• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
I was hesitant initially. Coming off the previous animated outing; it had a pretty high bar to clear. While I didn't enjoy the stories nearly as much, they killed it in the animation department. I think there's still a movie coming to Netflix based on this run?

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I watched hafh of season 1, and Im not the biggest fan of the way the portrait the turtles, but goddamn the action and animation is godlike

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
It's the most stylish and best animated section of the franchise by far. Honestly, for me, it's moved pretty quickly into being favourite adaptation. It's just so damn fun

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like one second of that entire clip. I think I'm just getting to a point where I don't like the look of contemporary kids animation anymore. I'd say Avatar, Korra, and Transformers Prime were probably the last kids show I liked the animation of.

I'm glad shows like this TMNT and others exist for those that like them, I don't wish to see them end of any other petty bullshit, but I just find all of them ugly as hell.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The animation is slick, but still not a fan of the artstyle and the action is just so over top ridiculous, every single second of the show is non stop style shots, it's tiring

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the best pieces of western television animation I've ever seen... I just wish it had a better story/characters.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit that was gorgeous.

Kudos to the animators and storyboarders, this is some Genndy Tartakovsky level shit.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The animation is slick, but the art style prevents me from calling it "purty".

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's some some pretty nice sakuga. Even has some Studio Trigger sparkles.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Why do the character designs look like they came off a Gamestop case

i8ft4xy0bu211.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
We're doing a 2012 rewatch in my household by my son is excited about getting to this one.

I'm partial to the more "grounded" approach of 2012 and its dramatic beats but I'm looking forward to seeing more of that in the OP. I now want a Thundercats from this studio.

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
That is anime as fuck.
It's most definitely inspired by Studio Trigger's style, particularly Hiroyuki Imaishi. Although some sequences such as these:

it is funny how most of the clips i see of this show are without sound because they are animation studies xD

...are directly influenced by old school Hong Kong action flicks/Jackie Chan's sense of timing and rhythm

jackie-chan-in-1996s-police-story-4.gif

5S9Bm5l.gif

mar-22-2017-22-27-09gif.gif

giphy.gif

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
TBH, I didn't care for the animation (which was too flashy or something... I'm not really sure what it is).

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Holy shit it's fucking amazing, this some top notch animation. I have seem some clips from this show and every single one is just mind blowing, this one though is fucking 2 full minutes of sakuga, crazy.

Katori

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, they really like Dragon Ball Super. Really gorgeous work though. Does the show consistently deliver animation like this along with a decent plot?

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anyway to legally watch this online outside of the US? Is it on Netflix or anything?

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Never thought I'd ever see a western children's TV show have animation as kinetic and extremely well storyboarded as some of the fights in One Punch Man and Mob Psycho.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit it's fucking amazing, this some top notch animation. I have seem some clips from this show and every single one is just mind blowing, this one though is fucking 2 full minutes of sakuga, crazy.

Honestly at points a whole damn episode will be at the level of sakuga, it's nuts. Helped of course that each one is only ten minutes long, but nevertheless, the animators are applying lessons on timing and impact frames that few other western projects really consider

It is legit on Sakugabooru, that's how good it is:

/rise of the teenage mutant ninja turtles | sakugabooru

/rise of the teenage mutant ninja turtles | sakugabooru

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The animation was great, but the art style and character designs are terrible.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...the hell? This is some of the best animation I've ever seen. What's going on over there. Is this show worth watching?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible animation god damn, but I've only ever experienced it in twitter clip form or sakuga studies.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Well animated and the action is surprisingly clear for a bunch of hyper-kinetic esplodey nonsense. I can appreciate it on a technical level but this really isn't my thing.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
been watching clips of the show like this for a few years now (or however long its been around)

i'll definitely get in on it whenever/if it comes to hulu or netflix or whatever

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I wish I liked the show, the animation itself is great. I am not a fan of the characters or the new personalities and designs but I give them credit for trying something so different.

I wish 2012 TMNT had more love. Sure it hit a couple of brief slumps but I think it might be my favorite overall animated TMNT story.

...the hell? This is some of the best animation I've ever seen. What's going on over there. Is this show worth watching?
Not if you're a fan of the IDW comics, the first movie or the 2012 series. This pulls away from those as much as possible. Which is fine but it's geared towards a much younger audience than any previous iteration of the series.

It's just not my thing but I don't think it was written with an adult audience in mind.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
What is teh fight where Micky throws a whole ass ocean liner at somebody?

Oct 30, 2017
What the hell?

Goddamn, that looks amazing.

It's most definitely inspired by Studio Trigger's style, particularly Hiroyuki Imaishi. Although some sequences such as these:

...are directly influenced by old school Hong Kong action flicks/Jackie Chan's sense of timing and rhythm

jackie-chan-in-1996s-police-story-4.gif

5S9Bm5l.gif

mar-22-2017-22-27-09gif.gif

giphy.gif

This is hot! They really know where to take their influence and deliver on that action framing, timing, and choreography, whew!

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
TMNT has never been my cup of tea, but the energy of this series is undeniably marvelous. Stuff like this and the Batman flick have been a shot in the arm for the franchise

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I remember really liking the first few episodes of this show. I really should get back into it.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
That's crazy, every frame looks like a keyframe. The varying ink widths and shadows of the lineart are especially impressive, it's no small feat to do that in animation and keep them so consistent frame to frame.

kess said:
Why do the character designs look like they came off a Gamestop case
Yeesh, I understand not liking the style, but to compare it to something where the artist clearly didn't even understand composition or scale or... what a hand looks like just makes you look ridiculous.