• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for body positivity, but the double-standard is ridiculous. Dad bod isn't new, it's existed for as long as men have normalized being overweight while holding the double-standard of expecting women to be thin.

Don't see anyone celebrating mom bod. Gee I wonder why?

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
This thread is absolutely atrocious. I belong to planet fitness which has both a squat rack and free weights, and I've seen pizza on the occasional holiday. No one even really touches the damn tootsie rolls.

And the amount of body shaming here is dreadful. I'll take a dad bod any day with someone who has a good attitude, over a jerk who has a six pack.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
My goal since hitting 30 has been to avoid dad bod and to be honest it feels pretty good getting in shape while most of my friends grow their beer belly.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Dad bod is just "I don't care anymore" body.
That just isn't true. I work out regularly but would still consider myself to have a dad bod. I am 5' 10" and 164 lbs, with a decent amount of muscle, but still have some belly fat and love handles. I have been slimmer, but it took a lot of effort and getting even close to a six pack resulted in me having no energy some days, and the cost outweighed the benefits. Not sure if my wife found me more or less physically attractive, but she feels much more comfortable with me having a more normal body and more normal eating habits.

Nephix

Nov 2, 2017
As someone who was previously obese, lost half their weight and after years upon years of constant workouts and weightlifting can't get rid of that last bit of belly without a surgery, I somewhat welcome this.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for body positivity, but the double-standard is ridiculous. Dad bod isn't new, it's existed for as long as men have normalized being overweight while holding the double-standard of expecting women to be thin.

I do. I love mom bod. I prefer it over a tight athletic body by far.

i see a lot of you six pack types being jealous of our beautiful dad bods

it's ok. maybe one day, you too may achieve the dad bod
Oh they will.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Not being able to see it as privilege is a pretty good sign of privilege. Plenty of people don't have the time or energy for much more than working enough to get by, much less anything beyond that.
Diet is infinitely more important to weight loss than exercise. As long as you eat well and do the most basic of activity (walking, taking stairs), you can stay in shape

Last edited:

SpinierBlakeD

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I've never been and I won't excuse the pizza, but my impression of PF was they just want to discourage guys from acting like obnoxious knobs in the gym.
Their tagline is literally "it's not a gym, it's Planet Fitness". Simply being huge doesn't mean you're a douche. It's just that it intimidates some people so PF decided to target a different market. Which is totally cool. But let's call a spade a spade.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017

I don't approve of either. Different strokes for different folks. It seems like increasingly there's acceptance for fat body types in men and women.

SpinierBlakeD

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
This thread is absolutely atrocious. I belong to planet fitness which has both a squat rack and free weights, and I've seen pizza on the occasional holiday. No one even really touches the damn tootsie rolls.

And the amount of body shaming here is dreadful. I'll take a dad bod any day with someone who has a good attitude, over a jerk who has a six pack.
So having a six pack/being in shape = being an asshole? Sounds like the classic "good guy" routine.

"I might not be in great shape, but I have an awesome personality. All those buff dudes are just shallow jerks".

Dec 22, 2017

m1MEOpg.jpg

I don't think this is true at all. It's more like "I don't care as much as I used to".

I think a lot of people are just picturing whatever friend they have that gained 100lbs after high school and calling that a dad bod. It's a pretty specific definition of strong, but not ripped. Some women like the idea of a masculine guy who isn't going to be lecturing them about carbs while grabbing drinks. This is why dudes like Chris Pratt and Blake Shelton are popular with the ladies.

The greatest boy

Alt account
Banned
May 31, 2019
User Banned (1 Day): Justifying body-shaming.
This is what happens when we aren't allowed to critique people's health and fitness because "fat shaming is wrong".

Don't get me wrong, You should never ridicule someone for the shape of their body. We just better not start applauding general apathy towards health and trying to make beer guts (which is what dad bod is for a large part) a hot new trend.

