• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the PDF of the list.

And here is the ranking of the projects:
  1. Frat Boy Genius by Elissa Karasik

A disgruntled employee of Snapchat tells the rise of her former Stanford classmate, preeminent douchebag and current boss Evan Spiegel.
  2. King Richard by Zach Baylin

The true story of Richard Williams, the hard-nosed and uncompromising father of tennis prodigies turned superstars, Venus and Serena Williams.
  3. Get Home Safe by Christy Hall

A young woman must get home by herself on Halloween with no cell phone battery and a group of gamergate trolls out to get her.
  4. Drudge by Cody Brotter

The story of how oddball internet reporter Matt Drudge broke the Lewinsky Scandal and nearly took down a presidency, all from a desktop computer in his one-bedroom apartment in Hollywood.
  5. Harry's All Night Hamburgers by Steve Desmond, Michael Anthony Sherman

A down-on-his-luck high school senior discovers that the old roadside diner outside of town is secretly a hangout for parallel universe travelers. He sets off on a mind-bending adventure across the multiverse that takes him beyond his wildest dreams.
  6. Promising Young Woman by Emerald Fennell
    Still hurting years later from the suicide of her mistreated best friend, a woman is torn between seeking vengeance on the lost friend's behalf and moving on with her life.
  7. Cobweb by Chris Thomas Devlin

Peter has always been told the voice he hears at night is only in his head, but when he suspects his parents have been lying, he conspires to free the girl within the walls of his house.
  8. The Worst Guy of All Time (And the Girl Who Came to Kill Him) by Michael Waldron

Barret is a social media influencer, the worst guy ever, and the eventual President of the United States. Dixie is a badass freedom fighter, sent back from 2076 to kill him before he takes over the world and ruins the future. They fucking hate each other. Then they accidentally fall in love.
  9. Analytica by Scott F. Conroy

The true story of Chris Wylie and Cambridge Analytica.
  10. The Broodmare by Michael Voyer

When a recovering member of Alcoholics Anonymous decides to make amends with his high school sweetheart, he soon realizes that her newfound love of equines may have some darker, more sinister connections.
  11. The Biscuit by Jack Waz

In 1998, a teacher and her veteran husband find a way to afford the family they've always dreamed of: by selling America's nuclear launch codes after President Bill Clinton loses them.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5 and 7 sound really interesting.
There's a lot more in the PDF, like these:
  • AMA (ASK ME ANYTHING)
    John Wikstrom
    A highly publicized AMA (Q&A) session between a fast-rising publicist and an aging music icon quickly turns
    into a deadly game of cat and mouse when the event is seized by a hacker who systematically beings revealing
    dark secrets from both of their pasts, forcing them to publicly confront the horrific events they've committed on
    the largest social media platform in the world.
  • HARE
    Jason Rostovsky
    What starts as a fun day for a group of friends in the woods turns into a living nightmare for one rabbit.
  • QUEEN & SLIM
    Lena Waithe
    The story of a black man and a black woman whose first date goes awry after they are pulled over by a police
    officer at a traffic stop. After killing the police officer in self-defense, they decide against turning themsevles in
    and go on the run.
  • SPARK
    Meredith Dawson
    When a young African-American woman takes a job at a well-known venture capitalist firm in Silicon Valley, she
    must figure out a way to succeed in an elitist society where she feels inherently excluded.
  • KILL THE LEOPARD
    Mattson Tomlin
    A henchman-turned-terrorist has a bone to pick with an idolized vigilante. When he takes control of a city
    skyscraper, the hero known as the Leopard comes to the rescue – but when both the terrorist and the Leopard
    are overtaken by the hostages, a kangaroo court evolves as the hostages navigate their complex histories with
    the vigilante.

Dessart

Oct 25, 2017
DARK
Nelson Greaves
When the crew of an oil rig begins to drill on one of the deepest stretches of the ocean floor, they awake a dark and dangerous creature that has been hidden away for hundreds of years.

