• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
It's simply so Qanon folk can say "How dare you argue against me? I'm just trying to stop pedos. Are you some sort of pedo supporter?"
Yep. It's easy shorthand not just for evil but for evil that justifiably needs to be responded to with unrelenting fatal force as quickly as possible. Label "X" as a pedo and elsewhere a person like this will pick their instrument of choice to go kill them. Doesn't matter what the evidence is because the victims don't matter just the existence of the nebulous victimizers. And the same people undoubtedly have the gall to talk about "cancel culture" like it's a fucking immoral epidemic.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Human brains are very, very stupid.

Like, I can't believe how incredibly stupid they are, despite seemingly being able to do feats of complex logic and mathematics.

In any case, unlike apparently everyone posting here, I know of no friends or family that are dumb enough to fall for this shit. But then again, I pretty ruthlessly cull my social feeds for idiocy.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Does anyone know if any of these people have been brought back to reality?

Like after being arrested do the cops tell them it's not true they're being gaslighted? Or family have an intervention?

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

Like after being arrested do the cops tell them it's not true they're being gaslighted? Or family have an intervention?

A lot of them alienate their friends and family and spend their time consuming more Q shit and talking with other Qultists.

There's a subreddit thats just full of people who lost loved ones to this bullshit. Not gonna link it because its just depressing.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
A lot of them alienate their friends and family and spend their time consuming more Q shit and talking with other Qultists.

There's a subreddit thats just full of people who lost loved ones to this bullshit. Not gonna link it because its just depressing.
Holy shit. That's really sad. And scary. Especially since there are some coming I to congress. How the hell do we deal with that?

I never thought crazy satanic conspiracy theories would ever become mainstream and have a dangerous president telling them their saving the country. Jfc

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. That's really sad. And scary. Especially since there are some coming I to congress. How the hell do we deal with that?

I never thought crazy satanic conspiracy theories would ever become mainstream and have a dangerous president telling them their saving the country. Jfc

Its hard because every setback, debunking, or lie revealed is countered with goalposts moving or that its part of the plan. They have this phrase "disinformation is necessary" so anything Q says that doesn't come true is just written off as them lying to throw off the "deep state."

These people are taking oaths to become "digital warriors", they are incorporating a lot of Evangelical shit into their beliefs and that just makes it harder to break.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is horrifying.

I actually just lost a friend to what seems like the precursor to this kind of behavior. Actually, they used to be my SO. Out of nowhere all the Plandemic and pedo shit just... arrived on their feed.

Is it just me, or this like horror movie scary?

Edit: i know it's not just me.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Good god.

What are the odds Q is just some Russian plant to sow discord and division and make these believers rabid and unhinged to disrupt us. another branch of the known election interference?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

QAnon fits the same modus operandi of other forms of extremist ideological thinking; isolation from a broader social community, cultivation of culture that positions the subject as a victim in addition to knowledge and power, and entrenchment in a community that presents itself as welcoming and supportive.

It follows the same pattern that every cult or fanatical ideology has followed throughout human history. KKK, death cults, religious extremism, political extremism, and so on. All of these ideological groups target people who are isolated, confused, afraid, uneducated, anxious, etc, or any combination of. People who are susceptible to conspiratorial thinking have the logic and reasoning facets of their brain overruled as they get caught into an information feedback loop that persists "truths" that are often enormously contradictory and, at worst, self fulfilling. Ideologically they present society and human beings as in some kind of danger or threat, usually from an ominous, loosely defined force that operates mysteriously, of which has subjugated most of society. The susceptible person buys into the belief that the knowledge provided by the ideology positions them as someone more informed, knowledable, powerful, and of betterment to society than others. They know the truth, while everyone else is a victim, while their anxieties about life, society, or whatever else (justified or not) are satiated as by believing they understand the mechanisms of social disaster they are thus prepared to face it.

The psychology of how fanatical ideologies develop and manifest are fascinating and horrifying. QAnon isn't anything new, so to speak, but the methodology in which it has spread is. QAnon was born in a digital age, nurtured by the internet, and has managed to spread so far entirely because of social media and digital platforms. It is an unchecked, self fulfilling, illogical feedback loop that spreads almost effortlessly, like a virus, by virtue of subjugated individuals having the means to share their ideology with the world.

This is also why isolation and ostracism do not work as a means to combat fanatical ideology. There is a mountain of research and study on this. People subjugated by conspiratorial and fanatical ideologies are already entrenched in incredibly supportive groups that provide a sense of community. Humans are social animals and we're more likely to follow behaviour and belief systems that fit our community. Religious extremist groups, and racist groups, use the same method; sure your friends and family hate you and abandoned you, but you have so much family here, who love and care and support you and fuel your beliefs because you're right and they're wrong. All those people that abandoned you? They're the enemy, or they're misinformed. But you're not alone, you have us.

