• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which film did you prefer ?

• The Force Awakens

Votes: 94 46.8%
  • The Last Jedi

Votes: 107 53.2%

• Total voters

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Poll season ! Since JJ is coming back it will be interesting to see where people stand before TROS.

Which was the better movie / Which movie did you prefer ?

THE FORCE AWAKENS

home.gif

0fcdd612f85c3222f2fba76a1392163b.gif
gif-rey-star-wars-the-force-awakens-Favim.com-3788292.gif

f17c2320-9147-0133-395e-06e18a8a4ae5.gif

A derivative movie that managed to bring the magic back despite its faults, introducing a brilliant cast and some visually stunning moments.
The film ends on a cliffhanger, with a lot of mysteries waiting to be unraveled.
Fans were very positive at release but some have grown a bit more critical overtime.

THE LAST JEDI

7310204.gif

source.gif

8c4911f38fe8a14dac04fe837cd9dc9d.gif
UnrealisticMinorBorer-size_restricted.gif

The Last Jedi continues right where TFA ended.
It offers some incredible cinematography, and expands the cast a little with some cool characters.
The performances remain stellar.
But some controversial story developments have left the fanbase divided, with some praising its bold choices and others feeling like it hurt the overall story and characters.

1373897141_tumblr_m06eowverb1qg10guo1_500.gif

Choose your Destiny

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Force Awakens was the movie that made me go "hey maybe Star Wars isn't that bad after all"
The Last Jedi was the movie that made me go "oh wait I remember why I never liked this in the first place"

TFA wins!

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
TLJ has way higher highs but also way lower lows. I also think TFA is better constructed as a film even if it's missing the mysticism/spirtuality of Star Wars.

I don't know. They're both super flawed films but in different ways.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like Star Wars

For real though, these threads are getting crazy.
TLJ really broke some people

m23

Oct 25, 2017
TFA for me.

Also, what's going on in that gif? Did her one kick hit all 3 at once?

7310204.gif

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
That's a tougher one. Love 'em both. I saw TFA 13 times in the theater. I was running on pure hype for a solid week after it came out. It got to the point where I just liked to sit with audiences as they watched and reacted and I had a lot of time off for the holidays. It was like a warm fire.

On the other hand, I only went to TLJ 3 times. I had a baby between films, so that is a major factor, but I also think TFA was a fresher and more exciting ride. The way it moved made it hard to reflect and process in real time, which made it more rewatachable I think.

However, my feelings for TLJ have grown much, MUCH stronger. It is a more deeply fulfilling film. It is gorgeous to look at. It showed me what Star Wars could be and it made it hard to go back. So I think I have to go with TLJ ultimately.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Reusing so much of ANH for TFA is an embarrassment.

However, TLJ has Canto Bight.

This is tough for me.

Also, there are wayyyyy too many threads that are secretly "TLJ isn't that bad, right?!" Stop being so damn insecure about your feelings for this movie.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I wish people would stop showing gifs of the throne room fight from TLJ, it makes me realize how awful it's choreographed and executed. Some of that is worse than all the jokes made about the prequel lightsaber duels.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
TFA. Better characterizations, more memorable action, way better pacing. It actually leaves you hopeful for the future of Star Wars.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Force Awakens way more than Last Jedi, although both movies have fairly major issues.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I wish people would stop showing gifs of the throne room fight from TLJ, it makes me realize how awful it's choreographed and executed. Some of that is worse than all the jokes made about the prequel lightsaber duels.
Literally the first thing I thought of when I saw that gif (haven't seen TLJ).

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
How many different threads and different ways do we need for people to say how much they dislike The Last Jedi? It's exhausting.

Anyway, I prefer The Force Awakens because it came out during the right time in my life and I completely loved it then and there.
The Last Jedi I also love, but it didn't resonate quite the same way with me.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
both are very meh but for wildly different reasons so i guess thats interesting

also at this point ERA feels like George Costanza, every decision that it collectively comes up with, the general public is probably the opposite

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Last Jedi did more interesting things, was more affecting and had better visuals.

TFA had less of the goofy shit like the "yo momma" joke and the silly Rose/Finn romance subplot but also played it incredibly safe and pandering with its plot.

TLJ is an 8/10, TFA is a strong 7/10.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
also sorry, but the op is loaded as fuck.

those scenes cherry pickered for maximum fuckery for TLJ

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Having just re-watched TLJ my criticism has softened somewhat, but the movie is still filled with useless scenes (they really didn't know what to do with Poe and Finn). TFA was felt perhaps overly familiar, but I feel it works better on the whole. So that.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
They tried to accomplish different things.

TFA is a solidly made, consistent film, but it's a complete rehash of older material.

TLJ is kind of a messy movie, with high highs and low lows, but it actually tries to do some interesting stuff. It doesn't all work 100 percent of the time, but when it does land (Luke, Rey, and Kylo's story in particular) it really lands for me.

I gave it to TLJ just because I prefer it personally.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
How many different threads and different ways do we need for people to say how much they dislike The Last Jedi? It's exhausting.
I don't even like Last Jedi that much and I agree with you on this, it's exhausting watching people try to find any avenue they can to bring the movie down.

I think we're well past the point where we need to start putting some kind of limit on how many Star Wars threads we can get posted on Era OT in a day.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
They tried to accomplish different things.

TFA is a solidly made, consistent film, but it's a complete rehash of older material.

TLJ is kind of a messy movie, with high highs and low lows, but it actually tries to do some interesting stuff. It doesn't all work 100 percent of the time, but when it does land (Luke, Rey, and Kylo's story in particular) it really lands for me.

I gave it to TLJ just because I prefer it personally.
Pretty much mirrors my feelings on the two movies.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to pick honestly. I think TLJ has higher highs but lower lows. TFA is a more consistent and better paced movie, and one that (at the time, anyway) set up an exciting premise for future movies, but it was almost insultingly derivative in the process.

If I had to pick I would say TLJ, but I'm honestly not a huge fan of either one.

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed both but I'll give the nod to Last Jedi for being bold and taking risks with such a big IP, for having stronger character moments, and for emotional resonance.

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
TFA by far for me. Even though it was derivative, I enjoyed Finn and Rey and wanted more Poe afterwards. After TLJ wanted to subvert my expectations of rooting for them, I'm not interested in ROS.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
can we please create a seperate star wars subforum already. there is no reason we only have to have 4 subforums

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
TFA for sure. I love Rian's other work but I just felt so indifferent about TLJ. I don't have any dislike for it but it's a movie I have no desire to watch again. As for TFA, they drew too heavily on the original trilogy but it's a fun movie and it left me excited for the sequels after seeing it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holdos slow, nonsensical two hour crawl through space or Han being Han? TFA >>> trash >>> TLJ.

Bring it back home JJ.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Am I getting deja vu or did someone else create a VERY similar thread to this earlier today or maybe yesterday?

How many opinions on Star Wars am I going to have to give this week?

There must be more than a dozen dumb Star Wars related threads created today alone. This shit is getting ridiculous. My ignore button is getting a serious workout.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Can't the admins make a Star Wars sub forum or something to contain these threads?

Edit: sub forum hive mind, lol.

Also I like how the OP puts the worst GIFs he can finds for TLJ just to be a disingenuous shit about it.