• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to it if it nails the humor.
15923643._SX540_.png

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No joke, I literally mused to myself a few days ago about Blue Sky's fate, wondering if Nimona's production would actually be rescued by another company; and I figured given their heavy push with animation as of late, Netflix would be the most likely candidate. Wish I posted it somewhere for posterity, but what can you do.

Also entertained the thought that Netflix would go the extra mile and even acquire Blue Sky (or at the very least, acquire its staff and facilities for the purpose of a new internal animation studio), but I'm arguably pushing my luck at this point. Still, I'll gladly take this news for sure!

Last edited:

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see this be resurrected.

Everyone at Blue Sky was laid off right? So is this another studio taking their work so far and finishing it up for release?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I want to think this is why Disney got back everything from Netflix, it was a trade.

And watch this be good

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
That's really awesome! Will definitely watch it when it comes out and hopefully it comes out on Blu-Ray as well

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Don't really know what this is, but the title makes it seem like something I should know about?

Animated adaptation of a fairly popular webcomic, it was supposed to be Blue Sky Studios' (Ice Age series, The Peanuts Movie, Horton Hears a Who!, etc.) next film after Spies in Disguise (2019), originally slated for release this year. Disney shut the studio down last year under the argument of pandemic restrictions making it too costly to run three animation studios and cancelled Nimona's production, despite the film being 75% complete at the time. Disney later opened a new animation studio in Vancouver roughly six months after Blue Sky's closure.

Last edited:

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
Animated adaptation of a fairly popular webcomic, it was Blue Sky Studios' (Ice Age series, The Peanuts Movie, Horton Hears a Who!, etc.) next film after Spies in Disguise (2019), originally slated for release this year. Disney shut the studio down last year under the argument of pandemic restrictions making it too costly to run three animation studios and cancelled Nimona's production, despite the film being 75% complete at the time. Disney later opened a new animation studio in Vancouver roughly six months after Blue Sky's closure.
Thanks

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
This news is mainly interesting to me because it shows Annapurna is functional enough to produce a decent sized movie. I thought they'd been a shell for a couple of years now.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I'm assuming it's being restarted from scratch since the studio got shut down?

Anyway, Nimona is great and deserved to be saved.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
According to The Hollywood Reporter:

Film started production earlier this year.
Directed by Nick Bruno and Troy Quanne. (Both of them directed Blue Sky's final film, Spies in Disguise. Patrick Osborne was the director of the Blue Sky production.)
Produced by Roy Lee, Karen Ryan, and Julie Zackary.
Executive produced by Robert L. Baird, Megan Ellison, and Andrew Millstein.
Animation produced by DNEG Animation.

Truth be told, there's honestly not much I can find from the details regarding the Blue Sky production, so I honestly don't know about how much is being carried over beyond the voice actors (Moretz and Ahmed were supposed to be announced for the Blue Sky production at the time it was scrapped.) Kinda odd we don't even have have any credits for a story/screenplay for a film that has undergone significant development at the time it was binned.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The fact this is out next year makes it seem like they were able to reuse existing work, otherwise that seems like a quick turnaround if they started from scratch. But I'm maybe (probably) wrong.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad that Nimona was able to be saved. ND Stevenson, and the comic, deserved better. I'm thrilled.

I don't dare hope for a similar Mouse Guard revival but if there are angels out there watching over axed 20th Century projects I'd love another miracle :)

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The fact this is out next year makes it seem like they were able to reuse existing work, otherwise that seems like a quick turnaround if they started from scratch. But I'm maybe (probably) wrong.

I imagine they'd have to be reusing a ton of work? I think Bad Batch started production before Mandalorian Season 1 and premiered after Season 2 and that's a TV show, not a full movie. The Turning Red documentary had animation start pre-pandemic and it just got released two years into the pandemic, too.

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how long animation takes, I'd be genuinely suprised/concerned if a majority of the work wasn't carried over.

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
I wonder how the licensing and reusing assets works for this. I assumed that Disney legally owned all of that.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Great to hear the project is back on, and like others I'm certainly curious as to how much they salvaged.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm just here to join the chorus of fuck you Disney; glad this managed to be salvaged elsewhere after they were too cowardly to release it.

You'd have to be intentionally oblivious to not see the correlation between this, the cancellation of New Warriors and their refusal to renew The Owl House for a full third season. Disney can talk all they want after being busted for their financial backing of the Don't Say Gay bill, but actions sure do speak!

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Really glad this is coming out! Desperately wish it was going anywhere but Netflix.
Seriously ): especially given their/the CEO's history

Also I cannot imagine they're starting from scratch if this is going to release next year. Animated feature films typically take 3-4 years to make, even if they kept the script and all the visdev work and only started animation over from scratch that would be a Toy Story 2 level undertaking to push it out in 12-18 months. I really hope they're picking up where they left off and it'll still be theatrical Blue Sky-esque quality.