It's further worsened in a digital age where a sense of community is no longer limited to immediate physical means, but instead anyone in the world. Larger Islamic fanatical and right wing nationalists cottoned on to this pretty quick and have long been using the internet as a means to target individuals with their ideology, subjugated their critical reasoning, while also providing them with a safe haven and community to feel supported.

It's a fucked up situation.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to lose my brother in law to this shit. He doesn't want to listen to reason. He believes Hollywood celebrities like Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg and others are involved in a pedophile ring with Epstein, but for some reason he also believes Trump is innocent of everything. He thinks Clinton killed Epstein and that Tom Hanks recently became a Greek citizen to avoid arrest in the US.... It's so fucking frustrating and nothing I say is changing his mind. I really don't know how to help him.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
QAnon fits the same modus operandi of other forms of extremist ideological thinking; isolation from a broader social community, cultivation of culture that positions the subject as a victim in addition to knowledge and power, and entrenchment in a community that presents itself as welcoming and supportive.

It follows the same pattern that every cult or fanatical ideology has followed throughout human history. KKK, death cults, religious extremism, political extremism, and so on. All of these ideological groups target people who are isolated, confused, afraid, uneducated, anxious, etc, or any combination of. People who are susceptible to conspiratorial thinking have the logic and reasoning facets of their brain overruled as they get caught into an information feedback loop that persists "truths" that are often enormously contradictory and, at worst, self fulfilling. Ideologically they present society and human beings as in some kind of danger or threat, usually from an ominous, loosely defined force that operates mysteriously, of which has subjugated most of society. The susceptible person buys into the belief that the knowledge provided by the ideology positions them as someone more informed, knowledable, powerful, and of betterment to society than others. They know the truth, while everyone else is a victim, while their anxieties about life, society, or whatever else (justified or not) are satiated as by believing they understand the mechanisms of social disaster they are thus prepared to face it.

The psychology of how fanatical ideologies develop and manifest are fascinating and horrifying. QAnon isn't anything new, so to speak, but the methodology in which it has spread is. QAnon was born in a digital age, nurtured by the internet, and has managed to spread so far entirely because of social media and digital platforms. It is an unchecked, self fulfilling, illogical feedback loop that spreads almost effortlessly, like a virus, by virtue of subjugated individuals having the means to share their ideology with the world.

This is also why isolation and ostracism do not work as a means to combat fanatical ideology. There is a mountain of research and study on this. People subjugated by conspiratorial and fanatical ideologies are already entrenched in incredibly supportive groups that provide a sense of community. Humans are social animals and we're more likely to follow behaviour and belief systems that fit our community. Religious extremist groups, and racist groups, use the same method; sure your friends and family hate you and abandoned you, but you have so much family here, who love and care and support you and fuel your beliefs because you're right and they're wrong. All those people that abandoned you? They're the enemy, or they're misinformed. But you're not alone, you have us.

It's further worsened in a digital age where a sense of community is no longer limited to immediate physical means, but instead anyone in the world. Larger Islamic fanatical and right wing nationalists cottoned on to this pretty quick and have long been using the internet as a means to target individuals with their ideology, subjugated their critical reasoning, while also providing them with a safe haven and community to feel supported.

It's a fucked up situation.
Fascinating and thanks, that makes sense. Wow. So you're saying embracing these individuals who have attached themselves to this cult thinking is better than isolating them? So giving kindness or friendship? Or in the case of US House of Representatives, let them participate and hope they reduce their isolation of society as a whole and possibly come around and out of it?

I don't know anyone in particular that has shared this with me but I had a friend who fits your characteristics who was, during the early part of the pandemic starting to say some ridiculous shit about the state of things. He never claimed any of the things in the Qspiracy but I could feel him leaning that way. I happened to be one of very few people outside of his immediate family who he ever engaged with on a personal level. I am someone he met when first relocating here and have remained in touch off and on ever since. But during the initial quarantining I couldn't take it anymore and just cut him off. For my own sanity and because I refused to engage that nonsense.

Haha now I feel like I may have lost a chance to keep him from going deeper. Lol

Oh well yes the reasons they get involved all make sense and yes fucked up but damn what do we do if for example in the US it continues to grow and gets worse? Assassinations of these famous liberals on their lists? More direct Violence in the streets?

