• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Jesus, yeah. Cloaked Jackal snipers that can one shot you? And fire more frequently? And are more aware? No, just, no. How is this even possible?! For those that don't know that enemy along can kill you in one shot. It took my friend and I on an entire night until the sun rose to beat that second level on Legendary. It's no joke.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Not to say that this isn't still a hell of a thing, but the run makes liberal use of glitches and skips throughout, just PSA.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Not familiar with this streamer, but what's stopping him from running trainers or other third party mods off-screen tampering the game?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Not familiar with this streamer, but what's stopping him from running trainers or other third party mods off-screen tampering the game?
It's being played on an Xbox, there's not really a lot you can do offscreen. Plus it's streamed so we can just look at the game being played and observe how it behaves.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
He was also the first player to complete Halo 2 LASO deathless, so now that he's done it without the envy skull, it's fair to say he's the undisputed GOAT of Halo 2 players.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the whole MCC last year and I'm pretty sure I got fucking destroyed by some snipers in the first two missions, it wasn't even Legendary, for fucks sake.

Unreal.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I had even 1% of the patience and persistence this person has. Huge accomplishment!

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
Everyone have already answered that it means Legendary All Skulls On, taking into account that Lengendary Halo 2 without skulls is already hard as hell, here's the detail of which skulls (modifiers) should be on:

Halo 2:
  • Anger - Enemies fire their weapons faster and more frequently.
  • Assassins - All enemies in the game are permanently cloaked.
  • Black Eye - Your shields only recharge when you melee enemies.
  • Blind - HUD and weapon do not display onscreen.
  • Catch - Enemies throw and drop more grenades.
  • Ghost - AI do not flinch from any attacks.
  • Famine - Weapons dropped by AI have half the ammo they normally would.
  • Iron - Dying in co-op resets you at your last saved checkpoint. Dying solo restarts the level.
  • Mythic - Enemies have increased health.
  • That's Just…Wrong - Increases enemy awareness of player.
  • Thunderstorm - Upgrades the rank of most enemies.
  • Sputnik - Reduces the mass of objects, making them fly farther from impacts and explosions.
  • IWHBYD - Rare combat dialogue becomes more common.

So yeah this is pretty insane
damn.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It blows my mind seeing Halo 2 LASO.

It blows my mind even harder that anyone could even attempt it deathless.
Can someone give a quick rundown of why this particular Halo campaign is considered such an accomplishment, even across all gaming as seems to be indicated here? Is it just making it through nonstop BS?
Halo 2 is infamous for its legendary being unfair even without the absurd extra challenge of the skulls.

Some of the highlights include...
  • Jackal Snipers: These bastards will 1-shot you with a shot anywhere on the body. There are dozens of them to clear out in some missions.
  • Elite Ultras and higher ranked Elites in general: These have stupidly high amounts of shielding to shoot through. Plasma pistol is basically mandatory just because these fuckers will not die otherwise. They also have incredibly aggressive AI that will pursue the player behind cover, and at close-range have an attack that will kill you in one hit. Sometimes wield dual Plasma Rifles which melt your health.
  • Brutes: Not as scary as the higher Elites, but obscenely high health that you can't burst down with a charged Plasma Pistol. If they go berserk, they will rush the player and kill in a single hit with melee.
  • Cairo Station: The very first level has tons of battles where you're forced to fight waves of Elites. It is awful.
  • Regret: I regret this level ever existing. Tons of Jackal Snipers and the final section is a boss fight with tons of Elites.
  • Gravemind: One of the longest, hardest levels in Halo history. It starts with the player spawning in an open room with no cover, multiple tanky Brutes, and a single Needler (Bad weapon). Basically every single kind of horrible encounter will happen here. Jackal Snipers, Brutes, Elites, cramped corridors, waves of enemies, this level has everything.
It's really hard to emphasize just how mean Halo 2 legendary is.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Not to say that this isn't still a hell of a thing, but the run makes liberal use of glitches and skips throughout, just PSA.
Those are fair in general, and Halo is very much a franchise where glitching and skips are massive elements in the community, but more importantly, this change is quite possibly *literally impossible* without them.

How the hell do people figure out these shortcuts? Just crazy.
Halo CE and Halo 2 are right alongside OoT and SM64 in terms of being analyzed and broken down to a molecular level.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see they upped the reward. Like many said in the first thread, 5K was a joke for this.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone said it was impossible wtf
There was really only one major roadblock towards the end of the game that was stopping runs, a workaround was discovered this week making it just a matter of time for the completion.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Y4DEhGxsg

Wasn't implying they weren't, just that this isn't quite the run that some may be expecting. Still a fun watch though.

It's wildly unlikely that someone who understands the context of how difficult this is to begin with wouldn't automatically expect the use of glitches.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
really never thought i'd see the day. how much time until someone does the impossible without glitches?

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
really never thought i'd see the day. how much time until someone does the impossible without glitches?
There'd be no interest since the routing would be so different + the RNG from Prison. Same reason there aren't just straight up glitchless regular runs for the game. The idea of the "prestige" of glitchless vs using glitches only really exist for people who don't follow/run speedruns or where there's a more concrete reason why the difference would exist in gameplay like OOB skips.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely insane.

Also goddamn did this remind me what a total pile of piss that final battle is.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the setup that's different, this was only discovered recently. Watch the video.

i did watch the video...like i said the issue is getting it consistent which he was able to do. getting the brute to go into the lift was RNG basically.

mint blitz says multiple times in the video that people didn't think it was possible on LASO, when it's been done on LASO runs for years.

Last edited:

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
As expected. People calling this impossible in the older thread just don't get it. These challenges get done without exception.

Well played, well played.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
i did watch the video...like i said the issue is getting it consistent which he was able to do.
Ah so you misread when I said "workaround" thinking I was talking about the Prison skip itself and not the setup people just found. Did you need an explanation for why the original prison skip wasn't feasible versus the method he's using now? :p