• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I recently thought that I was growing out of games. My job leaves me dead tired so the main source of "fun" was shitposting online and watching dumb youtube shit. I would try to play many games but would often be bored and quit. Luckily this year has been full of bangers in the form of Nioh 2, FFVIIR and Animal Crossing so I now have stuff to do. But I recently rented Trails of Mana. I booted it up, selected my team, got into the first battle and noped the fuck out lol. I don't think it is a bad game but I could feel right away that it would not grab me. I sent it back today so somehow who could enjoy it will be able to rent it.

I am lucky enough to have a gamefly rental service (and a close distro hub) but I realize that I have done this a lot over the last few years. This is my new gift I suppose.

It happens in the following circumstances

- Too Anime even for this weeb shitlord; I love anime, watch it a lot but I'd be lying if a few games that seem like they would be up my alley made me immediately go "yeah I can't get jiggy with this" the moment the "OP" would play.

- Too long tutorials ; I probably have some form of ADHD but as I get older, I simply do not have the patience for tons of text telling how to play the game.

- "feels" off ; Hardest one to explain (and probably where Trials of Mana falls into) but some times the way characters move is just "off", yknow?

I'm of the mind that not many games nowadays are outright bad and for the most part I am open to new experiences but yeah I think I have found that I can tell if a game will grasp me from the opening parts quite easily now.

any one else have this "power"?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
- Too Anime even for this weeb shitlord; I love anime

Lol, I don't watch anime but tend to love games that embrace it's tropes. I was all about Xenoblade 2.

I absolutely understand what you mean about weird movements, back when I was into MOBAs I couldn't get into DOTA because the individual turn rates just felt extremely clunky to me.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I've tried playing MGS5 multiple times and it's just not for me.

I like stealth games as a genre and even liked MGS 1-3 a good bit.

I just cannot get into MGS5

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
DOOM Eternal .. after being a huge fan of DOOM 2016, it was a massive surprise

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
First of all: one can still rent games, for real? I'm surprised lol!

But yeah, I have it in JRPG's when the combat doesn't click immediately it's just not for me. Also, even when working from home I have so little time (and also little patience) to spend hours on games to see if it "clicks" eventually.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Probably long unskippable cutscenes and slow tutorial sections right at the beginning of the game, which are forced onto the player.

its as if devs aren't confident in the gameplay alone so they are hoping that the story sells you on the game. It is usually a pretty big indicator that this is a bad game and i shouldn't be wasting anymore of my time on it.

Oh sluggish controls are another one. Games like RDR2 and Witcher are a dealbreaker for me in this aspect.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah that's about as far into Mankind Divided as I got.

As soon as it gave me a dialog option I ejected the disk and never went back. At that point in time I really didn't like dialog options/choice (and still not a big fan), so the fact that I barely started the game and was presented with dialog options put me off the game.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 for me. After immediately realizing it is not for me, I still forced myself to do a few quests after the tutorial. Still, I wasn't feeling it, so I gave up on it.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I felt this way when I played Dark Souls.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can usually tell a game isn't for me the second it's announced. Overwhelmingly, the first vibe I get on a game tends to be correct when it finally comes out.

The number one counter-example to this is the Witcher 3, which I completely ignored through all of development because I hated Witcher 2's gameplay and bought on a whim because I was in a GameStop the night before Arkham Knight came out and they started selling AK early but I decided to be a contrarian and buy something else.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
The Witcher 3 for me. After immediately realizing it is not for me, I still forced myself to do a few quests after the tutorial. Still, I wasn't feeling it, so I gave up on it.

I think I got around to the 2 or 3 hour mark. Loved the world and characters I was being introduced to, but just didn't like the combat at all.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Arkham Knight. I finally started playing it for a gamepass quest for beating like twenty thugs. I accomplished that, and then promptly deleted the game. I knew the reputation of the Batmobile, but I was that fucking weirdo who enjoyed the Mako in Mass Effect. And I loved the Arkham games! Origin was the "bad" one, and I actually thoroughly enjoyed it--felt like a warmed over rehash of city, rather than something bold and new, but that was precisely what I was jonesin' for.

