• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Wow, Epic didn't even try to make it look different. They didn't even change the color palette nor change the clothing in some ways to make it a different style. It's 99% the same outfit.

Shit like this is just unacceptable. Hope Epic gets destroyed in court.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Epic doesn't want to do this ever again; but you see, they are making the world better for artists - you just don't know it yet.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Epic has enough Fortnite money now that they can hire someone to delve into the depths of Deviantart for new skins to sell. I wonder how long until they ripoff some Sonic OC

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I'm not even sure if this is an exact copy?? look at the yellow arms

could be coincidence on the head and shoulder areas

vnYqwRd.png
nIuBpZv.png

Loot at the blue hair with the red/yellow headband.
Look at the blue eyes with red/yellow pupils. The golden circle surrounding them.
The white yellow shoulder pads.
The blue shirt with golden triangle and a darker blue/black in said triangle.
The gold around the neck.

That's never, ever a coincidence. Too many of even the small details add up.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
They should respond and remove the piece. Not sure I'll roast all Epic for the work of what was likely one person (who may not even work at Epic). I don't expect this place to have a measured response though, too much bias based on other topics.

May 26, 2018
vnYqwRd.png
nIuBpZv.png

Loot at the blue hair with the red/yellow headband.
Look at the blue eyes with red/yellow pupils. The golden circle surrounding them.
The white yellow shoulder pads.
The blue shirt with golden triangle and a darker blue/black in said triangle.
The gold around the neck.

That's never, ever a coincidence. Too many of even the small details add up.

It's not even clever plagiarism! It's like copying someone's homework and putting their name on your sheet!

Actually, that would be more respectful than this!

Kamolahy

Oct 27, 2017
Not excusing this, as it's definitely wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was someone down the line found it and copied and didn't cop to it. Slim chance anyone who's not a character artist at that company even hovers in a space to recognize it. Should they have better checks in place to make sure they don't have creatives in their ranks plagiarizing? Sure. Does this kind of stuff happen in big companies from time to time? Yep.

We'll see what they do with it. Someone should be fired, as there are good artists who don't steal others work.

Jun 26, 2018
Has Epic ever succeeded with something they haven't stolen?

Nothing short of Epic cutting the artist a fat check / royalties / removal of the skin is in ordere here, and maybe also consider firing the artist at Epic that plagiarized.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Epic is here to bring competition to the character skin market, it's a win for everyone but gamers are to dumb to see it.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
You should post the terms of service where it says that (not being sarcastic).
I literally saw this thread and googled this topic. It was all over a Reddit thread where people were saying that. I didn't go through their TOS. I'm just saying we should wait for facts. Quite honestly the OP should have that info. But I get that it's easier to post a thread about Epic just to rile everyone up and hop on the hate train.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
What I hate most about this is Epic has the platform and capital to actually find undiscovered or little known artists, pay them and give them actual, tangible, meaningful exposure on their store via skins. But instead they do this.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
I literally saw this thread and googled this topic. It was all over a Reddit thread where people were saying that. I didn't go through their TOS. I'm just saying we should wait for facts. Quite honestly the OP should have that info. But I get that it's easier to post a thread about Epic just to rile everyone up and hop on the hate train.

Epic doesn't deserve any benefit of the doubt. Their entire business model is stealing from someone else.

How stupid do you have to be to keep falling for the same shit? It's more likely you don't actually care than defenders being that obtuse.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At best, Epic isn't properly vetting their final art assets (someone else submitted the design as their own, or some outsourced art company got scummy).

At worst, some internal Epic artist was maximum scum.

There really is no question that this is plagiarized. There's no fuzz on this one.

EDIT: I WAS BAMBOOZLED

Last edited:

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
What I hate most about this is Epic has the platform and capital to actually find undiscovered or little known artists, pay them and give them actual, tangible, meaningful exposure on their store via skins. But instead they do this.

I'm sure there's some bs trickle down effect a bunch of disingenuous people will cite.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Of course DeviantArt can't sell licenses of your designs to Epic, wtf have some common sense and read their ToS. Nobody would post anything if that were the case.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
Epic doesn't deserve any benefit of the doubt. Their entire business model is stealing from someone else.

How stupid do you have to be to keep falling for the same shit? It's more likely you don't actually care than defenders being that obtuse.
I could give a shit either way. But this culture of jumping to conclusions and without facts is bad. I'm not falling for anything. Absolutely every game with some sort of emotes and dances has stolen those. You think all those dances from other games is original? How is their entire business model stealing?

