• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I love how they do callbacks to what everyone learned from the first avengers

mtn7M60.gif

lBlnMJm.gif

The first gif was the only shot that gave me difficulties making it. Him throwing the hammer to the shield and ricocheting back took me a 2nd watch to follow and even then it was cut too quickly.

Other than that, damn did everything else deliver.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's funny, I always thought RDJ's I am Iron Man took far too long. There's not way Thanos would have stood there for ten seconds and let Stark snap while he was getting his one liner out.

Under scrutiny parts of End Game don't hold up I guess.
Thats knew there was no way or time to stop him. All Tony had to do was snap which takes an instant, so even if he moved to interupt him, he still would of snapped.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
The way it seems to be, one will only dislike that scene if their favorite Avenger is Thor (my case, BTW). I spent all movie waiting to see Thor getting back at Thanos, redeeming himself and finding peace, only to see Captain Freaking America stealing that moment while saving Thor from death like he was a fucking princess in distress. F with that.

Fat Thor did fine in the circumstances. He will redeem himself further in future movies.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is almost no care put into dramatizing this moment. Just look at the way he stabs at the sky with the hammer? Where's the cinematic framing/composition? The visuals are really pedestrian. Imagine if someone with real visual chops created that moment onscreen? Someone who actually cared about visuals? Seriously that scene kinda sucks from a visually cinematic point of view. Even the way he reaches up for the lightning was just lame as hell.

Yes i'm sure the award winning cinematographer of the biggest movie in History "doesn't care"

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
There is almost no care put into dramatizing this moment. Just look at the way he stabs at the sky with the hammer? Where's the cinematic framing/composition? The visuals are really pedestrian. Imagine if someone with real visual chops created that moment onscreen? Someone who actually cared about visuals? Seriously that scene kinda sucks from a visually cinematic point of view. Even the way he reaches up for the lightning was just lame as hell.
I don't care about comic books at all. I've never read a super hero comic book but I've seen every single MCU movie to date. Understand that I am like 95% of the viewers of MCU in that way. It was cool but it was just a fleeting moment in the film... there's really not a ton of reason to dwell on it.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
That's funny, I always thought RDJ's I am Iron Man took far too long. There's not way Thanos would have stood there for ten seconds and let Stark snap while he was getting his one liner out.

Under scrutiny parts of End Game don't hold up I guess.

It's a standoff. Tony is holding a figurative gun to Thanos' head.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
MCU movies are very good at many things, but yeah they have a real problem with visuals in general. Color grading is dogshit, generally poorly directed, the action can be abysmal at times.

I don't get how the response to any criticism of MCU movies is "look at these people cheering! and they make so much money!". Don't be such a mark

crazy monkey

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
The way it seems to be, one will only dislike that scene if their favorite Avenger is Thor (my case, BTW). I spent all movie waiting to see Thor getting back at Thanos, redeeming himself and finding peace, only to see Captain Freaking America stealing that moment while saving Thor from death like he was a fucking princess in distress. F with that.

He did go for the head in the beginning.

Jun 4, 2019
MCU movies are very good at many things, but yeah they have a real problem with visuals in general. Color grading is dogshit, generally poorly directed, the action can be abysmal at times.

I don't get how the response to any criticism of MCU movies is "look at these people cheering! and they make so much money!". Don't be such a mark
Please censor m*rk. It's an offensive term.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Like... if you're not really happy with Winter Soldier vs Cap/the airport battle/the Titan Thanos fight/Endgame's final scenes, I really just have to shrug my shoulders and ask... what are you looking for from these movies?
I like Bucky/Cap vs. Iron Man and the Titan and Wakanda battles from Infinity War. Not a fan of the airport battle or the last act of Endgame

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't necessarily dislike this specific moment. The finale as a whole was a huge disappointment. Grey, washed out, lacking in any sort of creativity in the set piece. It couldn't even live up to the infinity war climax.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The Marvel movies are above reproach around these parts.
Marvel movies get routinely criticized, if not outright shit on, on this forum. There are a bunch of people agreeing with your complaint and/or critiquing the rest of the movie in this very thread! You're no victim.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
That entire back half of the movie is just junk food. It stops being a story and it looks ridiculous, but it delivers on putting all your action figures in a big featureless arena and making them fight.

I agree. Many of the marvel movies have really awful shot compositions pretty frequently, but they're always shots of things that people like and the actual effects involved are high quality, so no one pays attention. It's mildly frustrating, but I've long-since accepted what these movies are.

If I want to see a bold cinematic take on superhero action and drama I can just go watch spiderverse again.

OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
Marvel movies get routinely criticized, if not outright shit on, on this forum. There are a bunch of people agreeing with your complaint and/or critiquing the rest of the movie in this very thread! You're no victim.

I never said I was a victim. I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth if you're going to quote me. As for the Marvel movies being routinely criticized, it depends on the thread. If you're in the dedicated box office and enthusiast monthly movie threads maybe. The movie OT threads are basically nothing but fanboy circle jerks

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
The whole last half of the battle is a mess.

