• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I keep my AC set to 28c in summer which is 82F I guess. That seems plenty cold enough for me during Japans humid and hot summers. I still have maybe another month left before I start having to run the AC.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading this thread I can see why the emission by person is double in the us compared to any other advanced nation.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't even be able to sleep at 78. Miserable, unacceptable.

My theromosat is firmly 70 during the summer. Sometimes even 68-69.

Maxximo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Generalization; Body Shaming; Prior Warning for Insensitive Commentary
Reading this thread I can see why the emission by person is double in the us compared to any other advanced nation.

Thats because 2/3 of us citizens are overweight or obese, they tend to cook on their own fat at temperatures over 30°C.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyway having temperature set to 25 deg instead of 20 because you agreed to it its a definition of first world problem.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
XnMHqf.gif

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So this is my first summer living in Germany as an American, and like nothing over here has central a/c for a variety of reasons. We've been in a bit of a heat wave the past few days, and I also thought I was one of those people that would never be able to sleep in rooms above, say, 72 degrees; like I'm a large, hairy, very sweaty man. Well, we have no ac unit, not even a fan of any kind, and I've been totally fine with the 90+ temperatures the past few days. My German wife looked moritifed when I told her some of the responses in this thread, and she was always freezing when she stayed with me in America.

I know that's not the exact point of this thread, as yeah, this is some pretty fucked up cyberpunk dystopia bullshit. But I just feel like I was so pampered in America, and to the detriment of the environment and even my own health. It's just so interesting how fast my body and mentality has adjusted to living in a place that didn't accommodate for me at all. And I'm better off for it

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. I know I shouldn't be but again I'm kinda shocked at the waste of resources by US citizens' AC usage.

In Germany and most of Europe we simply get used to >25°C indoor temperatures during summer. Currently we are in the middle of a heatwave and it's probably way warmer than that in my apartment. No one has an AC (only fans/ventilators).

Energy needs to become much more expensive in the US.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
Somehow losing the ability to regulate the temperature IN YOUR OWN DAMN HOUSE to a giant corporation is the most dystopian cyberpunk news item of the week.

In the future, controlling your own temperature will be only for the rich.

You will sweat or shiver when we say so, peasant!

that's exactly a possibility with that Bloomberg article that encouraged renting.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
At the start of summer here in Houston, 78 was unbearable. Now anything under that is freezing to me.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
78 isn't bad imo. I keep my house at 76 during the summer and I actually get a little chilly. I would probably bump it up another degree or two but I'm not the only one who lives here.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
My AC went out one day when I lived in an apartment in Florida. I put in a maintenance request, then went to bed without cracking any windows thinking I'd be fine because it was night time. I woke up at around 4am drenched in sweat and my thermostat said 94. That shit was ridiculous.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
We need to do something against climate change, but nothing that makes me even a little uncomfortable. And by we I mean everyone else. And god forbid, if i lose any freedoms inside my own four walls for that, then I'm gonna riot and burn the whole world down.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
Here in France we've got 6" sheep's wool insulation in the walls, 2ft+ thick stone walls, and lots of very efficient insulation in the roof.

As long as I can convince my wife that opening the window when it's really hot outside actually makes it hotter inside, we're generally ok. No fancy pants AC unit for us! Insulation keeps us cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

We have the same problem in the car, she puts the AC on and opens the windows!

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Here in France we've got 6" sheep's wool insulation in the walls, 2ft+ thick stone walls, and lots of very efficient insulation in the roof.

As long as I can convince my wife that opening the window when it's really hot outside actually makes it hotter inside, we're generally ok. No fancy pants AC unit for us! Insulation keeps us cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

We have the same problem in the car, she puts the AC on and opens the windows!
My apartment in germany is pretty well insulted but has a giant window / patio door for an entire wall. Even that is insutled enough but I feel like I'd have to block out the sun all day everyday to keep it relatively cool.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
When I got new thermostats from an energy saving program they offered smart ones which I declined. I never seriously thought about companies manipulating them though. I just didn't like to have something that important digitized when it didn't need to be

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
That's nothing until it breaks in the middle of summer 👀
FACTS. Happened twice to us. It's either a hotel until it's fixed or blocking the windows to try to keep more heat from coming in while staying still with multiple fans on you. Losing power in the summer sucks too, because there's nothing you can do but leave until it comes back on or roast in there :/

And say good bye to the food in the fridge too.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad some of you at least recognize how wasteful you're being. I would be freezing my ass off in some of your houses. Jesus lol. We set ours to about 74 year round and it's fine.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
We set ours to about 74 year round and it's fine.
In winter, more than 20° seem really high: I'm usually around 16 or 17° inside my bedroom and around 19-20° inside my main room.
I mean, that's 24 degrees in real temperature celsius and that's basically what I had to live with the last week here in Vienna.

