• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks Manchin and Sinema.

A new VRA would have addressed this.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Justice Department: "We vow to protect all Texas voters rights by providing Biden/Harris-branded hats and coffee mugs free of charge."

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Right after their attempts to overturn Roe, which actually might be successful, and trying to ban mask mandates in schools. Texas is trying to out-evil Florida right now, and I'd say they are doing a heck of a job.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
2018 also had a big turnout without the Covid boosts, iirc. Which is why they nuked the down ballot lol

2018's turnout was good for Texas but still in the bottom half of all states. 2018 also was largely due to Beto and organizers, I think. If there's a good competitive race, I think turn out might still be good but suppressed.

Wonder what the next steps be if red states lose the next presidential election…

They might try what they floated in 2020 and that's having State Legislature's sending their own delegates.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Democrats in office: "look things look OK from my million dollar home. I'm gonna eat good so um...get some coupons from your penny savers. You'll need them. Also just vote for us cuz we blue."

Uncle at Nintendo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jan 3, 2018
Democrats in office: "look things look OK from my million dollar home. I'm gonna eat good so um...get some coupons from your penny savers. You'll need them. Also just vote for us cuz we blue."

*incredibly smart resetera user voice* actually there is nothing the dems can do at any point in history to stop republicans

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with people attacking democrats in this thread?

Jesus some of you need to get a grip.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
These republicans love doing the most heinous shit. Unfortunately, it looks like nothing can be done to stop them. They are making the rules without any pushback. Only trump can drive people to the polls. The hate for him was legit.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Adjusting your party platform to appeal to more voters? Tired.
Trying to stop people who don't vote for your party from voting period? Wired!

This is the logical direction from the conservative project. It's depressing but not surprising.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's such hilariously minimal justification for this. Even the fiercest proponents of this shit here in Texas eventually have to rely on the classic "I've seen anecdotal evidence of real voter fraud" refrain that has zero substantive basis in reality. Even when their own people finance and operate inquiries into voter fraud:

apnews.com

Report: Trump commission did not find widespread voter fraud

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The now-disbanded voting integrity commission launched by the Trump administration uncovered no evidence to support claims of widespread voter fraud, according to an analysis of administration documents released Friday.

It's ironic that so many of these red states that originally pioneered easier voting measures (for seniors) are now the ones reactively cracking down on it once their demographic advantage started eroding. It's all just so transparently anti-Democratic. Basically a modern poll tax equivalent with a flimsy veneer of plausible deniability to fool the cable news and Facebook conspiracy consuming rubes.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine they would work THIS hard on good policies.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
I guess Democrats should've just smashed the big red Do Something button to stop Abbot & the judiciary that currently exists to rubber stamp everything he wants to do.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They know that without this kind of bullshit disenfranchisement they will lose Texas.
If every person was voting in the US the Republican party would have not won an election for decades.
They have been going at it for a while, they already made it so that Democrats cannot really win close elections anymore, and they are hard at work to make it so they can't win elections, period.

And the Democratic party acting like they are the respectable opposition they we must strive to make friends with, rather than defeat.

I suspect history would be amazing unkind to the arguments our politicians are giving right now into why they aren't doing shit about this.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with people attacking democrats in this thread?

Jesus some of you need to get a grip.
Basically, the Dems can pass a new VRA - we have two bills already, if we nuke the fillbuster. Manchin and Sinema (and other Senate Dems who haven't been vocal since those idiots provide cover) are against doing so.

This, at the same time that many Red States are passing voter suppression bills aimed at suppressing democratic votes, like this one.

Biden can't twist arms here. I agree. But the Senate Democrats - Manchin/Sinema and the rest unnamed are appalling in their apathy.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying....its amazing that they are making it harder to vote... by mail or absentee too...because this effects their base probably harder right now, and more so in red states right now...

They are still prepared to reap what they sow...amazing.

There's such hilariously minimal justification for this. Even the fiercest proponents of this shit here in Texas eventually have to rely on the classic "I've seen anecdotal evidence of real voter fraud" refrain that has zero substantive basis in reality. Even when their own people finance and operate inquiries into voter fraud:

apnews.com

Report: Trump commission did not find widespread voter fraud

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The now-disbanded voting integrity commission launched by the Trump administration uncovered no evidence to support claims of widespread voter fraud, according to an analysis of administration documents released Friday.

It's ironic that so many of these red states that originally pioneered easier voting measures (for seniors) are now the ones reactively cracking down on it once their demographic advantage started eroding. It's all just so transparently anti-Democratic. Basically a modern poll tax equivalent with a flimsy veneer of plausible deniability to fool the cable news and Facebook conspiracy consuming rubes.
Yup.

I can guarantee if Trump had won the 2020 election...we wouldnt even be talking about this. This would be so far off the GOP radar. Especially with the USPS shenanigans Trump tried to pull.

'Since that didnt work, well we'll just make it even harder.'

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Instead of trying to make the argument that your policies are better than dems, let's just make it difficult for people to vote.

This guy is worse than DeSantis and Texas quickly had a race against itself to the bottom barrel of states in this country, which is saying something when Alabama and Florida exist.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait till people are preaching to the groups most affected by this to simply "vote" to fix how hard it is for them to vote
Yup. Gotta reminds folks here that while Texas is, in many ways, fucked up, the trend towards it being more left-leaning has only been outpaced by the state legislature throwing everything it can at voter suppression and gerrymandering to counteract any gains to the Democratic party.

Granted, this is a 2016 map, but to give people an idea:

That's a very, uh, purple set of blue blobs, but it should give an idea to how big these areas are. The more white spaces in that map tend to be sparsely populated and lean right - since there are far more of those than counties that wind up going blue, the power swings accordingly.

Anyway! Hopefully this hits before the usual barrage of "fuck Texas" and "let 'em secede" and whatnot posts. We're trying down here :(

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Texas GOP is disgustingly blatant with their voter suppression efforts. It's the same shit in other red/purple states too.

I can't fathom seeing this kind of stuff and thinking it's acceptable. Republicans have sold their souls for control.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Thank you erotic grandpa for getting that post in early on in the thread.

There's a shit ton of good people here and we're doing the best we can to turn things around, but it's harder and harder every year.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Texas is a fucking shithole. republicans make this country a god damn joke. I hope this backfires dreadfully and painfully for conservatives.