This is just the Cloverfield monster origin story. While it's being produced by Platinum Dunes, it's attached to Paramount...🤔

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these sound like really bad erotica. And some of these sound awesome.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The Broodmare sounds like a horror movie where the villain is one of those girls in every high school that was PASSIONATELY into horses. Would be very in.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Get Home Safe by Christy Hall

A young woman must get home by herself on Halloween with no cell phone battery and a group of gamergate trolls out to get her.
  2. The Worst Guy of All Time (And the Girl Who Came to Kill Him) by Michael Waldron

Barret is a social media influencer, the worst guy ever, and the eventual President of the United States. Dixie is a badass freedom fighter, sent back from 2076 to kill him before he takes over the world and ruins the future. They fucking hate each other. Then they accidentally fall in love.

what da fuck

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in for parallel universes.

Not so much for the implications of number 10, the Broodmare.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there is a list that takes these lists from past years and shows what movies ended up actually getting made.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've actually read Just A Girl and believe me, that shit needs to find its way to a studio immediately. It's a gonzo schlocky masterpiece.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
by Michael Voyer

When a recovering member of Alcoholics Anonymous decides to make amends with his high school sweetheart, he soon realizes that her newfound love of equines may have some darker, more sinister connections.
Huh.
This is one of those cases where my imagination is filling in the blanks and I don't like it one bit.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
  1. The Biscuit by Jack Waz

In 1998, a teacher and her veteran husband find a way to afford the family they've always dreamed of: by selling America's nuclear launch codes after President Bill Clinton loses them.

Come on Bill, leave monica for a minute and pay attention to the codes

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
For some reason the idea of Gamergate trolls actually leaving their parents basements to harass a woman seems mildly unbelievable.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
#3 and #8 sound like winners to me!

#5 started great until the sci-fi stuff kicked in.

Get Home Safe by Christy Hall

WTF?
It's not really that farfetched from other internet based horror movies we already get like Unfriended and Smiley.

Garmonbozia

Oct 27, 2017
#3 could be interesting if they try to make it more a horror parable like Get Out instead of those bad "evil superhackers" horror movies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
For reference, there's previous years available to read too!

2017 Black List
2016 Black List
I was gonna see which movies actually ended up getting made and the first from 2016 is Life Itself that's sitting at a pretty 13% on RT.

I'd be interesting to see which all got made and how their movies turned out. Just scrolling real fast I noticed a handful that already came out and were well reviewed.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be really interested in hearing the reasoning why these well liked scripts didn't end up getting produced. Most of them sound absolutely atrocious to me, but there had to be something there if execs were interested in them.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
  1. Get Home Safe by Christy Hall

2. The Worst Guy of All Time (And the Girl Who Came to Kill Him) by Michael Waldron

what da fuck

Yeah these sound awful.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be really interested in hearing the reasoning why these well liked scripts didn't end up getting produced. Most of them sound absolutely atrocious to me, but there had to be something there if execs were interested in them.
The list tends to be full of crazy/entertaining scripts that read well but don't necessarily lend themselves to becoming good movies, or in some cases literally can't be made due to rights.

The list tends to be full of crazy/entertaining scripts that read well but don't necessarily lend themselves to becoming good movies, or in some cases literally can't be made due to rights.
That one from a few years back that was a Jim Henson biopic, but with the Muppets helping him out in musical numbers is such a good idea that it kills me that The Jim Henson Workshop and Disney are so protective of his life story that they bought the script just so it could die in a vault. No justice, I swear.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gamergate trolls out in public doing things IRL is completely unbelievable. No wonder it was turned down.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see why every single one of these scripts was blacklisted. The script descriptions sound solid, they just seem too real or too soon. I sense of the pattern of writers wanting to showcase the very real and scary parts of our world.

Oh and that Hamburger one sounds like a terrible C budget movie by the people who made that Infinite Playlist movie waiting to happen.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ones that I'd read:

Harry's All Night Hamburgers
Grace
Queen & Slim
Saddam & Me
Naked is the Best Disguise
Popular
Your Boy
Gunfight
Spark

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Couple things, this isn't a list of "best" unmade scripts... just most liked. Also, most scripts if put down to a 2 to 3 line description will sound a lot like these ones.

Harry's All Night Hamburgers sounds like it could be really fun. Let someone like Don Coscarelli or Nacho Vigalondo direct it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The Worst Guy of All Time (And the Girl Who Came to Kill Him) by Michael Waldron

Uh wow yikes that sounds horrible