• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about that finale...

hm

I strongly dislike "and they all went to heaven and lived happily ever after!" type endings. They always ring false to me and seem like cop outs. Couple that with the weird "their consciousnesses joined together and their bodies became light statues" and I'm just like...isn't this basically the show saying "the City of Light was good actually"? Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought we decided that having everyone join a hive mind was bad all the way back in S3?

An advanced race of all powerful judge-aliens being introduced in the last part of the final season, when the show had been pretty metaphysics free up to that point, felt at odds with what the show was for the first 6 years. Even the stuff with the time travel and whatnot felt like it was from a completely different show (I initially liked that, but I think the writers ultimately failed to make it feel of a piece with the previously established mythology of the show).

So Bellamy was right after all! Okay, that makes his turn a little more believable. Still complete nonsense to do him like that though.

Indra finally killed Sheidheda at least.

Not letting Clarke transcend was funny and fitting, but then having ALL of her remaining friends come back to spend the rest of their days with her felt corny and out of character for the show. Like, Murphy would rather spend a few days in the mind drive and die with Emori than live the rest of his life without her, and yet he decides to leave her consciousness in the transcended realm anyway so he can be with Clarke and friends on Sanctum? What? Like, if it was just Octavia that came back, then I could maybe buy it, but everyone (sans Maddie)?

~

The ending to S5 was perfect and now that I know the ending to S7, I would have much preferred if the show had ended there. These past two seasons had some cool moments but ultimately felt like an exercise in trying to ring every last drop out of a show that was successful instead of just letting it end when the story came to its natural conclusion.

Also, between the rushed and incongruent final season, the unearned ending, the Bellamy fiasco, "Trigedasleng was invented by a child", Trikru existing before the apocalypse, and just the overall concept of creating a prequel to fill in blanks that don't need filled in, I'm actively hoping the spin off doesn't get picked up.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
So Bellamy was right after all! Okay, that makes his turn a little more believable. Still complete nonsense to do him like that though.

I just didn't like how Bellamy didn't really believe the concept of transcendence, but rather he believed in Cadogan. I feel like he should have seen that Cadogan made this about himself and kind of soiled the goal.

I also just still have trouble believing Clarke would shoot Bellamy over that and the writers thinking "well, she'll do this to stop him from hurting Maddi, but Maddi gets hurt anyway. BRILLIANT!"

I do think with what we got, there was a better ending in season 5 that was more hopeful. Maybe that would have been the time to take the break and then potentially develop a sequel series set in this new era either right after or years and years later depending on actor availability of the original cast.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I strongly dislike "and they all went to heaven and lived happily ever after!" type endings. They always ring false to me and seem like cop outs. Couple that with the weird "their consciousnesses joined together and their bodies became light statues" and I'm just like...isn't this basically the show saying "the City of Light was good actually"? Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought we decided that having everyone join a hive mind was bad all the way back in S3?
🎯

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I see it as more of a bittersweet ending.

Clarke's friends all came back for her is pretty consistent. It felt like when everyone came back for Raven when Prime Fire hit.

Sep 14, 2018
This didn't seem like a hive mind in the usual kind of way, if they decided to come back then surely they have enough free will and individuality to not be considered a hive mind?

I remember reading somewhere that they were filming the finale when covid start shutting things down so maybe they couldn't get Emori's actress back for that scene? Cause she was definitely shown transcending with Murphy. I'm not sure but I think there was a standin in the last scene that's supposed to be her.

Hm so what was up with the last shot of Clarke doing something? Is it some callback to the first episode? I didn't get it.

asfas.png

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I thought she was sowing (or maybe drawing like she did in on the floor of her cell?) something but I didn't care enough to go back and watch that scene again.

If I ever rewatch the series I'll stop where it should've ended.

BQDoHPm.jpg

Mar 9, 2018
It makes more sense when you rewatch:

I think it was like, "oh she kind of got what she dreamed for". "I see trees all around me".

OR that she made up all of it, which helps make the weird plot in the season make more "sense".

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
RatskyWatsky

Re: Transcendence Vs. The City of Light

The City of Light is essentially a "false" transcendence. It is not earned, and is really symbolic of mankind itself always trying to find shortcuts and use technology they don't understand. You "transcend" but you forget what makes you who you are.