That's pretty unsavory. Being unhealthy is not something to promote and pass on to our children.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you see someone ripped as hell you know they've committed a significant amount of time/money/overall energy to ensure there physical appearance is in peak form.

It maybe is just an indicator of someone who is very superficial and self absorbed which is becoming a huge turn off.

I honestly think that's the real situation here. If given a choice I don't think anyone actually thinks a dad bod is sexier than someone who is in shape.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
This is what happens when we aren't allowed to critique people's health and fitness because "fat shaming is wrong".

Don't get me wrong, You should never ridicule someone for the shape of their body. We just better not start applauding general apathy towards health and trying to make beer guts (which is what dad bod is for a large part) a hot new trend.

That's pretty unsavory. Being unhealthy is not something to promote and pass on to our children.
I don't approve of either. Different strokes for different folks. It seems like increasingly there's acceptance for fat body types in men and women.
Not fat fat. We're not talking morbidly obese here. Just not completely ripped. So yeah, different strokes for different folks. But nobody here seems to be glorifying obesity or anything like that.
A combination of taking care of your body and enjoying the fine things in life. Seems like a good mix to me. Metabolism also changes when you get older.
To be ripped at an older age takes more work than when you are younger. Combined with kids and job(s) this will be hard for a lot of folks. And maybe people just have other hobbies and priorities.

But yeah, i like some body parts to wiggle a bit. It's sexy.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not really. i care a lot. i try to hit the gym after a 10-11 hour workday. after coming home and playing with the kids, doing house chores, feeding them and putting them to bed. but by 9PM, i am too fucking exhausted to do any kind of proper workout. so i do the bare minimum and come home at 10. i now have 2 hours to watch tv, play games and eat dinner before starting over.

doesnt help that once you hit 30, losing weight becomes harder than ever. in my 20s, i was easily able to lose 40 pounds in a matter of a few months. but now, after a year and going to the gym 3-4 times a week, i would be lucky to maintain my weight.

yes, i put my kids over my weight, but if i dont and leave them to my wife who has been dealing with them for 10-11 hours while ive been at work, i would both be a terrible father and a terrible husband.

TLDR, i care about things that matter. my kids think im a superhero. i think i'll be alright.

Idontwantit

Alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2019

That's true. Dad/mom bod is fine though.

Nov 9, 2017
My Planet Fitness kicks ass. Mine has 4 squat racks plus all the machines I would ever want to use. It is right down the street from me and is never really so busy that I can't do whatever workout I want. Not sure I would have lost as much weight as I have if not for my Planet Fitness.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
If you see someone ripped as hell you know they've committed a significant amount of time/money/overall energy to ensure there physical appearance is in peak form.

It maybe is just an indicator of someone who is very superficial and self absorbed which is becoming a huge turn off.

I honestly think that's the real situation here. If given a choice I don't think anyone actually thinks a dad bod is sexier than someone who is in shape.

And this is something that also is annoying. People put in the effort to achieve a physique they are proud of, let them rock it. A majority of the bigger doods are super nice and helpful. We want to encourage you on this journey!

Idontwantit

Alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2019
And this is something that also is annoying. People put in the effort to achieve a physique they are proud of, let them rock it. A majority of the bigger doods are super nice and helpful. We want to encourage you on this journey!

I havent seen people bash swole dudes in this thread much. If you enjoy that go for it.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

The fact that you would equate someone having a dad bod with "apathy towards health", means you should probably start thinking a little more about life than JUST physical health.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
So having a six pack/being in shape = being an asshole? Sounds like the classic "good guy" routine.

"I might not be in great shape, but I have an awesome personality. All those buff dudes are just shallow jerks".

Hahaha are you serious? I don't equate being in shape to being an ass hole. I'm talking about jerks who are in shape (not all people who are in shape, are you kidding me) who look down on others. Like too many in this thread.

