• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
Why does "the land of the free" have less freedoms than the rest of the developed world? Fucking ridiculous.

This will go through, and it'll continue until its the 1960's again in the USA.

As a black man in an "interracial" marriage (my wife is hispanic, and I'm technically of two races so where tf they draw the lines on that is anyones guess) legit keeps me up at night. Back on topic, being in Texas it's pretty interesting to see such aggressive conservative regulations coming down on companies that are primarily in liberal locations. Example, the Austin branch of Blizzard would have a HELL of a time trying to just throw their hands up and telling their employees "thems the rules" without significant backlash from their workforce. Considering this is the new reality we live in, I'm really curious exactly how said firms would handle this situation. Though honestly, I wish people would just let people make their own damn decisions with their own body and mind their business if it's got nothing to do with them, but you know... there's no profit or ruling in that logic so.. *shrug*.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

PS Studios owns Bluepoint which is in Texas
XGS has a few Bethesda studios in Austin
Nintendo has Retro in Austin
I'm sure there are others like Bioware etc

So this will make it illegal for companies to pay for having abortions out of state I believe

lock if my understanding of what's happening wrong

id Software is in the DFW area

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How on earth do you read this and frame this as game companies issue. You realize there's more than games in Texas?

Just eroding human rights… and the focus is games?

This law isn't targeting game companies…

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's just constant creeping assholery with them.

"You're being dramatic. We're not banning abortion, we're just leaving it up to the states to decide."

[five seconds later]

"Also, the states we like should be the ones deciding for every other state."

Getting sick of being told "oh, they won't do x" for the last couple years, when their whole goal is to do x, not only because they want to, but also so that they can do y and then z and then aa and all the shitty things they want to do further down the line.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so just ignore HIPAA laws. Got it.
This is not what hipaa is… this law is unconstitutional and unconscionable but hipaa doesn't protect your data from getting illegal (I don't think this is or should be illegal) medical procedures. It allows law enforcement to get your medical data.

Again, abortion shouldn't be criminalized but people need to stop internet memeing legal analysis

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Federal age of consent is 18, you'd be charged with federal grooming laws if you took someone under the age of consent out of a state where it's illegal to one where it is legal. That's what currently makes it different. Just as there is no federal law that says abortion is legal, there isn't one that says it's illegal either.
Ah thank you for clarifying. Hopefully they don't have any previous precedent to pursue this then.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The red states are speed running the quickest way to ruin their own economies. I don't care how much a company paid, I'd be out of any of those states ASAP.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The red states are speed running the quickest way to ruin their own economies. I don't care how much a company paid, I'd be out of any of those states ASAP.

They don't care.

By driving as many people who aren't wackjob fundamentalist Christians out, they cement their own relative voting base, and that's literally all they really care for.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I don't get how R states hope to actually enforce this. Abortion clinics in states where abortion is legally won't be under any obligation to provide that information to states where it is illegal. Businesses are also smart and they'll just bury these expenses and have on other reasons on the books for why a women went out of state and had a "miscarriage".
How are they going to even enforce this?
All a company needs is have a slip saying they paid for a meeting out of state. How are they going to prove otherwise?
And how are they going to enforce that? If they go to a state where it's legal then that state is not obligated (and probably won't) to report it to TX. Or they could go to Mexico which will tell Texas to fuck off. This is true for any state that wants to enforce this stupid law.

They will wait for Republicans to win the Presidency in 2024 (along with Congress), and start mass arresting people they suspect of "aiding" abortions.

At that point, who will stop them? A GOP-controlled DOJ won't.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
My studio is also in Austin, wonder how things will proceed, hate this damn states gov.

Everyone gotta vote these shitheads out.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
How are they going to even enforce this?
All a company needs is have a slip saying they paid for a meeting out of state. How are they going to prove otherwise?
Companies will mostly follow the law. Even for the ones who won't, this still has a chilling effect. Companies that fund abortion travel under the table still can't advertise it, can't mention it openly as a benefit, can't put it on their books - women who want to avail of it will need to quietly go to someone else in the company, in the hope that that person understands them and is willing to risk any corporate and personal legal liability that comes with helping.

