• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the very end you can tell the truck driver is just sitting in the drivers seat realizing he fucked up twice.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

this video shows a different bridge that is not only bad for trucks but plenty of cars seem to hit the sidewalk and lose control under that bridge

No seriously they need to do something about that curb that turns in. That is too dangerous to rely on a driver's to be responsible to notice that. Can not only cause the driver serious injury, but also innocent victims on the opposite route. Like the video shows.

I know the same could be said about these trucks... but man the way the road turns in. O_o

Edit- should just line to straighten out earlier... or have some bright rubber objects that are visible leading into it.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
ya, most of these trucks are only single axle and I'm sure you only need a standard licence to drive them unlike a dumptruck or tractor trailer which requires separate licencing/training/hours.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no engineer but I'm sure there is some solution. Couldn't the rail tracks curve a bit upwards to make room for a higher bridge? Or just dig a hole underneath and make the road lower.

Every page this gets asked lmao.

http://11foot8.com/faq/

Can't the road be lowered?

That would be prohibitively expensive because a sewer main runs just a few feet below the road bed. That sewer main also dates back about a hundred years and, again, at the time there were no real standards for minimum clearance for railroad underpasses.

Can't the bridge be raised?

Here, too, the question is who would want to pay the millions of dollars to raise the tracks a couple of feet? To accomplish this, the grade of the tracks would have to changed on both sides of the trestle, probably for several miles. That would require rebuilding all trestles in Durham. And NS would have to shut down this busy track for months. I don't think they are interested in that idea.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
I'm no engineer but I'm sure there is some solution. Couldn't the rail tracks curve a bit upwards to make room for a higher bridge? Or just dig a hole underneath and make the road lower.

Or just have a bunch of flashing signs that say LOW BRIDGE so observant drivers will see it. Oh wait. They already do. Fuck em. I hope they get the cleanup bill too

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Who do you call when something like this happens, fire department? City engineers?

Or do you call your insurance and they figure all this out?

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The excuse given for not raising the bridge is poor. Local governments are asked and over spend on projects all the time. Making sure someone isnt injured/die in a car crash is certainly worthwhile.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The excuse given for not raising the bridge is poor. Local governments are asked and over spend on projects all the time. Making sure someone isnt injured/die in a car crash is certainly worthwhile.
This. The city should pay to change the tracks and make the bridge a little bit higher. One day there might be a fatal accident or worse, a crash so bad it could put the integrity of the bridge itself and the trains that go above it in peril.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. The city should pay to change the tracks and make the bridge a little bit higher. One day there might be a fatal accident or worse, a crash so bad it could put the integrity of the bridge itself and the trains that go above it in peril.
Yeah, the Federal government helps pay for infrastructure projects too. It doesnt have to be all on the city.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What they actually need to do is lower it. Put up a barrier that makes it like 9 feet so trucks can't think they can get through it. These are hilarious though.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What they actually need to do is lower it. Put up a barrier that makes it like 9 feet so trucks can't think they can get through it. These are hilarious though.
I agree with this, lower it to like 9' so no one with a large truck even tries to get through. I'm sure some idiot would still ignore the signs or someone would be half-asleep and ram through it, and I'm not sure if a 9' height would be fatal to someone in a semi so maybe it's not such a good idea...

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I reckon having the sign and lights there makes it worse. The light goes amber then red to try and stop dickhead truck drivers, but obviously it just eggs them on to try and beat the lights.

Not that I mind though, it's a great watch.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Why didn't the light turn red on that one? The overheight sign was blinking but the light was clearly green.

It had already turned red. And he was looking directly at the over height flashing text the whole time it was red...but still went straight after it turned green. You can see it more evidently in the 2nd POV.

Oct 25, 2017
It had already turned red. And he was looking directly at the over height flashing text the whole time it was red...but still went straight after it turned green. You can see it more evidently in the 2nd POV.
I guess the video is slowed down, but I was already watching the second point-of-view. It takes about 6 seconds AFTER it turns back green for the truck to drive through -- maybe 3 seconds in real life?

I completely agree with all the comments about armchair engineers normally in regard to lowering or raising things, but I don't understand why the light would turn back green so quickly while the overheight sensor is still active. If it were locked red permanently until the sensor clears I don't see a downside, even though people would still probably crash.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
I guess the video is slowed down, but I was already watching the second point-of-view. It takes about 6 seconds AFTER it turns back green for the truck to drive through -- maybe 3 seconds in real life?

I completely agree with all the comments about armchair engineers normally in regard to lowering or raising things, but I don't understand why the light would turn back green so quickly while the overheight sensor is still active. If it were locked red permanently until the sensor clears I don't see a downside, even though people would still probably crash.

That would require the over height vehicle to turn off that road which would be impossible if it were behind another vehicle.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why not hang something from the bridge so it's more obvious it isn't passable?

Is it google maps doing this or what?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Why not hang something from the bridge so it's more obvious it isn't passable?

Is it google maps doing this or what?
According to the FAQ, there's already sufficient signage everywhere. (But...clearly it's not entirely effective, though, so I'm not sure I understand the unwillingness to embrace some pragmatism.)

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'd be interested in seeing a compilation of trucks that actually do pay attention a day.

Magneton

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. This bridge is one of America's national treasures. Modifying it to be safer would be tantamount to killing a bald eagle or taking a dump on an apple pie.