• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the pink some of the posters are referring to are the smoke rings.

Otherwise yikes.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I love my sous vide, but it's just not the same when it comes to a brisket. I've tried it a few times.

Forgot to pat the OP on the back. Looks great!
i know its sacrilege, but a point cut rubbed with black peppers and salt in a sous vide bath for 36 hours at 155(put a tiny bit of good liquid smoke in the bag), followed by 2-3 hours in an oven or grill to form a bark, produces some of the best bbq brisket ever. its cheating, but it comes out fucking perfect

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

You don't want rare brisket.

Brisket is filled with connective tissues that are tough as hell when cooked like a steak.

But when you cook it low and slow and get the temperature of the meat to between 180-205 that connective tissue melts and makes the meat tender and delicious.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do not know brisket, but I do love it rare and pink.
Just bite into a wet juicy pink glob of fat with strings of protein as the juices guzzle down your throat

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
brisket is the baked potato of smoked meats

6e1abcb55bcb5bd98395d29289646ffa--how-to-bake-potatoes-baked-potatoes.jpg

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Era eating everything rare some dumb inside joke now?

Who the hell eats brisket rare?

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Are people confusing corned beef with straight, uncured brisket? What the fuck is going on in this thread?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Smoking meat looks generally easy to do. Makes me want to get one

Depends on what type of smoker you have. Some people disparage electric smokers but they are indeed very easy to use. You just have to add wood chips a couple of times at the start, maybe add water about halfway through your cook, but a hell of a lot easier than wood or charcoal smokers.

I've got this one and it works great for me.

I do not know brisket, but I do love it rare and pink.
Just bite into a wet juicy pink glob of fat with strings of protein as the juices guzzle down your throat

If you bit into a rare piece of brisket you would have trouble even tearing a piece off with your teeth, much less having juices guzzle down your throat.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Depends on what type of smoker you have. Some people disparage electric smokers but they are indeed very easy to use. You just have to add wood chips a couple of times at the start, maybe add water about halfway through your cook, but a hell of a lot easier than wood or charcoal smokers.

I've got this one and it works great for me.

If you bit into a rare piece of brisket you would have trouble even tearing a piece off with your teeth, much less having juices guzzle down your throat.

I can't speak as to how easy others are, but I can confirm smoking on my charcoal grill with a smoking attachment is a full time job.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
there is a local bbq place near me that smokes their brisket low and slow, and they sell it in huge slices with a big hunk of fat attacked

when im lazy i go there

Oct 26, 2017
When you talk big shit about how bad U.S BBQ's are. And insinuate how good your food is. You better deliver lol.

I imagine his food was awesome, just really poor picture and the plain rice, was a perfect setup for a thread backfire. It was 100% a Italian food thread.
I also think he was moreso going after a family bbq (aka backyard grilling) versus actual southern smoked bbq.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
lobster used to be really cheap and considered "poor person" food

but then it got really popular and posh and expensive

now its kinda in the middle

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Brisket is still fairly cheap to buy many places uncooked, but the cost in time to cook it right makes it expensive to buy prepared.
True. Makes sense when you usually need 10+ hours. I see them all the time in my grocer, but no way I can dedicate to cooking one properly.

Alas, I'll have to pay $7 per half pound for a good one at a smoker....

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
googling the class status of lobster consumers through the years just makes me want to have a seafood boil

but having a big seafood boil seems more like a fall occasion

Nov 23, 2017
I can't speak as to how easy others are, but I can confirm smoking on my charcoal grill with a smoking attachment is a full time job.
Really? I had plenty of success smoking meats in my weber grill with a snake ring. Got a good 10 hours with one go. I could usually let it go overnight without a fuss. Now, getting a whole brisket in one was not going to happen.

Or maybe I just love cooking too much to be bothered by it.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I had plenty of success smoking meats in my weber grill with a snake ring. Got a good 10 hours with one go. I could usually let it go overnight without a fuss. Now, getting a whole brisket in one was not going to happen.

Or maybe I just love cooking too much to be bothered by it.

Yeah a well made snake ring, and a water pan work great in a kettle. Until I got a WSM that's what I did. It was fantastic for stuff like ribs, pulled pork, and tri tip. Though I didn't have much success with brisket in it, a whole packer just takes up too much space and is always too close to the heat source.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you are very confused. Yes, please get your steak medium rare. No, do not get your brisket medium rare. I'm guessing many of your are confusing the pink of a smoke ring with it being medium rare?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a well made snake ring, and a water pan work great in a kettle. Until I got a WSM that's what I did. It was fantastic for stuff like ribs, pulled pork, and tri tip. Though I didn't have much success with brisket in it, a whole packer just takes up too much space and is always too close to the heat source.

So this thread has inspired me. I only have a Weber kettle and have been successful smoking ribs before, but would a brisket be too difficult in it?

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
googling the class status of lobster consumers through the years just makes me want to have a seafood boil

but having a big seafood boil seems more like a fall occasion
lobster feels kind of summery imo. dudes selling lobsters off the back of their boats some places here in MA during the summer and I wanna do a boil with some corn and mussels so bad

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, yeah. I plan on doing an all day thing one of the weekends in July. Are there any good resources on how to go about doing it? Any good youtube videos?

If you've done ribs I would just follow the same method in terms of temperature control and flow. The only thing you might need to do is keep it fed in some way, which if you have to do that remember to light the coals seperate. Throwing a lump or two on the fire could cause the thick white smoke you don't want.

I've only done brisket once, and failed, but have friends who cooked it a lot. The thing is just being patient and remembering you're going to want to push 203 or higher on it. Try to buy a whole packer as most places sell just flats and man, you don't wanna waste 15+ hours on just a flat.

I'm personally a big fan of KISS bbq: salt, pepper, mustard to help bark, and just the heat to cook it. I never got too caught up in crazy spice mixtures or alternating wood smoke for flavor profiles. My favorite spice rub was just salt, pepper, rosemary, brown sugar, and paprika which is still pretty basic & straight forward. I try to just let the cut of meat speak for itself and even with sauce I prefer pretty basic of just a vinegar Carolina style or if I do a BBQ sauce it's SUPER thin and just to give some gentle flavor.