• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
If you didnt know, Sony has a nice 100gb cloud save storage for ps plus member.

But you know what, it only have measly 1,000 save limit. You cant go over that. So 100gb storage mean nothing

Games like Skyrim, Days Gone , RPG in general eat up this more than you would think and you will hit a cap soon if you game on PS one day eventually.

Since this restriction was set like 7 ? Years ago and amidst of next gen that many people is stacking up their digital library. This restrictive scheme need to go. It serve no reasonable purpose at all.

I personally hit this damn cap many times and have to go through my old game save to make my cloud save functionable again. It is doable but annoying and delete save file that you want to keep suck so bad.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
I recently hit this and it's been extremely frustrating. Doubly so that, just as I shift over to the PS5, I can't easily export and backup the PS4 saves generated there via USB, which, I was about to do and can't!

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
You mean 12 Skyrim autosaves will take up 12 of the 1000 slots? Didn't know that.

I'm shocked you hit it multiple times though, are you just talking on one platform? Or are you playing PS3+PS4/5 and handheld concurrently?

I don't see this being an issue for the vast majority of people

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
As someone that dabbles in a bunch of games, it is easier to hit than you think. PS4/5 still auto-upload every thing you do (betas, ps+ testing out, etc). This alone requires you to periodically delete stuff from the cloud, throwing it out of sync between local and remote. As mentioned, the PS5 doesn't allow USB export, so you can't back them up at all.

Eventually, you'll have enough games that will hit it. Some games have only one slot, but the average I've seen is 3 (Settings, Profile, Save). As the generation continues for the next year, and a bunch of the games are still PS4 versions, I think more people will hit this, especially as PS+ ramps up continuing to give out PS4 versions.

It's wild to debate against this, every other system (*any* PC platform, Xbox) just makes the limit per-title, completely negating this.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Goddamn, I probably have over 1000 saves for Skyrim alone on PC

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I've been backing up since the PS3 days and never ran into this issue and that's with PS3, PS4, and Vita games.

I don't enable auto-upload and only upload the main save and profile/system saves (auto-saves are useless to upload IMO). So like 2-3 save files a game.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Yep. You'll most likely hit the item limit before the space limit. I hit it a few years ago when they made the jump to 100 GB and saw that wasn't the real limit. It doesn't help that some games change the name of the file based on the game time or real time of when it was last saved, so some games create a ton of saves because they're constantly autosaving to new files. Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn are two of the worst offenders.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
I can see certain times when having a cloud backup would be handy, but do we need every separate save file for a single game backed up? I'm not exactly seeing the value of keeping 20 save files on the cloud for a single game, though that's only my experience.

Fiel You seem to have more knowledge of this than I do; are there certain games that are worse offenders with auto-saves that over-populate the cloud backup system?

Oct 29, 2017
It's 1000 files, not 1000 games? Holy cow. I have like dozens, maybe hundreds of save files in each of the various Elder Scrolls and Fallout games alone.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
My trophy stats tells me that I have played over 700 PlayStation games across three consoles with cloud save connectivity. Definitely concerned about this and it really needs to change. Currently rotating 10 saves in Persona 5 too, something I often do in RPGs. I'm convinced I will hit the limit during the PS5 era.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I can see certain times when having a cloud backup would be handy, but do we need every separate save file for a single game backed up? I'm not exactly seeing the value of keeping 20 save files on the cloud for a single game, though that's only my experience.

Fiel You seem to have more knowledge of this than I do; are there certain games that are worse offenders with auto-saves that over-populate the cloud backup system?

Yeah that's what I recommended in my post above. Just back-up the main save and then the profile or system save. You don't need the 20 million autosaves. That's why I just do it manually. Takes 10 seconds to do after I'm done playing a game and only backing up the saves that matter.

Of course the 1000 limit can be removed since it's stupid to have since they already allocate 100GB to you.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Never once hit it. Or the old 10gb? Limit that was in place.

But I'm very good at data management. Once I've finished a game it gets deleted along with all related data unless it's something special like shenmue.

Currently only have 3 games on my PS5. And only saves for shenmue 1-3 in the cloud storage beside what I'm actively playing.

