• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Keanu Reeves is a joke right? I mean he seems like a great guy and been in some good movies but not a top rate actor. Where's Florence Pugh or Adam Driver? These are names I think of as recently up and coming great actors.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Also Julianne Moore should seriously be higher. She is INSANELY good at acting. One of the best of all time.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
His Black Mirror episode always sticks with me too. Looking through his IMDB he just doesn't have that much beyond TV in the first half of the decade and he didn't get many movie roles until after Get Out.

I feel like to get onto a list like this you really have to have multiple big performances and a good selection of other known roles.

Every time I look over someone's IMDB, I realize how little of the overall media world I have actually seen though.
That's true, MBJ definitely has mire high profile roles and also American which naturally means more connections with people in Hollywood from the beginning, as oposed to Brit like Kaluuya.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I was literally thinking about Gael Garcia Bernal earlier today. Amores perros -> Y yu mama tambien has to be one of the best one-two punches in history, two of the best Mexican films of the generation and he's a lead actor in both of them, within a year of each other.

I haven't really seen much of his recent work, though. Should probably look into that. I've wanted to see Museo for a while now...

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Keanu and Melissa McCarthy over the likes of Amy Adams, Brad Pitt and Jake Gyllenhaal? Lol ok

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You're right. She might not have the most popular roles or huge blockbusters, but her resume and awards are legendary. Streep should have been a no-brainer.

She's been nominated for best actress 8 times for best actress this century (won once) and best supporting twice. Doesn't make any sense. She has been nominated for acting oscars literally half the years of this century so far.

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
No LaKeith Stanfield, no list. At least they remembered Mahershala Ali, but placed him horrendously low. Bad fuckin list.

Firefox

Oct 27, 2017
Notable Exclusions: Riz Ahmed, Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, Judi Dench, Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, and Steve Yuen.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
She's been nominated for best actress 8 times for best actress this century (won once) and best supporting twice. Doesn't make any sense. She has been nominated for acting oscars literally half the years of this century so far.
She's a good actress and I'd put her above some of the actors on this list but I feel like people overrate her sometimes because of all of her Oscar nominations. So many of her nominations are for movies that seem designed for awards season but then nobody cares about them once awards season is over. I'd be surprised if anyone here is actually passionate about Florence Foster Jenkins, The Iron Lady, Into the Woods...etc

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
4. Keanu Reeves
22. Melissa McCarthy

tenor.gif

THEY DID MY BOY JAKE DIRTY

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like Jamie Foxx is always overlooked. Why is he never included in any of these lists?

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
No Olivia Colman bugs me as well, although I don't know if they're exclusively looking at film roles only.

Toni Collette is another glaring omission (to me), as Brhoom points out.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
She's a good actress and I'd put her above some of the actors on this list but I feel like people overrate her sometimes because of all of her Oscar nominations. So many of her nominations are for movies that seem designed for awards season but then nobody cares about them once awards season is over. I'd be surprised if anyone here is actually passionate about Florence Foster Jenkins, The Iron Lady, Into the Woods...etc

Yeah but this is about acting quality not movie quality.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
Bridesmaids, The Heat, Spy, and Can You Ever Forgive Me? are all great turns so easy on Miss McCarthy in here!

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Tom Hanks? DiCaprio? Matt Damon? Brad Pitt? Bryan Cranston?

Yeah they're pretty mainstream but they've got fantastic range. Denzel's awesome though, I'll give you that.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I'm just glad we're past those weird few years where Melissa McCarthy was in everything, and people thought she was a comedic genius.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Keanu Reeves is a meme. I like the dude, but he's not a great actor.

Melissa McCarthy is also a very odd inclusion. I mean, Can You Ever Forgive Me? was fine, but she has to do a little more to show she really has the skills and the versatility to be considered one of the best.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Next Up: Top 10 Movies of Forever

1. There Will Be Blood
2. The Pest
3. No Country For Old Men
4. The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies
5. Battlefield: Earth
6. The Godfather: Part 2
7. Harold and Kumar: Christmas
8. Saving Private Ryan
9. Alien 3
10. Terminator: Genisys

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
DiCaprio is a bizarre omission. He is the last proper movie star and his most iconic roles save Titanic came out this century.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure if I agree with it, but the keanu reeves argument is actually fairly interesting - I admittedly don't really watch many action movies, but I'm not sure there's a modern "action star" that I'd rather see. and the point about "how long has it been since you were disappointed to see him cast in a movie" is... pretty true.

not sure where that ultimately deserves to get an actor on a list like this, but I think the case is better than I initially thought

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Weird list. A lot of these people's best work was arguably in the previous century. It makes sense to include late bloomers but a bit odd to have superstars of pre-2000 decades on there.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This list is horrendous. Among the worst I've seen. And I've seen a lot of terrrrrible lists.

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see Kang and Min-Hee on there. I would probably remove Keanu and replace him with Robert Pattinson. His work in Good Time, High Life and The Lighthouse is just too strong to ignore.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of casey affleck, michael shannon, cate blanchett is hella wack tbh

Pattinson, gosling and daniel kaluuya belong there over michael b jordan and keanu too