So the answer to how they are going to enforce this kind of law, if it gets passed, is that they won't have to. Just having it on the books will achieve almost everything they want.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
There's going to be some extremely fucked up cases around things like this ending up in the supreme court over the next decade and we all know how they're all about states rights until a blue state is involved.

Victorian meat grinders he were come because that's the only logical end game for the sons and daughters of Reagan and Thatcher. Over a century of human/civil right gains stripped in a few decades of concerted effort.

Oct 27, 2017
They will wait for Republicans to win the Presidency in 2024 (along with Congress), and start mass arresting people they suspect of "aiding" abortions.

At that point, who will stop them? A GOP-controlled DOJ won't.

If the R's win the presidency in 24 they will try to enact a federal ban on abortions. All abortions would be illegal. This is just the beginning.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
I can't read this article, can OP pull the main quotes and put it in first post?

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
The fact that the company you work for has to pay for your medical needs is pretty fucked up imo. I'm glad I don't live in that country.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

PS Studios owns Bluepoint which is in Texas
XGS has a few Bethesda studios in Austin
Nintendo has Retro in Austin
I'm sure there are others like Bioware etc

So this will make it illegal for companies to pay for having abortions out of state I believe

lock if my understanding of what's happening wrong

Incredible. I actually hope they try. I'd like to see Texas Rs try to directly take on big businesses in court over this. There would be test cases, without a doubt. And even cynically, I would not be surprised to see a couple multinationals amongst them.

May 26, 2018
Incredible. I actually hope they try. I'd like to see Texas Rs try to directly take on big businesses in court over this. There would be test cases, without a doubt. And even cynically, I would not be surprised to see a couple multinationals amongst them.

Something tells me if this shit one-two punches these companies' bottom lines they'll drop abortion support like a hot potato. Social issues are fun until the wallet loses weight.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
It was only a matter of time after the Supreme Court ruled on the matter of abortions. Texas will probably lead the charge as other states follow with similar bills

walkinfast

Aug 24, 2019
I don't get how R states hope to actually enforce this. Abortion clinics in states where abortion is legally won't be under any obligation to provide that information to states where it is illegal. Businesses are also smart and they'll just bury these expenses and have on other reasons on the books for why a women went out of state and had a "miscarriage".

I get this is all an attempt to intimidate people into not even trying to get an abortion out of state, but as long as it's not illegal federally states have no real power over what people do legally in other states.

It's all about intimidation and control.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Which states are essentially landlocked for people meaning that they have to travel multiple states over to get one?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
This is tangentially a bad sign for my wife and I. We have 5 blastocysts that are genetically normal stored in Nevada due to existing bullshit in Texas. I wonder if they'll go after IVF in general. The one thing that may indicate otherwise is that the heartbeat rule is 6 weeks and blasts are 5-7 days.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is how they wage their culture wars. The public is largely not on their side on this, but they will use the power of the State to force companies to comply with their values.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
And this is why as a Texan I'm working to move my family out of this state in the next 1-2 years

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Honest question since I am not from US: is there any other felony/criminal charge that is treated this way? Like if a state prohibited Marijuana, would they make it illegal for you to consume it in another state where it is allowed? Is that even possible in a federal state?

Yes you can do it and such laws have been upheld. For instance, in the US the age of consent is different per state. It's 17 in Texas but 16 in Mississippi. You can't take a 16 year old from Texas to Mississippi just to have sex with her. Doing so still violates the law.

The laws do have to be explicitly written this way. They very rarely are.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I hope every company gives this bullshit the middle finger and ignores it. Good luck trying to enforce it and fuck off.

Nov 26, 2019
I can't imagine having to tell my employer I needed an abortion and could they please refund me for the transportation costs. Not that there's anything at all wrong with doing that, but if you're in a state where the social stigma is so high, who knows if the HR rep is actually gonna be on your side. I feel awkward anytime I have to ask my work for normal sick days off.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
didn't they just the last 2 years talking about health matters are private?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how Texas would have subject matter jurisdiction here or how BNSF v. Tyrrell would allow them to force out of state corporations to comply. But I'm guessing they aren't really caring about the legal ramifications at this point.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They don't care.

By driving as many people who aren't wackjob fundamentalist Christians out, they cement their own relative voting base, and that's literally all they really care for.

correct

a far more affective protest would be flooding the state with progressive voters and voting these fucks out