I mean wtf. is there a way to derail the train? I see people now starting to push back in mainstream outlets but with people at the top feeding it there does not seem to be an end in sight. hopefully he loses election and it gets dampened (or worse)

First time in my life been sincerely concerned that there may be a point of no return for this behavior leading to an all out culture war. As the rest of us are trying to bring hope and common decency back to society and stop systemic racism and other bigotry, this shit rears its head like this with the craziest shit I've ever heard.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
I'm about to lose my brother in law to this shit. He doesn't want to listen to reason. He believes Hollywood celebrities like Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg and others are involved in a pedophile ring with Epstein, but for some reason he also believes Trump is innocent of everything. He thinks Clinton killed Epstein and that Tom Hanks recently became a Greek citizen to avoid arrest in the US.... It's so fucking frustrating and nothing I say is changing his mind. I really don't know how to help him.
Good god man. That sucks. It's like they are living in some alternate reality that makes them feel smarter than the rest of us

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Fascinating and thanks, that makes sense. Wow. So you're saying embracing these individuals who have attached themselves to this cult thinking is better than isolating them? So giving kindness or friendship? Or in the case of US House of Representatives, let them participate and hope they reduce their isolation of society as a whole and possibly come around and out of it?

It's a hard to find a moral, social, and legal middle ground that is the is the best solution because reality is there are no guarantees. We must still be confident in preserving our own moral convictions and safety, so nobody should feel obligated to express absolute tolerance of self destructive behaviour. People are ultimately arbiters of their own destinies, for better or worse, and it's important we don't needlessly sacrifice our own wellbeing and health for something that is beyond our control.

But yes, there is an argument that engagement and education can combat fanaticism, which is rooted in the process of deradicalisation. This usually involves giving a person a sense of community beyond their own fanatical ideology, educating them on the irrational and destructive behaviour of said ideology, and providing the appropriate support networks to reinforce this. There's a lot of great documentaries and studies on deradicalised nationalists, religious extremist, and so on, coupled with the lengths these ideologies will go to in order to combat deradicalisation processes. Neo Nazi and Islamic Extremist groups will position membership as so important that to leave is to essential die; to not only lose your radicalised community, who are intolerant of those not radicalised and especially those who were and now want to leave, but to also make you a target to the people you once called family. You can see it even in other branches of devout fanatical thinking, like religious parents disowning their LGBT+ children. You're either with them, or against them.

The core of it is that there isn't any simple solution. Fanatical ideology and predatory groups are not an individual problem, they're a social, human problem. In all their manifestations they are formed out of larger, complex social and political mechanisms working over long periods of time. They don't just form into existence out of nothing, they grow, often over decades or longer. When people refer to this behaviour as a sickness of society it really, truly is and the cure isn't going to come quickly. Curbing the development of dangerous fanatical ideologies is a long, multi-generational process of social and communal equality, health, and education. People collectively need to change.

Which, of course, puts fanaticism in a challenging middle ground. I'd never ask a minority group to befriend a white racist because that's the solution. The onus isn't on them to fix this, and putting themselves in a dangerous situation when they already exist as a target is a terrible suggestion. I wouldn't ask person to be endlessly tolerant of their racist, bigoted, homophobic, utterly insane family member who incessantly brings up nonsensical conspiratorial bullshit at every opportunity, and has proven time and time again overwhelmingly resistant to reason and logic. Because, again, people need to look after themselves and protect their own health.

But in the same breath isolation doesn't work either; it'll probably just make things worse. But that "worse" is largely beyond a single individual's control and nobody is at fault for cutting intolerable people out of their lives. Their sense of community is important, but so is yours. Fanaticism is a complex phenomena. If it were as easy to fix as just remaining friends with people subjugated by hysterical thinking, we wouldn't have a problem with it in the first place.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
It's a hard to find a moral, social, and legal middle ground that is the is the best solution because reality is there are no guarantees. We must still be confident in preserving our own moral convictions and safety, so nobody should feel obligated to express absolute tolerance of self destructive behaviour. People are ultimately arbiters of their own destinies, for better or worse, and it's important we don't needlessly sacrifice our own wellbeing and health for something that is beyond our control.

But yes, there is an argument that engagement and education can combat fanaticism, which is rooted in the process of deradicalisation. This usually involves giving a person a sense of community beyond their own fanatical ideology, educating them on the irrational and destructive behaviour of said ideology, and providing the appropriate support networks to reinforce this. There's a lot of great documentaries and studies on deradicalised nationalists, religious extremist, and so on, coupled with the lengths these ideologies will go to in order to combat deradicalisation processes. Neo Nazi and Islamic Extremist groups will position membership as so important that to leave is to essential die; to not only lose your radicalised community, who are intolerant of those not radicalised and especially those who were and now want to leave, but to also make you a target to the people you once called family. You can see it even in other branches of devout fanatical thinking, like religious parents disowning their LGBT+ children. You're either with them, or against them.

