• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
If they have to change stuff again, can't they just completely redo all those badly aged cgi shots of aliens in Mos Eisly and maybe replace the Empror in ESB with a Version that resembles the ROTJ Look?
I mean, at this point, why not go all out. It's not like the 1997 cgi is worth preserving anyway.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That Lucas did the new scans means Disney has done nothing yet. There's money in the original edits and they'll mine that someday.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Sigh, it never ends.

Also, every time I think about Jedi I just can't get over that singing scene in Jabba's palace and the Vader nooooo. Just so freakin bad.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Most people who will watch this will likely not care or notice

Either ways y'all put too much faith in getting the originals back 😂

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
There are new scans of the movie that Disney did. I remeber when Rogue One came out they talked about a new 4k scan of Episode IV. But I wonder if that was the one Lucas made or Disney did.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I'm actually all for this change, it's hilarious. It just feels like Greedo is telling Han to fuck off in his language.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
There are new scans of the movie that Disney did. I remeber when Rogue One came out they talked about a new 4k scan of Episode IV. But I wonder if that was the one Lucas made or Disney did.
Lucas at the very least oversaw the ANH 4K scan. That's what Edwards said, and Pablo backed that up in the tweets linked above. I wonder if the same would be true for ESB and ROTJ though, since it sounds like the ANH scan was done in advance of a 3D re-release. Would the other have gotten that far before the 3D plans were dropped?

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Vader No in Jedi actually works.

What???

cFOnfs4.gif

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fox fanfare is back, that was the first thing I noticed

it's just crazy to me they clearly spent a good amount of time and money doing a brand new 4K transfer for all six movies and just kinda quietly shuffle that out into Disney plus

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
Lucas at the very least oversaw the ANH 4K scan. That's what Edwards said, and Pablo backed that up in the tweets linked above. I wonder if the same would be true for ESB and ROTJ though, since it sounds like the ANH scan was done in advance of a 3D re-release. Would the other have gotten that far before the 3D plans were dropped?
So then Disney would probably have dig real deep into the original negatives (if they exist) to put out a proper original non special edition version of the movie.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
One day, like 10 years later, the scene will be unrecognisable. The two characters will be standing by the bar, Han will be wandering in a circle around Greedo, stepping on his foot and prodding him in the chest. Greedo will bring out his blaster and Han will slice his arm off with a lightsaber. He'll disengage his Jedi weapon, take a sip of alien whiskey and walk out the bar.

The incident, including the inexplicable usage of a lightsaber, will not be brought up again throughout the rest of the saga.

Excerpt from an Era user in 2030:

Look, these edits aren't worth getting upset over, who cares if Han uses a lightsaber, what's the big deal?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This stuff isn't worth getting upset over.

It wasn't worth it in 1997, it wasn't worth it in the mid-2000s, and it ain't worth it now.
When I watched the despecialized version of ANH a few years ago, it was the first time since I was a kid that I'd seen the movie with Han shooting first and it was hilarious how almost imperceptible the difference was compared to Greedo shooting first.

So then Disney would probably have dig real deep into the original negatives (if they exist) to put out a proper original non special edition version of the movie.
Why would they not exist? If the movies were re-scanned for 4K, then the negatives must still be there and easily accessible no? Especially for ANH, given that Edwards took some Red Leader/Gold Leader shots from the film to drop into Rogue One.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
None of the changes really bother me that much.

Except the NOOO at the end of Jedi. It's just so much more effective without it. They probably could have even added it if it didn't sound so damn cheesy. It's just such a massive scene. What a dumb decision.

This. None of the changes bother me at all (though some of them like artoo behind rocks or increasing the size of jabba's palace door just make me go 'why'), bit ROTJ's "Nooooo" is downright bothersome

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
As stupid and hot as the takes can get on the internet, I've yet to see one actually attempt to defend the "nooo" at the end of Jedi

Edit: smh I take that back

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely enjoy the MACLUNKEY change. I have been giggling about it for an hour. So good.

Dec 22, 2017
This stuff isn't worth getting upset over.

It wasn't worth it in 1997, it wasn't worth it in the mid-2000s, and it ain't worth it now.

It 100% is. They have tried to erase from film history the academy award winning special effects that people worked hundreds of hours of crunch time on. It's absolutely unforgiveable, and if there is one thing Lucasfilm deserves to get shit for, it's this.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017

"New: Disney confirmed to The Verge just now this change "made by George Lucas made prior to the Disney acquisition."

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
When I watched the despecialized version of ANH a few years ago, it was the first time since I was a kid that I'd seen the movie with Han shooting first and it was hilarious how almost imperceptible the difference was compared to Greedo shooting first.

Why would they not exist? If the movies were re-scanned for 4K, then the negatives must still be there and easily accessible no? Especially for ANH, given that Edwards took some Red Leader/Gold Leader shots from the film to drop into Rogue One.
Depends. IDK how this stuff works but Lucas keeps tinkering with it I assume he just made his own Negative of the altered cut so he could keep going back and tinkering with it.