• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone saying "sando" in english is an omega weeb nerd.

In Japan "katsu" is just a breaded fried cutlet. It's not always (or usually) served in a sandwich though hence the specification of it being a sandwich.
But why? You say ebi-furai and kaki-furai, why not gyuuniku-furai or whatever? It just seems weird to say 'katsu' while speaking English, but you can't really say cutlet now either. It's messed up.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
But why? You say ebi-furai and kaki-furai, why not gyuuniku-furai or whatever? It just seems weird to say 'katsu' while speaking English, but you can't really say cutlet now either. It's messed up.
Well katsu is a pretty specific item usually whereas sando is literally just sandwich so there's no point in saying that if speaking in english I guess lol.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm french. I know my bread.
There is no bread good enough for wagyu meat
I find the best breads to excel on their own or with simple / not so simply spreads and stuff. There's something to the simple americanized idea of using the most basic breads possible for sandwiches where the meat (or whatever) is the focus.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I find the best breads to excel on their own or with simple / not so simply spreads and stuff. There's something to the simple americanized idea of using the most basic breads possible for sandwiches where the meat (or whatever) is the focus.

I would take a baggeautte over standard bread myself for a sandwich.

I went from admire to annoy at the Japanese for their marketing skills

Pretty sure it's an American resteraunt owner just importing the beef. Nothing to do with Japan here.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Reviews are starting to come in. There's a 1-star review that's definitely worth a read. And it seems if you eat in you don't get the box! Egads.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/don-wagyu-new-york
Yikes.

$25 sandwich:

o.jpg

$85:

o.jpg

$185:

o.jpg

Right? It's a bit worrisome. If you're spending a stupid amount of money on something (especially something like this), it had better be good 99% of the time. Time will tell if it's actually worth splurging on. And it's a silly thing, I know, but the box is part of what sells it. Just on a cafeteria-like tray it isn't half as appealing. I'd want a souvenir, dammit!

They're serving A5 wagyu imported from Miyazaki... with tonkatsu sauce? Fucking really?

I don't think they're actually putting tonkatsu sauce on it. They're just breading/frying the meat.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Right? It's a bit worrisome. If you're spending a stupid amount of money on something (especially something like this), it had better be good 99% of the time. Time will tell if it's actually worth splurging on. And it's a silly thing, I know, but the box is part of what sells it. Just on a cafeteria-like tray it isn't half as appealing. I'd want a souvenir, dammit!
It just looks incredibly sloppy. The steak in the bottom right of the $85 sandwich is grey and sad. The bread on the $185 sandwich is mushed and discolored. The blood-soaked bread on the $25 sandwich just doesn't look appetizing, and I say that as someone who likes his steaks pretty bloody.

I know it's high quality meat and I'm sure it tastes great, but none of it looks impressive. If I'm paying an exorbitant amount of money for a meal, I expect it to look nice. That's part of the appeal of going to an upscale restaurant. It's not just the quality of the food, it's the amount of care and visual flourishes applied to it. I can do a beautiful sous vide steak at home, and I'm just a stoner with a multicooker and a propane torch. If you're asking for $185, I want the effort to match up with that price.

Oct 30, 2017
Well I want to try Wagyu Beef at least once...

But it won't be from there!

Toying with some Alaskan King Crab legs later this year and that'll set me back £78

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Do English speakers say 'sando' now? 'wagyu katsu sando' sounds so stupid. But maybe its Japan's fault for bastardizing those words in the first place. Like, what's a cutlet sandwich!?

It's just a way of instantly identifying which particular style of sandwich you are talking about don't so get too hung up on it.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New burger place opened up recently near me. It's one of those craft your own burger joints and the burgers are only 3 oz. One of the protein options is wagyu. Doubt it's the real deal but I will try out anyway next time I visit. Upgrading to wagyu will only cost $0.79.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
When I went to Tokyo about 4 years ago there was a place called Wagyumafia that served their beef exactly the same. Similar price but it was incredible, I have never eaten beef with such soft and gentle almost fluffy texture.

Found it - Wagyumafia site

And of course the sandwhich in question (not my photo). As you can see they add pickles and truffle salt instead of fries/chips.

p14-swinnerton-small-a-20170917-870x607.jpg

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Wagyu beef is similar to kobe but cheaper, i think?

The restaurante where my sister works sells some of such beef too (im vegetarian and couldnt bother remembering the name). Her description was same though and it sounded similar too iirc, they ask for 50 Euro for 100g.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Having worked in 2 different steak houses for 10 plus years in Vegas, A5 is way overrated. Give me a good dry age ribeye any day of the week. Shit waygu skirt steak and rib cap is much better imo.

Though the best steak I have ever tasted was an A5 hanger steak which blows my mind because hanger steak is a cheaper cut compared to the rest.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Someone will have to tell me why the difference in price ($25~$185), cuz I'm not seeing it.

It's the marbling on the streak.

Wagyu beef is similar to kobe but cheaper, i think?

The restaurante where my sister works sells some of such beef too (im vegetarian and couldnt bother remembering the name). Her description was same though and it sounded similar too iirc, they ask for 50 Euro for 100g.

All Kobe is wagyu. Not all wagyu is Kobe.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Marbled wagyu tastes amazing, but so will every finely marbled beef. Not worth the 185$.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Well I want to try Wagyu Beef at least once...

But it won't be from there!

Toying with some Alaskan King Crab legs later this year and that'll set me back £78

Gah, has king crab gotten that expensive now? If so, waaaah... I don't think I can ever afford to treat myself to it now.

Hell, it's total chance but while I like King Crab, if I'm lucky I find that snow crab is better (unfortunately since it's not worth as much they don't treat it as well and you can also get oversalted ones. But a good snow crab leg is sweeter than King Crab I've had).

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I went to Tokyo about 4 years ago there was a place called Wagyumafia that served their beef exactly the same. Similar price but it was incredible, I have never eaten beef with such soft and gentle almost fluffy texture.

Found it - Wagyumafia site

And of course the sandwhich in question (not my photo). As you can see they add pickles and truffle salt instead of fries/chips.

p14-swinnerton-small-a-20170917-870x607.jpg
This actually looks amazing.