• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I knew what it was based on the thread title alone. It's weird that it's in both the soundtrack as well as the basic effects mix of the film itself.

Also I live on a party street where I regularly hear motorcycles revving on Saturday nights so the sound itself is very familiar to me.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Half of Doom and Half Life's sound effects are from this General Sound Library Series 6000:

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Watching Blade Runner 2049 in the Dolby Cinema and it opening with this was an insane experience. It was essentially like being engulfed by a wave of sound:

Nothing has come close since.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Because movies like this seemingly aren't watched by enough people :/
BR2049 underperfoming was such a crime
It really, really was.
But, there has been enough of a critic response and just general sustained word of mouth that I think more movies like this aren't off the list. They all can't make Marvel movies, so they have to try different shit. Let's hope I'm right.
Well, this is all assuming the industry survives corona without any MAJOR changes to what movies even are.

Edit:
And that closeup of her face. So close. Too close even, too close for comfort. And the framing is a bit off. Such a contrast to the previous scene with out of focus faces and far shots; as well as the unstable shots of K. Perfectly conveys that feeling of waking up and someone is watching you close and you can't really gauge the distance or grasp the situation/intent.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, the sound design is one of the reasons I love Blade Runner 2049 so so much.
I know it's technically a song, but that one specific sound at the lighthouse scene in Annihilation is pure bliss too.

~10 seconds in, but please watch the movie before:

trailer uses that sound effect multiple times between :50 and 1:20 and at the very end too. made me want to watch the movie. lol.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I think my favorite is the "five tones" in "Close encounters of the third kind" and how it lead up to this scene.

Oct 27, 2017
Roma, Italia
If you´ve seen Bladerunner 2049, you probably know exactly which sound I´m talking about.
It´s a sounf that could best be described a really heavy engine being powered exlusively by synths - you can hear it here at the 1:02 Minute mark:

That specific sound-cue is used several times in the Film and i vividly remember it being one of the most impressive feeling sounds I´ve ever heard (especially with Dolby Atmos).

Another similar and a lot more famous Cue is of course the "Hans Zimmer Inception Brass Sound" ©, which feels like it´s popping up in every trailer nowadays and i almost a meme in and of itself:

I dont even know why i made this thread, i think mainly because we often talk about Movie Soundtracks from the perspective of traditional Songs and/or Compositions, but not nearly as much about specific sound-cues that dont register as a musical piece themselves but are just as memorable and important.

So, What are some other sound-cues that you remember giving you an almost physical reaction in the cinema?

Absolutely loved your choice. 3 or 4 came to my mind immediately, but i'm absolutely posting my choice without any hesitation. It's gotta be Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior when he reengages the supercharger at 1:20

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the sound design is one of the reasons I love Blade Runner 2049 so so much.
I know it's technically a song, but that one specific sound at the lighthouse scene in Annihilation is pure bliss too.

~10 seconds in, but please watch the movie before:

The first time I heard this i was floored, finally I hear something that feels truly alien (and looks obviously).

tfmaiden

Oct 31, 2017
Not a movie but the za warudo sound effect from the JoJo's bizarre adventure anime is hard to forget

Ghostmate

Dec 11, 2017
Y'all don't know nothing about this here:

Some of my most favorite Star Wars sound effects crammed into one soundstage. Most importantly, Luke's lightsaber screaming to life at the end.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The biggest mystery in film history in my opinion is the Rollerball remake going with this specific sound effect, twice (!!), in their big, super-serious action set piece:

Just baffling. I love it anyway, but I really would love to know what happened here.

I think they were trying to find a sound effect to use for the bikes breaking through the wire fences but definitely wasn't the right one lol

The two Prowler chases and "What's Up Danger" are just amazing uses of music in film. They get me hyped every time I watch Spiderverse.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
On clicking the thread title I thought you meant the Decker apartment ambience which makes it's way into a few films (I've noticed it in Alien and Empire Strikes Back).

It featured in BR2077 at some point, as I recall noticing it at the time.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Funny enough that Inception trailer music wasn't composed by Hans Zimmer, it was done by Zack Hemsey so technically it was his "bwaaaah" sound that became famous since the move itself uses a different one.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Bladerunner 2049 was an amazing cinema experience. I was absolutely transfixed at multiple points like Joi in the rain, the tests, the sex scene, the end fight at the seawall, tears in the snowfall, etc.

Just an amazing combo of visuals and sound.

Which is also why I love Annihilation, that 4 note alien sound gives me chills every time. The visuals and sound combines into an amazing experience. I loved seeing the ecology of the shimmer, it was so familiar and yet exotic with this beautiful rainbow glow permeating the air.

a2.gif
64abd5e8b4b579a9b9d34b7f1a373b54.gif
tumblr_pw38y1rNk21xshu2fo2_500.gif

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
The Transformer sound is maybe my favorite sound effect of all time. It's just so fun, especially when you try to imitate it. CHCHGRCHECHICH