• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
There is just a giant screen saying turn if above height and people still go through the light lol. I have no clue how that's possible.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was the same truck and driver... he thought if he pretended to not want to cross at first the 2nd time he would be "allowed" through cuz the bridge is alive

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that last one has to be someone with a GPS insisting that they turn around and take that route instead of going all the way to the downtown loop. Next time I'm driving there, I'll turn on navigation and see what happens

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there are any crashes at the 11'4" bridge in a different part of town. I drive under it all the time and I've never seen anything.

Yeah, that last one has to be someone with a GPS insisting that they turn around and take that route instead of going all the way to the downtown loop. Next time I'm driving there, I'll turn on navigation and see what happens

You live in Durham, too? There's dozens of us!

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Most GPS apps don't take bridge height into account which combined with ignorant drivers is what causes a lot of these types of crashes. I know since I drive large box trucks for my job all the time and I have to plan my course out ahead of time to avoid low bridges.

OutOfcontrol

Oct 29, 2017
There is a bridge in Melbourne, Montague Street, that is only 3.0m (9 foot or so), it has quite the history.

How many times has the Montague Street Bridge been hit?

Was the driver sleeping? How the fuck could you not noticed your bus wouldn't fit?

XxZCbhC.jpg

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That was #12 of 2018 but 13 in less than a year since there was one on 12/31/2017.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I love how the people walking by are unphased by it. Those drivers really need to get the height of the vehicle before driving it so they can avoid this very issue.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If I was a rental place I'd only tell the people that pay for the insurance not to take that road. Don't pay for the insurance? I'm keeping my mouth shut and enjoying overcharging them for the repairs.

Oct 25, 2017
There's an 11-4 bridge in Durham as well, that has similar signs all around it. It's in a really busy part of the city though, so maybe trucks are more familiar with it? Would think that height would cause even more hilarity but maybe it's too short to trick drivers into thinking they can make it.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched many of these videos a few years ago, if this is still going on how many times did they have to repair that bridge, I mean it can't be that tough if you keep crashing on it over and over again even with those safety guards some damage and weakness must show up sooner or later.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I've watched many of these videos a few years ago, if this is still going on how many times did they have to repair that bridge, I mean it can't be that tough if you keep crashing on it over and over again even with those safety guards some damage and weakness must show up sooner or later.
the cars aren't reaching the bridge. the can-opener effect is being done on a metal guard rail erected just before the actual bridge-edge. i'm sure that needs maintenance every so often though

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OVERHEIGHT
MUST TURN

is not stupid-proof. Almost reads like a general warning and not about the specific trucks that trigger it. Might be better if it flashed OVERHEIGHT and then flashed TURN NOW or DO NOT GO STRAIGHT

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
the cars aren't reaching the bridge. the can-opener effect is being done on a metal guard rail erected just before the actual bridge-edge. i'm sure that needs maintenance every so often though

looking at those other bridges posted it seems that metal guard does the trick at all those underpasses.

Now I am kinda curious how that website on the OP managed getting 2 cameras on both sides of the road, I never went to his website just found his channel on youtube will watching some Russian traffic crash videos and it went to that bridge next.

That bridge has gotten this guy some good views

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
How would you guys solve this?

I think, I would close to road dig the street 4 more feet down under the bridge but I guess this would cost the city too much money to do? I mean you would have to dig at least 2 blocks so the slope would be smooth and not a sudden dip down.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017

I think, I would close to road dig the street 4 more feet down under the bridge but I guess this would cost the city too much money to do? I mean you would have to dig at least 2 blocks so the slope would be smooth and not a sudden dip down.
Yeah, apparently there are water and gas lines that you would have to do something with.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

it's not as simple as that.

There are underground utility lines to consider. Not to mention drainage now needs to play into effect on a bigger scale if you are introducing the risk of water pooling under the bridge. During heavy rain you are likely guaranteeing a flood. And as you said, they would need to slope that accordingly to take into account any roadway standards of the city and state, and depending on that it could reach nearby intersections of reconstruction which means a full blown redesigning of a block in the middle of busy streets.

Your other option is to demolish the bridge overhead, but having JUST done that in a city in the middle of Downtown, this option also sucks because it requires SO much planning that a fulltime project needs to be on top of it vs just the city officials hiring a third party group to do whatever. Now you have to also design foundations, slopes on the bridge, etc....

The cheapest option is likely to put more means of warning oncoming traffic about the clearance of the bridge. Don't know if there's a scanner/camera of some sort that can quickly identify the height of a video, but if there is maybe add something like that to flash to turn left/right to avoid damage cause they are too tall.