Transcendence is the real deal. You and your species had to *earn* it through lifetimes of hardship and war to understand that pain only begets pain. Only by putting down your weapons and recognizing that the grounder across from you is also *you* do you transcend. When you transcend, you are not giving up who you are, a la the City of Light, but your whole self lives forever.

Arguably, part of why humanity was able to transcend was that they had already rejected the City of LIght and its false transcendence. Team Clarke knows you can't pretend the terrible things you've done didn't happen, that your pain doesn't exist, and so forth. They know that your pain and your sins make you who you are, and at the end it's about who you are. Octavia, easily the most evil of everyone that transcended, was the one whom was able to deliver the speech to stop the war. Without her sins and her past evils, she wouldn't have been able to reach them.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of humanity transcending to a higher plane - leaving all the hardships and complexities of life behind to live happily ever after in magic land - is naive, unsatisfying, and betrays the original spirit of the show

Plus, the whole "We are all Wonkru" thing was already done in S5

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
An entire species' transcendence being based on an individual passing a test is bullshit.

It wasn't the individual that *actually* passed the test though, it was the people outside in the final war who stopped fighting.

The idea of humanity transcending to a higher plane - leaving all the hardships and complexities of life behind to live happily ever after in magic land - is naive, unsatisfying, and betrays the original spirit of the show

Plus, the whole "We are all Wonkru" thing was already done in S5

I disagree. Book 1 was the essential triumph of nihilism. The world ending over and over because humanity just couldn't get it right.

Book 2 is the triumph of hope over nihilism: Monty hoping that they could be "better". This was his hope for humanity come to pass.

The overarching philosophical conflict of the 100 can be distilled into Monty vs. Jasper. Hope vs. Nihilism. Humanity won the last war against itself. They have no more hardships to overcome.

If they hadn't transcended and just returned to the cycle of war and more war and more genocide, then nihilism would have inevitably won, and human life would have eventually ended. There literally weren't enough people left.

This is like the opposite of the ending of Lost where everyone goes to some weird ass heaven for "reasons". The survivors earned this ending for humanity. Jasper was *wrong*.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Man im gonna miss the cast - considering what kinda show it was i fond the ending quite satisfying but tbh my expectations were lowered by the current season. Anyway i cant be mad - they stuck their landing in my case and it was cool to see some fan favorites interact with the regular cast again.

Queen Octavia delivered again !!!

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
That shit was rushed and rushed hard.

:(

Season five's ending would've been better. Really didn't like this transcendence shit.

Mar 9, 2018
Clarke and co, sadly, were defeated by a more powerful species. A species that has justified genocide time and again because individual representatives (anecdotes) were not moral according to their arbitrary standards.

That's how I'm going to think of it. Sheidheda was right this episode. The victors write the history. And the victors were the dogmatic cosmic genocidey judges!

Certainly the methods of these judges is nothing Chidi Anagonye would ever approve of.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I agree with a lot of the thoughts already expressed here.

Raven is the best and comes through in the clutch again.

Nice seeing Lexa/Abby again briefly.

Bellamy got hosed and even with him wanting a reduced schedule, hard to believe that is the best they could write for him. His death should have been one of the biggest on the show and had much more impact, instead of it playing out like a dud.

I thought the 2nd half of the finale was better than the 1st half and while not great, the ending was somewhat better than I expected. Considering the amount of stuff they had to rush. With them knowing it was the final season, I would have liked more focus. Not sure why they decided to introduce this transcendence plot w/the Barods/test/war thing in the final season. Just introduced another piece when they still had all the Sanctum stuff on the board at the end of Season 6.

Murphy was the MVP of the season for me.

Overall though I will remember the show for its stronger elements when it surprised, shocked, and really made me feel something for the characters. Characters who they weren't afraid to let make complicated choices, although sometimes the writers regressed in that area. Also the cast and performances who I thought were really strong at times.

Sep 14, 2018
Why was it important to give Octavia that moment on the battlefield and essentially have her end the war when she's also been the cause of so much bloodshed?

ROTHENBERG: That's a great question. I feel like she'd learned the lesson of Wonkru, which is what she was applying on a global level now. She did not quite get that, at the end of Season 5. We arced her, over the last two seasons, to a zen Octavia place, so it just made sense to me that she was the one that got it first and was going to have that battlefield moment where she honors her brother and the fact that he saw it first, and convinces both sides, starting with her side, Wonkru, to lay down their weapons. It felt like poetic closure.

I thought it was nice coming from her, from anyone else it wouldn't have been convincing. Like Clarke giving that speech lmao who would believe her.

