• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I remember in Age of Ultron when Cap tried to pick up the hammer and it wiggled a little bit. Thor saw it and it startled him.

In End Game, I didn't even realize what was going on until Cap started throwing lightning with it. I thought the end was too busy. Sorta like Star Wars prequels space battles were too busy.
There's an unbelievably deliberate shot of Mjolnir being lifted, then Captain America grabbing it for three full seconds during a dramatic sound cue, and then Thor says "I knew it!"

How could you *possibly* not know what was happening in this scene prior to lightning?

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok then...

llcym7nqx5d11.png

latest

hwre5apmgxx21.jpg

d6jhm0o5vc421.jpg

Hey, i dont agree with the OP as I stated, but russo brothers get criticized for being uncreative with their shots by like film nerds. Like they try to compare villenueve with russo brothers, etc.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There's an unbelievably deliberate shot of Mjolnir being lifted, then Captain America grabbing it for three full seconds during a dramatic sound cue, and then Thor says "I knew it!"

How could you *possibly* not know what was happening in this scene prior to lightning?

Honestly, when I hit these surface of the sun level takes I just write it off as some zoomer being too busy typing up some snark on their phone instead of actually watching the movie.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The whole sequence has lots of bad cuts and some of the framing is definitely weak..... But my God the spectacle is all there, it's super impressive visually and while I'm also not keen on the way that Cap summons the hammer I do appreciate that they even did it.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guys, if you want to watch movies in silence; dont go to fan movies at the opening weekend.
i went to the midnight premier of endgame and not a single person made a noise through the whole thing. loved it.
but if americans want to clap and enjoy it then that's fine too, i'm just happy it's not a thing here.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I kind of agree with OP. I think there is definitely framing, cinematography problems during this hype inducing moments. Like even Russos did better in IW when thor came back with storm breaker.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Until just now I hadn't even noticed that Cap flung the hammer at his shield. That's a fairly fucking subdued reaction compared to what happened in the first Avengers.

I'm feeling really dumb honestly. I only saw this in the theater once, but until this thread I didn't realize it was the shock-wave effect from the first Avengers. I guess I thought the hammer bounced back and hit Thanos, but this makes way more sense.

I wish they would have played it up a bit more, like you said, this is subdued.

traveler

Oct 26, 2017
I mostly agree and, worse, I found it even more disappointing for other reasons.

Character wise, Steve Rogers is pretty much worthy from the get go. Easily the most pure hearted and morally steadfast member of the Avenger, its hard to see a place in the whole of the saga where I'd feel like Thor was "more worthy" than Steve. Much is made of the hammer being demanding in the one lone scene of buildup we get for this moment in Age of Ultron, and there's really nothing to suggest why Steve would be any more worthy in this particular moment than any other time, other than it has great climatic timing. Speaking of it having only one moment of buildup, it's more of a tribute to other media than it is something developed in its own fiction. It accomplishes basically nothing outside of pure fanservice in the moment. You look at other big fanservicey moments in prior Marvel fights, and they're generally pretty good about working to a purpose- Giant Man showing up gives the Rogers crew the distraction they need to try and break away in Civil War, for example. They're not just empty calories, they pack a punch and move the scene forward. Here, the big three challenge Thanos, end up beaten and Steve picks up Mjolnir to give Thanos a few spectacle heavy hits before.... going right back to being beaten with nothing material changed.

The moment still hits for most groups, because the deck was fairly stacked in its favor. The anticipation was built up from the comics well beforehand so much so that even I as a non comic reader knew "Cap wielding Mjolnir" was a Big Deal, and it was frequently on wishlists of desired shots going into these big Infinity Saga finales. So I feel like audiences were going to go crazy over it no matter how it showed up so long as they didn't do something actively bad. But contrasting this with something like, say, Thor's entrance into Wakanda- which has a whole journey devoted to it, the arc of a beaten down character renewing his resolve all leading to this one triumphant moment, and actually narratively progresses the fight/accomplishes something and makes an impact on the characters around him- it feels like they checked the box and little else.