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
So many hot takes...quite possible that an artist employed by epic copied the design and noone at epic realised because they can't get against every deviant art post ever made.

Lots of comments as if an entire company of hundreds of people all acted in concert to screw over this person...

Sure, but maybe people would be sympathetic to Epic if they weren't continously trying to profit off the creativity of others.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Deviant Art likely told Epic games it was okay, NEVER upload anything to Deviant Art, they can give it to anybody to use for profit without your consent, when you upload content to Deviant Art, it becomes their content.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I dunno; saying it was due to freelancing/outsourcing imho makes it worse. I work in banking where shit gets outsourced all the time; when we get audited and they fucked up, we can't go "my bad, it was them!". If using direct in house designers would have avoided this, then they should have spent the money for the headcount. Even if its understandable how it happened, a multi billion dollar corp cant afford mistakes like this particularly since it feeds an already existing negative perception that they plagurize shit.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
So apparently this person uploaded this to devainarts and they can sell your images. So I think this whole fuck epic thing is a little premature until all the facts come out. But this is ResetEra so go ahead and skip the facts and go straight to trashing people.
That's not how it works. A complete buyout of an artistic piece rights (music, drawing, etc.) is pretty expensive and done at very little and specific cases, and the artist always have the rights of something the moment he/she creates it. It doesn't matter if someone registers it copying you, it's uploaded or not on some platforms or used on other medias. If you can prove you are the original artist, that's it.
Of course huge corporations, register something before you, etc. difficult a lot to prove that you are the original creator, but it's not impossible to do so.

Jun 26, 2018
I know, but to claim that Epic has never ever do something good is a bit much, and I fucking hate the new Epic lol

You're right, I did say "ever", having completely forgotten about their involvement with Gears of War (thought it was Microsoft) and I was ignoring the unreal engine, but Epic of the now has been getting most of their success from stealing ideas, options and culture, and it disgusts me.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
well this seems like a company I can trust

some
body
bout to get
PAID
the truth is that nothing is going to happen, because this artist cannot compete with Epic's lawyers

as always seems to be the case nowadays, Epic will be able to do whatever they want because they have Fortnite money to throw around.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

You said Resetera skips the facts but I'm seeing people (after your post) posting the TOS, and it seems to me usually the artist needs to give permission for a company to use their work.

4. Copyright
DeviantArt is, unless otherwise stated, the owner of all copyright and data rights in the Service and its contents. Individuals who have posted works to DeviantArt are either the copyright owners of the component parts of that work or are posting the work under license from a copyright owner or his or her agent or otherwise as permitted by law. You may not reproduce, distribute, publicly display or perform, or prepare derivative works based on any of the Content including any such works without the express, written consent of DeviantArt or the appropriate owner of copyright in such works. DeviantArt does not claim ownership rights in your works or other materials posted by you to DeviantArt (Your Content). You agree not to distribute any part of the Service other than Your Content in any medium other than as permitted in these Terms of Service or by use of functions on the Service provided by us. You agree not to alter or modify any part of the Service unless expressly permitted to do so by us or by use of functions on the Service provided by us.

16. Copyright in Your Content
DeviantArt does not claim ownership rights in Your Content. For the sole purpose of enabling us to make your Content available through the Service, you grant to DeviantArt a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, re-format, store, prepare derivative works based on, and publicly display and perform Your Content. Please note that when you upload Content, third parties will be able to copy, distribute and display your Content using readily available tools on their computers for this purpose although other than by linking to your Content on DeviantArt any use by a third party of your Content could violate paragraph 4 of these Terms and Conditions unless the third party receives permission from you by license.

(from the previous page someone posted this, I haven't looked at the TOS myself)

I agree with you the OP should've had the TOS for copyright on the site included.

Anyways, if Epic did steal the work hopefully the artist gets some compensation and publicity. If not hopefully it's cleared up soon.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
But come on guys, don't be harsh on Epic.

I mean, Epic is bringing competition. This will be helpful for everyoneeeeee. Pinky swear.

#JusticiaBurrito

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Went to the subreddit to see what happened with this, and it looks like the thread just kind of died out with a bunch of people spamming that DeviantArt owns the design due to the artist uploading it there, when that's apparently not true.

How'd this happen last year and nobody noticed?

Status
Not open for further replies.