Anywho, I'll settle for an ending that doesn't make me retroactively dislike the show these days. Could have been much better, could have been much worse but I can live with this one. Or the ending of S5, that's fine too.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I have mixed feelings. My fav part of this season was easily the backdoor pilot.

This and last season... They never hit the highs of 1-5. And the ending is nice in it had something to say, but this season could have and should have been 3 its own. The unification of Sanctum and Shiedheda's return, then all about Cadogen and the rest of the universe.

The magic technology this season was just to much, the transcendence just too convenient. It was all to much, to fast.

I can't say I wish the show ended with 5, but 6 and 7, and whatever else was going on really should have been different. It'll be interesting to hear people talk about this years from now, and what exactly went wrong internally.

Here's to hoping for the spinoff show to be a thing.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Book 1 was the essential triumph of nihilism. The world ending over and over because humanity just couldn't get it right.

Book 2 is the triumph of hope over nihilism: Monty hoping that they could be "better". This was his hope for humanity come to pass.

I don't agree with that assessment - S5 left us with a glimmer of hope, which was more than enough. We didn't need the show to tell us "and in the end they actually did triumph over eons of human nature to achieve total piece and harmony for all of humanity, forever". It's a very simplistic and naive way to end a show with such complicated characters and situations.

Humanity won the last war against itself. They have no more hardships to overcome.

This ending is predicated on a premise of pure fantasy though - that humanity could (or would) ever just decide one day to achieve nirvana because "haven't we had enough of this cycle of violence guys". The City of Light storyline was interesting because it showed us a more honest (and maybe a little more true to sci fi) scenario - that the only way for humanity to "transcend" is for us to give up what makes us human, to relinquish ourselves over to a super powerful AI and let it change who and what we fundamentally are. And that maybe it's better to hang on to our humanity and deal with all that that entails than it is to live in a construct.

This is like the opposite of the ending of Lost where everyone goes to some weird ass heaven for "reasons". The survivors earned this ending for humanity. Jasper was *wrong*.

I do agree that it worked better than the dreadful Lost finale, but it was still a little too spiritual and fantastical for what I've come to expect from The 100.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I cried. So the ending was great. Just should have included Maddy in that end.
And you know, Niylah is there to avoid Gaia and Clarke get it on.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing could ever be good if Bellamy is still alive so the only good episode is one with him dead
This, never forgave him for the Treekru massacre, cheered out loud by myself when Clarke shot him.

So 4 couples, then Clarke + 4 chicks nice harem ending confirmed.

Glad they got ADC back, but seriously shoulda just had the previous commanders still in Maddie's head transcend and then live happily ever after with Lexa. In fact could of been the same ending except in the transcend world you can make anything like the lake cottage a reality.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
This, never forgave him for the Treekru massacre, cheered out loud by myself when Clarke shot him.

So 4 couples, then Clarke + 4 chicks nice harem ending confirmed.

Glad they got ADC back, but seriously shoulda just had the previous commanders still in Maddie's head transcend and then live happily ever after with Lexa. In fact could of been the same ending except in the transcend world you can make anything like the lake cottage a reality.
Could have even cheated a bit, we got Lexa's mind from Maddi's soe she transcended as well and they both wanted to be here with you.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I really disliked the whole season, and the finale was just laughably bad in a lot of places for me :(

Season 5 should've been the ending.

Oct 25, 2017
Rothenberg should have borrowed JJ's mystery box for season 1 that could be developed into "yes, aliens" in season 7. At least then it wouldn't feel so tacked on. To me it just seems like hubris, like we need some big ender to everything like BSG, to put this show in the pantheon of deep, thought provoking sci fi shows, when it started as "we're back bitches" and matured but not as a mysteries of the universe show until right at the end.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I enjoyed the finale considering how much they crammed into one episode. I personally would have preferred Clarke being alone, at the end. I also don't get why they had to add "there will be no offspring" (of humans) by the cosmic god person. So these people that rejected transcendence did so not only to live a mortal life and die in a normal human lifespan, but they also can't repopulate humanity. It felt like a weird thing to add, but I will say, I appreciate that it made it sort of a non-perfect/happy ending.

Like, yeah, these people came back to live as humans with Clarke, but they'll all die someday, and eventually, there'll be just a single survivor of humanity, and humans can never repopulate. And while I am happy the ending isn't perfect, it seemed strange that the god-like beings only allow people to return to human form if they can't reproduce. Just a weird caveat, to me.

