• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Playing through the Gears of War series and while I have seen THAT scene in GoW 2 in the past out of context, this is the first time I've seen it in context. And uh, not much better.

To be clear, the scene I'm referring to is Dom finding his wife. Turns out she's been captured/tortured for months/years and is now basically dead and Dom has to put her out of her misery by shooting her like a lame horse. Dom concludes the cutscene with "I WANNA KILL THEM ALL" and that's more or less it.

You can see Epic attempting some form of "mature" storytelling, although why they would do that with a series that has been as indulgently juvenile as Gears is beyond me. Feels like the way they go about doing this is equally juvenile. Dom spending the whole game basically a speaker through which "WHERE'S MARIA" comes out of robs him of basically any character he could've had (not that anyone else is much of a character but still). We basically don't know anything about Maria other than "she's Dom's wife", which, like, isn't a character. I've no attachment to this person that I have never seen or interacted. The storytelling is nowhere near strong enough to make me care about Dom's wife THROUGH Dom. I guess Dom's voice actor was decent in the scene, but that alone can't carry the whole plot beat.

Then the death scene happens and it's one of the more blatant cases of Fridge-Wife storytelling.

Despite this being an 11 year old game, we've had far better attempts at more nuanced storytelling around that time. I know the scene developed an infamy with plenty of derision from such a contrived story beat, but while I was ready to see it in a somewhat different light having played through the first and second games for context, there doesn't seem to be much there. Remarkably, that scene falls just as flat just watching it on YouTube out of context vs in-context.

(also shout-outs to how wild it is that this same company would move on to become those Fortnite devs)

Thoughts on the scene? For the people who played it at release, did it have a real impact or was it clunky back then as well?

Oct 26, 2017
Shit, Games have been telling better stories long before the obsession with cinematic cutscenes came along. But yeah even back then the scene barely earned its impact.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It had zero impact, it has zero impact, it will always have zero impact. It was just another story beat that I felt no emotion for because Dom is barely worth talking about and his wife was literally just "his wife", as you said. I can't even tell if anything in any Gears game is meant to be played straight or if it's there just to serve "there's a story" checkboxes for people.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It's an embarrassing scene. It was amateurishly written and acted. Nothing about it works. I laughed the first time I saw it. But I also believe Epic thought they were doing something with feeling. Hearing interviews with Cliffy B talking about how he didn't understand their dude-bro reputation goes to show how little a handle they had on what was going on with the tone of that series.

That said, I think Gears 3 actually does deliver some interesting moments. Cole's football memories and Marcus in the conclusion shows some actual progression for people who have known nothing but fighting for so long. I was genuinely surprised when it happened.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I laughed so hard at this scene when I first played it. I still treat it as a comedy scene.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I thought it was pretty emotional and heartfelt. I liked Dom and felt for him. Nothing in the scene made me think "Haha this is hilarious!".

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
The worst scene is the suicide/sacrifice truck in Gears 3 it try's so hard get emotion out of player with music direction of scenes but you just don't care

Dec 2, 2017
I find it a little difficult to get emotion from this scene or Doms death in 3 when gears of war doesn't really take itself seriously and is kinda goofy a lot of the time. I first saw that scene when I played through the game in 2009 when I was 16, and maybe it worked a little better then.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, this attempt to make Maria central to Dom's character completely ruined him.

His character in Gears 3 became this soulless husk who didn't care about shit anymore (you know, kind of like his wife!), which made it even worse.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've never played the game but after watching the YouTube clip above, it really doesn't make a very good case for him "putting her out of her misery" here, unless there is additional context provided elsewhere.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if people are exaggerating when they say this, or just a bit weird.

At this time I was playing the masterpiece that was Mass Effect 2, to then watch a game series about overly roided men pretend to care about a missing spouse whose character is literally just "missing spouse" was hilarious. I called it before the scene even happened. I was like, "she's gonna be dead so they can pretend to have an emotional moment." And BAM, I was right. That shit made me laugh so hard, both in its performance but also in thinking that anyone at Epic actually thought this scene was good writing and a real emotional scene.

It's like the "Dear Sister" skit from SNL, except the writers don't realize its a joke.

Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Scenes like these can have impact even when the characters involved are essentially non-characters because it's easy to understand how you feel about those you really care about, and how you'd feel in a similar situation.

Doesn't mean the scene or the characters are brilliantly written but hey, sometimes empathy just works by itself.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this time I was playing the masterpiece that was Mass Effect 2, to then watch a game series about overly roided men pretend to care about a missing spouse whose character is literally just "missing spouse" was hilarious. I called it before the scene even happened. I was like, "she's gonna be dead so they can pretend to have an emotional moment." And BAM, I was right. That shit made me laugh so hard, both in its performance but also in thinking that anyone at Gearbox actually thought this scene was good writing and a real emotional scene.

It's like the "Dear Sister" skit from SNL, except the writers don't realize its a joke.

