• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I live just outside of Dallas, and one night I woke up to this sight in my backyard:

J1Hl9Lz.jpg

Police officer and K-9 breach the backyard gate. Not visible, but 2 other officers are hiding behind the fence and holding the gate open waiting for the signal to advice forward.

Happened 2 years ago now, but this was what my wife and I woke up to one morning. Saw flashes of light outside the bedroom windows and thought it was just lighting. When I peeked through the blinds to see if it was raining, I saw 4 police officers with their guns drawn and a K-9 unit searching my back yard!

I immediately called 911 to find out what the hell was going on! They had been chasing a car burglar through the neighborhood and the K-9 had tracked him to my backyard.

I have security cameras all around the house, so after everything was done I replayed the recordings to see how this all got started. I found that the suspect had jumped the wood fence of my rear neighbor, before jumping the fence of my left side neighbor and then bolted across the street pass my wife's car in the driveway. According to the time stamp on the cameras, the police were roughly 1 hour behind him. They eventually caught him and used my camera footage as evidence against him.

A9iYOr6.jpg

It's scary sometimes. The police never identified themselves to me or knocked on the door to let me know they were there or what they were doing. I only just happened to see their flash lights In the early morning hours and got the run down on what was happening from a 911 dispatcher.
I also had an odd encounter with a police at my home before. When one of our neighbors in our court of a previous home was threatening suicide, and supposedly had a gun.

Of course, I didn't know this, or was even aware that the cops were outside my home until I went to check the mail, then opened the door, and there was an officer perched down on my porch, with a rifle fully drawn, and then turned around surprised when I opened my door, and told me to go back into my home because there was a operation going on, and shouted at me to go back inside the house. I shut the door, then looked outside my window, and there were at least 3 other officers I could see just taking position in front of other people's homes.

I mean, the courteous thing to do would've been to maybe let people know if you're just going to be sitting on their porch, and armed, or that, you know, there may be danger other than from them.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Why in the everloving fuck would you have your gun pulled on a non-emergency wellness check?

I'd say charge the cop with 2nd degree murder but what's the point when they will probably just give him a 2 week suspension with pay.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When your only tool is a hammer, you see every problem as a nail.

"The system is working as intended". We need national police reform NOW.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cops showing a picture of a gun from inside the same house they said they weren't allowed to show pictures from because of privacy laws, is some next level evil bullshit. The way they keep conflating the gun/bedroom/threat words is disgusting.

1. Was she holding or pointing the gun when you shot her? NO OR YOU'D HAVE SAID THIS.
2. Was the gun in the same room? NO OR YOU'D HAVE SAID THIS AND FURTHER< YOU COULD NOT POSSIBLY HAVE SEEN BOTH THINGS UNLESS SHE WAS HOLDING IT.
3. Did you see the gun before you went in the house? NO OR YOU'D HAVE SAID THIS.

So the cops even MENTIONING the gun is fucking outlandishly evil and fraudulent.

Surprised I haven't seen them question "playing violent video games with a kid at 230am" or maybe that's coming.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Just fyi, the press conference is currently on CNN from the victim's family, and it's fire, so for anybody who wants to tune in.

Nothing but truth bombs, and they're just tearing down Fort Worth PD pretty hard.

It's the family speaking now.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just fyi, the press conference is currently on CNN from the victim's family, and it's fire, so for anybody who wants to tune in.

Nothing but truth bombs, and they're just tearing down Fort Worth PD pretty hard.

It's the family speaking now.
Oh wow, it's the same lawyer as the one for Botham's family in the Guyger case. Makes sense.

The door was open to let the breeze in. Tatiana was playing Call of Duty with her nephew; apparently she was a gamer.

Last edited:

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Cops showing a picture of a gun from inside the same house they said they weren't allowed to show pictures from because of privacy laws, is some next level evil bullshit. The way they keep conflating the gun/bedroom/threat words is disgusting.

1. Was she holding or pointing the gun when you shot her? NO OR YOU'D HAVE SAID THIS.
2. Was the gun in the same room? NO OR YOU'D HAVE SAID THIS AND FURTHER< YOU COULD NOT POSSIBLY HAVE SEEN BOTH THINGS UNLESS SHE WAS HOLDING IT.
3. Did you see the gun before you went in the house? NO OR YOU'D HAVE SAID THIS.

So the cops even MENTIONING the gun is fucking outlandishly evil and fraudulent.