It's ... not good. 😭
Use a fan, even at the slowest speed (full speed feels only useful when I want to cool down a room during the night), it make 24° more than bearable. With one, I can support up to 28° without breaking a sweat, pun intended. Over 28° is when it begin to be harder for me, even with a fan but my room usually only heat that much at the end of the day.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I grew up in Southern Maryland which gets plenty hot and muggy in summer and we never put the AC below 80 (bonus: my room was last in the ductwork, barely any AC for me!). My cousins didn't have any AC at all. You don't need to go further down to cut the humidity and keep it comfy.

Yeah it's a different story if your nights stay mid 80s, but I'm just talking about using AC to cap indoor temp at 80 and cut the humidity indoors.
lol

There is no comparison between Maryland and somewhere like Texas where the heat can be in the 90's to 100's with brutal humidity.

"use the AC just a little to get rid of humidity" yeah that's not possible in places like Houston or much of the south.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Use a fan, even at the slowest speed (full speed feels only useful when I want to cool down a room during the night), it make 24° more than bearable. With one, I can support up to 28° without breaking a sweat, pun intended. Over 28° is when it begin to be harder for me, even with a fan but my room usually only heat that much at the end of the day.
Issue is that I'm overly sensitive to noise when I'm sleeping, so the fan even at its lowest setting would keep me awake.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
My apartment doesn't go below 29°C (84°F) at night, but it's not like you have a choice other than getting used to it since the rest of the year doesn't get as hot. It was much easier living in a hotter climate with an AC.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Does everyone in the US use an AC?
How shitty insulated are your houses on top of it?
Can't speak for everywhere, but a lot of homes are very poorly insulated and not at all designed with good airflow in mind.

Hell for a lot of homes, most windows aren't even really designed to be opened.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when travelling in the US how cold stores and restaurants tended to be, but I didn't expect Americans to do the same at home. I really didn't like going from well above 30°C outside to 20 (or even below that) inside, I always felt like catching a cold at some point and I was actually freezing in some stores.

25°C (78°F) inside sounds pretty good and would probably be what I'd set my AC to if I had one. Though it only gets really uncomfortable for me once temperatures reach 28-29°C (82-84°F).

Does everyone in the US use an AC?
How shitty insulated are your houses on top of it?
Insulation only helps temporarily or if at least the nights are somewhat cool. Otherwise, temperatures indoors and outdoors will align at some point, that's just thermodynamics.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Growing up when AC was a luxury. 78 doesn't sound so bad.

We could finally afford to use it and we set it to 78 because it was cost efficient. Way better than the 110+ it would get.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Never lived in a house with ac. 25c/78f is fine but I would definitely prefer couple degrees lower at night especially.

Last edited:

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Oof.
My AC is always 72. From 9PM to 7AM it drops to 66. I also sleep in underwear and my fan on . 78? I am dying.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
A smart thermostat is the last thing I would buy for my home (hell would avoid it lol)

78 for ac sounds unbearable

When my AC broke one time and the indoor temp was 76 it was unbearable - can't imagine this 😂

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Even taking into account variations in humidity and thus body response / perceived temperature, some of the takes in this thread are frightening. Your body will be fine even if your home is a bit hot. Fans make things a lot more bearable and are hugely more energy-efficient.

Get on with the times. AC usage should be regulated in the US, you guys are absolutely unhinged statistically.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
People signed up for this????

Utilities a few years back were giving away new, free digital thermostats to people who hand-waved the fine print saying that during peak usage periods, utilities could remotely change your thermostat settings.

But you get this super-awesome shiny new touch-pad digital thermostat for FREE!!!

(You can buy the same exact thing at Home Depot for like $40 and not have anyone but you touch it)

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
78 is cool and comfortable, I have no idea what people are talking about it being unbearable.

It comfortable but not cool haha. I grew up in a house set to between 78-80 when we actually had central AC. The humidity here makes it so 78 isn't very cool.

It definitely much better than the outside temps of 95+ with high humidity.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utilities a few years back were giving away new, free digital thermostats to people who hand-waved the fine print saying that during peak usage periods, utilities could remotely change your thermostat settings.

But you get this super-awesome shiny new touch-pad digital thermostat for FREE!!!

(You can buy the same exact thing at Home Depot for like $40 and not have anyone but you touch it)
As far as I'm aware, most utility companies offer rebates on smart thermostats without opting into a smart energy savings program because adjustable thermostats naturally lead to a reduction of energy usage. By signing up for a smart savings program, you are typically provided with some money at the end of the program. Looking at my case with NYSEG, we would get $65 back at the end, in addition to whatever is saved by using less AC. You can opt out at any time as well, though obviously you'd forfeit the rewards.

This really isn't even remotely sinister, and I cannot believe the fuss people have here with 78 degrees at certain peak times. It's a good way to help your utility company, your wallet, and the planet, and it's entirely optional.