• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
I just wanted to open this thread to say Focus Home Interactive THANK YOU. Thank you for being one of the few publishers that has really taken risks this gen. Thank you for bringing us mature stories as Vampyr's. Thank you for not being as coward as big publishers and releasing Call of Cthulhu next to Red Dead Redemption 2. Thank you for making A Plague Tale: Innocence one of the best games this year. And thank you for showing BioWare and EA what GreedFall is and what people exactly want.

I'm really excited for next gen and what Focus Home Interactive will bring.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to open this thread to say Focus Home Interactive THANK YOU. Thank you for being one of the few publishers that has really taken risks this gen. Thank you for bringing us mature stories as Vampyr's. Thank you for not being as coward as big publishers and releasing Call of Cthulhu next to Red Dead Redemption 2. Thank you for making A Plague Tale: Innocence one of the best games this year. And thank you for showing BioWare and EA what GreedFall is and what people exactly want.

I'm really excited for next gen and what Focus Home Interactive will bring.
I agree with everything, they're great.... but...

Thank you for not being as coward as big publishers and releasing Call of Cthulhu next to Red Dead Redemption 2.

I mean, I'm not sure that was the best choice lol

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
A Plague Tale was really nice and GreedFall is shaping up to be quite intruiging from what I`ve played so far. And of course there`s The Surge 2...
So yeah: thank you, Focus!

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Vampyr. I've just finished A Plague Tale and it was great. Really looking forward to playing Greedfall. It's really refreshing to see a publisher taking those risks and seeing it paid off.

Oct 25, 2017
Easily my favorite western publisher, currently. 505 is getting there as well, Control and Bloodstained are AMAZING.

My GOTY 2018 was Focus Home, two of my top three 2019 so far are 505. They're doing great work.

Super excited to see their new game with the team behind Vampyr, in the future. That art was dope.

OP
OP
Tsubasa

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
Easily my favorite western publisher, currently. 505 is getting there as well, Control and Bloodstained are AMAZING.

My GOTY 2018 was Focus Home, two of my top three 2019 so far are 505. They're doing great work.

Super excited to see their new game with the team behind Vampyr, in the future. That art was dope.

Bloodstained was insane. What were publishers thinking when they said no to Igarashi?? :__D

Mi 2018 GOTY was Call of Cthulhu. I know it was not the best game, but the atmosphere, the endings, everything. It just trapped me.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played many of their games but completely agree! Refreshing to see a publisher pushing for original content, even if it's not up to the big league yet. We need more like them and hope their investment is being worth

(Also, op, nice thread, it's good to see something optimistic and with good intentions for a change)

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
They handle a pretty crazy variety of titles. Farming Simulator, which I really got into mostly because I grew up on a farm and wanted to see how they adapted it...and now it's a legit esports title.

World War Z, A Plague Tale: Innocence, The Surge, Greedfall, Vampyr, Insurgency: Sandstorm, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2, Mudrunner, Call of Cthulhu, Space Hulk: Tactics, The Council, Fear the Wolves, Styx, The Technomancer... These days if there's a game that makes you say 'that's a cool idea' it's probably got Focus Home Interactive on the box.

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodstained was insane. What were publishers thinking when they said no to Igarashi?? :__D

Mi 2018 GOTY was Call of Cthulhu. I know it was not the best game, but the atmosphere, the endings, everything. It just trapped me.
Mine was Vampyr, but I really liked Call of Cthulhu as well! The endings definitely stuck with me, and all of the revelations when the plot starts to come together were super neat.

The main voice actor definitely helped. God, I love his voice.

Capricorn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also a big THANK YOU for relasing both Vampyr and Call of Cthulhu on the Nintendo Switch, will definitely grab them there (provided the ports are halfway decent, ofc). Can't wait to check them out!

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
One of my favorite publishers today. They are giving us games that most other publishers won't anymore. I've enjoyed the heck out of A Plague Tale, Vampyr, Call of Cthulhu, The Council, The Surge, World War Z, Sytx, and soon GreedFall and The Surge 2. Keep up the great work Focus Home Team. You have my trust.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Vampyr, I really liked Plague Tale and I'm about to start GreedFall. I hope that there will be sequels to the first two because if the developers get more time and money to flesh out the basic constructs they created for the first game then it could become something truly special. Plague Tale is definitely already on my GotY list though.

OP
OP
Tsubasa

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
Mine was Vampyr, but I really liked Call of Cthulhu as well! The endings definitely stuck with me, and all of the revelations when the plot starts to come together were super neat.

The main voice actor definitely helped. God, I love his voice.

I think it was Reid's voice too! This guy deserves a thread.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I largely agree with you OP.

Vampyr was almost my GOTY (beaten just slightly by MH World) last year, very underrated game.