And then, I played Knight, and the Batmobile is literally the shittiest vehicle to control I've ever been in in an open world game. And because of that fucking time Vampire, what should've been five minutes of punching and drop-kicking thugs turned to a half hour.

Annihilator

Nov 10, 2017
West Fargo
I felt that way after the first 3 levels in eternal as well, but when everything clicks for you or as it did for me during level 4. Then Eternal is a much better combat arena game by far than doom 2016. Those first levels are bad training course levels unfortunately. I will play through Eternal again but yea even I'm not looking forward to playing those first levels again.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. And I think this comes with age and experience. I've played sooooooo many games that I now realize what I actually enjoy playing.

Sometimes I recognize something is so good that I do beat my head against it. Most recently is Dreams. I played for about six or seven hours before realizing that, while an impressive achievement, outside of finding Art's Dream visually impressive and moving at times, I did not enjoy a single thing I experienced in the game. Was really frustrating because I recognize it's a great tool but I don't think people are using it to create great games but rather great visual set pieces, and I can get those somewhere aside from my PlayStation.

Edit: The Witcher 3 is a great one for me as well. I make it through the tutorial and am like, "This feels like fucking garbage to play." Stuff like Breath of the Wild and MGSV have ruined floaty open world games for me.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
For me this is sometimes simply a timing thing. Right now I might not be in the mood for that particular game, but I'll give it a try years later and it will click.

Happened to me with FFX. I tried it on PS2 in 2010 and it didn't click, barely played beyond the opening water temple. Then fell in love with the PS3 version when that came out (My 3rd favourite FF after FFVIIR and FFVII).

Half Life gave me many false starts over the years and it finally clicked with me playing Black Mesa last month.

Cave Story 3DS is when that finally clicked with me, despite trying the original on PSP years before.

Peace Walker didn't click for me until last year (and I now like it even more than 4 and 5, has more of the classic MGS aesthetic) despite first playing that back when it came out for PSP.

Also I find I can tell when a game is objectively good, but just isn't for me. I've never managed to get into Spyro for instance, even though I own a copy of the Remake. Same with the Team ICO trilogy and FromSoftware games. Who knows, could just be another case of the timing thing I've mentioned above.

I've tried playing MGS5 multiple times and it's just not for me.

I like stealth games as a genre and even liked MGS 1-3 a good bit.

I just cannot get into MGS5
I've played through all mainline MGS games + Peacewalker (which is also technically a mainline game).

But I know exactly how you feel. The original trilogy as I affectionately call it, I've replayed countless times and will continue to do so for the rest of my life.

I've never been able to fully replay 4 or 5.

Last edited:

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know.. I played Spec Op's the line for 5 minutes and knew it was for me..
I played Space Hulk Deathwing for 5 min.. and realized it is a substandard game. Maybe you're on to something here.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
90% of MMORPGs that I tried.

Convolution menus, lifeless dialogs, limited starting abilities, point and click to attack, etc.

5 minutes is an exaggeration though.

OP
OP
Mik317

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro did this to me recently. Watchdogs at one point.
Sekiro is a weird one.

I bounced off the Dark Souls series pretty constantly. Bloodborne came out at a time in which my mental health was suffering and I legit couldn't handle the dark atmosphere and the difficulty. I finally "broke" through with DS3 and again I am enjoying Nioh 2 a lot. But with Sekiro I got to Madame Butterfly and went "yeah I will never be gud enuf to beat this" so I bailed. I watched many playthroughs and nothing I saw changed that opinion.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim did this to me when I tried engaging with the combat in the first proper dungeon I entered. Haven't touched it since. Other games I can give far more of a chance, like a few hours at least but I just knew with that one.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Was a huge fan of Deus Ex HR, but its sequel Mankind Divided...well I stopped playing after the tutorial level. It felt off and distant from what I enjoyed of the first game in a weird way.

OP
OP
Mik317

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. And I think this comes with age and experience. I've played sooooooo many games that I now realize what I actually enjoy playing.