For my money, the best fanservice bit in Endgame wasn't any of the final setpiece moments, which generally rang hollow to me. It's "Hail Hydra", which not only does a knowing wink at comic book fans, works itself into the narrative perfectly, progresses what's happening in the moment, but also manages to subvert another expected tribute at the same time. That's how you do it!

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Also since when Thanos started saying I am inevitable?

It seems like it was only invented in endgame so Tony can say I am iron man

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the final fight was kind of lacking in gravitas to me as well. Could have been a lot weightier.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Thanos' very first words in IW are all about destiny, he considers himself to be a force of positive change for the universe that cannot be stopped. His entire arc in IW is about his certainty that this kind of pilgrimage for the stones he takes upon himself will, without fail, lead to the completion of his stated goal. He is unwavering, and he believes the universe is unwavering in the path it has set for him.

"I am inevitable" isn't really that crazy of a thing for him to say, when he's confronting the Avengers who think they can somehow make him change his mind and give up the stones so they could undo his destined will.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
That video that Yoshichan posted on the first page is absolute madness. Madness. I honestly don't know what I'd do in that situation. I'd want to leave and come back at like 2:00 for a matinee, but I already paid.

Nov 30, 2017
I have no idea what cinematography is and really don't care what it is either. All I know is I cheered for the first time ever in a movie theatre at that moment lol

Last edited:

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Okay, time to dig in a bit and rebut, substantively. I'm not MCU-stan and I find the bulk of the cinematography of the films to be incredibly bland. But, the example in the OP is a shining light in what is typically mediocrity. I still have my complaints concerning the lighting and set design. Mainly, that it highlights how fake everything is, despite the rubble all around the shots look too clean. Still, it's a far step above a fucking airport runway.

Onto the scene. We start with the setup. Thor is fighting Thanos and proceeds to have his Hammer knocked away. The camera closes in on the Hammer when it's knocked free, priming us for its return as we know it's out there and Thor can call to it. Thor still has his Axe which he proceeds to call, but Thanos grabs it from him and uses it against Thor. Again, reminding us off the callback ability and that Mjolnir is still out there. Things look really dire for Thor and it looks as though he's about to bite it, then we cut to the Hammer.

giphy.gif

The Hammer MOVES! We have a slight hunch in our mind what might be happening, but we can't be sure. Is Thor call the Hammer? Cap? Tony? The shot builds up suspense. The Hammer then careens past and smacks Thanos in the face.

giphy.gif

Now, at this point we know it's NOT Thor that called the Hammer so our suspense is heightened as it must be someone else, but who? We have to know for certain.

giphy.gif

BANG! There it is, the moment this sequence has been building towards. Cap catches the Hammer as the camera slowly pushes in on him to sell the weight of the action. However, note that we've yet to get a full view of Cap's body. We're witnessing him from the chest up, the film knows this and is saving this. We want to see Cap in all his glory, standing and wielding the Hammer. But, the films holds back. Instead, we cut back to Thor who sputters in amusement, "I knew it," before being briefly silenced.

giphy.gif

Finally, we cut back to Cap and the film is prepared to reveal him in full glory. He charges, jumps, and uppercuts Thanos in heroic fashion. The film allowing physics to be defied as Cap hangs in the air, triumphant. A worthy hero. Excalibur thrust high into the air to exclaim that he is righteous. The only thing that could make the shot more on the nose is if lighting came down the exact moment he hit Thanos and touched the Hammer as God Rays shined in the background to herald is ascension. Also important is the underlying metaphor of Cap swinging up while Thanos swings down.

It's a great sequence all around. Lighting is still poor though.

