• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I used to go to Japan for work for like months of the year and I traveled a whole lot of it, my taste might be different than yours, but it's not based on ignorance.

Yes, I know you mentioned eating beef in Japan but A5 grade beef is still something special there too and not found in all menus. I don't know whether you have or not.

You originally stated that one could make a $20 sandwich which would be indistinguishable in taste to this one to most people and that is what I fundamentally disagree with.
The texture and taste is vastly different. They could never be the same.

Now for which sandwich someone prefers, yes, that's simply a matter of taste.
To me this A5 sandwich would be too much. I'd eat a quarter of it at most.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Have you had this on a plate next to another extremely fine cut of steak? There's a restaurant here that does it and I had

Irish black angus
New Zealand Hereford
Angus de Argentina
Wagyu beef (grade 7+)

All of them are amazing, but wagyu is absolutely and wildly different than the rest. You could do some kind of Pepsi challenge with the rest, but I think almost anyone would identify the wagyu in that contest. It's ridiculously soft, like you can cut it with your tongue

Have to agree. I have had the great privilege to have eaten great steak all over the world including the US, South America, Australasia, and the UK, and real Japanese Waygu is head and shoulders above everything else in terms of flavour and mouth feel. After the first time I had it, I actually wondered whether I could go back to "normal" meat, and I go to Alexanders in SF once a year to remind myself of what "peak steak" tastes like.

Not sure I'd waste it in a sandwich though.

Other steak can, on occasion, come close if you luck out on the marbling with the right cut and have it prepared right. That happens once in a blue moon though.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I'm confused. "Wagyu" is everywhere here in Australia. Even fast food chains have jumped on that bandwagon.
Why can they sell it for $10?

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Saw a video about this sandwich a few weeks ago, it was in Japan though.

Would absolutely spend $200 to try it. Looks fucking amazing.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I know you mentioned eating beef in Japan but A5 grade beef is still something special there too and not found in all menus. I don't know whether you have or not.

You originally stated that one could make a $20 sandwich which would be indistinguishable in taste to this one to most people and that is what I fundamentally disagree with.
The texture and taste is vastly different. They could never be the same.

Now for which sandwich someone prefers, yes, that's simply a matter of taste.
To me this A5 sandwich would be too much. I'd eat a quarter of it at most.
Okay so first of all, the A part shouldn't matter here at all, this is a small cut and the yield has no really bearing on how it tastes, as for the marbling, well, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm really not sure I could really tell the difference between a cat 5 marbling cut and a cat 3 when served in a fried bread sandwich.

And really, there's nothing magical about that grading system, in fact, it's a pretty close mirror to the USDA one, have you ever tried a steak from a cold weather cow breed with a high marbling score?

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
What a punchable fucking face.

tumblr_m9yoo1VZi41r49x55o2_500.gif

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
damn that looks so good. dunno why people are annoyed with it being served on shokupan. nothing wrong with white bread, especially asian white bread, like shokupan, which is made with quality ingredients and treated with a lot more respect and is undoubtedly higher quality than the grocery aisle WonderBread many of us grew up eating. Its rather plain characteristics makes it a nice vehicle for the fatty beef, and i'd rather have the wagyu be served in between slices of shokupan than a naturally leavened country loaf.

HierArch

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The best burger I've ever had was a wagyu burger. True story. This beef is doing the Lord's work. Sleep if you want.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
My dining-out budget usually exceeds $200 per month. I could probably tighten the purse strings for a month and splurge on this dish. After I could to myself say "welp, you did it you cunt. you paid $200 for a white bread sandwich", and go back to my 4 piece dark meal at El Pollo Loco and be perfectly content.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'm confused. "Wagyu" is everywhere here in Australia. Even fast food chains have jumped on that bandwagon.
Why can they sell it for $10?
Wagyu as a general marketing term is completely useless without knowing the source, breed, and grading. Cheap places selling wagyu don't even source it from Japan. More likely mixed breed cattle from Australia. If it's got some Japanese blood in it, it's wagyu. Standards be damned!

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I've had a $70 steak that was damn amazing, but after watching this worth it vid, I've added Wagyu steak to my bucket list:

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Wagyu as a general marketing term is completely useless without knowing the source, breed, and grading. Cheap places selling wagyu don't even source it from Japan. More likely mixed breed cattle from Australia. If it's got some Japanese blood in it, it's wagyu. Standards be damned!
Interesting, thanks!

I'd love to try some actual quality wagyu one day then!

laminated

Oct 28, 2017

i once ordered an "American Kobe Burger" from my neighborhood sports bar and no doubt it was legit.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Interesting, thanks!

I'd love to try some actual quality wagyu one day then!
If you're really interested in good Japanese beef, look for restaurants which list where the beef comes from, or just take a trip to Japan and look for a good place to have steak. Just google around for recommendations depending on where you are going. Hakushu at Shibuya was highly recommended to me, but unfortunately I couldn't get a reservation at the last moment on my recent trip to Tokyo. Definitely wanna go the next time.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
I've only eaten well done steak my entire life, and looking at those photos....I don't see it changing anytime soon.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I've only eaten well done steak my entire life, and looking at those photos....I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Why even eat steak if you're getting it well done? Much better proteins that maintains it's flavour when fully cooked then a steak. All the flavour is stripped away with a well done steak.

And if for some reason you love flavour of well done steak, then just buy the cheapest cut as it doesn't matter with well done as you won't be able to tell difference of cut.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Bad sandwiches, bad sandwiches
Wagyu gonna do, Wagyu gonna do when they suck to you

P.S. Bread is too thick in comparison to the beef

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Only somewhat related, but I'll be in Japan at the end of the year and want to grab some authentic Kobe/Wagyu, anyone have any recommendations?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's was at a spot called Roy's Restaurant. You can find them in maybe four different states. I go to the one in Tampa, Florida.
Will keep it in mind.

I had Wagyumafia in Japan. It was so good. Honestly would pay for it again even though it's super expensive. It just melts in your mouth.
DT43tlWUMAYbRR8.jpg

From the restaurant or the sandwich shop in nakameguro (I think the resaurant has sandwiches too). A friend went and had the zabuton and said it was good but 円円円. Which one did you have?
dWrdTQ5.jpg