But I also backup all my save data on a 500gb hdd when removing it from the console /cloud and keep it for 6-12 months and if I haven't gone back to it in that time frame I probably won't ever

m0therzer0

Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
Yeah that's what I recommended in my post above. Just back-up the main save and then the profile or system save. You don't need the 20 million autosaves. That's why I just do it manually. Takes 10 seconds to do after I'm done playing a game and only backing up the saves that matter.

Of course the 1000 limit can be removed since it's stupid to have since they already allocate 100GB to you.
I always got the impression that the 100GB limit was bullshit. There are currently 47,000,000 PS+ subscribers. If they honestly were allocating that much space for everyone, they'd need 4,740,000,000 GB in server space, and that's without redundancies for backup, which would be insane to assume they don't also keep.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I always got the impression that the 100GB limit was bullshit. There are currently 47,000,000 PS+ subscribers. If they honestly were allocating that much space for everyone, they'd need 4,740,000,000 GB in server space, and that's without redundancies for backup, which would be insane to assume they don't also keep.
It's likely to keep the inode count in check, since there are filesystem limitations to how many inodes you have per partition. It sucks but they're likely setting an inode quota and didn't expect most users to hit it, which is also likely still the truth for 95% of players.

m0therzer0

Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
It's likely to keep the inode count in check, since there are filesystem limitations to how many inodes you have per partition. It sucks but they're likely setting an inode quota and didn't expect most users to hit it, which is also likely still the truth for 95% of players.
Interesting point there, I wasn't aware of those kinds of limitations that'd guide this.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
It's quite understanding that all limitations should be data count driven, not content count driven. Imagine limiting your console to 50 or 100 games no matter how big or small the games are. Vita had 100 game limit in it's infancy. This feels out-dated since day one.

plake

Nov 3, 2017
I hit the 1000 save limit on my PS4 late last year. I investigated a bit and found some information claiming that the 1000 save item limit was removed some years ago but apparently it seemed that people that had older PS+ accounts did not have this limit lifted, while those with never accounts was not imposed with the limit. Apparently you could solve this by fully emptying your PS+ online save files directory and then re-uploading the saves, which would remove this limit.

So I went on to try it and have not since run into any issues at all. I'm not sure I have 1000 saves now to be fair, but I didn't remove too many saves when emptying/re-uploading and have played quite a few games since.

Could be worth investigating if curious.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Interesting point there, I wasn't aware of those kinds of limitations that'd guide this.
It varies from one file system to another. It also can affect directory access the more files are added, so it could be either one at play.

These are the kind of thing I wish I could know about their networking infrastructure just because I'm interested in it on a purely technical level (I work for a hosting provider so that doubles my curiosity).

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
What really needs to go is the fact you have to subscribe to get cloud saves. Beyond stupid.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Is there a limit on xbox and steam?

Not that I'm aware of for Xbox and it's a really good selling point for that ecosystem. You don't ever need to worry about saves. Play all the games you want, save as much as you want, upgrade systems, it doesn't matter. All your saves are with you on your account no matter what. It's definitely an advantage they have. I don't know for Steam but I've never ever run into issues.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
It does, there's really no reason for it especially when some people have 3 or 4 consoles with saves, i don't know if they all add to the same limit but I'd guess so?

Also while on the topic of cloud saves, I appreciate how easy it is on xbox to move from xbox to pc, to xcloud etc, but I really fucking hate that they do all that shit automatically and don't allow me to manage saves and upload multiple saves of one game to the cloud. There are games where I may want to have a 2nd save file on my account for a different play through without deleting or removing my old save. But I've yet to find a way I can just have a 2nd save on some games on xbox at all, let alone have it uploaded to the cloud as well. Ps4 allow me to upload any amount of saves from one game as I want and grab them whenever I want, which I do like.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I assumed most games over-write autosaves rather than accumulating them. I can't recall playing anything recently that doesn't overwrite them?

There are definitely games that keep a record of them all, and many games that keep say, the last five.

Some games also store settings as a save file, so that takes up slots too.

m0therzer0

Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
There are definitely games that keep a record of them all, and many games that keep say, the last five.