The core of it is that there isn't any simple solution. Fanatical ideology and predatory groups are not an individual problem, they're a social, human problem. In all their manifestations they are formed out of larger, complex social and political mechanisms working over long periods of time. They don't just form into existence out of nothing, they grow, often over decades or longer. When people refer to this behaviour as a sickness of society it really, truly is and the cure isn't going to come quickly. Curbing the development of dangerous fanatical ideologies is a long, multi-generational process of social and communal equality, health, and education. People collectively need to change.

Which, of course, puts fanaticism in a challenging middle ground. I'd never ask a minority group to befriend a white racist because that's the solution. The onus isn't on them to fix this, and putting themselves in a dangerous situation when they already exist as a target is a terrible suggestion. I wouldn't ask person to be endlessly tolerant of their racist, bigoted, homophobic, utterly insane family member who incessantly brings up nonsensical conspiratorial bullshit at every opportunity, and has proven time and time again overwhelmingly resistant to reason and logic. Because, again, people need to look after themselves and protect their own health.

But in the same breath isolation doesn't work either; it'll probably just make things worse. But that "worse" is largely beyond a single individual's control and nobody is at fault for cutting intolerable people out of their lives. Their sense of community is important, but so is yours. Fanaticism is a complex phenomena. If it were as easy to fix as just remaining friends with people subjugated by hysterical thinking, we wouldn't have a problem with it in the first place.
Cool thx. I guess I'm just on edge these last 6 months or year like everyone else and I'm going to have to chill take care of my own mental Health, as you said. Maybe start turning off the news, ignoring certain threads and taking a break from it all, driving me to be stressed out.

Will definitely check out some documentaries on de-radicalization. Might give me some hope. Thx

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
They're having a "Save the Kids" march in my town today. The organizers are known local FB covid deniers and bullhorns of bad information. I'm am so ready to GTFO of this town. This town seemed so great from the outside, 5 years ago, now I wonder why we even moved here.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Why they always use "pedo" to attack any they hate LBGT community, democrat....

I recall listening to an interview on NPR with a researcher on the 80s Satanic Panic about the QAnon, Pizzagate, etc. She explained that during periods of societal change, people who are vehemently against it will ascribe what society considers the very-worst crimes to the people they are struggling against. In the medieval ages it was witchcraft, in the 1950s it was Communism, in the 1980s to today it's pedophilia. She said if arson was considered by society to be the worst thing you could commit, QAnon would be making claims global elites were a secret society of arsonists.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I recall listening to an interview on NPR with a researcher on the 80s Satanic Panic about the QAnon, Pizzagate, etc. She explained that during periods of societal change, people who are vehemently against it will ascribe what society considers the very-worst crimes to the people they are struggling against. In the medieval ages it was witchcraft, in the 1950s it was Communism, in the 1980s to today it's pedophilia. She said if arson was considered by society to be the worst thing you could commit, QAnon would be making claims global elites were a secret society of arsonists.

That makes so much sense, it should be very simple to see from this point forward.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
How is someone that unstable and obviously violent, allowed to be released on a 11k bond. That just makes no fucking sense.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
img.png

www.wonkette.com

Don't Go To Any 'Save Our Children' Marches — They Are Not What You'd Think

Yeah, it's QAnon crap, no, they're not actually trying to save any real children.

The sort of backwards logic it takes to hold a sign like that really just says it all.

OP
OP
BoboBrazil

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
At this point I'd say if any family members or friends start showing signs of going down these rabbit holes, go on their social media profiles and mute hashtags/accounts, disable Youtube channels from being recommended, unfollow/hide FB pages and posts, etc... anything like that that you can do. Some will figure it out, but hopefully if any aren't in too deep yet it will stop them going any further.

I think that's all that can be done now tbh.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Well said. This shit just fills the void in our psyche that would have been filled by religion 1000 years ago.
We're always chasing some magical father/parental figure to give all our control over to. Its like they're some deeply disturbing programming in a primal part of brains that just wants people to mindlessly submit to something.

5LvoYgp.gif

Oct 31, 2017
I'm getting strong vibes of the UK in the early 2000s, when paedo panic reached a point in which a paediatrician was attacked by mobs encouraged by the scum papers.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They believe this is a biblical, cosmological battle of Good ( QAnon ) versus Evil embodied by the 'deep state'. I like the comparisons to witchcraft/communism/ satanism someone mentioned earlier. You will never convince these people they are wrong. That would be affront to their virtuous goodness and thus an affront to the almighty God. It is especially bad this time because of the worldwide reach of the internet.

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I saw the March in Hollywood while riding by bike. It wasn't large, but it wasn't small either. A good 200 to 250 people. All with Hillary pizza gate signs, anti pedo signs and so on. Some MAGA hats too. No masks of course.

Shit is crazy.