• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Gun stores are essential business and should be allowed to remain open during the COVID-19 pandemic, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said Friday. Paxton said in his nonbinding opinion that state law prevents cities and counties from "adopting regulations related to the transfer, possession, or ownership of firearms, or commerce in firearms."

Rep. Dustin Burrows, R-Lubbock, on Tuesday requested that Paxton's office weigh in on whether firearm sales can be listed as essential businesses by local officials, as businesses across the state have shuttered due to shelter-in-place orders designed to slow spread of the new coronavirus.

"Having access to tools of self-protection, hunting and for keeping your property safe and secure is always essential. It's even more essential for access during times of uncertainty and emergency," Burrows said in a written statement. Many cities and counties had not designated gun retailers, ranges or manufacturers as essential businesses in their stay-at-home orders, Burrows said in his letter. However, San Antonio and Dallas County did exempt the fire arms businesses. "It does not appear that cities or counties have the authority to restrict the transfer of firearms, even during a natural disaster," Burrows wrote in his request.

The opinion comes less than 72 hours after the agency received Burrows' request — a remarkably fast turnaround on a process that routinely takes weeks or months.

www.texastribune.org

Texas gun stores are essential businesses, may stay open during the pandemic, attorney general says

City and county officials cannot prohibit the sale of guns during an emergency declaration, according to the Texas Attorney General.

giphy.gif

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
This is not just in Texas. My manager received an email from the range he belongs to telling him they are open and we are in Mecklenburg County in North Carolina.

Nov 6, 2017
I mean, I don't think they should be, but it may be a slippery slope to claim they aren't essential and be sued over a violation of the 2nd amendment.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they could take it seriously and tell people to quit stockpiling ammo because they think Obama is behind all this.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Here in Wisconsin the gun stores are open, 10 customers at a time. They have been crazy busy and ammo shelves are low on stock.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me gets it because many of my friends are hunters, but the other part of me knows this is just people stockpiling for home protection.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Chicago too. Because you can't let those gun homicide numbers drop.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
I mean when you have minorities getting threatened over this, people beating themselves up over fucking toilet paper and cops flat out telling people they are not responding to "lesser" crimes any more. I cant blame people for wanting to get some extra "insurance" in these troubling times.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Abortions though are non-essential and are de facto banned on pain of fine or jail time.

Coronavirus: Texas says abortions 'non-essential' amid pandemic

As US states ramp up restrictions to contain the coronavirus, Texas has joined Ohio in deeming nearly all abortions as non-essential procedures that must be delayed.

In Texas, providers can be fined or jailed for violating the order.

Abortions are banned after 20 weeks post-fertilisation in Texas and women must receive counselling about non-abortion options before obtaining the procedure.

Ohio is similarly restrictive and last year passed a bill banning abortion after six weeks, though the ban has been blocked in the courts. Texas politicians have also filed a similar ban.

Last week, US gynecology groups, including the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, issued a joint statement calling for abortions to be protected during the crisis.

"It is also a time-sensitive service for which a delay of several weeks, or in some cases days, may increase the risks or potentially make it completely inaccessible," the statement said.

"The consequences of being unable to obtain an abortion profoundly impact a person's life, health, and well-being."

The provider groups also noted that most abortion care is not delivered in hospital settings.

www.bbc.co.uk

Coronavirus: Texas says abortions 'non-essential' amid pandemic

Facing medical supply shortages, two US states impose restrictions - critics warn move goes too far.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I know nothing about gun shops... but they constantly have customers huh? Is there lease/trade in/upgrade programs for customers like mobile phone shops?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
They need the guns to hunt for food like any good American would in the time of crisis.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Is it really that surprising? Hell, I'm thinking of getting out for some target practice after being stuck inside so much. If game stores are open (even with digital purchases being a thing), it shouldn't be surprising that other types of retail stores are open too.

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Legit question for this thread - How do I kill the 30-50 feral Canadians that run into my yard within 3-5 mins while my small kids play?

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Just wanted to remark that, because of the apparent flood of submissions of COVID article submissions and thus tightened standards, even THIS headline was deemed not oniony enough for r/nottheonion. I know this because I submitted it, and a bot removed it and scolded me.