IW is one of the few good looking MCU films and it's only in space that it shines. I still find the majority of the films, including IW to be shot incredibly bland. A lot of what you're posting is just establishing shots or closing shots, the easiest thing to look pretty. Post the bulk of the film which is dialogue and the nitty gritty after the establishing shot and it's there the blandness shows itself.

It's almost as if the intention is to build the sequence from a small, intimate frame into an epic end.

Your analysis demonstrates how in taking a single element out of it's complete context - which is what the OP does - doesn't really lead to fruitful criticism.

I know I cheered a little bit at the uppercut.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
That video that Yoshichan posted on the first page is absolute madness. Madness. I honestly don't know what I'd do in that situation. I'd want to leave and come back at like 2:00 for a matinee, but I already paid.

When I went to see BR2049 the guy next to me was endlessly texting/tweeting and halfway through the movie turned to his friend and said 'What's going on in this film? It makes no sense.'

Trust

Jun 10, 2018
In the end OP and everyone who are critical of the scene and the movie in general is whatever. No matter how the movie played out ya'll would complain no matter what. There's no pleasing you nerds.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I've never been able to reconcile the word 'assemble' with the whole series. For me it just conjures up an image of being at school in the morning with the headmaster/principle doing the daily.weekly school speech.

well he's supposed to say it BEFORE they assemble dammit.

even when they teased it in Age of Ultron's ending scene, they had already assembled before he said it!

MCU Steve is the worst version of Captain America because both times he said Avengers Assemble! he was late to the damn party

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Am I imagining this or doesn't Thanos say something earlier in the film about his getting the infinity stones being inevitable? I could swear it was in reference to some earlier line of dialogue in the film.

Nov 30, 2017
well he's supposed to say it BEFORE they assemble dammit.

even when they teased it in Age of Ultron's ending scene, they had already assembled before he said it!

MCU Steve is the worst version of Captain America because both times he said Avengers Assemble! he was late to the damn party

Lol everytime I picture Cap yelling Assemble, I keep thinking it'll sound like Micheal Buffer saying "Rumble".

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this was another avengers callback. pretty cool mirror to the first movie with thor, stark, and cap fighting each other and now teaming up against thanos

that sequence also sets up the hammer for cap

wOCUSqy.gif

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Probably browsing ERA in the theater during that scene

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
That whole battle was pretty fucking ugly tbh but it was still a hype scene

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
A lot of the cinematography in Marvel movies is pretty mediocre, so it's not really that surprising. But the character beat and emotion of the scene is enough to carry it.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's funny, I always thought RDJ's I am Iron Man took far too long. There's not way Thanos would have stood there for ten seconds and let Stark snap while he was getting his one liner out.

Under scrutiny parts of End Game don't hold up I guess.
Once you have the 5 stones, you are mostly umbeatable, Thanos Knew he was done the moment Tony had all 5

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The moment was pretty hype, but because of what it meant for story and character, not for visual flair.
I don't want to hijack here, but what the hell did it mean for the story and the character? Was there some arc where Cap had to prove he was worthy that I missed? What the fuck is being worthy?

As much as I could see why people dug that scene, it really sums up Marvel for me in a nutshell. It really didn't mean anything. It just looked badass.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Great example of why I don't go to the cinema. I actually avoided all spoilers and watched it at home without screaming banshees ruining it for me.
You want a good experience, go to Romania. I saw it opening weekend at iMax, and nary a single reaction to any scene or joke. It was interesting.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Just a cute, fanservice moment. Cap being worthy was a bit of a running joke for a while right? It's not like they put effort into developing a story arc for Cap x Mjolnir....

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to hijack here, but what the hell did it mean for the story and the character? Was there some arc where Cap had to prove he was worthy that I missed? What the fuck is being worthy?

As much as I could see why people dug that scene, it really sums up Marvel for me in a nutshell. It really didn't mean anything. It just looked badass.
I think it would have been so much better had Vision not been able to wield Mjolnir. That made it much less special.
otherwise, this was the best thing ever.