At the end of the day, I would not be surprised if option 2 ends up happening. The amount of damage and hits that bridge has gotten will eventually catch up and they will not have an option due to the safety of regular traffic because of the structural integrity.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

There are underground utility lines to consider. Not to mention drainage now needs to play into effect on a bigger scale if you are introducing the risk of water pooling under the bridge. During heavy rain you are likely guaranteeing a flood. And as you said, they would need to slope that accordingly to take into account any roadway standards of the city and state, and depending on that it could reach nearby intersections of reconstruction which means a full blown redesigning of a block in the middle of busy streets.

Your other option is to demolish the bridge overhead, but having JUST done that in a city in the middle of Downtown, this option also sucks because it requires SO much planning that a fulltime project needs to be on top of it vs just the city officials hiring a third party group to do whatever. Now you have to also design foundations, slopes on the bridge, etc....

The cheapest option is likely to put more means of warning oncoming traffic about the clearance of the bridge. Don't know if there's a scanner/camera of some sort that can quickly identify the height of a video, but if there is maybe add something like that to flash to turn left/right to avoid damage cause they are too tall.

At the end of the day, I would not be surprised if option 2 ends up happening. The amount of damage and hits that bridge has gotten will eventually catch up and they will not have an option due to the safety of regular traffic because of the structural integrity.
According to the site, Tthere's a train track on the bridge so they can't just make that part taller and there's a sensor that detects trucks half a block away and turns the light red+lights up the signs.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
According to the site, Tthere's a train track on the bridge so they can't just make that part taller and there's a sensor that detects trucks half a block away and turns the light red+lights up the signs.
yeah if it's a train track bridge that removes that option then, unless they plan on somehow redirecting the train and redesigning that which is also very costly.

If warning is their only solution at the moment, then the sensor they have half a block away they might have to add flashing message board signs and other means to catch the attention of even the MOST distracted driver day or night throughout more upcoming blocks and at small intervals as you approach the bridge.

I don't know if the city can have the police department set up a traffic officer there during busier seasons/hours.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, apparently there are water and gas lines that you would have to do something with.

oh damn not so simple forgot that we might have things under most city roads.

I think I would put a huge billboard a block on each direction with a Photo of a wrecked truck under that bridge it seems none of the drivers understand what 11-8 means. Even a visual sign with a wrecked truck under a bridge would be clearer

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
When I rented a uhaul recently, earnings about the height were everywhere in the cabin. Tough to miss.

Yeah I have been in a few and they have the height of the vehicle clearly displayed. Thinking about it I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the same people who ignore red lights and flashing warning signs also ignore the stuff in the vehicle's cabin.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017

this video shows a different bridge that is not only bad for trucks but plenty of cars seem to hit the sidewalk and lose control under that bridge

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
yeah if it's a train track bridge that removes that option then, unless they plan on somehow redirecting the train and redesigning that which is also very costly.

If warning is their only solution at the moment, then the sensor they have half a block away they might have to add flashing message board signs and other means to catch the attention of even the MOST distracted driver day or night throughout more upcoming blocks and at small intervals as you approach the bridge.

I don't know if the city can have the police department set up a traffic officer there during busier seasons/hours.
These people aren't just hitting the bridge, they're running a red light to hit the bridge because the sensor changes the light way before the truck gets to the intersection and turns on that overheight sign. Like I said earlier, 12 crashes in 2018. The town isn't going to go much further than they have for a crash a month that's not really costing them any money.

Nov 14, 2017

I don't think the bridge is taking any damage; it looks like they've put a steel structure in front of the bridge to take impacts from traffic, and that's what is getting hit. Otherwise the bridge would probably have to be rebuilt on an annual basis.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only tragedy here is the imperial system here. I'd hit that bridge because I wouldn't know what the helll 11 foot 8 means, lol.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you're trying to fix 11'8", my recommendation would be to make the opening visibly shorter, so much that a car could get through, but a box truck would be insane to even try. It would cut down on the number of vehicles that could squeak through, which I'm sure will annoy some, but just putting a steel beam across painted yellow with black text "YOUR TRUCK WON'T FIT" would be a comparatively cheap solution.

Are truck drivers REALLY that stupid that they can't realize that, hey, their delivery truck can't fit under this bridge?

It's a lot of rentral trucks, people not used to having to worry about clearance. RVs losing AC units, too.

Although there are still plenty of professional truck drivers.

Last edited: