• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno about these being actual 4K, betting it's just upscaled.. There's almost no way they did the digital effects for the special editions in 4K back in 1997, and I'm positive that both Ep 1 and 2 were partially or (in the case of Ep 2) completely filmed digitally and 1080, so it's impossible that they're true 4K. I guess it's possible that they redid stuff, but it seems unlikely.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno about these being actual 4K, betting it's just upscaled.. There's almost no way they did the digital effects for the special editions in 4K back in 1997, and I'm positive that both Ep 1 and 2 were partially or (in the case of Ep 2) completely filmed digitally and 1080, so it's impossible that they're true 4K. I guess it's possible that they redid stuff, but it seems unlikely.
Episode I was shot on film. II and III were shot digitally, but I think only II is capped at 1080p, in which case yeah that movie will never truly be 4K.

I haven't seen the D+ transfers myself yet and I'm a terrible judge of this sort of thing anyway, but Lucas apparently did oversee a 4K scan of ANH a few years ago. Gareth Edwards said he watched it himself when he was doing Rogue One.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Episode I was shot on film. II and III were shot digitally, but I think only II is capped at 1080p, in which case yeah that movie will never truly be 4K.

I haven't seen the D+ transfers myself yet and I'm a terrible judge of this sort of thing anyway, but Lucas apparently did oversee a 4K scan of ANH a few years ago. Gareth Edwards said he watched it himself when he was doing Rogue One.
They both are sub 1080p.
They are 1440x1080p iirc

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
This is an absolute non-issue. I would have never even noticed there was anything different. People on the internet get so hot and bothered about these changes, and none of them are offensively bad, or barely even noticeable.

The only change that has ever bothered me was changing Obi-Wans scream in A New Hope to scare off the Raiders, but I was over that after the second viewing.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is an absolute non-issue. I would have never even noticed there was anything different. People on the internet get so hot and bothered about these changes, and none of them are offensively bad, or barely even noticeable.

The only change that has ever bothered me was changing Obi-Wans scream in A New Hope to scare off the Raiders, but I was over that after the second viewing.

The CG additions to the original trilogy are offensively bad. The musical sequence in Jedi is offensively bad. Yub-yub being removed is offensively bad.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017

Nah, these changes are dumb and unneeded. I'm not a big Star Wars fan but as someone who appreciates film, Id vastly prefer to see the film in its original form.

Oh, and CG Jabba is a crime against humanity.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
these just sound like the bluray versions. are we sure they're actual 4k and not just upscaled old transfers? Disney's still working on 4k UHD releases for next year apparently

I did a quick scan of Empire this morning and wasn't too impressed with what I saw. It looked very similar to the dated Blu-ray transfer IMO. Certainly not as nice as many of the more recent 4K restorations we've seen with films like The Shining and Apocalypse Now.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Oh, for fucks sake. The 4K master is barely worth it if we're still getting alterations to the original material. My VHS copies of the theatrical cuts are getting buried with me, dammit.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know why I never thought this would happen but it seems to be totally apparent when thinking about it in hindsight.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The CG additions to the original trilogy are offensively bad. The musical sequence in Jedi is offensively bad. Yub-yub being removed is offensively bad.
Totally disagree with that last part. First time I watched Star Wars, the Yub-nub song made me think of Sesame Street - it's almost the same tune! Took me totally out of the movie, and at the ending celebration which is supposed to be the culmination of the series no less. I really like the replacement ending song and sequence they made for the special edition.

Nov 30, 2018
A lot of 4K content that I didn't expect.

But why do they add so much and then you click and it's like "coming in 2022"?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This has to be the 4K master that Lucas oversaw a few years ago, nobody else in their right mind would throw another cheeseball change in there for no fucking reason.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Lucas when you thought you were finally safe from OT edits...

hEIIKaL.gif