• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Preface:
April 21, 2012 - While on duty, police officer, I was with some run-a-way kids. While talking with them on the side of the road, a car veered off the road and I had a split second decision to make. I pushed the kid closest to me out of the way and I was hit by the car. I suffered a lot of injuries, but the brain injury was the worst. Died several times before getting to the hospital via helicopter. Doctor and the teams were able to save me. My traumatic brain injury has a life long effect. I no longer can form new memories, and cognition is iffy. I write as much down as I can each day, and have routines do go through each day. Fast forward to April this year. I had a really bad episode and thought it was time to end my life. I reached out by posting a thread. Members replied, and staff took action. I can't really go into details, but I promise everyone involved helped save my life.

To the staff:
I know I said it already in private, but if you would please tell everyone that I greatly appreciate the help that was given. Reading over my notes brought me back to going over this. I'm all teary eyed right now. I know the staff gets a kick in the teeth so to speak from the members at times. I'm also not the most popular guy around being an ex-cop and all, and having faults of my own even after retirement. That being said, I hope everyone knows how much I appreciate all the help you all try to bring to the community. There are so many different facets of life coming at ya'll every day and you can't please everyone all the time, but I know ya'll try your best.

To the entire community (staff and members):
Deep down, I truly believe your help saved my life, this also goes for the members that saw the thread and replied. It shows that ya'll care, and that probably was what I needed at that time. I'll never remember what set me off that night. I have good days, and I have bad days. Sometimes the days are the worst. The place has helped me grow as a person.

Last edited:

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad you're doing better! I empathize with what you're going through, and life is absolutely a lot of ups and downs. Proud of you for keeping on keeping on.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Hopefully you never have to deal with days like that again and it's a lot better for you.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading through that thread about your accident, dude I'm so glad to see where you're at right now. Also, it sounds like you were an amazing cop - I'm glad we had one good one, at least.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I'm glad to hear you're doing better and that you've found the community to be helpful. Keep taking good care of yourself, please.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Glad to have someone as selfless as you here, and i hope you back by if you ever feel like that way again. We are here for you!

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Thank you for writing this, it's good too know that this community can be of help in these situations. I'm really happy you were able to turn things around.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome to read. People complain about this place and need reminders of what a supportive community it's capable of being.

and it sounds like you saved that kids life in a much more direct way, so thank you for being there for them.

OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for sharing your experience, I am glad you're here. Do you bookmark posts that you want to remember?
Absolutely lol. Watched Threads is the best feature for me here lol.

Also, thanks a bunch for all the support everyone. I do appreciate it a ton, but I want to direct that support for all the work the staff does here, as well as the community members that just want to help others. It's a blessing.

That's awesome to read. People complain about this place and need reminders of what a supportive community it's capable of being.

and it sounds like you saved that kids life in a much more direct way, so thank you for being there for them.
My vest saved my body from being crushed from the initial blow. That kid would have been dead instantly.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Hey man, community can happen anywhere, I'm glad community was able to happen here for you. We care about you.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to try to help others on here, but I'm not certain how. When I see threads posted on here from people who needs help, I'm uncertain what to post in those threads.

I'm glad to see that our community was able to help you out F34R and save you from ending your life. It's awesome that you were able to save that kid from being hit by that car and happy to read that you were able to survive being hit by the car.

It's also awesome to see that we are able to help you with your personal growth as well.

Oct 27, 2017
So glad you're still here, F34R.

Sometimes we lose sight of what's important, especially in internet based communities where petty squabbles and arguments rue the day but are so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. It's always good to hear when a positive impact can be made and it helps somebody in a tangible way.

You fought like hell to survive the accident and continue to fight to stay here and be with those who love and care about you... I can't begin to imagine the struggles and obstacles you'll continue to face but hopefully you have a great support group of friends and family to help you through and won't hesitate to reach out for help again if you need support in the future as well. You selflessly put yourself in harm's way to save that kid's life and that alone is more than any of us will accomplish throughout our lives.

FirMatt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boston MA
I'm so so so so proud of you for sticking it out. Fighting every fibre of your being, to will yourself to keep living in the face of everything your mind is/isn't shouting at you... That takes monumental strength. Please know that while we helped, it was YOU who was brave in the end. It's YOU that stepped up and saved yourself. I'm just so glad we could be here to help. If you ever need to talk, I have a background in Psychology and would love to PM.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm really glad to hear that. Good you on you for having the strength to reach out. That's not easy, so you should be proud of yourself that you were able to get past that dark moment. And now you know there's a whole community you can talk to whenever you need it.

OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the late reply. I took a nap. :) Thanks again for all the support. Making me cry and stuff, from the heart.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
Very touched to hear this, man. You are a true hero, seriously, you made a very brave decision there. Your story is really inspiring, thanks a bunch for sharing this! All the best to you :)

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear. I remember you from the old place and have often valued your perspective on things. I didn't realize that you were in such a tough place a few months ago, but I'm glad to hear that you're doing much better.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Absolutely lol. Watched Threads is the best feature for me here lol.

Also, thanks a bunch for all the support everyone. I do appreciate it a ton, but I want to direct that support for all the work the staff does here, as well as the community members that just want to help others. It's a blessing.

My vest saved my body from being crushed from the initial blow. That kid would have been dead instantly.

You're a hero who saved a kid's life. You'll always be that for that action.

OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear. I remember you from the old place and have often valued your perspective on things. I didn't realize that you were in such a tough place a few months ago, but I'm glad to hear that you're doing much better.
I'm in a tough place every morning when I wake up. I fight this every morning. :( It's hard, it really is. Think of 50 First Dates when she finds out about it. That's me every day unfortunately. I have two friends in real life I know I can reach out to, family, and this place. That's what keeps me ahead of it.

Apple_Sours

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
This is some wholesome news, good job Reset staff and community. Glad you're still with us OP.
Stay strong king.