• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that a movie like L'Evènement is that accurate about what's going on in Texas when it's about what women when through in the 60's. Literal regression.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
So bail for abortion is 500k in Texas, I honestly wonder what bail is in Texas for actual Murder?

Surely I'd they are posturing abortion as murder, the bail would be the exact same right?

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking vile. You really need to flee from these states as a woman.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't even know what to say. We've known this was coming but it is still vile to read about. Fuck these religious dummies.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
It seems FronteraFund bailed her out of jail

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully she can use the funds raised to get out of the shithole country she lives in.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This is the system working as intended. If she was white you know she wouldn't have been charged in the first place. If she was wealthy she would have been fine paying for an abortion. It's middle and lower class women of colour who will face the full force of these laws.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't she able to, from the recent SC ruling, sue the arresting police officers for damages and everything else?

Also, yeah, they are extremely afraid of this going to any real court. Fuck these pieces of shit.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

Awful and backwards as fuck.

"Charge, arrest, and jail now with a ridiculous bond amount. Maybe think later." - Talibangicals

It is awful and backwards but let's not pretend that charging, arresting, then jailing for large bond amounts is limited to the GOP and Conservative counties. It happens all the time in Dem cities and counties including Starr County. It's a huge problem throughout the US.

Last edited:

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
This is so backwards and awful- right wingers and their religious crusades is fucking nuts in the U.S

Can we get Abbot and the GOP arrested for trying to abort democracy?

Indurian

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so now that the charges are drop as this is not a criminal matter. Are the charges then false and she has free reign to sue the officers involved in the arrest as the Supreme Court recently ruled?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Something feels off about this whole story and hoping we get more clarity; wouldn't be surprised if its the usual prosecutorial overreach for a re-election bid or something because this quick a retreat after going semi-viral is odd when they usually double or triple down.

Like someone said above, this was probably an 'imperfect' case to take down Roe X Wade and they wanna wait for a better chance, or feared that an actual full frontal attack before midterms could go the opposite way as opposed to sneak state level attacks

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Okay so now that the charges are drop as this is not a criminal matter. Are the charges then false and she has free reign to sue the officers involved in the arrest as the Supreme Court recently ruled?

Charges being dropped doesn't inherently make them false. In this case, they likely are but the officers still may be protected by qualified immunity if sued.

Something feels off about this whole story and hoping we get more clarity; wouldn't be surprised if its the usual prosecutorial overreach for a re-election bid or something because this quick a retreat after going semi-viral is odd when they usually double or triple down.

Like someone said above, this was probably an 'imperfect' case to take down Roe X Wade and they wanna wait for a better chance, or feared that an actual full frontal attack before midterms could go the opposite way as opposed to sneak state level attacks

I don't see why this case would be used to overturn Roe or Casey. Conservatives already have the Mississippi case being decided which will likely gut Roe and Casey.

Indurian

Oct 27, 2017
Charges being dropped doesn't inherently make them false. In this case, they likely are but the officers still may be protected by qualified immunity if sued.
The case I'm thinking of involved the 4th amendment and charges filed that were later dropped. SCOTUS determined the guy affirmed his innocence and the prosecution didn't end in conviction so qualified immunity protections were not valid in the case.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
The case I'm thinking of involved the 4th amendment and charges filed that were later dropped. SCOTUS determined the guy affirmed his innocence and the prosecution didn't end in conviction so qualified immunity protections were not valid in the case.

That's not what the case said. It said the case can continue but that qualified immunity may still protect officers.

And requiring a plaintiff to show that his prosecution ended with an affirmative indication of innocence is not necessary to protect officers from unwarranted civil suits, as officers are still protected by the requirement that the plaintiff show the absence of probable cause and by qualified immunity.

Oct 25, 2017
America Era… your country is grade A fucked up. Jesus Murphy. Shit is vile. Insane how emboldened these politicians are too now that they know courts will likely back them up to the breaking point.

Indurian

Oct 27, 2017

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Oof, you're right. I just don't see how qualified immunity would protect the officers if the charges were demonstrably false and malicious.

Because that's the point of qualified immunity. Legal scholars and such can talk about how it's to prevent harassment of police but it's so they can do whatever they want without real consequences.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
There's probably a lawsuit in there somewhere, since there's no actual law that covers this type of "murder". They arrested and detained her for something they literally just made up.

And the other fucked up thing is that they actually got a grand jury indictment out of it. That's the kind of people we have on grand juries around here, apparently, are the kinds that don't ask if the charge is even real before legitimizing it.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If someone can be charged with murder of a fetus... then child support should begin upon conception. As should welfare assistance.

Yes I know the charges were dropped but you can't have it both ways.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
there should be something on the books against harming unborn children, just in general. I assume it would be like assault against the mother, + added assault against the unborn child. but this probably isn't that.