Gearbox?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I've never played the game but after watching the YouTube clip above, it really doesn't make a very good case for him "putting her out of her misery" here, unless there is additional context provided elsewhere.
Locust prisoners pretty much turn into husks after being tortured and worked to death. She'd basically become a vegetable at that point.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Tai's scene is more impactful to me because he was captured, tortured and killed himself within the span of what, a day? A week?

And Tai was built up as this unstoppable, wise powerhouse.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was pretty emotional and heartfelt. I liked Dom and felt for him. Nothing in the scene made me think "Haha this is hilarious!".

Same, though I knew instantly what scene was in the OP before opening the thread.. Once I learned what hell people go through when they're captured by locusts it was hard for me to snark at it, I don't know, maybe I wasn't that cynical when I played it originally. The only thing that stood out to me was Marcus saying "it's ok dom", like, it's fuckin' not, wth dude.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was better when the game was new. I played it in co-op with a buddy for just about the entire game and we were both bummed when it happened. We were also pretty shook when Tai takes his own life.

Looking back, those moments are pretty corny now but that doesn't mean Gears 2 isn't still one of the Xbox 360's shining moments.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I think every Death in Gears 2 is handled better than the Maria thing. Even when Ben gets caught in the worm's acid pool and dies.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never expected him to have a happy ending given the world they live in. Humanity was pretty much wiped out by the Locust and some random woman without any real survival skills probably didn't have much of a chance. I always assumed she was already dead in the first game and he wasn't going to find her.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
It worked for me, same with the guy in the first game (can't remember his name). I remember the scene of you rescuring him from the container and he looks relatively calm and unperturbed, but then the camera pans to his back and he's just SHREDDED. Without any word, he just grabs the shotgun and blows his head off.

For me, the parallel between the scenes, strong stoic figure torn to the brink of sanity versus a relative 'innocent' shattered beyond comprehension, tied them together and made it work. True, we don't know much about her other than 'Dom's Wife', but I liked Dom so I cared that he cared.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the death scene itself was dumb. The one right before where Dom sees his wife as she was and Marcus has to snap him out of it to the reality of the situation was more effective.

But Gears is at its best when its being ridiculous - "they're sinking cities with a giant worm!" I laughed for a good long while after that line.

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I see something absurd or embarrassing, I tend to laugh. There is so much wrong with the scene, it makes it hard to take seriously.

I agree. The end of The OA season 2 made me laugh because that genuinely was obsurd.

But this scene is "meh" at worst. It's not necessarily the emotional pivot point Epic were hoping for, but the way it's discussed here is clearly an exaggeration whether people want to admit it or not.

I guess most scenes like this in Gears never worked for me, because it was hard to take the barrel-shaped steroid men with no necks too seriously. Most scenes involving the Cole Train doing his thing fit the Gears mood and aesthetic more naturally.

DAT JUICE was more traumatic than this.

To this day, people in my household cannot help but say "look at all DAT JUICE" when opening a fresh jug of orange juice.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
In the sea of unremarkable shooters with the most predictable and bog standard dudebro story, I thought Gears 2 and 3 attempting something more serious was admirable. This scene in particular, while undeniable clunky, I quite liked at the time, and still think it's fine given the age of the game.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Scenes like these can have impact even when the characters involved are essentially non-characters because it's easy to understand how you feel about those you really care about, and how you'd feel in a similar situation.

Doesn't mean the scene or the characters are brilliantly written but hey, sometimes empathy just works by itself.

The notion of losing a loved one or needing to make a hard decision about a loved one is of course a situation you could feel empathy for.

What you see in this scene, and the contrived manner in which it is performed, actively detracts and distracts from feeling empathy for these characters. Regardless of whether I can understand the situation, I expect more from media of they're going to tackle a situation like this.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I was younger this scene really got to me. But looking back at it, it's incredibly hokey.

Dom's performance here isn't great. I do like the line where he's confused and pleading to Marcus but that's pretty much the highlight of the scene. I also feel like this was a needlessly downer scene in retrospect. As much as this game came out at a time when "mature" storytelling was starting to become the norm in videogames, it feels a little bit too grim of a resolution. There was literally no way Dom's wife was going to end up unscathed considering her location, so why are they so defeatist when it turns out that's what happened? It feels weird in a narrative sense to just have them trek all the way there and then just be all "can't be helped I guess" rather than trying to get her out of there and attempt some kind of rehabilitation - and yeah I get it, it's to show how fucked up the Locust are, but that still reeks of really "meh" storytelling.

Gears just felt way too cynical for its own good after the fact.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I agree. The end of The OA season 2 made me laugh because that genuinely was obsurd.

But this scene is "meh" at worst. It's not necessarily the emotional pivot point Epic were hoping for, but the way it's discussed here is clearly an exaggeration whether people want to admit it or not.

I didn't even realize there was a second season of the OA. The final episode of the first season was so bad that it put me off.

Whether one finds this scene very bad, or meh, it's a matter of opinion. It's definitely on the continuum of "not good" though.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I felt bad for Dom but then Marcus gives him that BFG and it felt like a scene from a Zuckers' film. I couldn't take it seriously after that.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Hilariously-sized hands really take away any seriousness the scene is going for lol