But I still can't get over Cap quietly saying "Avengers Assemble" when they're already Assembled behind him. you tease that line for years and that's when you have him say it?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The crowd in my theater went fucking nuts when this happened. I disagree.

Yup. Just another of OP's disconnects from reality. It's a phenomenal moment.

The whole last half of the battle is a mess.

But I still can't get over Cap quietly saying "Avengers Assemble" when they're already Assembled behind him. you tease that line for years and that's when you have him say it?

What? They always say that when the team's already assembled. It means "let's kick some ass," not "everyone meet me at 2."

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I never said I was a victim. I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth if you're going to quote me. As for the Marvel movies being routinely criticized, it depends on the thread. If you're in the dedicated box office and enthusiast monthly movie threads maybe. The movie OT threads are basically nothing but fanboy circle jerks
I'm looking at this thread wherein you just commented about Marvel movies being treated like they're above reproach "around these parts" while many people in this very thread have said anything but. Just because you're getting not getting universal agreement doesn't mean everyone treats these movies as flawless either.

OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking at this thread wherein you just commented about Marvel movies being treated like they're above reproach "around these parts" while many people in this very thread have said anything but. Just because you're getting not getting universal agreement doesn't mean everyone treats these movies as flawless either.

Those comments are a huge minority. Most comments are drivebys that are pissed that I even made the thread begin with

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Endgame was packed as fuck.

Cap picking up Mjolnir is one of a dozen scenes that "had to happen eventually" and it happend in a packed as fuck movie, and it was done quite well, exceptionally well if you ask me, all things considered. The picking up of Mjolnir has not been that big of a deal ever since Vision did it in Ultron and Hela smashed it into pieces in Ragnarok.

Cap picking up Mjolnir is just one of the many things that had to happen in one movie, that had to include shit from movies spanning 10 years. Its a lot.

Aaaaand regardless of these things, it was still a great scene that got rightfully acknowledged by 99% of movie goers except JB and uh, I guess Zack Snyder DCEU stans, I don't know. And people who will shit on the MCU no matter what.

So you're wrong, but it's ok to be wrong sometimes. You can only grow from mistakes, like this thread.

Edit: but visuals specifically? Like quality wise? The visuals in almost all MCU movies are pretty mediocre though with some highlights here and there. I wish they didn't cheap out on CGI as often as they did.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Those comments are a huge minority. Most comments are drivebys that are pissed that I even made the thread begin with
I'm not going to tally up every single reply in this thread to prove a point tbh, but just looking at this page alone the comments seem split, if not leaning toward negative, on whether people liked it or not/thought it was a well constructed moment or not.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes i'm sure the award winning cinematographer of the biggest movie in History "doesn't care"
In his defense, the MCU isn't exactly a playground for DP's. The first Avengers was shot by Seamus McGarvey of Atonement and Anna Karenina game. Best in the biz. That movie looks like absolute fucking garbage.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Thats knew there was no way or time to stop him. All Tony had to do was snap which takes an instant, so even if he moved to interupt him, he still would of snapped.

I'm now imagining a Dr Evil 'zip it' scene where Thanos tries to interrupt Tony's big speech and Tony keeps holding his gauntlet up like 'ah ah ah' and stopping Thanos until he is done with his sentence

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
OP isn't wrong. It's a great moment and no matter how you paint it, it should have looked incredible and it's a snooze compared to what it should have been.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In his defense, the MCU isn't exactly a playground for DP's. The first Avengers was shot by Seamus McGarvey of Atonement and Anna Karenina game. Best in the biz. That movie looks like absolute fucking garbage.

I wasn't objecting to the subjective opinion but rather the cinematic equivalent of "lazy devs" - I mean Tommy Wiseau can be accused of a lot of things but "not caring" ain't one.

I probably do a lot of it myself but projecting intent onto artistic outcomes - especially collaborative medium like film, is a fool's errand. On a project like that everyone cares - even cynical lawyers and bean counters care.

For me the framing isn't the problem with the scene - it's the choice to use Captain America theme music instead of Avengers or even Thor. I understand how rational that choice is, but It's the least stirring choice and it needed a muscular musical swell of triumph but they went for an oddly gritty and sterile motif from the Cap series.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This forum is going to murder you lol

But what's actually gross is how poorly composited the entire scene is. It really looks like they're all running and fighting in front of a green screen the entire time. The lighting feels totally disconnected from the surroundings.
Yeah, imo it's more writing, editing, acting and audio that really make this battle hype. The cinematography and choreography are... Fine

It's a good thing films are the results of so many different disciplines because in the end it really just comes down to what you walk away with and when you're hitting on so many levels, people can overlook a few things (except audio, horrible audio will tank something quick).

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
It could have been handled better. The brouhaha about it was that he picked it up but that's it, the action and cinematic itself of the moment was really lack luster

BLACK LAC

Nov 5, 2017
Don't see a problem with it tbo, the scene played as important but they didn't play it up over the top, and since it was never going to be the "killing blow" it makes sense. 🤷🏾‍♂️

The "dramatic" moment is when when Cap, all alone, beaten and sheild broken, gets up straps in and walks forward. And they played that beautifully.