• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
Darkseid is better, his sidekicks are better, his powers are better. So on and so forth..

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
darkseid-is-01.jpg

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanos don't want to rule shit, he just wants to kill everything, which makes sense because he is literally the avatar of Death.

But I prefer Thanos, and not even for him as much as I prefer the characters and stories surrounding him, just re-read Starlins 70's Warlock run with Thanos, Adam, Gamora, and Pip the Troll vs the Magus and the church of universal truth and that alone makes him better to me.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
easily darkseid. marvel did an amazing job with mr. bubbles and I don't see DC getting Darkseid right in film in my lifetime but he's still the man.

(batman should not have dodged his beams however, i'm still salty about that...)

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Thanos literally has an arc named "Thanos Wins". And he does win. Constantly. He has repeatedly outwitted and outmuscled the MU, and only loses because he gets bored and self-destructs.

b6d9207e40a8ff160328618337e23c91.jpg

In the current Jim Starlin OGNs, he has killed and absorbed every fundamental force in the universe, traveled back in time, had his past self do the same thing, and then his future self and his past self merged, doubling their already incalculable power.

RCO096.jpg

This is the answer. Thanos has greater accomplishments and MUCH higher highs than Darkseid does.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Hardly anyone knew who Superman was before Man of Steel.

Of all the dumb statements I've seen on this website, this is one of the dumbest.

Superman_ver1.jpg

Superman 1978 grossed $300M worldwide. In 2019 Money that's roughly equivalent to $1.1 Billion Dollars. Without 3D, Imax, or a Chinese Box office to inflate totals.

Not enough?

Superman was nominated for three Academy Awards (Best Film Editing – (Stuart Baird), Best Original Score – (John Williams) and Best Sound – (Gordon K. McCallum, Graham V. Hartstone, Nicolas Le Messurier and Roy Charman))[83] and received a Special Achievement Academy Award for its visual effects. Donner publicly expressed disgust that production designer John Barry and cinematographer Geoffrey Unsworth had not been recognized by the Academy.[23]

Superman was successful at the 32nd British Academy Film Awards. Reeve won Best Newcomer, while Hackman, Unsworth, Barry, and the sound designers earned nominations.[citation needed] The film won the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation.[citation needed] At the Saturn Awards, Kidder, Barry, John Williams, and the visual effects department received awards, and the film won Best Science Fiction Film. Reeve, Hackman, Donner, Valerie Perrine, and costume designer Yvonne Blake were nominated for their work as well.[citation needed] In addition, Williams was nominated at the 36th Golden Globe Awards and won the Grammy Award for Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media.[citation needed] In 2007, the Visual Effects Society listed Superman as the 44th-most influential use of visual effects of all time.[84] In 2008, Empire magazine named it the 174th-greatest film of all time on its list of 500.[85] In 2009, Entertainment Weekly ranked Superman 3rd on their list of The All-Time Coolest Heroes in Pop Culture.[86]

It went in production before Star Wars (1977) and Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) and with those two is credited with inventing the modern sci fi blockbuster.

THAT film also spun off FIVE DIRECT SEQUELS

Superman II
Supergirl
Superman III
Superman IV
Superman Returns (which was inexplicably a sequel to Superman II that ignored III and IV).

You'd have to be ten years old To say something like "no one knew who superman was before Man of Steel."

Last edited:

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Thanos is at his worst when people try to make him an overlord so by that metric Darkseid completely takes it.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For as tough as people try and make Darkseid, he still gets his shit pushed in way too easily.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the dumb statements I've seen on this website, this is one of the dumbest.

Superman_ver1.jpg

Superman 1978 grossed $300M worldwide. In 2019 Money that's roughly equivalent to $1.1 Billion Dollars. Without 3D, Imax, or a Chinese Box office to inflate totals.

Not enough?

It went in production before Star Wars (1977) and Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) and with those two is credited with inventing the modern sci fi blockbuster.

THAT film also spun off FIVE DIRECT SEQUELS

Superman II
Supergirl
Superman III
Superman IV
Superman Returns (which was inexplicably a sequel to Superman II that ignored III and IV).

You'd have to be ten years old To say something like "no one knew who superman was before Man of Steel."
Lol.... some of you take statements on this forum far too seriously.

My apologies then. I've seen some wild claims by comic fans online that have shocked me by how wrong they are. I don't even know why i'm defending Superman, I don't even like him outside of Darkseid lol.
It's okay, it's on me knowing full well the kind of claims that get made here sometimes :p

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Darkside was those cool eye beams

I mean, I know Thanos better now thanks to the MCU. But before that, I just remembered Darkseid for his crazy eye beams. THEY CAN ZIG ZAG AND GO IN ANY DIRECTION. He seemed to use them to great effect in any of the animated stuff I watched that featured him. Thanos is crazy strong, but those eye beams are just so damn cool.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Darkseid.

The more I learned about who Darkseid is I realize I'm learning more about what Darkseid is.

Darkseid is the essence of all that is wrong in the DC multiverse. Darkseid actually won the eternal struggle and didn't get bored with it like Thanos did and stopped being a multiversal god.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Comic Darkseid>Comic Thanos, though I prefer Thanos

Movie Thanos shits on both. Darkseid has already lost that battle, New Gods would have to focus on Darkseid entirely to give him a chance in that realm

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Darkseid is a god.

Are the Earth gods like Zeus an offshoot of the same "Old gods" that Darkseid and Highfather came from?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Does Apocalypse measure in here somewhere?

I honestly used to get all three of those guys confused because they had somewhat similar designs while also typically being "the big bad"

And before then I didn't know who Thanos was and would confuse Darkseid with Apocalypse.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
616 thanos is a nihilist while mcu thanos is an 'eco-terrorist'?

Darksied is just 'muhaha..me overlord, me should rule the universe. Me also love math and the math told me to rule the universe'.

Answer is Thanos

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Thanos: gets punked by an addled fuckup billionaire manchild in armor who steals his chaos emeralds without him noticing. said manchild can't think of a good witty one liner so he just stammers "duhhh i'm iron man" like a pokemon. pathetic way to die, and he already died once before in the same movie because a bellowing bearded baby man threw a tantrum

Darkseid: gets shot by Batman with a god killing bullet, while Batman has to explicitly say "yes I'm Batman and I don't use guns as a central point of my character but you're just that evil and powerful that I have to" and then Batman goes "gotcha" as he's about to be killed/sent back through time by reality warping eyebeams. incredibly badass way to die, shot by batman

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Darkseid: gets shot by Batman with a god killing bullet, while Batman has to explicitly say "yes I'm Batman and I don't use guns as a central point of my character but you're just that evil and powerful that I have to" and then Batman goes "gotcha" as he's about to be killed/sent back through time by reality warping eyebeams. incredibly badass way to die
Also, he survived that.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
His name is pronounced "darkside" and he comes from a planet/city called "apocalypse". I'll give it to Thanos for being less campy.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Im note a fan of DC but it's definitely Darkseid.

Thanos couldnt care less about being a warlord, he just wants love!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I still think it's tragic he gets top billed over Sinister, even Claremont's original Sinister is a spoiled brat version is better than apocalypse.
Poccy's origin has him as a bronze age thug that literally fell into space god trash. He always acted like he was smarter than he really was. ANd seems like most writers write him like that, intentional or unintentional.