able to install it on the retail side.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, but there's been mention here about a $20 fee to people can install it on the console side to avoid the need to switch between dev and retail modes. I'd be up for paying for this now if it means I can actually install it in a few months. My worry is this loophold will be cleared by then and I wouldn't be able to install it on the retail side.
The fee is to enable developer mode in the console.

The retail retroarch is completely free.

You got bad info or understood it wrong.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
The one time 20$ fee enables your MS account to dev features for Windows/Windows Phone/Xbox stuff. You can pay the 20$ now or whenever you decide to come to this—it'll still be there.

This 'loophole' is for the retail side of things. That one won't cost you any money or require dev mode access. You will need to buy an app to access the other mounted drives on the console, however.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
The fee is to enable developer mode in the console.

The retail retroarch is completely free.

You got bad info or understood it wrong.
Oh, alright - thanks.
The one time 20$ fee enables your MS account to dev features for Windows/Windows Phone/Xbox stuff. You can pay the 20$ now or whenever you decide to come to this—it'll still be there.

This 'loophole' is for the retail side of things. That one won't cost you any money or require dev mode access. You will need to buy an app to access the other mounted drives on the console, however.
Thanks. So this loophole which is currently allowing for whitelisting to install it on the retail side of things, this is the part that'll probbaly closed off/blocked by MS soon...or have I understood that incorrectyl too?

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Oh, alright - thanks.
Thanks. So this loophole which is currently allowing for whitelisting to install it on the retail side of things, this is the part that'll probbaly closed off/blocked by MS soon...or have I understood that incorrectyl too?
The loophole? Probably not. The currently made available retail Retroarch? You can count on that, but we'll see what happens.

W1ckedEvoX

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it say when I put the code in that I already own it? I tried restarting my console and it's still not there. It matter I'm not on my home Xbox?

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
So i was able to get PSP games to load with a thumb drive, but is the only way to get games on Retroarch with a Windows PC and sending them over that way?

Last edited:

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Okey so:

- Gamecube - Works, tested with Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion.
- N64 - Works, tested with Majora's Mask.
- PS1 - Works, tested with Medievil.

PSP and Wii doesn't work for me.

BlueMagic

Jan 10, 2018
Am I missing anything? I did everything but when I downloaded Retroarch from the store (retail mode), the interface does not look anything like the guide tells you it will look like (basically XMB).

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Well I give up officially. I've put the files in where as far as I can fid, they are supposed to go. But still doesn't run a ps2 game

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I want to kiss someone! This console just get more and more awesome each day that passes :)

Is MS planning to block the retail release because they don't like it or because someone else don't like it?
I don't get it, this is their best feature right now. Why remove it? Leave it and it'll be a system selling feature.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda going mainstream due to era and arstechnica

arstechnica.com

How one developer is sneaking emulators through a hole in the Xbox Store

1,500 Xbox users have downloaded the “retail” version of RetroArch, dev says.
Welp it looks like the retail Retroarch is going to get delisted soon and that dev account banned so ya'll better get it quick.

How one developer is sneaking emulators through a hole in the Xbox Store | Ars Technica

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Too late for it to not pick up publicity.

arstechnica.com

"Microsoft has yet to respond to a request for comment from Ars Technica."
www.resetera.com

The $299 XBOX Series S is an Emulation Beast | MVG Microsoft

Welp it looks like the retail Retroarch is going to get delisted soon and that dev account banned so ya'll better get it quick. How one developer is sneaking emulators through a hole in the Xbox Store | Ars Technica

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too late for it to not pick up publicity.

arstechnica.com

"Microsoft has yet to respond to a request for comment from Ars Technica."
Did you not read the thread? I posted that article hours ago in here and recon_zero_ literally just posted it again approximately 10 minutes ago in here, a couple posts above yours. LOL

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
There's a new code for Retroarch:
DW2JK-9JK9D-43P39-KGMD9-4RM4Z

And for PPSSPP:
JYFKT-F3FYH-RRRWQ-P69HY-7T9FZ

Wait, I redeemed those but they don't appear on the console 🤔

edit: thanks litebrite !

edit 2: just had a great stroke play in Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2 via PPSSPP on my One S! Ran as smooth as it did on my PC, with the same graphical glitches. Super impressive! Sega Rally Revo was also smooth sailing, but THUG2 Remix was a bit too much for the thing, even at native PSP res.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California

DarkCloud12X

Oct 27, 2017
Okey so:

- Gamecube - Works, tested with Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion.
- N64 - Works, tested with Majora's Mask.
- PS1 - Works, tested with Medievil.

PSP and Wii doesn't work for me.

If it's like the PC version of Retroarch (and it likely is) you'll need to make system folders for those two platforms to get them to work.

How to make Dolphin load in PC retroarch.

How to make PPSSPP load in retroarch.

Also if you have a hacked psp the fonts file you can extract from that is much prefered to the custom font that comes bundled with ppsspp. Some games have text write issues with the custom font (easily seen in the opening of Lunar)

Melpontro

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the retail one setup. Has anyone found a way of accessing an SMB share from the Xbox interface? Would be nice to just load everything off my NAS.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I apparently got whitelisted, but the github link just goes to a "Not Available" store page. Hopefully there is a workaround.

That said, I have Dev Mode so it's more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.