Sometimes I recognize something is so good that I do beat my head against it. Most recently is Dreams. I played for about six or seven hours before realizing that, while an impressive achievement, outside of finding Art's Dream visually impressive and moving at times, I did not enjoy a single thing I experienced in the game. Was really frustrating because I recognize it's a great tool but I don't think people are using it to create great games but rather great visual set pieces, and I can get those somewhere aside from my PlayStation.

Edit: The Witcher 3 is a great one for me as well. I make it through the tutorial and am like, "This feels like fucking garbage to play." Stuff like Breath of the Wild and MGSV have ruined floaty open world games for me.
same.

I played multiple dreams and all of them left me with "this is neat" but thats it.

Oct 27, 2017

The DOOM games are actually an example of the types of games I love now. I regard them as "Gameplay First" experiences, where I can boot up the game and be having an insane amount of fun extremely quickly.

I'm impressed with Hitman 2 at the moment as well on a similar note. The story exposition is there, but the game gives you options to skirt around all the story stuff and jump straight into missions. It feels like an extremely accessible stealth sandbox and I love it.

Basically nowadays I just want games to be a.) mechanically good/fun to play and b.) extremely accessible.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Monster Hunter World did this to me, I played for probably 10 minutes or so and was like ehhhh nahhhh and uninstalled and put it back on the shelf, haven't looked at it since.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Latest example for me is FFXV. It was a nice start; the open world looked cool and the character had quick moment.

But then I experienced the car controls, the showy cutscenes, atrocious English voices and some bugs. I played a bit more than 5 mins but I could pretty easily see that themgame was a big nope for me. (Also, damn that 102GB download.)

I'm usually pretty good at researching what games I will like. But sometimes a title still gets through the "firewall".

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I played maybe an hour at most of World of final fantasy and realised it was not at all what I had hoped. Never went back

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I always try to have an open mind, and give things a fair shake...but Fallout 3/NV/4 are this for me. I love Elder Scrolls, love love love those games. But when I load into Fallout, and the buildings have holes everywhere, they didn't try to make anything look or feel secure at all, it just takes me right out of the world, it's just too stupid to me. Why have 3 bedroom house, and none of the walls are complete, when you could salvage the parts, and make an actually fully sealed in 1 or 2 bedroom. I hate it. Haha.

Oct 30, 2017
I actually can feel this by looking at the game trailers and gameplay videos... that's why I finish every game I buy and even if it had flaws, there will be other things that were for me and made the experience worthy.

Maybe only 3-4 games per generation I mistaken them and then sell them without finishing them.. last one was Sekiro.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The reason I've never gotten into 4X games outside of Civilization is thanks to the massive walls of text they throw at you immediately. Then again that kind of is the game so I've learned to just avoid them, at least until I'm feeling very much in the mood for learning some intricate mechanics. One day, Stellaris, one day.

OP
OP
Mik317

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
lot of MHW mentions.

I still have no clue how my impatient ass got as far into that as I did. Finally wore off tho as fights began to be a drag and I had forgotten so much after a period away

OP
OP
Mik317

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I played maybe an hour at most of World of final fantasy and realised it was not at all what I had hoped. Never went back
that is another one lol.

It might have checked all 3 of the boxes from my OP.

I mean it had everything I like out of games; anime designs, team building, final fantasy but holy shit was I repelled

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Bad voice acting / dialogue that seems like it was written for 14 year old boys - this is usually the kiss of death for me.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Me with FTL the other day. I'm sure it's a fine game, but not what I'm looking for right now.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
The reason I've never gotten into 4X games outside of Civilization is thanks to the massive walls of text they throw at you immediately. Then again that kind of is the game so I've learned to just avoid them, at least until I'm feeling very much in the mood for learning some intricate mechanics. One day, Stellaris, one day.

Heh, Civ is probably my favorite ever franchise and I also couldn't figure out Stellaris in time to keep up with it. Same thing happened with Endless Legends.

I think there is something to be said for Civ, in that even though there's a lot to learn, much of it can be intuited from real-world knowledge. Not so for a lot of Sci-Fi or Fantasy games.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I never had that happen to me. I dunno if I should consider myself lucky or cursed.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Dust: An Elysian Tail. I got this for free on PS+ and pretty much immediately hated everything about it. I think it's the fastest I've ever ditched a game.