Some games also store settings as a save file, so that takes up slots too.
So lets just spitball some figures here:

If the game retained 5 auto-saves and the user kept 5 manual save games, plus 1 settings save file, each game would take ~11 slots.

If Sony provided 1000 save slots, that'd account enough slots for 90.9 games for a single person, or ~45 for two users who both play every single game. That's a lot of save states that could likely be pruned (and now I'm curious what my count is and how easy it is to find it).

Nov 1, 2017
Ah.. I just started hitting this limit with the PS5 generation. And the save limit includes PS3 saves as well?

An arbitrary limit of 1000 is pretty stingy for 3 generations of video games.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So lets just spitball some figures here:

If the game retained 5 auto-saves and the user kept 5 manual save games, plus 1 settings save file, each game would take ~11 slots.

If Sony provided 1000 save slots, that'd account enough slots for 90.9 games for a single person, or ~45 for two users who both play every single game. That's a lot of save states that could likely be pruned (and now I'm curious what my count is and how easy it is to find it).

I don't know as if it's a good system if users are expected to babysit their space though, especially when the 1,000 save limit is totally arbitrary (like, they already have a space limit in terms of GB - why also add in an arbitrary '1,000 saves' limit too).

90 games is not a lot at all. Not at all! Especially for people using things like PS Now. I have 298 games installed on my Series X for example (it is open in front of me so I can check it).

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
wait like 1000 games or 1000 save files? So If I have multiple save files for Bloodborne like 5 for example, It gets counted as 5?

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
This surely cannot be right. I have about 550 separate ps4 and ps5 games in the cloud and I'm hitting no limits?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
For those not believing this:

Auto-Upload | PlayStation®4 User's Guide

PlayStation®4 Official User's Guide. Explains how to use the PS4™ system.

• Before using this feature, you'll need to:
    • Activate the system as your primary PS4™ system.
    • Select (Settings) > [Power Saving Settings] > [Set Features Available in Rest Mode], and then select the checkbox for [Stay Connected to the Internet].
  • To disable automatic uploading for all games, clear the checkbox for [Enable Automatic Uploads].
  • You can place up to 1000 data items in online storage.
  • To view the progress of uploads, select (Notifications) from the function screen.

FWIW though, when this was first reported, people said this only affected PS4 on it's own; you could still upload files for PS3/Vita.

So not sure if they add another 1000 for PS5 or if PS4/5 are combined.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Pretty sure PS5 save limits are handled differently as they have their own storage/file allocation on PSN per the PS5's own menu.

m0therzer0

Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
I don't know as if it's a good system if users are expected to babysit their space though, especially when the 1,000 save limit is totally arbitrary (like, they already have a space limit in terms of GB - why also add in an arbitrary '1,000 saves' limit too).

90 games is not a lot at all. Not at all! Especially for people using things like PS Now. I have 298 games installed on my Series X for example (it is open in front of me so I can check it).

I'd agree that asking users to manually prune their save files isn't really the best experience, but at the same time, the majority of standard users are already doing something fairly similar by deleting old games from their consoles hard drives when they run out of space, and anyone old enough to have used Memory Cards on their consoles can attest to it not really being a big deal.

Per the arbitrary save limit, I'd agree it's probably entirely unnecessary, and the number of users actually hitting their 100GB storage cap is ridiculously small.

But having 90 games...honestly, I think we're kind of a special case here, aren't we?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
But having 90 games...honestly, I think we're kind of a special case here, aren't we?

I think a lot of 'core' gamers will easily have played 90+ PlayStation games across two generations (three if you include PS3 for PS Now users). Doesn't seem a lot to me at all, especially in a world where people are expected to play things like PS Now, PS+ games, F2P games and EA Play.

Having said that, I don't think 90 games is actually an accurate estimate for this limit or we'd have a lot more people here who'd hit it already. I've got a lot more than 90 games played across my PS4 and PS5 and I haven't hit this limit (although I totally did hit the size limit before they upped it last time).

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
I have like 40 saves now and they vociferously bombard my PS5 notifications. It's so annoying. Just let me upload all my save files. It says I have 93 GB left, let me use it.