To summarize, the ending was fine although rushed. Seasons 1-5 were the best. Season 6 was OK, season 7 was fairly weak with a few highlights (e.g. backdoor pilot), and the finale was fine given what they had to fit into a single episode, and given that it didn't retroactively ruin the entire series. I don't expect to ever rewatch The 100, but I can close out on the 100th episode saying that I'm really happy I watched the entire show and it's probably one of my favorite sci-fi shows of all time, with a somewhat disappointing final two seasons.

Oct 25, 2017
Epilogue- Josephine wasn't really killed and transcended from the mind drive like Emori, then untranscended to Sanctum where she found embryos waiting for her to raise, finds the key to hopping to Bardo where the tech is even better and more embryos are waiting and she is more able to develop the nightblood gene to allow her to use a minddrive to keep her alive forever. She raises an army of followers, because they were embryos or even eggs/sperm waiting to fertilize, they weren't included in the transcendence and thus can reproduce and spread across the planets. At some point, Josephine in a fresh young body, finds a very old and very alone Clarke Griffin that she puts a bullet in. /fin

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I heard they can re-transcend all except Clarke. So once Clarke dies, they all go up again. But the interview says different, weird.

Last edited:

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I think the ending was ok, but the whole season felt rushed, too many storylines going imo. Mixed feelings about the finale, still a very entertaining show, i'm gonna miss it.

I had a hard time sympathizing with some characters, specially Echo, she was a killing machine this season, really disliked the way they handled her. Also Clarke felt almost like a villain this season.

Gabriel was the MVP.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
You know what they freakin' did with this season and the show as a whole?

maxresdefault.jpg

They Mass Effect Catalyst Deus Ex Machina'd the fuck out of The 100.

Spoilers for Mass effect 3 for those who don't care, or want a refresher:
masseffect.fandom.com

Catalyst

When fire burns, is it at war? Is it in conflict? Or is it simply doing what it was created to do? We are no different. The Catalyst, also known as the Intelligence, is an ancient artificial intelligence that resides within the Citadel. It embodies the collective consciousness and memories of...

Yeah, someone literally thought how Mass Effect 3 ended should've been the way The 100 ended.

*rolls eyes*

Man, what a disappointing season, and a disappointing finale to an otherwise fantastic show.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
That was baaaaaaaaad.

It's basically the City of Light concept, but this time it's "magic" (and apparently better, for some reason). And i HATED the city of light concept. It's basically : " they are in heaven : happy ending ! Yay ! ". It's weak, it's lazy, and it lacks imagination.

Yeah, they just should have stopped at the end of season 5.

DoubleG

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I don't know what to say. I got really emotional at the end. Not necessarily because how the show ended, but because the show ended. At this point all the characters (even Hope) felt like family to me and saying goodbye wasn't easy.
I agree with everyone that Season 5 would've been a better ending to the show. But not solely because the last two seasons have been weaker. I didn't like the whole transcendence idea. I find that somehow depressing. I don't know why. I wish instead of going the spiritual route, they would've stayed on the sci-fi route.
Earth should've stayed dead.
Physical Aliens instead of light beings.
The truth should've been that our part of the galaxy is an isolated prison with limited resources and habitable planets. To escape we have to advance our technology. The stones are breadcrumbs and once we crack the code, we get out of the prison and join an alliance with other species and get Earth 2.0 to start over.

I guess it depends what kind of person you are. Religious people might find the idea of transcendence satisfying. For me as an atheist its not.

Edit: overall I'm ok with the finale. It was better than expected. While I agree that there had to be consequences for Clarke at last, I hated the idea of leaving her alone. So the ending was satisfying. I didn't understand the split second image of Clarke from the first episode though. Instead they should've done a farewell compilation video of the main cast of all 7 Seasons. It was great to see Lexa and Abbey again. Would've been even greater to see everyone else too. At least with old footage from past seasons.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to say. I got really emotional at the end. Not necessarily because how the show ended, but because the show ended. At this point all the characters (even Hope) felt like family to me and saying goodbye wasn't easy.
I agree with everyone that Season 5 would've been a better ending to the show. But not solely because the last two seasons have been weaker. I didn't like the whole transcendence idea. I find that somehow depressing. I don't know why. I wish instead of going the spiritual route, they would've stayed on the sci-fi route.
Earth should've stayed dead.
Physical Aliens instead of light beings.
The truth should've been that our part of the galaxy is an isolated prison with limited resources and habitable planets. To escape we have to advance our technology. The stones are breadcrumbs and once we crack the code, we get out of the prison and join an alliance with other species and get Earth 2.0 to start over.

