• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjoys

Avenger
Nov 10, 2017
Any updates on this crazy shit?
20 other states have requested to join the case to oppose Texas

And here's an amicus brief from 20 states (and three territories) in support of the defendants (and in opposition to Texas's overturn-the-election #SCOTUS suit): https://supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/22/22O155/163379/20201210144443769_Texas%20v.%20Pennsylvania%20-%20Motion%20and%20Br.%20of%20Amici%20DC%20et%20al.pdf

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
20 other states have requested to join the case to oppose Texas

638069.gif

Oct 27, 2017
for anyone who wants a clear visualization of who has supported who in their Amicus briefs; I left Ohio and Arizona blank because they were fairly wishy-washy

MiPGzI1.png

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Help a non-American: so this is a soft coup via lawsuits and also a soft civial war also being fought by lawsuits?

Also why is any of this even possible? How can one state even sue another never mind sue it for not voting the same way it did?

Can't lie, the US constitution and govermental system looks like a shambles right now.

What I dilike the most is it feels like far too much is being normalised here: this should be eliciting huge public pushback and should see the bad faith actors getting heavily censured and penalised but there's no sign of that at all it seems. I appreciate Covid is probably impacting things too but I can't shake feeling it's actually not by much.

Or am I just missing nuance here?

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Help a non-American: so this is a soft coup via lawsuits and also a soft civial war also being fought by lawsuits?

Also why is any of this even possible? How can one state even sue another never mind sue it for not voting the same way it did?

Can't lie, the US constitution and govermental system looks like a shambles right now.

What I dilike the most is it feels like far too much is being normalised here: this should be eliciting huge public pushback and should see the bad faith actors getting heavily censured and penalised but there's no sign of that at all it seems. I appreciate Covid is probably impacting things too but I can't shake feeling it's actually not by much.

First of all: It's a not a civil war at all.

Secondly, the Constitution explicitly allows states to sue one another. That's one of the main reasons the Supreme Court was set up, to settle legal disputes between states.

Thirdly, technically this isn't about the candidate it voted for, but rather the manner of the voting process.

Fourthly, most people are expecting SCOTUS to throw the suit out saying that Texas lacks standing, which more or less means that states can't sue over this shit, but they still have to let the process of soliciting briefs and responses work itself out.

Fifthly, so far everything is technically working as intended. Republicans are probing some of the darkest corners of our electoral process, but the fabric is holding. They have yet to technically achieve anything beyond create doubt in the populace.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

It's not really a coup because nothing will come of it.

It's performative litigation with the express intent of appeasing the outgoing POTUS. That's it.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017

106 house Rs sign on in support of this fucking train wreck.

How the fuck do we even go back from this?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Texas is asking for permission to file. They haven't even been granted standing. They can do this whenever they feel like it. It's the court equivalent of a meaningless shitpost at this point in time.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Is Utah the only state that had the AG support Texas, but had the governor, and governor-elect, release a statement that could be summed up as "We don't support the AG's stupid waste of money"?

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK

Secondly, the Constitution explicitly allows states to sue one another. That's one of the main reasons the Supreme Court was set up, to settle legal disputes between states.

Thirdly, technically this isn't about the candidate it voted for, but rather the manner of the voting process.

Fourthly, most people are expecting SCOTUS to throw the suit out saying that Texas lacks standing, which more or less means that states can't sue over this shit, but they still have to let the process of soliciting briefs and responses work itself out.

Fifthly, so far everything is technically working as intended. Republicans are probing some of the darkest corners of our electoral process, but the fabric is holding. They have yet to technically achieve anything beyond create doubt in the populace.
Ok that makes more sense then. And explains sense it's being allowed to play out. Hopefully the fabric does indeed hold firm.

Thanks for other replies too; I won't quote all and bulk out thread but they combine to clarify this for an outsider.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

All true. But that doubt is a serious situation for the health of the country's democratic processes. And it is not a sustainable path if the country intends to have a semblance of a functioning government in the future.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
This is literally attaching your name to something you know is going to fail, just so you can claim support for it when it comes time for re-election, because you need Trumpers to vote for you.
The solicitation for members to sign up to this also explicitly threatened that Trump was going to take a hard look at the list and who didn't sign up.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I just can't explain why they insist on tying themselves to a fucking loser like Trump.

Yeah it's not Trump they want, it's his base.

In a few years we're going to see a lot of Republican politicians fighting over who was the "trumpier" person, or who fought for trump the most in his time of need, etc. It will be disgusting and embarassing.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's not Trump they want, it's his base.

In a few years we're going to see a lot of Republican politicians fighting over who was the "trumpier" person, or who fought for trump the most in his time of need, etc. It will be disgusting and embarassing.

"years"

this shit is literally happening right now in Georgia

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't explain why they insist on tying themselves to a fucking loser like Trump.
Trump got 70 million votes after lying, stealing, cheating, betraying, playing golf for nearly an entire year of his term and getting 300,000 Americans dead.

He's far, far more popular than any Republican.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Someone check r/conservative
Trump got 70 million votes after lying, stealing, cheating, betraying, playing golf for nearly an entire year of his term and getting 300,000 Americans dead.

He's far, far more popular than any Republican.
I feel like looking back at republicans whose sole accomplishment for the last 12 years has been not doing anything and giving money to the wealthy... we shouldn't be surprised.

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018
So this is basically just becoming a purity test, isn't it. They surely know it's going to fail, but Trump is making his list of states and elected Republicans that did or did not support it, which will be used against them in the future.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The assumption is Trump/MAGA is still going to be a major force from the sidelines and will influence at least 2022 and 2024.
It'll be interesting to see what happens to those plans if he has a stroke and gets incapacitated on national tv/gets dementia/straight up dies without naming a successor/intentionally setting off a Republican civil war/naming someone to intentionally mess with the GOP. Let alone him getting deplatformed and sent to jail. Or straight up attempts to flee the country

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Because millions of Republican voters have tied themselves to Trump and the cult.

And not only that. So far, the non-rabid Trump supporting Republicans are totally fine with all this shit. There are millions of Trump supporters out there, but also millions of Mitt Romney types who look at the Trump cult and say "Yeah, so they're crazy. At least they vote R."

Status
Not open for further replies.