Oct 29, 2017

There's been far more movement towards body positivity for women and the acceptance of 'plus size' models and whatever else.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's cute that you keep fighting this battle. I'd suggest you are grossly ignorant of how little time and energy many, many people have given the modern economy and job markets, especially as you look at lower incomes.

You don't need to worry about "providing" people with an out. It's reality, and they're living it every day. It's not like people don't know what's going on with their bodies and just say "Well I can't be bothered". It's a systemic problem for a reason far beyond "people don't want to put in the work".

Instead of speaking ambiguously, provide examples of say...5 scenarios where there is literally no time to even fit in a walk.

Edit: also, no reason to insult me by calling me grossly ignorant.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
The journey of getting in shape is a fun time. Active lifestyles are a fun time. Doing your best to maintain a healthy lifestyle is a fun time. Discipline is a fun time. The idea that somehow people who take their fitness seriously can't enjoy an occasional burger and fries OR that only people who don't work out regularly know what a good time is, is utterly foolish.

The greatest boy

Alt account
Banned
May 31, 2019
The fact that you would equate someone having a dad bod with "apathy towards health", means you should probably start thinking a little more about life than JUST physical health.

I think we just have a general disagreement on what a dad bod entails.

My dad def had a dad bod. 5'9 180lbs (about 20 lbs overweight is what I would consider a dad bod).

You get 20 lbs overweight by a lack of regular exercise (this means not even going 1-2 times a week for an hour or two in the gym, cardio and light weights) and a complete lack of portion control.

I go to the gym maybe three times a week for two hours if I'm lucky. In no way is fitness my life but I do practice portion control. It is pretty awesome going to most restaurants and getting 2 or sometimes 3 meals out of it because portion control in this country (usa) is so out of wack.

I think there are just different ideas of what a dad bod actually is in this topic.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling and history of inflammatory behavior, numerous accumulated infractions
The only people who believe this nonsense are lazy as fuck and most likely are dating below average looking people

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I wouldn't say it's even "applauding" it, like so what if some people find it attractive? I feel like your attitude kind of shames people who like that kind of body.
The only people who believe this nonsense are lazy as fuck and most likely are dating below average looking people
Wow

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Leave it to PF to conduct this study, the same gym which rewards its members with pizza day and bagel day.
They rounded up the type of person that seeks out Planet Fitness, then stays a member.
This isn't fair—I'm a PF member. On the whole, it's clean gyms with nice equipment. I just wish they did more to pander toward lifestyle change.

Feb 6, 2019
Is that really true? When I google image search "dad bod" I mostly see pictures like this one of seth rogen:

Zero muscle tone and 50-60 pounds overweight

that's because people posted it online with the word 'dadbod' next to it
He's just fat. Dadbod is called dadbod because it refers to how a guy often ends up looking when he becomes a dad. It's not referring to the body your dad has.

So dadbod = the way a guy looks in his late 20s who had a kid recently and cant go to gym as often.
The male equivalent of a curvy woman. AKA 'thicc'

For instance
5b9ec9771f00002d00222550.png

5b9ec9852400003200541fae.png

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Right? There's definitely not any sort of dad bod craze in my area. Hell, even a lot big women don't want dad bod.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there are PLENTY of "dad bods" and "mom bods" out there for people to find a partner of similar "attractiveness hierarchy."

Maybe it's because there are a lot of out of shape women and so they skew the results as they don't want a partner whom's body is intimidating? I don't know, but while looks are certainly subjective, I think all else equal, most men would have an easier time getting a date with whom they like if they were in great physical form rather than succumbing to their dad bod.

I work 50-60 hrs a week, have a nine month old baby, and like to eat... so those are my (crappy) excuses; but at least I'm not out here pretending to be peak attractiveness, lol.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Its weird. This also was a trending thing few years back and it died out and now it came back again? I mean though people can like whatever the heck they want I don't judge ,but its just weird that bounce back n up.

Status
Not open for further replies.