• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
www.cnbc.com

The 10 most recession-resistant cities for 2020

These 10 cities are more "recession-resistant" than other metropolises, financial services website SmartAsset found. It compared three main factors: employment, housing and social assistance

_2020_03_recession-resistant-cities-2020_map.1583939794146.png

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
That Frisco area is the fastest growing area of the US so it's not surprising, lots of jobs and cheaper COL compared to other similar areas. But yeah, also neoliberal policies and worker exploitation, $7 min wage and no unions or workers rights means employers hire and fire easily.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure on Texas with the oil shock going on. Even Austin would feel that since Government revenue is going to come down hard. It may be more diversified as a State now, but still relies heavily on it.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
So this is recession-proof in that you can drive all the Uber you want and at least only pay $500/month for rent, and not that there's actually good jobs in strong industries that won't buckle, right?

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
seems dumb to put Frisco, Plano and Denton on a list...since they are the same spot basically,

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
How the fuck is Lubbock on here?

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
absolutely shocked cedar rapids, ia is on there....
Me, too. But they have a few defense contractors, I think, which is sort of a recession-proof industry in America. And corn processing. Somebody has to process the corn.

Plus, I assume that unemployment stat benefits quite a bit from the proximity to U of I hospitals and clinics. So many jobs.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Hey, I'm in Sunnyvale, where rent prices are $1900+ for a 500sqft studio. No clue why it would be on the list.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I thought their economy was pretty diverse, this is a sad article to read.
The Med Center and other healthcare don't have the vertical and horizontal penetration that energy does as far as propping up all the chemicals, service, and logistics businesses. We never got the tech jobs that Austin has, and aerospace left when the space shuttle died.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The other half of Texas is still deep oil country and is one of the most recession-prone business sectors.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
It's much better than it was a few decades back, but there's work to do. A lot of the top employers are Oil & Gas related.

I wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown of the economy, kind of like that graph I saw of LA County's economic breakdown.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown of the economy, kind of like that graph I saw of LA County's economic breakdown.

This is from wikipedia, but it's a horrible graph because people will think that O&G is in the 3% of natural resources and mining, when it's really a mix of that, manufacturing, and trade & util. Also, the professional & business services along with leisure & hospitality are largely in service to O&G and health care.

Houstonecon.jpg