A Plague Tale is also gonna be a runner-up this year (Sekiro will take this though, sorry, not a fair competition for me ;)). I would easily recommend it to fans of The Last of Us (yes, really).

Greedfall looks interesting and I will probably pick it up at some point too.

Styx was, despite its jank and low performance on consoles, an excellent stealth game full of originality, the likes of which aren't really made anymore.

The Sherlock Holmes games are also solid detective adventure games. Crimes & Punishments deserves more recognition there.

OP
OP
Tsubasa

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
Haven't played many of their games but completely agree! Refreshing to see a publisher pushing for original content, even if it's not up to the big league yet. We need more like them and hope their investment is being worth

(Also, op, nice thread, it's good to see something optimistic and with good intentions for a change)

I feel this gen most important publishers have forgotten about mature and original games. So they're like a breath of fresh air. Please, big publishers, take more risks next gen!

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I've stayed away from Plague Tale gameplay for a long while because I still want to buy it but have a few other games to cross out of my purchase list first. It really is one of the more interesting games story/setting wise to kick around in a long time. I've seen a lot of the let's players I follow on YT give it full runthroughs so I'm glad it's getting more and more exposure. Hopefully FHI gets to keep giving space to games like it. At least on the path their on now, if they do chase trends and announce a Battle Royale I can be sure it's probably going to be different enough from the rest of the oversaturated market to be worth paying attention too.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Agreed.

Question, though. Do they own any of these developers? I know Spiders (Greedfall) was just bought by BigBen. I'm wondering if there has been a missed opportunity here to go bigger and integrate their possible talent pipeline. Instead I'm concerned for them that someone else will do it.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
hardly any first-person games give me motion sickness, but, unfortunately, call of cthulhu is one of them...

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Focus is by far the most interesting publisher out there right now. Each game they back has at least one novel idea/mechanic, and they try real hard to give us unique settings.

I'm not into everything they do (multi-player focused titles like Word War Z or Insurgency aren't my thing, and neither are farming sims or racers), but I respect them a ton for continuing to offer variety.

Stoked to see what DontNod, Asobo, Deck 13 and StreumOn are cooking up next for them.

Edit: in general, these days if there's a game I'm likely to get the week it launches, chances are usually good it's a Focus-published title.

OP
OP
Tsubasa

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
I largely agree with you OP.

Vampyr was almost my GOTY (beaten just slightly by MH World) last year, very underrated game.

A Plague Tale is also gonna be a runner-up this year (Sekiro will take this though, sorry, not a fair competition for me ;)). I would easily recommend it to fans of The Last of Us (yes, really).

Greedfall looks interesting and I will probably pick it up at some point too.

Styx was, despite its jank and low performance on consoles, an excellent stealth game full of originality, the likes of which aren't really made anymore.

The Sherlock Holmes games are also solid detective adventure games. Crimes & Punishments deserves more recognition there.

Vampyr was incredible. It was a shame it's release was near E3, but it was so good. I remember people on Dscord so excited and talking about watching all kind of vampire movies, just to be on the mood until the release. It was a great time.

OP
OP
Tsubasa

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
I enjoyed Vampyr, I really liked Plague Tale and I'm about to start GreedFall. I hope that there will be sequels to the first two because if the developers get more time and money to flesh out the basic constructs they created for the first game then it could become something truly special. Plague Tale is definitely already on my GotY list though.

I think Dontnod and Asobo are currently developping new games with Focus, but I'm not completely sure. They were on last Focus event I think.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Bloodstained and Control were both pretty awesome so Focus has my attention for whatever they publish next.

OP
OP
Tsubasa

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
Agreed.

Question, though. Do they own any of these developers? I know Spiders (Greedfall) was just bought by BigBen. I'm wondering if there has been a missed opportunity here to go bigger and integrate their possible talent pipeline. Instead I'm concerned for them that someone else will do it.

I think not. BigBen also bought Cyanide, but Focus owns Chaosium rights (where Call of Cthulhu is). So my gues is they're developping more of that, but without Cyanide.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'd like to thank them for putting some of their current gen games on switch as well, i hope the ports end up being successful.

Velociraptom

Product Manager at Focus Home Interactive
Verified
Jan 18, 2018
Thanks for the love everyone.

In case you missed it, earlier this year we also teased a bunch (but by no means everything) of what's still to come for the future. Wild speculation encouraged!

tGvIU8I.jpg

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Signed (although I wouldn't call them cowards...)

A Plague Tale is still the frontrunner for my GOTY and I can't wait to dig into GreedFall.

OP
OP
Tsubasa

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
Signed (although I wouldn't call them cowards...)

A Plague Tale is still the frontrunner for my GOTY and I can't wait to dig into GreedFall.

On the contrary, they were the only ones who didn't back off just for RDR2 release. And Call of Cthulhu was my GOTY, so I was really happy.