Surprised I haven't seen them question "playing violent video games with a kid at 230am" or maybe that's coming.
I'm sure myself and many people would be willing to soften on cops if they didn't pull this shit where they desperately jump at the chance to recontextualize an obvious screw up as "good police work". Departments can't just say that someone they hired fucked up. Instead they rush to make any tenuous connections they can to turn a game playing aunt into a violent threat and a simple call to check on a neighbor into a summons to a gun fight. And they know there's a population of cop worshipers who will eat it all up and contribute to a lessened sentence at least or complete acquittal at best. I don't know why there are people still willing to give the institution the benefit of the doubt when you can pretty much set your watch by this gross pattern.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Oh wow, it's the same lawyer as the one for Botham's family in the Guyger case. Makes sense.

The door was open to let the breeze in. Tatiana was playing Call of Duty with her nephew; apparently she was a gamer.
That's exactly why I thought the door was open.
We finally had a cool front with relief from 90+ degree weather.
I opened my back door for the same reason.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Shooter should be tried for murder.

The victim couldn't have been more innocent. This is just absolutely fucked up.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the fact that the mayor is openly denouncing it will make some modicum of a difference.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The police chief said he was due to be fired and dishonorably discharged before he decided to resign.

I bet he's arrested today.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I can't even get angry about stories like this anymore ....just makes me incredible sad.

I'll never understand how humans can disregard another humans life like that....the US Gun culture and racism has resulted in a trigger happy Police Force that just can't be controlled.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Why the fuck would you have your gun out during a wellness check? Holy shit

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
When your only tool is a hammer, you see every problem as a nail.

"The system is working as intended". We need national police reform NOW.

This is a cycle that no one wants to fix. You have so many guns on the streets that the police needs guns too. Then you need to teach these police to use these guns because everyone has a gun. Now the police is hyper sensitive and so it is better to be judge by 12 than to be carried out by 6.

If there were less guns then the police wouldn't have to be hypersensitive to guns thinking everyone owns a gun.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Why wouldn't it be OK? Everything they said is true. We not allowed to post facts here now?

Because it is a childish generalization and not factual in any way. We aren't going to get shit done or create a better environment by saying "ACAB", suggesting law enforcement should disappear, or any of that shit. We should be more concerned with realistic goals like consistent psychological and emotional tests of police officers or training that emphasizes de-escalation instead of running into every situation with your gun drawn like this dumbass cop did.

Also him resigning should not be the end of the story, this guy needs to be put on trial for murder. And hopefully he serves a real sentence, not the slap on the wrist the Dallas officer got.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Hurray they were going to fire him anyway, but that doesn't excuse what they were trying to do by releasing a blurry isolated picture of a gun.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
This guy is going to have to deal with absolutely 0 consequences.
TBH, we need to have a 1:1 rule. If an innocent person gets shot and killed by the police in non-threatening situations/non-critical situations with 0 valid reason to have a firearm out, that police officer should be immediately be stripped of their title and put in prison for a minimum of 20 years with a murder felony charge and the inability to be reinstated in any type of role that requires the use of firearms in any capacity from carnival water gun attendee to soldier.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The cop just resigned. I hope they arrest him now. Mayor called the shooting "unjustified".

The police chief said he was due to be fired and dishonorably discharged before he decided to resign.

I bet he's arrested today.

Why isn't he under arrest yet? There's no fucking doubt that he did it. In what other scenario does a known murderer get to walk the street freely days after they committed the act that's on video?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck would you have your gun out during a wellness check? Holy shit

Because the system of American policing is broken from the ground up. The profession targets and attracts chicken shit, insecure power hungry white supremacists who are trained to be soldiers rather than peacekeepers, and who are taught that every person of color is a persistent threat. They are fucking scum.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This shit has gone from rage inducing to just fucking depressing me to no end. I can't with this God damn countrys police force.

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck? Did they even knock on the door to see if the owner was home? I can't comprehend how idiotic it was the way they approached this.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck? Did they even knock on the door to see if the owner was home? I can't comprehend how idiotic it was the way they approached this.

No, he parked away from the house and started creeping around her house like some stalker. That when Atatiana got up because she heard something outside while she was playing videogames with her nephew.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
No, and they hid their police cars for whatever reason. They chose to play stealth, got spooked when the lady checked to see what was outside and shot her giving her no time to react from being blinded by the powerful flashlight. She probably didn't even hear them well depending on the type of window she had, though even if she could he shot so quick he didn't even get time to finish barking out his first fear order. She never even found out they were cops.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cops: The video game character the suspect was controlling had a gun and was actively firing it so we had no choice but to defend ourselves.

At the very least it does seem like the police department is not even gonna try defending the shooter and will be pursuing a criminal investigation against him.

Guarantee you 100% there are still people on that force that will want to see him proved innocent

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I heard the audio on NPR.

Fucking sickening, disgusting.

Most of all, it just... was so ... hurtful. Someone is dead. An innocent person is dead because of some fuckheaded murdering piece of shit. He should be put on trial. In jail. I almost want to say I can't believe it, but I can.

Something needs to be done with the cops in general. I don't know what.