I guess it depends what kind of person you are. Religious people might find the idea of transcendence satisfying. For me as an atheist its not.

The transcended aliens have a good game running though, don't they? set these traps across the galaxy and when a species finds them and cracks the code, the species either gets absorbed and neutered or wiped out. That's one way to make sure that the dominant life form is never remotely threatened as some numbskull on a remote planet can find a stone, crack the code and inadvertently end every member of their species even light years away.

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
Okay but Emori was dead - her brain was still alive but it was inside the drive which was inside Murphy and 😵
I mean she was kinda still alive*ish* in Murphy's head?
I know its stupid and makes no sense, but there were sooo many stupid things in this series finale like Octavia giving a super short speech and convincing a ton of people who either don't know her or only know her as a criminal to lay down their weapons, also amazing how she didn't get shot when she run in between the two groups shooting at each other *shrugs*

DoubleG

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
The transcended aliens have a good game running though, don't they? set these traps across the galaxy and when a species finds them and cracks the code, the species either gets absorbed and neutered or wiped out. That's one way to make sure that the dominant life form is never remotely threatened as some numbskull on a remote planet can find a stone, crack the code and inadvertently end every member of their species even light years away.
They do. But for humanity (or our hero's in the show) it means 'loosing and dying' or 'kinda loosing and kinda dying'. Trading the experience of becoming a parent and seeing a new soul grow up (Hope, Jordan and Maddie were symbolic to that) to a transcendened eternal painless life doesn't feel like a good deal. Emori and Murphy will never have a chance to have baby. That's sad.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Well that was...certainly an ending lol. Felt like that whole plot line could've gone for another couple of seasons.

Also loved that last bit of dialog between Clarke and Fake Lexa

Broken and despondent Clarke: "Can I come with you? I don't want to be alone."

Fake Lexa: "LOLOL fuck no stay your ass here."

Oct 25, 2017
Based on reactions I'm glad I dropped the show. Everything with Sanctum felt like the writers came up with a new show idea.

Shadow Walker

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the ending stuck the landing imo. This could have been really bad but it wasn't I enjoyed it I will miss this series. I also would have liked Clarke to be all alone at the end but I like depressing endings.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
I thought she was sowing (or maybe drawing like she did in on the floor of her cell?) something but I didn't care enough to go back and watch that scene again.

If I ever rewatch the series I'll stop where it should've ended.

BQDoHPm.jpg
Yeah, I thought that was the perfect ending for the series. The open-endedness of finding a new planet is better than the follow-up we got

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Uh...that sure was an ending.

Regardless of the ending, I'm going to miss the show. Hell of a ride.

Last edited:

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree that this season was the weakest of the series. That said, I really enjoyed the final two episodes. Such a great show, and even with some missteps towards the end it manages to have a pretty good ending all told. I'll miss it for sure.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I never like religious/spiritual mumbo jumbo in sci-fi and I was really disappointed to see them double down on it instead of the scam I had hoped it was. What was the point? No one except the cultists wanted transcendence; who even knew what that meant? Sitting around as a glowing tree for eternity? Sounds mega. If they had skipped all the spiritual super-aliens junk (who somehow still needed spaceships) and just focused on the cycle of violence, maybe they could have ended the series on a good note by tying off that long-running thread with some class and thoughtful introspection. But the ending we got was not dignified, it was farcical. The only bit of the episode that really worked for me was Murphy and Emori. It was really poignant and tasteful. Great acting job by them.

I will admit to being a bit emotional at the end because the series is ending. It's been a long run, and it's been fun sharing those experiences with all of y'all.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't a great or good season by any means, very messy, not even inconsistent just plain what the hell are they doing most of the time.

However, last two episodes were okay, I didn't care at all for the supreme beings being judge and jury, it's just not the show to me and the time it took to get there, what a waste for the majority of it. When you just go with it and have a laugh at clarke being left, then meeting up again, it's nice.

I did enjoy the time with the characters, nothing will compare to previous seasons but nice to see them come to an ending and a few returns. It was an awesome show most of the time so thank you for the memories and good times.