• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
For context "Buck" is what they use to call male salves in America. This was in 1988(2 years before i was born)
battlestar2-1.png

Farther on the nose, his main enemies were 2 white dudes mad he got promoted. Name Right Winger and Left Winger. 80s Cap was wildly topical.
latest

latest

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hearing about this I always figured the writer (I think it was Mark Gruenwald?) got some letters about it so he worked it into the story.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh when I first read title I thought it was gonna be some old head hero on some dumb shit by some white writer. Glad to see it was the complete opposite.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Its really strange that they passed down bucky's name to the later sidekicks. Imagine if every Robin was called Dick

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Hearing about this I always figured the writer (I think it was Mark Gruenwald?) got some letters about it so he worked it into the story.

Gruenwald was an awesome dude.

Years ago I bought a trade paperback of Squadron Supreme that had a forward from his wife. She said Squadron Supreme was his favorite work and that his last request was to have his ashes spread in the ink of his best work. I was holding a copy with his ashes. Pretty cool way to do it, if you ask me.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That whole story line was great (332 to 350 I think?). Walker becoming the pos US Agent and always keeping that republican idiocy has always been fun!

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
What If Captain America weren't revived until today (or the 80s)

What If #44

This is one reason why Cap's story is so great. He can be frozen until whatever the modern day is and it still works. If anything, it has gotten better over time. See MCU cap.

I need to go back and read old Gruenwald Cap, this run included. Is it on Marvel Unlimited?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one reason why Cap's story is so great. He can be frozen until whatever the modern day is and it still works. If anything, it has gotten better over time. See MCU cap.

I need to go back and read old Gruenwald Cap, this run included. Is it on Marvel Unlimited?

I couldn't tell ya, unfortunately. I do all my comics reading on CMX.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Battlestar was USAgent/Captain America's sidekick. USAgent is the right-wing counterpart of Captain America.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Gruenwald was an awesome dude.

Years ago I bought a trade paperback of Squadron Supreme that had a forward from his wife. She said Squadron Supreme was his favorite work and that his last request was to have his ashes spread in the ink of his best work. I was holding a copy with his ashes. Pretty cool way to do it, if you ask me.
Wow that's pretty neat.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Yup. I recommend starting with cap refusing to do the governments bidding and stepping down to the issue where he battles John and the Skull and picks the mantle back up. If you go further than that you start getting into "cap is in a crack house that blows up and the drugs bond with the serum so he runs around super high for 5 issues" territory.

But yeah the cap as the captain, and John as Cap run is mostly brilliant, just be forewarned still a white writer so as good as the shared panel is you also get to see Lamar "get some learning so he can speak right" type shit. Still worth the read.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yup. I recommend starting with cap refusing to do the governments bidding and stepping down to the issue where he battles John and the Skull and picks the mantle back up. If you go further than that you start getting into "cap is in a crack house that blows up and the drugs bond with the serum so he runs around super high for 5 issues" territory.

But yeah the cap as the captain, and John as Cap run is mostly brilliant, just be forewarned still a white writer so as good as the shared panel is you also get to see Lamar "get some learning so he can speak right" type shit. Still worth the read.

Yeah, I know Gruenwald is white, but as I said above I think he was a decent guy. Good to know his Cap run holds up.(Mostly, of course.)

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I know Gruenwald is white, but as I said above I think he was a decent guy. Good to know his Cap run holds up.(Mostly, of course.)
Oh I'm not trying to drag him, just saying he still did some tone deaf stuff, but he was trying and did some really good stuff that as always is even more timely now.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018

That whole series is up, 100-454. Only a few of the annuals are missing.

who are the black heroes from Marvel's WWII days? any?

Like actually during WWII? I'm no expert, but I can't imagine there were any. The most I ever saw in the ones I read on unlimited were helpers to the white man who went to the jungle to tame the 'savages'. I'm pretty sure I heard Black Panther was the first. If you mean retconned, I couldn't tell you.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
who are the black heroes from Marvel's WWII days? any?

If we're talking actually from the 40s, there aren't any. Just, uhh... Whitewash Jones.

When you get to the 50s there's Waku, Prince of the Bantu, which is still pretty racist in a "noble savage" sort of way, but he at least looks like a human being. After that it's nothing until the famous characters in the 60s - Gabe Jones, Falcon, Black Panther.

1ZVULsB.jpg

When you get into flashback stuff, though, you obviously have Isaiah Bradley, and I guess you can count T'Chaka?