• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The Death Star was a space ship not a space station. It could travel anywhere in the galaxy with light speed. It could maneuver around solar systems, albeit maybe slower than a Star Destroyer. Just because it was much larger than a typical capitol ship, and round like a moon, does not negate this fact. Its a ship, George, not a station.

Come at me.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I think the OP is right. If it can move from planet to planet, it's a ship. Station is supposed to be stationary, like in a fixed orbit. I don't think landing matters either - the ship from 2001 Space Odyssey definitely couldn't land anywhere, but it was still a ship, no? Same with the ship from Sunshine.

The ISS moves thru space. We still call it a station and not a ship.
Isn't it in a fixed orbit? I don't mean geostationary orbit, but in a more or less constant, same orbit.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
They didn't know what they were looking at. Of course they'd identify it as a station given its size.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Space stations maneuver around solar systems too. Just not in the typical way you might think.

Technically everything is zipping and zooming through and around solar systems.

There's actually been fairly interesting conversations about the very idea of sci-fi mega-ships and how, regardless of whether such a thing can fly under its own power, it is useless to call it a "ship" after a certain point.

Really huge, self-propelled constructs don't serve a practical military function typically assigned to "ships". Their only sensible purpose is as a mobile base of operations.

Personally, I do prefer to classify something that isn't intended to be moved regularly as a station. I might call the Death Star a mobile base, because it's clearly meant to travel around continuously (otherwise it wouldn't be much of a threat). But it can't be called a ship or a vessel.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I think, as mentioned above, that the rebels just misidentified it. Anyone would think it's a station given its look and size.

First post again lol. This is exactly it
Is this a joke/reference that I don't know? Because I don't think that landing is the deciding distinction. It seems really that most realistic space ships would be built in space, and would never be able to land anywhere.

Space stations maneuver around solar systems too. Just not in the typical way you might think.

Technically everything is zipping and zooming through and around solar systems.
That is more pedantic and philosophical. As long as they are staying more or less in the same orbit around something, they are being a station, I think.

Oct 25, 2017
It could travel but it's primary purpose was not as a vehicle but as a base and a weapon platform which makes station feel appropriate. It did not move frequently.
they didn't need to build it that big just for the laser. It was a base. Which makes it more station than vehicle. It didn't do much traveling. But you could say it's both.

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I think, as mentioned above, that the rebels just misidentified it. Anyone would think it's a station given its look and size.

Is this a joke/reference that I don't know? Because I don't think that landing is the deciding distinction. It seems really that most realistic space ships would be built in space, and would never be able to land anywhere.

That is more pedantic and philosophical. As long as they are staying more or less in the same orbit around something, they are being a station, I think.
I know 😂 I was being extra pedantic.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any space station that can move on its own at will through space is a space ship.

Come at me.

All space ships can be space stations, but all space stations cannot be space ships.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
The Death Star was a space ship not a space station. It could travel anywhere in the galaxy with light speed. It could maneuver around solar systems, albeit maybe slower than a Star Destroyer. Just because it was much larger than a typical capitol ship, and round like a moon, does not negate this fact. Its a ship, George, not a station.

Come at me.

When that line is uttered the Death Star is stationary and the size of a moon, much larger than a typical ship and easy for Obi Wan to mistake it for a station. Context matters.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The thing can move through hyperspace and travel through a Star system fast enough to be a real threat. There is nothing stationary about it.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Come at me.

There's no such thing as a "space ship." There are spacecraft, which is any spaceworthy vessel, of which space stations are a subclass. The only requirements to be a space station are to have docking capability and provide a long-term habitat environment for people to stay on the craft. The ability to move has nothing to do with anything, as motion is relative, and thus everything in space is moving in some frame of reference or another. Therefore, the Death Star is, in fact, a space station, which is a type of spacecraft.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's no such thing as a "space ship." There are spacecraft, which is any spaceworthy vessel, of which space stations are a subclass. The only requirements to be a space station are to have docking capability and provide a long-term habitat environment for people to stay on the craft. The ability to move has nothing to do with anything, as motion is relative, and thus everything in space is moving in some frame of reference or another. Therefore, the Death Star is, in fact, a space station, which is a type of spacecraft.

n9YWsnh.jpg

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
A station gets its name not from itself being stationary but rather because it is a place one stops at.

A fire station is the place where firefighters stay when not out firefighting, battle stations are where you are ordered to stay when in combat, a "station" is a place where you stay, and since the Death Star is clearly a military base in function its designation is entirely fitting.

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
also, i mean, obi wan doesn't know it can move thru space, hence he thinks is a station

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

Come at me.

How much of this did Obi-Wan know when he said that line? Presumably he was mostly commenting on its size. I don't believe he had any idea of its capabilities at the time.

Nov 8, 2017
But why are they "Star Destroyers" when they are also stated to be "Imperial Cruisers"?

(don't give me the EU stuff here I know the 'answer')

The Death Star can't land making it a space station.

Spacecraft / spaceships are not required to be able to land. Indeed, many real world spacecraft proposals don't because surviving reentry is extremely challenging. Also a lot of fictional ones. The ISV Venture Star from Avatar is a more realistic example, the Enterprise from Trek is a less realistic one.

Jan 3, 2018
It's a space station because ObiWan definitely consulted the Force regarding its classification before opening his mouth.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Obi-Wan is literally seeing the thing for the first time as he says that line. How's he supposed to know if it can travel freely or not?

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
A station gets its name not from itself being stationary but rather because it is a place one stops at.

A fire station is the place where firefighters stay when not out firefighting, battle stations are where you are ordered to stay when in combat, a "station" is a place where you stay, and since the Death Star is clearly a military base in function its designation is entirely fitting.
Does that mean Star Destroyers are space stations as well?

colui

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's also the first time he sees something like that. Give him a break.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Star Wars canon, it seems nothing like the Death Star has ever been attempted or built before. It's a mobile station and base of operations, a warship, and possibly a fleet carrier if Star Destroyers can be housed and launched from it. It probably requires a new classification and term entirely.